UT TERRAN BUTLER: Missing from Millcreek, UT - 26 Sept 2020 - Age 6 *Found Safe*

1601349976611.png
AMBER Alert issued for missing 6-year-old Utah boy last seen with mother Saturday

An AMBER Alert was issued for 6-year-old Terran Butler, who was kidnapped by his biological mother on Saturday during a supervised visit.

"Through the investigation we believe that she is a danger to the child," Sgt. Melody Cutler with the Unified Police Department told 2News.

When Butler's father attempted to pick up his son from the visit, Jolley allegedly had taken the boy without consent.

According to court documents, Unified police officers were called to the home of Emily Jolley's mother, Larain Jolley, Saturday night.

Officers asked Larain Jolley for consent to search the property to look for Terran and his mother, but were denied, according to an arrest affidavit. Officers received a search warrant for the property and arrested Larain Jolley.

The arrest affidavit says police searched Larain Jolley's phone and found messages between Larain, Emily, and another woman.

In the messages, Larain Jolley received instruction from the woman to tell the police that Emily had moved out days ago, the affidavit says. The messages between Emily and Larain Jolley said not to talk in the group text about "the thing we talked about on the group text," the police affidavit stated.

Larain Jolley was brought to the Unified Police Department for an interview and refused to cooperate with detectives, according to police. The arrest affidavit says Larain Jolley told detectives she knew the boy was safe and would not give any more information.

Larain Jolley is now in the Salt Lake County Jail on a charge of obstruction of justice, a second-degree felony.

Police say Emily Jolley has ties to Washington State and may be headed in that direction.

1601350101201.png 1601350128376.png

MEDIA - TERRAN BUTLER: Missing from Millcreek, UT since 26 Sept 2020 - Age 6

Last edited:

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member
Father of missing 6-year-old says boy's mother is part of anti-government organization

Six-year-old Terran Butler has been missing since Saturday. On Monday, police issued an Amber Alert, saying the criteria had been met that the boy could be in imminent danger of death or serious injury.

Police said Butler was taken by his biological mother, Emily Jolley, during a supervised visit.

“It's very possible that she is no longer in Utah, and we have no idea which direction she has gone,” said Timothy Butler, Terran’s father.

Timothy Butler said he was never married to Jolley. He said that after years of custody battles and attempts at shared custody, Utah courts awarded him full custody of Terran. He said this happened after Jolley made false allegations of abuse against him, and coached Terran on what to say to police when he was in preschool.

About a year ago, Butler said he started facilitating supervised visits with Terran and his mom. It was on one of those visits that the Butler said the supervisor let Jolley take off with Terran.

"We still don't know the details of whether or not she was an actual accomplice or an acquaintance before she became a supervisor, or she was manipulated,” Butler said.

He said there is good reason that Terran is not meant to be alone with his biological mother.
We do believe Terran to be in imminent danger, not necessarily of any track history of Emily being a physically abusive person, but obviously a long history of emotional abuse that she has subjected Terran to. Mental instability, and a group of dangerous individuals that she has chosen to associate herself with."

“Very possible that she's off the grid somewhere, so I think camping or hiking. She's talked about going off-grid before. So that's a possibility, but we do believe there is a group of people that she is with, that are helping her,” Meneses said.

That group could be people like Jolley, who Butler said consider themselves sovereign citizens.

"Basically, it's a group of individuals the FBI has considered a domestic terrorist group,” said Butler.

He said the group doesn't recognize the government and feel laws don’t apply to them.

Meneses said Jolley even brought paperwork from the group to one of her supervised visits with Terran.

"At that visit, she pulled out some paperwork from this new government — whatever she belongs to — and had a 5-year-old sign his name, and she was getting a fingerprint basically relinquishing his rights as a U.S. citizen, is what this document had said,” she said.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member
Emily Jolley: Amber Alert Issued for Utah Woman Accused of Kidnapping Her Son

Emily Jolley is a Utah mother who is wanted by police after she was accused of kidnapping her 6-year-old son, Terran Butler. An Amber Alert has been issued by the Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake. Jolley, 43, and her son were last seen during a court-supervised visit on September 26, police said.

