THIS JUST IN ~ CURRENT NEWS STORIES

breaking-news-background-planet-260nw-667420906.jpg

ONGOING CRIME BREAKING NEWS!

Starting in January 2020, this thread is about the news as it breaks!

Bernard Madoff says he is dying and is asking a judge for compassionate release from prison, where he is serving 150 years for orchestrating the largest Ponzi scheme in history, according to a Wednesday federal court filing.

Madoff, 81, has terminal kidney failure and a life expectancy of less than 18 months. When the court sentenced him, “it was clear that Madoff’s 150-year prison sentence was symbolic for three reasons: retribution, deterrence, and for the victims,” the court filing states. “This Court must now consider whether keeping Madoff incarcerated … is truly in furtherance of statutory sentencing goals and our society’s value and understanding of compassion.”

Madoff said in the request for compassionate release that he “does not dispute the severity of his crimes.”

IMO- stay in jail

Last edited by a moderator:

Texas Teenager Killed by Bully, Days After Stopping Him From Picking on Another Student: Police
See article on: time.com
Sanya Mansoor

12 hrs ago

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebr...est-dies-at-84/ar-BBZNgR0?ocid=bingoverlayon2
A Texas 16-year-old was shot and killed on Thursday, days after stopping a fight between a 15-year-old boy and another student. Local police arrested the 15-year-old as a suspect in the crime.
a blurry image of a street
© Getty Images/EyeEm
The Arlington Police Department stated that the 15-year-old suspect, whom they did not name due his young age, confronted the victim, Samuel Reynolds, with a gun in the apartment complex where Reynolds lived. CBS DFW reported it happened days after Reynolds stopped the suspect from hurting another student.
“Our victim had broken up a fight a few days prior with a smaller — what he described as a smaller– boy that was kind being picked on and after he broke up the fight he started having some trouble with the suspect,” Arlington Officer Christopher Cook told CBS DFW.

Authorities are now investigating how the young teenage suspect was able to get a gun. “This senseless act of gun violence has no place in society and our hometown community,” said Will Johnson, Arlington Police Chief.
Students at Arlington High School gathered together for a vigil on Friday to remember Reynolds. “Sam will always be a part of the Colts Family and we will never forget him,” the school said in a Facebook post, noting that school counselors will be made available to assist grieving students.
Police said they had responded to reports of an injured person in the 900 block of Benge Drive around 4:30 p.m. on Thursday. When officers arrived they found Reynolds had suffered a gunshot wound. He was transported to a nearby hospital where he was then pronounced dead.

ICE Sued Over Treatment Of 5-Year-Old Boy With Head Injury At Texas Facility

February 8, 2020 at 4:07 pm

HOUSTON (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — The mother of a 5-year-old Guatemalan boy has sued U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement over the medical care he has received in detention for a head injury suffered before the family was arrested.

The lawsuit filed late Friday in California asks a judge to order the child be taken to a pediatric neurologist or pediatric neurosurgeon. It also seeks to prevent ICE from trying to immediately deport the family.

ICE has defended the care the boy has received at its detention center in Dilley, Texas.

(© Copyright 2020 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Georgia officer hailed as a hero after saving baby's life
See article on: www.cbsnews.com
Janet Shamlian 17 hrs ago

Waynesboro, GeorgiaA police sergeant in Waynesboro, Georgia, is being hailed as a hero after a newly released body camera video shows him saving a baby who couldn't breathe. Harold Drummond jumped into action when he saw 6-month-old AJ Sherrod outside a Dollar General store last month.

"When I looked down at that baby AJ, I looked down into my son's face. I looked down into my grandson's face" Drummond told CBS News.

His knowledge of two-finger infant CPR saved AJ, who was suffering from a respiratory infection. AJ's family was headed to a children's hospital on January 18 when he stopped breathing, so they pulled over to call 911, CBS affiliate WRDW-TV reported.

AJ's mother, Angel Collins, said Drummond was in the right place at the right time. "He allowed God to use him to help us save the baby," she told CBS News.

a man looking at the camera: Harold Drummond holds 6-month-old AJ Sherrod.
© Provided by CBS News Harold Drummond holds 6-month-old AJ Sherrod.
Drummond told WRDW he was "extremely nervous" and would "prefer to look down the barrel of a gun than to look down at a baby in distress."

