CO SUZANNE MORPHEW: Missing from Chaffee County, CO - 10 May 2020 - Age 49 *Found Deceased*

A Chaffee County woman is missing after a neighbor said she went out for a bike ride Sunday and never returned, sparking a search involving more than 100 emergency personnel.

The Chaffee County Communications Center received a report on Sunday at 5:46 p.m. regarding a missing woman in the area of County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Anybody who has information on Morphew’s whereabouts is asked to call the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office at 719-539-2596 or Chaffee County Crime Stoppers at 719-539-2599.

1589412136362.png

edited by staff to add media link

Last edited:
At a discovery hearing on Wednesday, prosecutors and Morphew's lawyer and prosecutors discussed evidence that will be presented.

It includes a spy pen, laptops, iPhones and an Amazon Kindle.

The prosecution plans to present 14 witnesses at trial, according to Morphew's attorney Iris Eytan who on Wednesday asked the judge to grant him bail and reduce the first-degree murder charge against him to a second-degree murder charge.

The judge denied bond and didn't make a decision on the charges.

Both sides now have several days to prepare for the next hearing, which is yet to be scheduled.

New text messages revealed on the second day of Barry Morphew's preliminary hearing show that his wife, Suzanne, tried to leave him two days before she was reported missing. Her body still has not been found.

The text Suzanne sent to Barry on the morning of May 8th, 2020 reads, “I'm done I could care what you’ve been up to for years. We just need to figure this out civilly.”

On day two of a preliminary hearing for Barry Morphew, who is accused of killing his wife, Suzanne, a former FBI agent revealed they found a tranquilizer dart cap in the dryer in the family’s home.

The agent says Barry told him he was shooting chipmunks, and he asked Barry if he was using tranquilizer darts.

Accused murderer Barry Morphew, 53, did five trash runs on the May 10, 2020, the day his wife and alleged victim Suzanne Morphew went missing, investigators testified in court on Tuesday.

Testimony from the Chaffee County Courthouse on Tuesday also revealed that Barry Morphew took his phone on and off airplane mode in the early morning hours that Mother’s Day — while he made several stops to throw out trash and check into a Holiday Inn Express in Bloomington, Colorado.

Google data unearthed by investigators showed Barry also showed up for a job for Garrett Construction and completed about 15 minutes of work, removing blocks from a retaining wall before leaving. He came to the site despite knowing that construction work could not be legally completed on a Sunday in the city of Bloomington, former FBI agent Johnny Grusing, the third witness called so far, testified.

The FBI also obtained surveillance video showing Barry carrying several bags to dumpsters at the motel. He also stopped to dispose of trash at a Men’s Warehouse and a bus stop. When asked by investigators, Barry said he threw out tranquilizer material. He admitted he owned guns for hunting.

Prosecutors Outline Barry And Suzanne Morphew’s Movements On Days Around Her Disappearance​

While Suzanne’s phone has not been found, investigators were able to recover documents from her iCould account. One of those documents was a list Suzanne made on May 8, entitled “grievances.” It included notes like “wedding ring,” which Barry allegedly took and melted at some point. She also noted women on Facebook, which Barry told her was good for business, as well as an incident in Mexico where Barry tried to take her phone away and look at it.

On the morning of May 6, Suzanne sent Barry a firm text which indicated she wanted to end the relationship. The text was found in Barry’s cache indicating it had been deleted. It read:

“I’m done I could care less what you’re up to and have been for years. We just need to figure this out civilly.”

Barry’s reaction involved threats of suicide: “When I’m dead which won’t be long, you guys will be taken care of,” and “I’m going to see my savior.”

On the morning of May 9, a day before Suzanne was reported missing, 59 communications were exchanged between Suzanne and Jeff Libler.

That afternoon, Suzanne was outside sunbathing and she snapped a photo of herself, smiling, and sent it to Jeff.

“We consider that photo her last proof of life,” former agent Grusing told the court.

Barry arrived home shortly after, that’s when all communications from Suzanne stopped — to anyone.

Investigators used GPS records and data from his Ford F350 to pinpoint his locations. Grusing showed a map of is cell phone pings around the house stating that they were all over the outside of the house, indicating he was chasing Suzanne while she was still conscious.

A retired FBI agent testified Tuesday about the location and status of Barry Morphew’s phone in the hours surrounding the disappearance of his wife, which included him dumping trash in five different locations in the Broomfield area.

In the early-morning hours of May 10, a few hours before Barry Morphew left for Broomfield around 5 a.m., his truck doors opened and closed between 3:25 a.m. and 3:51 a.m., signifying someone was in the truck. Around the same time, his phone’s location moved to near where his wife’s bicycle would later be found, Grusing said — though he added that service in the area meant the information was inconclusive. Suzanne Morphew’s phone, which has still not been found, last pinged at 4:23 a.m., he added.