Jolley’s Facebook page shows she has posted about QAnon and she has shared posts relating to several other conspiracy theories, including from anti-vax groups and those who say the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic is overblown or is a hoax. She has also shared numerous posts about conspiracy theories claiming child protective service agencies are involved in child sex trafficking. Jolley appears to believe she is the victim of parental alienation and says on Facebook numerous times that her son was “legally kidnapped” from her by child protective services and the courts.

Jolley and the boy’s father have been involved in a court battle over custody for several years, according to Butler. Jolley has accused Butler of abuse and of taking part in child sex trafficking, accusations Butler and his family deny and which they say have been proven false by courts. Butler said on Facebook his child’s mother and her family and friends appear to have been planning the kidnapping for several months.

According to Butler, Jolley is only allowed to see Terran on limited court-ordered supervised visits. Butler wrote on Facebook, “She’s part of a domestic extremist organization called U.S. Sovereign Citizens & known to be mentally unstable & emotionally abusive to Terran.” Sovereign citizens believe they do not have to answer to government authority, including courts and police departments, according to the FBI.

1. Jolley Told Her Son His Father Was ‘Going to Jail’ After Fake U.S. Marshals Provided Court Documents to the Court-Approved Caregiver Saying Jolley Could Leave With Her Son, Police Say

According to police, Jolley was with her son and a court-approved supervisor when the boy’s father, Timothy Butler, tried to pick him up. When he could not reach Jolley, he called the supervisor, who said Terran was picked up by U.S. Marshals who told Jolley and the court-appointed supervisor, that Timothy Butler had a warrant for his arrest, the news station reports.

Police have said the U.S. Marshals were not actually U.S. Marshals and there are no active warrants for Timothy Butler. According to Fox 13 News, Timothy Butler then called police to report his son had been kidnapped after speaking with the court-appointed supervisor. The supervisor told police Jolley had given her mother documents from the supposed U.S. Marshals. She said she heard Jolley tell her mother to give them to Butler when he arrived at home, according to the news station. She also said she heard Jolley tell her son that his father was going to jail and the boy could now stay with her all the time.

2. Jolley’s Mother Told Police the Boy’s Father Had a Warrant for His Arrest From the ‘Supreme Court of the Utah Common Law Constitutional Court,’ Which Doesn’t Exist

Jolley’s mother, Larain Jolley, was arrested by police while they were searching for Terran, according to the Gephardt Daily. Larain Jolley was charged with obstruction of justice, a second-degree felony, and held at the Salt Lake County Jail on $10,010 bail, the newspaper reported. She was arrested September 27.

According to Fox 13 News Salt Lake City, officers from the Unified Police Department went to Larain Jolley’s home after Terran’s father reported his son was missing. The news station, citing court documents, said Larain Jolley gave the officers paperwork through the mail slot in the door. The paperwork, addressed to Timothy Butler, was from the Supreme Court of the Utah Common Law Constitutional Court, according to Fox 13 News. The court does not appear to exist.

3. Jolley Has Shared Several Conspiracy Theory Posts on Her Facebook Page, Including About QAnon, Vaccinations & COVID-19

Jolley has posted frequently over the past year on her Facebook page about conspiracy theories ranging from QAnon and other child sex trafficking conspiracies, to posts about COVID-19 being a hoax and anti-vaccine screeds. But the main focus of her conspiracy theory posts feature claims child protective services agencies are actually profiting off of taking children away from their parents and in some cases selling them into child sex trafficking. There is no evidence to back up her claims.

Jolley’s previous posts in 2019 did not involve conspiracy theories or her son. Most of the posts are about her business and related to her views on spirituality, mindfulness and natural medicine. She began posting almost everyday about conspiracy theories in September 2019, shortly after posting about missing her son. She wrote in that September 20, 2019, post on Facebook, “I love my son!! To the moon & back. Miss him so much!!!!”