Collins said the "what-ifs" are unimaginable and life would be unthinkable without one of her twins. Even Drummond got choked up when he thought about what could have happened.

"It's hard," he said. "This is what we do. You know, a lot of people don't realize that we're human also."

Texas Teenager Killed by Bully, Days After Stopping Him From Picking on Another Student: Police
See article on: time.com
Sanya Mansoor

12 hrs ago

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebr...est-dies-at-84/ar-BBZNgR0?ocid=bingoverlayon2
A Texas 16-year-old was shot and killed on Thursday, days after stopping a fight between a 15-year-old boy and another student. Local police arrested the 15-year-old as a suspect in the crime.
a blurry image of a street
© Getty Images/EyeEm
The Arlington Police Department stated that the 15-year-old suspect, whom they did not name due his young age, confronted the victim, Samuel Reynolds, with a gun in the apartment complex where Reynolds lived. CBS DFW reported it happened days after Reynolds stopped the suspect from hurting another student.
“Our victim had broken up a fight a few days prior with a smaller — what he described as a smaller– boy that was kind being picked on and after he broke up the fight he started having some trouble with the suspect,” Arlington Officer Christopher Cook told CBS DFW.

Authorities are now investigating how the young teenage suspect was able to get a gun. “This senseless act of gun violence has no place in society and our hometown community,” said Will Johnson, Arlington Police Chief.
Students at Arlington High School gathered together for a vigil on Friday to remember Reynolds. “Sam will always be a part of the Colts Family and we will never forget him,” the school said in a Facebook post, noting that school counselors will be made available to assist grieving students.
Police said they had responded to reports of an injured person in the 900 block of Benge Drive around 4:30 p.m. on Thursday. When officers arrived they found Reynolds had suffered a gunshot wound. He was transported to a nearby hospital where he was then pronounced dead.

I was just reading about this elsewhere. Sad.

Gunman shoots 2 police officers at a Walmart in Forrest City, Ark, police say. Officers returned fire and killed the suspect.

The situation started with a report from someone inside the store that a man was making threats.

Varner and Watlington are assigned to the Criminal Investigation Department and were in the area when the call came in. He says neither officer was wearing a bullet-resistant vest when they responded to the store.

No civilians were injured in the incident.

Forrest City police have identified the officers as Lt. Eric Varner and Detective Eugene Watlington.
Varner went to the hospital in Forrest City and was conscious and talking at the scene. He was treated and released.
Watlington was brought to a Memphis hospital and taken into surgery. Le says he is expected to be OK.
The suspect, identified as Bobby Gibbs, died at the store.

Lee says Gibbs was known to police in Forrest City. Records show he was arrested in 2012 for gun possession, gun theft and disorderly conduct.
1581372062028.png

The college cheating scandal has quieted down until the longest sentence the other day. And apparently actress Lori Loughlin may wish she had taken a deal and faced what she did.

Man, I try to give the benefit of the doubt. Maybe day care couldn't be afforded, maybe there was no support network, maybe he had to work but even considering all of that, I fail to understand. This man knew she was in the car AND then put her in the trunk. Her family and grandmother were planning to take her to Disney so I don't think money/day care/support was an issue.

Therefore, it seems this is an intentional baby killer/abuser. JMO of course.

GrandmaBear,
In re your last 2 posts, I truly don't get it. Drop the kids off at the Police Dept., Fire Station, SOMEWHERE! Don't many cities & towns have places you can take your (unwanted) children without being punished?
Before it gets to this, these #@%^$# need to use condoms or abstain. Years ago, while working as a medical assistant in another state, one of our patients had 11 kids- no job, no husband (which is fine if you can afford to raise them & give them the care they need), wouldn't use birth control because "it was against her religion." I honestly don't recall her name or the name of her primary care doc (not that I would tell anyone if I did, of course), but she had c-sections. So her doctor handed her a paper to sign after she'd gotten a shot of Demoral; told her it was consent for c-section; well, it was also consent to have her tubes tied. Unethical? Technically, yes. Would I participate in a similar case? Probably. JMO

