CO SUZANNE MORPHEW: Missing from Chaffee County, CO - 10 May 2020 - Age 49 *Found Deceased*

A Chaffee County woman is missing after a neighbor said she went out for a bike ride Sunday and never returned, sparking a search involving more than 100 emergency personnel.

The Chaffee County Communications Center received a report on Sunday at 5:46 p.m. regarding a missing woman in the area of County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Anybody who has information on Morphew’s whereabouts is asked to call the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office at 719-539-2596 or Chaffee County Crime Stoppers at 719-539-2599.

1589412136362.png

edited by staff to add media link

Last edited:

Barry Morphew’s request over seized property denied​

A motion by Barry Morphew, the Salida-area man who at one time faced murder charges tied to the disappearance of his wife, to reclaim property was denied Tuesday by a judge.

According to the motion, prosecution has been in possession of Barry Morphew’s property for more than two years and “there is no link between the property to the location or circumstances of Mrs. Morphew’s disappearance.”

A judge decided on Tuesday that the evidence would not be returned and denied the motion. Barry Morphew did not appear in court.

“... the People have a claim to all property seized for use in a future prosecution,” part of the motion filed by the DA’s office reads. “Further, no hearing need be held as the People are not looking to forfeit the property. To the contrary, we wish to hold it safe for a potential future prosecution.”

CODIS matches to three unsolved sexual assaults in two different states is intriguing to say the least!

While it's a partial profile, info is that it doesn't match the two "primary" suspects in one of those other cases and so my question is why are they suspected if the DNA excluded them? To me, unless it's believed there's actually a third as yet unknown person involved, the DNA results alone would/should eliminate both as suspects.
I don't have the words to explain it nor do I recall exactly how it really is but this was all a sn*w job by the defense that the public and the judge bought and it isn't at all what it seems and isn't what you think. I wish I could link a video for you, several people explained how the defense sold and with use of the media a falsehood. Some of those people are retired big time LE, and Lauren Scharf and her photographer explained that what we think isn't true either but I can't recall in which videos of these people such was in.

I know without anyone telling me that what I just said doesn't make any sense either. It's because I don't know how to explain it or recall exactly but I understood it when they explained it.

Barry Morphew’s request over seized property denied​

A motion by Barry Morphew, the Salida-area man who at one time faced murder charges tied to the disappearance of his wife, to reclaim property was denied Tuesday by a judge.

According to the motion, prosecution has been in possession of Barry Morphew’s property for more than two years and “there is no link between the property to the location or circumstances of Mrs. Morphew’s disappearance.”

A judge decided on Tuesday that the evidence would not be returned and denied the motion. Barry Morphew did not appear in court.

“... the People have a claim to all property seized for use in a future prosecution,” part of the motion filed by the DA’s office reads. “Further, no hearing need be held as the People are not looking to forfeit the property. To the contrary, we wish to hold it safe for a potential future prosecution.”
yeah he was supposedly having internet problems so didn't have to show his face or appear that way. Listened by phone. I don't buy it.

Thankfully the judge made the right decision in this one.

Author: Marc Sallinger (9 News)
Published: 10:19 PM MDT October 31, 2022
Updated: 10:19 PM MDT October 31, 2022

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. — The district attorney who filed murder charges against Barry Morphew in connection with his missing wife in Chafee County now faces an investigation of herself.

9NEWS learned Monday that the Colorado Supreme Court's Attorney Regulation Counsel (ARC) is investigating 11th Judicial District Attorney Linda Stanley and has started interviewing potential witnesses, including Morphew’s attorney.

n a statement, the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel told 9NEWS, "I can confirm that our office is investigating Linda Stanley based on allegations that have become publicly known."

Back on May 5, 2021, Stanley stood in front of the Chafee County courthouse and confidently announced that Barry Morphew had been arrested and charged with murder in connection with his wife Suzanne’s disappearance.

"I wouldn’t bring charges unless I was confident," Stanley said at the time.

Less than a year later, Stanley dropped the charges against Morphew just days before the case was set to go to trial. In the months leading up to the scheduled trial, Stanley and her team of prosecutors were admonished by the judge in the case for missing court-imposed deadlines and being late to hearings. Stanley was reprimanded for appearing on a podcast talking about the active case. Morphew's defense attorneys alleged Stanley withheld evidence from them and committed prosecutorial misconduct on several occasions.

"I have never seen the egregious misconduct that has surfaced in this case, including getting on murder podcasts and telling witnesses what they wanted them to say," said Iris Eytan, Morphew's defense attorney. "My belief is that the prosecutors involved in the prosecution of the Morphew case should not be able to have a law license."

Author: Marc Sallinger (9 News)
Published: 10:19 PM MDT October 31, 2022
Updated: 10:19 PM MDT October 31, 2022

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. — The district attorney who filed murder charges against Barry Morphew in connection with his missing wife in Chafee County now faces an investigation of herself.