But Jolley’s Facebook page also shows her anti-government beliefs and views about vaccines and other conspiracy theories had been ongoing for several years. In one post, she said she has not gotten a flu shot in 15 years because she thinks it would give her the virus. In other posts, she explains to her friends details of what it means to believe in sovereign citizen and similar movements. Jolley appears to be backed up by others who believe in conspiracy theories about child protection agencies and family courts, many of whom appear to have had negative interactions with family courts or are also engaged in child custody battles.

On January 7, 2020, Jolley wrote about her son in a Facebook post:
This is exactly why the last 3 years I have been quiet and busy. Protecting my son is my top priority. I wish and pray every day for his safety. He has been stolen from me, against laws and professional reports. Raise awareness. Support protective parents and don’t get gaslighted!!
4. Jolley Is a ‘Mindfulness Coach & Trainer’ at Free My Soul, EmilySpirit & New Pathways Wellness Center & Previously Worked as a Psychic Reader

According to her Facebook page, Jolley lives in Salt Lake City. She writes on her page that she is a “Mom. Advocate. Philosopher, writer, teacher & infinite partner with Spirit.” On her LinkedIn profile, Jolley says she is a “mindfulness coach and trainer” at Free My Soul, a company she created.

She wrote on LinkedIn, “Experienced Teacher with a demonstrated history of working in the alternative medicine industry. Skilled in Mindfulness, Oracle Database, Wellness Coaching, Coaching, and Entrepreneurship. Strong human resources professional graduated from Reiki.”

5. Terran’s Father’s Girlfriend Says Jolley Has Become ‘More & More Relentless’ With ‘False Allegations’ Against the Missing Boy’s Dad

Terran’s father and his father’s family and supporters have started a Facebook page, “Bring Terran Home,” to post updates and information about the case. Timothy Butler’s girlfriend, Amelia Jensen Meneses, wrote on Facebook, “My boyfriend Tim’s son that has lived with us full time the last 16 months was kidnapped Saturday in SLC by his unstable bio mom (she is only allowed court ordered supervised visits because of ongoing emotional abusive). Please keep an eye out and pray for our precious little guy.”

Timothy Butler said in a Facebook post that an Amber Alert was not initially issued because, Jolley “does not have a history of physical abuse. We still believe the child is in danger because of the history of emotional abuse that lost her custody in the first place between her & the state of UT and her affiliations with the extremist organization U.S. Sovereign Citizens.”

On the Facebook page, Butler wrote, “She has 0% custody for a reason. His dad and family are worried sick for his safety. Please pray he is found and share his picture everywhere you can think. We are grateful for all of the support 💜 If you see our son Terran Butler or his Bio mom Emily Jolley, call police at 801-743-7000.”

According to Meneses, “She has drastically changed her appearance in the previous months planning for this. She cut her hair super short and put on weight. She barely looks like the facebook profile photo. The soccer games photo are all we have recently.”https://www.facebook.com/dialog/sha...://heavy.com/news/emily-jolley/&display=popup

GrandmaBear

‘We Have Nothing to Fear Except Fear Itself'
Well this one clearly looks planned. In nothing I read thank goodness do I see an indication that his life is in danger by the mother but as far as influence, stability, etc., I can see reason for concern no doubt and she did take off with him. She has fought for custody of him for years, they both have, so I don't see her harming him. I HOPE.

GrandmaBear

Is she delusional enough to harm him if she thought she was going to be caught? Of if she thought she was "saving" him? That's a terrifying thought.
I myself would sure hope not. Most parents--and not being sexist but it generally seems to be men most of the time--kill a child to stop the other parent from having the child or sadly paying support... A fair amount of the time they take themselves out as well when it is a punishment thing. In a child support thing, they always never hurt themselves. I am just going by cases seen, no expert am I for sure. Hopefully she is no Lori Vallow thinking she would be saving him from this world... Although I don't believe Lori thought that, I think it was her excuse. Women though it is far more rare with so that gives me hope in this case.

My guess would be the biggest concern would be if she feels the law is closing in or is close to finding her and if she feels she will lose her son for good and the father will have him, then I think I would worry about the danger of that so when they find her, and I am guessing they will, I hope she is not aware it is coming.