GrandmaBear,
In re your last 2 posts, I truly don't get it. Drop the kids off at the Police Dept., Fire Station, SOMEWHERE! Don't many cities & towns have places you can take your (unwanted) children without being punished?
Before it gets to this, these #@%^$# need to use condoms or abstain. Years ago, while working as a medical assistant in another state, one of our patients had 11 kids- no job, no husband (which is fine if you can afford to raise them & give them the care they need), wouldn't use birth control because "it was against her religion." I honestly don't recall her name or the name of her primary care doc (not that I would tell anyone if I did, of course), but she had c-sections. So her doctor handed her a paper to sign after she'd gotten a shot of Demoral; told her it was consent for c-section; well, it was also consent to have her tubes tied. Unethical? Technically, yes. Would I participate in a similar case? Probably. JMO

I don't understand either. Take them somewhere. Leave them somewhere they will be cared for, do not kill them. In some of these cases though there is a step parent or bf or gf who is with the parent and the parent loves the child and the step parent or bf, etc. wants them gone and is jealous and does not have that connection to the child? I don't know. I know it seems like an epidemic some days or maybe we just never heard how much it happened in years past before internet, etc. Lately, it seems to be one after the other. I get your point, one can be young and have one and pick the wrong person/mate or even two or three but at a certain point, quit having more unless you have a stable situation?

I don't understand either. Take them somewhere. Leave them somewhere they will be cared for, do not kill them. In some of these cases though there is a step parent or bf or gf who is with the parent and the parent loves the child and the step parent or bf, etc. wants them gone and is jealous and does not have that connection to the child? I don't know. I know it seems like an epidemic some days or maybe we just never heard how much it happened in years past before internet, etc. Lately, it seems to be one after the other. I get your point, one can be young and have one and pick the wrong person/mate or even two or three but at a certain point, quit having more unless you have a stable situation?
I think we will find that a lot of the old cases were actually just that though. The internet has also aided in the knowledge of so many recent cases from all over the place.

I think we will find that a lot of the old cases were actually just that though. The internet has also aided in the knowledge of so many recent cases from all over the place.

I so agree, I would like to think it was not so rampant until now but it was or seems to have always been and the internet has made one just far more aware. I spent a day and a half reading about the boy in the box from the 1950s. If that child was found dead nowadays, the evidence would have found the perpetrator with video cameras in JC Penney's, route of travel, etc.

I so agree, I would like to think it was not so rampant until now but it was or seems to have always been and the internet has made one just far more aware. I spent a day and a half reading about the boy in the box from the 1950s. If that child was found dead nowadays, the evidence would have found the perpetrator with video cameras in JC Penney's, route of travel, etc.
exactly

The college cheating scandal has quieted down until the longest sentence the other day. And apparently actress Lori Loughlin may wish she had taken a deal and faced what she did.

Wow! Just take the plea deal at the beginning and your cool. It appears that they're gonna find out money can't bail you out of everything.

I'm actually surprised this is a scandal. I always thought the way to get a rich kid into a big name school was to just donate a lot to the school. It costs more, but I don't think it's illegal. Also, I know that there is a C student who got accepted to Yale merely because his dad was as legacy.

Wow! Just take the plea deal at the beginning and your cool. It appears that they're gonna find out money can't bail you out of everything.

I'm actually surprised this is a scandal. I always thought the way to get a rich kid into a big name school was to just donate a lot to the school. It costs more, but I don't think it's illegal. Also, I know that there is a C student who got accepted to Yale merely because his dad was as legacy.

No kidding, just donate. I suppose that wouldn't line the pockets of those behind the scenes as easily though.

Felicity Huffman faced her charges and now is out of the news for the most part, no one will forget what she did but they will remember she "owned" it and owned up to it. I don't think it is going to be that way for Lori Loughlin, all she has done is to bring more negative attention to herself and look as though she thinks she has done nothing wrong instead of owning up to it. Imo.

No kidding, just donate. I suppose that wouldn't line the pockets of those behind the scenes as easily though.