9NEWS learned Monday that the Colorado Supreme Court's Attorney Regulation Counsel (ARC) is investigating 11th Judicial District Attorney Linda Stanley and has started interviewing potential witnesses, including Morphew’s attorney.

n a statement, the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel told 9NEWS, "I can confirm that our office is investigating Linda Stanley based on allegations that have become publicly known."

Back on May 5, 2021, Stanley stood in front of the Chafee County courthouse and confidently announced that Barry Morphew had been arrested and charged with murder in connection with his wife Suzanne’s disappearance.

"I wouldn’t bring charges unless I was confident," Stanley said at the time.

Less than a year later, Stanley dropped the charges against Morphew just days before the case was set to go to trial. In the months leading up to the scheduled trial, Stanley and her team of prosecutors were admonished by the judge in the case for missing court-imposed deadlines and being late to hearings. Stanley was reprimanded for appearing on a podcast talking about the active case. Morphew's defense attorneys alleged Stanley withheld evidence from them and committed prosecutorial misconduct on several occasions.

"I have never seen the egregious misconduct that has surfaced in this case, including getting on murder podcasts and telling witnesses what they wanted them to say," said Iris Eytan, Morphew's defense attorney. "My belief is that the prosecutors involved in the prosecution of the Morphew case should not be able to have a law license."
I'll take a wait and see but I will say right now I give anything Iris says no credence whatsoever. Coming from someone truthful it would be different.

From her remark what witnesses were told what to say, friends of Barry?

And prosecutors plural? Is she now talking all of them?

I'm not sticking up for Stanley depending on what is found but I sure put her above Iris Eytan.

Jmo.

There hasn't been any progress in the case because all charges were dropped... They can re-file again later if they come up with more evidence, witnesses, etc.

Thank you. I find it odd that the dismissal is not recorded, I guess.

There hasn't been any progress in the case because all charges were dropped... They can re-file again later if they come up with more evidence, witnesses, etc.

Plus, this resets the clock for "speedy trial". The clock is no longer ticking until it is refiled. Hopefully this means that they are working with evidence that just takes more time than the trial clock would allow.

The district attorney who prosecuted the high-profile investigation into the disappearance and possible murder of Suzanne Morphew is being investigated herself. Linda Stanley, 11th Judicial District Attorney, has had at least two complaints leveled against her with the Colorado Supreme Court's Office of Regulation Counsel.

"The investigation into those complaints is still pending regarding Ms. Stanley," confirmed Jessica Yates, Attorney Regulation Counsel, to the Denver Gazette.

One of those complaints came from a Douglas County man who was one of the hundreds of people who helped search for the Chaffee County wife and mother who went missing in the spring of 2020. Tom Chelston requested the investigations citing a potential violation of the rules for professional conduct.

Chelston’s letter, which was obtained by the Canyon City Daily Record, states: “My concerns were further realized when DA Stanley failed to provide formal interviews with actual news organizations while holding online interviews about this murder case with amateur YouTube crime channels.”

<snip>
Chelston's letter also stated that Stanley displayed a "combination of ego, arrogance and demonstrated incompetence" — which he said placed the rights of Suzanne Morphew and the rights of any other victims of crime "to qualified representation and justice in jeopardy."

<snip>
Besides the complaint regarding the Morphew investigation, there are others filed against Stanley calling her competency into question. One of those came from a sheriff in one of the counties she represents. Fremont County Sheriff Allen Cooper filed two formal complaints against the 11th Judicial District Attorney last year alleging Stanley's prosecutors were lying in court about his deputies alleging that they were not sharing evidence with them. Allen said it got so bad, he had his deputies hand-carry evidence to the judge themselves to show that they were not withholding important documents.

Last summer, Stanley’s law license was suspended due to her failure to complete the required hours of continuing legal education for the years 2019 2020 and 2021.

As of Wednesday, the Colorado Supreme Court’s Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel showed that Stanley’s law license is active. Under Colorado Supreme Court guidelines, her license could be reinstated once she filed a plan to make up the 45 hours of continuing legal education she and all state attorneys are required to complete every three years.

Yates confirmed that Stanley did complete the required work.

She is handling the Park County docket for the 11th Judicial District.

Yates said that the complaints against Stanley could be resolved through one of two actions. One, there would be a stipulation with an attorney with a proposed resolution to the disciplinary judge, or there will be an evidentiary hearing on the complaints which Yates compared to a grand jury.

The district attorney who prosecuted the high-profile investigation into the disappearance and possible murder of Suzanne Morphew is being investigated herself. Linda Stanley, 11th Judicial District Attorney, has had at least two complaints leveled against her with the Colorado Supreme Court's Office of Regulation Counsel.

"The investigation into those complaints is still pending regarding Ms. Stanley," confirmed Jessica Yates, Attorney Regulation Counsel, to the Denver Gazette.