If one thinks about it, she took the child and wanted the child. She is not looking for money, she is looking to go off grid and never be found and have her child and whether her thoughts are right or wrong, likely feels the system failed her. They never were married so it is not a case or does not seem one of she is trying to get the guy for herself or control that way with the child. [I am thinking of cases where like the guy kills the woman and the kids in an if I can't have you all, then no one can kind of scenario...]

Hard to know without knowing the people involved. I myself have more hope in this case than some in I don't see a former tendency in her to physically harm her child in the bit of information that is here, she wanted the child, whether for selfish reasons or the child's own good in her mind, hard to say...

I see you are new so welcome by the way!

tlorik

Truth for Tom Brown
Thanks so much for the welcome! It's hard to tell from the limited information how committed the mom is to some of her conspiracy theories - complete paranoia or passing fancy?

I agree about Lori Vallow's story - I think the truth was her kids were an obstacle to the new life/idea she was planning with Chad, frankly.

GrandmaBear

Thanks so much for the welcome! It's hard to tell from the limited information how committed the mom is to some of her conspiracy theories - complete paranoia or passing fancy?

I agree about Lori Vallow's story - I think the truth was her kids were an obstacle to the new life/idea she was planning with Chad, frankly.
I agree 100 percent on the Vallow thing. I think it was all $$$, freedom, fun life, fancy free and importance/ego... It is an excuse and a way to gain followers and helpers and a scam imo...

It is, as you say, limited information in this case. It did say she did not have much of this kind of thing on her social media, etc. until this past year. However, if she truly served or gave papers from some "court" that did not exist (at least in our law or courts), that is a bit out there... I can't help but notice it being Utah either, there seems to be, no offense to anyone who may live there intended, a lot of some of this kind of thought in Idaho, Utah, etc., bringing me back to the Vallow case... There are other cases that give those thoughts in those areas... Edited to add, I mean offshoot groups/cults from more mainstream beliefs...

I am just hopeful she would not harm her son under any circumstance. So even though the boy has been in a lifetime of tug-of-wars or so it seems, which already has probably had quite an effect, I hope she would never physically harm him.

tlorik

Truth for Tom Brown
Worrisome that mom's odd (to me) ideas didn't show in her social media until the last year or so - either (a) she kept it hidden and didn't talk about it or (b) these ideas are recent and possibly escalating? It doesn't sound like there's a threat of physical abuse but maybe mental/emotional abuse, even unintentionally - fear. I'm concerned about her response if she feels trapped.

Kimster

Let's Find Michael Bryson!
Staff member
Worrisome that mom's odd (to me) ideas didn't show in her social media until the last year or so - either (a) she kept it hidden and didn't talk about it or (b) these ideas are recent and possibly escalating? It doesn't sound like there's a threat of physical abuse but maybe mental/emotional abuse, even unintentionally - fear. I'm concerned about her response if she feels trapped.
Maybe she has a new boyfriend that turned her onto these thoughts?

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering about this since they hired someone to supervise the visit off of a babysitting website...
Also seems a little strange that in a state with little regulation, the supervisor is facing charges. Makes me think she probably knew more than she let on / was in on it.

Lawyer says Utah does not have strict guidelines as to who can supervise parental visits

Utah family law attorney Emy Cordano said in Utah, supervised visits are rare. She said the courts in Utah are very conscious about parents' unrestricted access to their children. She said only in specific cases where the child could be harmed are supervisors required, and there aren't many regulations as to who can supervise a visit.

"Typically, there's no specific requirements in the law, for a supervisor,” Cordano said.

She said supervisors are meant to take notes during a visit and engage if the parent is doing something they shouldn't. Cordano said if the court requires a supervisor for a parent visit, typically at first parents try to agree on a family member to do so.
"If the relative is not going to work, then there are paid services that the parents can engage," she explained.

Tim Butler, Terran’s father, said they tried the family member route and the paid services, but neither lasted long.

