THIS JUST IN ~ CURRENT NEWS STORIES

breaking-news-background-planet-260nw-667420906.jpg

ONGOING CRIME BREAKING NEWS!

Starting in January 2020, this thread is about the news as it breaks!

Bernard Madoff says he is dying and is asking a judge for compassionate release from prison, where he is serving 150 years for orchestrating the largest Ponzi scheme in history, according to a Wednesday federal court filing.

Madoff, 81, has terminal kidney failure and a life expectancy of less than 18 months. When the court sentenced him, “it was clear that Madoff’s 150-year prison sentence was symbolic for three reasons: retribution, deterrence, and for the victims,” the court filing states. “This Court must now consider whether keeping Madoff incarcerated … is truly in furtherance of statutory sentencing goals and our society’s value and understanding of compassion.”

Madoff said in the request for compassionate release that he “does not dispute the severity of his crimes.”

IMO- stay in jail

Last edited by a moderator:
How is it I have never heard of this one??? Or have I heard of this one?? Wow. A former Family Feud contestant @Cousin Dupree

When asked his biggest mistake on his wedding night he said saying "I do" or wedding day or something like that....

Murdered his wife, mother of his kids.

Do we know of this one or have it on here?

What is with these murdering spouse game show contestants. Lori Dumb Bell on Wheel of Fortune and this guy on Feud...

Awful deed, dumb man with obvious computers searches, l but an interesting listen this video...

How is it I have never heard of this one??? Or have I heard of this one?? Wow. A former Family Feud contestant @Cousin Dupree

When asked his biggest mistake on his wedding night he said saying "I do" or wedding day or something like that....

Murdered his wife, mother of his kids.

Do we know of this one or have it on here?

What is with these murdering spouse game show contestants. Lori Dumb Bell on Wheel of Fortune and this guy on Feud...

Awful deed, dumb man with obvious computers searches, l but an interesting listen this video...

Don't forget Rodney Alcala.

The part of the video about this case is only 4.5 minutes long, first part of it. Worth a listen. His google searches oh boy.

I want to see the Family Feud video, they showed a pic of him with a dumb bow tie on on the game show.

This just shows you how cases that should be so well known aren't because I sure don't know this one...

The part of the video about this case is only 4.5 minutes long, first part of it. Worth a listen. His google searches oh boy.

I want to see the Family Feud video, they showed a pic of him with a dumb bow tie on on the game show.

This just shows you how cases that should be so well known aren't because I sure don't know this one...

How to make a homemade silencer is pretty much a slam dunk on guilt. That's a HUGE piece of evidence I'd consider if I were a juror.

There may be a thread here for this case but I looked quickly and did not see it.

By AP | May 27, 2023​

Montana woman pleads guilty to killing grandson; plea deal calls for life sentence

BOZEMAN, Mont. (AP) — A Montana woman charged with torturing and killing her 12-year-old grandson in early 2020 has pleaded guilty to deliberate homicide in an agreement that calls for her to spend the rest of her life in prison. Patricia Batts was charged in the death of James “Alex” Hurley at her house in West Yellowstone. The boy had been living with Batts and her husband following the death of the boy’s father, who was Batts’ son. Gallatin County prosecutors alleged Alex was beaten and tortured by family members and denied food. Investigators found cellphone videos of the family torturing the boy. Batts entered her plea on Friday and her sentencing is set for July 11 in Bozeman.

BOZEMAN, Mont. (AP) — A Montana woman charged with torturing and killing her 12-year-old grandson more than three years ago pleaded guilty Friday to deliberate homicide and two other felonies in an agreement with the state that calls for her to spend the rest of her life in prison.

Patricia Batts was charged in the death of James “Alex” Hurley in February 2020 in West Yellowstone. Her trial had been scheduled to start in July, but she will now be sentenced on July 11.

Under the agreement, she also pleaded guilty to felony criminal child endangerment for failing to get him medical help after he was fatally injured and witness tampering by trying to get family members to provide false statements to investigators, the Department of Justice said.

May 27, 2023

Judy Malinowski found herself in the middle of an altercation with her on-again, off-again boyfriend when she was suddenly doused with gasoline and set on fire.

The 31-year-old, engulfed in flames behind a gas station in Gahanna, a Columbus suburb, miraculously survived. The 2015 attack left 90% of her body covered in third- or fourth-degree burns.

The Ohio resident defied the expectations of doctors and lived for another two years, which was long enough to detail her account from her hospital bed and have it recorded. The mother of two died from her injuries in 2017 at age 33.