Barry Morphew’s phone went into airplane mode around 4:31 a.m., the court was told, and pinged again just after 5:30 a.m. as Morphew was turning at Buena Vista as he headed toward Broomfield. He would text his mother a happy Mother’s Day a minute later, and just before 7 a.m., texted Suzanne to ask if she was awake yet. “Happy Mother’s Day. I love you,” he added, according to testimony.

Grusing said the data from the phone and truck, along with surveillance video, showed Barry Morphew appeared to go on five trash runs in the Broomfield that day – throwing things away at an RTD bus stop, a hotel where he checked in, a McDonald’s, a Men’s Warehouse and in another trash can near the Holiday Inn he’d checked in to.

When he was questioned about what he was throwing away, he gave conflicting stories, according to Grusing’s testimony. At the Men’s Warehouse, he spent 40 minutes in the parking lot.

Testimony also showed Tuesday that Barry Morphew did not leave his Broomfield hotel room between about 12:42 p.m. and 5:55 p.m. that day, despite telling a neighbor when they talked around 5:15 p.m. on May 10 that he was at the job site working, prosecutors said.

New text messages revealed on the second day of Barry Morphew's preliminary hearing show that his wife, Suzanne, tried to leave him two days before she was reported missing. Her body still has not been found.

The text Suzanne sent to Barry on the morning of May 8th, 2020 reads, “I'm done I could care what you’ve been up to for years. We just need to figure this out civilly.”

On day two of a preliminary hearing for Barry Morphew, who is accused of killing his wife, Suzanne, a former FBI agent revealed they found a tranquilizer dart cap in the dryer in the family’s home.

The agent says Barry told him he was shooting chipmunks, and he asked Barry if he was using tranquilizer darts.

Accused murderer Barry Morphew, 53, did five trash runs on the May 10, 2020, the day his wife and alleged victim Suzanne Morphew went missing, investigators testified in court on Tuesday.

This tells me her remains might not ever be found.

Side note. I've never heard of a monitoring system that would record when vehicle doors were opened and closed. Does anybody know more about that?
I found some things for company vehicles for monitoring cargo doors... But it just seems weird for vehicle doors.
Schmuck put his cell phone in airplane mode but didn't realize his truck was tracking his every move?

Side note. I've never heard of a monitoring system that would record when vehicle doors were opened and closed. Does anybody know more about that?
I found some things for company vehicles for monitoring cargo doors... But it just seems weird for vehicle doors.
Schmuck put his cell phone in airplane mode but didn't realize his truck was tracking his every move?
I asked somebody that I trust what he says and says those computers in the newer vehicles, especially the ones with the ultra expensive packages added, logs nearly everything your vehicle does when anything is activated. If it has a switch, light, etc, it records.

I asked somebody that I trust what he says and says those computers in the newer vehicles, especially the ones with the ultra expensive packages added, logs nearly everything your vehicle does when anything is activated. If it has a switch, light, etc, it records.
Huh. I mean, my car recognizes me when I get in. It will greet me by name and adjust my seat, mirrors, and climate to my settings if they had been moved by another driver. I can track the car remotely via my phone if someone else is driving. But I guess I'm completely oblivious if it saves a record of all of that data. Seems strange that it would but it wouldn't surprise me, I guess. But as far as even opening the door? That seems even stranger.

Huh. I mean, my car recognizes me when I get in. It will greet me by name and adjust my seat, mirrors, and climate to my settings if they had been moved by another driver. I can track the car remotely via my phone if someone else is driving. But I guess I'm completely oblivious if it saves a record of all of that data. Seems strange that it would but it wouldn't surprise me, I guess. But as far as even opening the door? That seems even stranger.
I'm not sure how long it stores those things but any activation of nearly anything in the newer cars does record on it's computer from what I am told...all the way to engaging blue tooth, usb, windows... everything, it seems.

Tesla & Range Rover have this technology. I'm not sure what type of vehicle BM drove though.

My boss sold her Ford SUV a few years back and this random man called her and asked her if she still had the SUV's manual. He said he bought it from the dealer and read on the computer storage where she went each day and was able to determine that this must be her place of employment, so that's how he found her.

I'm still creeped out by that!

She called the place where she traded it in and they said they always clear out the devices and must have missed that one. :panic:

I have not. LOL @ schmuck

I'm not sure how long it stores those things but any activation of nearly anything in the newer cars does record on it's computer from what I am told...all the way to engaging blue tooth, usb, windows... everything, it seems.
I have a 95. It drives.

If you're unhappy in your marriage, Get divorced. She was wrong but he is so far beyond what she did. I can't even imagine what he did to her. If she divorced him she might have been happy. Unless her boyfriend was married too. A bad choice doesn't excuse murder by any means. He deserves the death penalty as far as I am concerned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back