He said the last supervisor they had, who he says let Emily Jolley take off with Terran on Saturday, was someone Jolley said she found on Care.com. Butler said he was told she had experience with being a supervisor.

Cordano said the law does also allows for someone like a therapist or counselor to supervise, and they should know about the details of a court order and what is and what is not allowed.

Salt Lake City Police say the supervisor who was watching Butler and Jolley as she fled will face charges in the coming days.

GrandmaBear

I was wondering about this since they hired someone to supervise the visit off of a babysitting website...
Also seems a little strange that in a state with little regulation, the supervisor is facing charges. Makes me think she probably knew more than she let on / was in on it.

Lawyer says Utah does not have strict guidelines as to who can supervise parental visits

Utah family law attorney Emy Cordano said in Utah, supervised visits are rare. She said the courts in Utah are very conscious about parents' unrestricted access to their children. She said only in specific cases where the child could be harmed are supervisors required, and there aren't many regulations as to who can supervise a visit.

"Typically, there's no specific requirements in the law, for a supervisor,” Cordano said.

She said supervisors are meant to take notes during a visit and engage if the parent is doing something they shouldn't. Cordano said if the court requires a supervisor for a parent visit, typically at first parents try to agree on a family member to do so.
"If the relative is not going to work, then there are paid services that the parents can engage," she explained.

Tim Butler, Terran’s father, said they tried the family member route and the paid services, but neither lasted long.

He said the last supervisor they had, who he says let Emily Jolley take off with Terran on Saturday, was someone Jolley said she found on Care.com. Butler said he was told she had experience with being a supervisor.

Cordano said the law does also allows for someone like a therapist or counselor to supervise, and they should know about the details of a court order and what is and what is not allowed.

Salt Lake City Police say the supervisor who was watching Butler and Jolley as she fled will face charges in the coming days.
He is the one who wants HER visits supervised and he let HER pick the supervisor? Seems kind of dumb. I agree the supervisor must have been aware of something if she is to face charges. I guess it could be obstruction of justice too if she lied at all.

GrandmaBear

I haven't looked at her social media but I wonder how much is a bit hyped by the father... While the ideas are odd, many of them, and all put together and bundled, it seems like some extreme and different beliefs, parts on their own are not that unusual. I know many people who wonder about vaccines for instance. This is far from a small number of people, there is a lot of controversy about at least some of them. I am not giving an opinion, just saying it is not an unusual debate or interest. The Qanon thing, again, I know people who follow it or did or dabble with seeing how it comes out or about... I myself like to be challenged and interested and I will look into many things and what information I can find, but in my case that does not mean I embrace it, fall for it or stop thinking for myself individually on each and every issue or thing...

THIS woman though actually took her child and it seems organized possibly and planned. She also served some odd fake "papers" and pulled a stunt... So to me, in her case, it looks like she maybe has fully embraced and fell into a type of "think" or group think... If it weren't for that, I would say what she posts, etc. is overblown but her own actions show something more than just a belief or interest... That makes it more worrisome. I feel she will not harm him and if she ever does, I believe she would take herself too... She wants the child or seems to... My fear is if she has anyone helping or some group is who are they and can she trust taking her child and herself to them to meet up with...

However, it appears she took off with him herself and all of the rest could just be show or even smoke on her part... They say she has ties in Washington so those on here in the Pacific Northwest may want to keep an eye out.

If this was planned for some time, and the father said she gained weight and changed her hair (although I don't know how much store I put in that as a plan), she had a route and travel planned and money most likely... Would she head for Canada...?

Just thoughts. If she uses anything but cash they will have her in no time. Unless she quickly changed vehicles and/or plates, they will likely have her in fairly short order. She did give some false papers from a non-existent court, does she have fake travel documents she planned ahead like passports...

This one is a bit different. Generally, someone just takes off with their kid(s) with not a long range thought out plan... In this case, it seems there maybe, just maybe was one.

Kimster

Let's Find Michael Bryson!
Staff member

Yeah why call her a supervisor and not call her a note taker? SMH

kdg411

Administrator
Staff member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alightforericka