But her story didn’t end there. Her testimony was admitted as evidence at trial. It was the first time in Ohio history a murder victim was able to testify against a killer.

May 27, 2023

Judy Malinowski found herself in the middle of an altercation with her on-again, off-again boyfriend when she was suddenly doused with gasoline and set on fire.

The 31-year-old, engulfed in flames behind a gas station in Gahanna, a Columbus suburb, miraculously survived. The 2015 attack left 90% of her body covered in third- or fourth-degree burns.

The Ohio resident defied the expectations of doctors and lived for another two years, which was long enough to detail her account from her hospital bed and have it recorded. The mother of two died from her injuries in 2017 at age 33.

But her story didn’t end there. Her testimony was admitted as evidence at trial. It was the first time in Ohio history a murder victim was able to testify against a killer.
wow. I had to look back as I hardly remembered it or posting about it. 2020 i posted this.

yes it was a bad one. when we think of grandparents in general, I think even more so than parents, we don't think of one doing anything other than loving and spoiling their grandchildren. soooo sad and so wrong.

Last edited:
It never ceases to amaze me that those of us who actually follow crime can still not know by a long shot of all of them. Didn't plan on watching this but it came up and started on me after something else and I get sucked in.

How is it I don't think I've heard of this one? Wow.

The parental alienation thing of dissing one parent in front of another to a child continually is what I personally think was the dynamic in the Morphew family too, and some others where mom is just taken for granted, and not a person, just there to do their bidding and take care of them all.

See this is the reason there should always be cameras in the coutroom even if NOT televised live, just for history's sake and proof, etc. In the one above, Lloyd states he killed Michelle and the judge and courtroom heard it but no one else can ever hear that now can they??? I see NO reason all court proceedings should not be recorded. NONE. And I don't mean typed by a court reporter, an archaic system. Don't get me wrong, I have relatives that are court reporters and they do a dam*ed good job but it isn't necessary any more or there should be both.

I'm super unsure which family or if all filed that lawsuit notice. I just haven't kept up.

Not a popular opinion, but I think Kaylee’s dad is a control freak who is used to getting his way. I know he's victimized and all, but he has never reacted well to not being the top dog in a murder investigation.

I am unsure either, I believe it is Kaylee's family and one other based on headlines I've seen that two families did this, but I also have not had time to keep up or watch them to know.

Since you voiced a not popular opinion, I will go out on a limb here as well. I agree with you and I think more than that. I think the sister is also going too far in some ways. While I think our courts and legal system could use some serious improvements and I totally get the grief and expectation that they come first and all be perfectly done, etc., boy can I understand it, I really can, most families don't push or poke the bear that represents you and they truly are in most cases doing their job. They had and have a massive amount of data in this case and had a murderer in custody in not too long of a period of time.

And I will go one further. Her baby did not belong in the courtroom. I think it a bit unfair like in our case we couldn't wear buttons with the baby's picture on them, etc. or anything to show solidarity or grief like that, I truly don't think it's fair but it can be risky, you don't want some appeal etc. because something swayed a jury.

Well her family better get a clue if they want justice that THEY themselves don't risk it.

Even saying that I feel horrible because I cannot even imagine the tragedy they are facing even though my family has had one, it is different. I CAN imagine and know a LOT of it though and the grief, need for justice, and need for the perfect case with no missteps.

Yet they are talking of suing for money and filing that right before anything has even gotten underway.

I also think in the beginning his behavior alienated the other parents or they likely worried about it. I like to think both he and her sister just care so much they are going to be all out there and righteous BUT I think it is going a bit too far. Her dad had to backtrack back when once already and yet it continues...

Unless there is something we DO NOT know that was done wrong, I think it is out of line. Sorry but I do. It is a horrible thing not being able to share things you know, etc., been there, and steam and grief and anger can leak out as you need somewhere to release it but aren't supposed to share facts but I don't agree with what they are doing.

Thankfully MOST LE and prosecutors and judges are professional and take no offense because if they did, he could well be risking justice for his daughter by alienating them.

I totally agree, 🤦‍♂️ even with @GrandmaBear

Not sure if anyone else will remember Maddy, but she's been found.

Remains of Madison Scott found 12 years after she went missing near Vanderhoof, BC​

1685412709861.png

Not sure if anyone else will remember Maddy, but she's been found.

Remains of Madison Scott found 12 years after she went missing near Vanderhoof, BC​

View attachment 19373
WOW! I remember following this case and actually visiting with a verified insider who had been at the party. How far from the party location was she found?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkusSimo
Back