One of those complaints came from a Douglas County man who was one of the hundreds of people who helped search for the Chaffee County wife and mother who went missing in the spring of 2020. Tom Chelston requested the investigations citing a potential violation of the rules for professional conduct.

Chelston’s letter, which was obtained by the Canyon City Daily Record, states: “My concerns were further realized when DA Stanley failed to provide formal interviews with actual news organizations while holding online interviews about this murder case with amateur YouTube crime channels.”

<snip>
Chelston's letter also stated that Stanley displayed a "combination of ego, arrogance and demonstrated incompetence" — which he said placed the rights of Suzanne Morphew and the rights of any other victims of crime "to qualified representation and justice in jeopardy."

<snip>
Besides the complaint regarding the Morphew investigation, there are others filed against Stanley calling her competency into question. One of those came from a sheriff in one of the counties she represents. Fremont County Sheriff Allen Cooper filed two formal complaints against the 11th Judicial District Attorney last year alleging Stanley's prosecutors were lying in court about his deputies alleging that they were not sharing evidence with them. Allen said it got so bad, he had his deputies hand-carry evidence to the judge themselves to show that they were not withholding important documents.

Last summer, Stanley’s law license was suspended due to her failure to complete the required hours of continuing legal education for the years 2019 2020 and 2021.

As of Wednesday, the Colorado Supreme Court’s Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel showed that Stanley’s law license is active. Under Colorado Supreme Court guidelines, her license could be reinstated once she filed a plan to make up the 45 hours of continuing legal education she and all state attorneys are required to complete every three years.

Yates confirmed that Stanley did complete the required work.

She is handling the Park County docket for the 11th Judicial District.

Yates said that the complaints against Stanley could be resolved through one of two actions. One, there would be a stipulation with an attorney with a proposed resolution to the disciplinary judge, or there will be an evidentiary hearing on the complaints which Yates compared to a grand jury.
I'm not jumping with an opinion on this one only because I think there is a lot of politics going on here. The race she won was heated and a lot of the people there in the system if I have it right are supporters of the opponent. I recall her not having a staff or assistance etc. as she took the office and after. All it takes is a few supporters of the other side going after her to create this talk, etc. Unfortunately the continuing education hours for licensing was probably correct but she corrected it.

There is a LOT more in this case I don't like more so than her part and she came into it later. As far as case dismissal, etc. even and the judge, that judge wasn't even aware of the lies by the defense that became believed both by himself and the PUBLIC(!) about some third unknown person DNA. He also gag ordered/sealed based on it affecting ADULT daughters for one reason.. Funny also that all about her now but he sheriff is also one to look at and the department's failures and poor handling of cases. Virginia Englund for one, not just Morphew.

I really don't know. I'm not defending Stanley but I also am not sure she deserves to be thrown under the bus. On the other hand, maybe she does deserve it, I really have no idea and that's the problem, nothing is clear.

There is a lot of blaming here of one investigative agency etc. versus another too. One thing is fact, she wasn't part of the original messed up investigation and case, others were.

I'm not jumping with an opinion on this one only because I think there is a lot of politics going on here. The race she won was heated and a lot of the people there in the system if I have it right are supporters of the opponent. I recall her not having a staff or assistance etc. as she took the office and after. All it takes is a few supporters of the other side going after her to create this talk, etc. Unfortunately the continuing education hours for licensing was probably correct but she corrected it.

There is a LOT more in this case I don't like more so than her part and she came into it later. As far as case dismissal, etc. even and the judge, that judge wasn't even aware of the lies by the defense that became believed both by himself and the PUBLIC(!) about some third unknown person DNA. He also gag ordered/sealed based on it affecting ADULT daughters for one reason.. Funny also that all about her now but he sheriff is also one to look at and the department's failures and poor handling of cases. Virginia Englund for one, not just Morphew.

I really don't know. I'm not defending Stanley but I also am not sure she deserves to be thrown under the bus. On the other hand, maybe she does deserve it, I really have no idea and that's the problem, nothing is clear.

There is a lot of blaming here of one investigative agency etc. versus another too. One thing is fact, she wasn't part of the original messed up investigation and case, others were.
I jumped on the band wagon at first. I appreciate your post that shows me the other side! I think I'm just frustrated that Suzanne's case seems to be stuck and I fear she will never have justice - nor will her remains be located.

I jumped on the band wagon at first. I appreciate your post that shows me the other side! I think I'm just frustrated that Suzanne's case seems to be stuck and I fear she will never have justice - nor will her remains be located.
Yeah, I don't know, she may or may not deserve what she is getting but I do know there definitely were politics going on in the race, when she was elected and the fact she was some weren't happy about either... And what kind of courthouse tries to evict the D.A.'s office and make the office go elsewhere? That's just weird or something up with it. Our courthouses, the D.A., courts, judge's offices and chambers and clerk's office are all on the same floor as all things relate to the court...

Oh, gee, only if they get punished for the outright sh*t and lies they've pulled in court, etc. through the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back