Felicity Huffman faced her charges and now is out of the news for the most part, no one will forget what she did but they will remember she "owned" it and owned up to it. I don't think it is going to be that way for Lori Loughlin, all she has done is to bring more negative attention to herself and look as though she thinks she has done nothing wrong instead of owning up to it. Imo.

Everybody will be forgotten if Loughlin's trial starts being headline news.

BALTIMORE, MD — Police said three people were shot, one fatally, when authorities tried to serve a warrant in northeast Baltimore Wednesday. Two officers were injured, and the suspect was killed, according to authorities.

One of the victims was a Baltimore County police officer, while the other was a member of the Baltimore Police Department. Both were taken to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center for treatment. They had been serving on a joint task force, according to officials.

Police said the task force was attempting to serve a felony arrest warrant around noon and when officers confronted the suspect, shots were fired.

The incident comes less than 24 hours after two Baltimore police officers suffered minor injuries when they were attacked in south Baltimore while responding to a complaint about someone with a squeegee. One officer was elbowed in the eye and another was bitten after they instructed a man on to get out of the road.

After Tuesday's attack, Baltimore Police Commissioner Michael Harrison called on the community to help officers curb violence in the city.

"Violence against our police officers will not be tolerated," Harrison said in a statement that was issued Wednesday morning, hours before the shootings in northeast Baltimore.

Police Who Went to Tx. Home to Notify Wife of Husband's Suicide Find Her and Son, 11, Slain Inside
The suicide Tuesday occurred nearly 200 miles from the homicides.

Police in Texas are investigating a possible connection between the suicide of a 53-year-old man in San Marcos and the double-homicide of his 48-year-old wife and 11-year-old son nearly 200 miles away in Greatwood.
Sugar Land Police released a statement on the three deaths, all of which were discovered on Tuesday.

The statement indicates that officers arrived at Richard Logan’s home on Tuesday to notify his wife, Diana Logan, of his suicide outside a company located in San Marcos with which he has no apparent affiliation.

Logan had died from a single gunshot wound.

Police got no response after knocking on the front door, so they spoke to a neighbor, who had a key and let them in.

Once inside, officers located the bodies of both Diana 48, and the couple’s son, Aaron, 11. They had been shot to death.

At this point, investigators have not characterized the three deaths as a double murder-suicide, but say the deaths “may be related.”
The investigation continues.

UPDATE
"Our initial investigation has revealed that Richard Logan's death is related to an ongoing investigation in Sugar Land, Texas," the sheriff said in a statement.

Police said Richard Logan lived in the house with Diana Logan and their son.

Richard Logan founded a non-profit called Attack Poverty.

"The Attack Poverty family is in shock to learn of the tragedy involving our Chief Executive Officer Richard Logan and his family," the group said in a statement.

Richard Logan was a former youth and missions pastor at River Pointe Church in Richmond.

Georgia man caught on video stopping shoplifting suspect with shopping cart

Peachtree City Police Department released surveillance and body camera video showing the man’s quick-thinking actions in the parking lot that knocked the suspected shoplifter off his feet.

While police were thankful for the help, officers said they don’t want to encourage anybody to do the same thing.
“If the decision is made to do so, please consider the safety of yourself and all those around you as a priority,”

WAGA reports the suspect, 41-year-old Marcus Smith, is charged with felony shoplifting and obstruction. No one was injured during the foot pursuit.

View: https://www.facebook.com/PeachtreeCityPoliceFire/videos/228998171599842/

Officer purchases woman’s plane ticket home after scam

Gilbert Police Officer Adam Walicke was called out for a welfare check at a Walmart after Subway employees became worried about a woman who had been sitting inside the restaurant for more than day.

“She had flown in on Friday from Illinois under the impression she would meet somebody, have a relationship and change of life and when she got to the airport there was nobody here to pick her up," Instead, the scammer told her he needed money in the form of gift cards. She followed his instructions and he disappeared.

“When I looked at some of the phone text messages you could see the criminals were speaking to her like, ‘Hey hon, can’t wait to meet you, to see you’ and this had been going on for at least a year,” Walicke said. He used his own money to buy her a ticket back home.

“Taking her to a homeless shelter for a day or two wasn’t a long-term viable solution for her."

The woman allegedly had stopped paying rent on her trailer and thought she was starting a new life in Arizona.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back