CO SUZANNE MORPHEW: Missing from Chaffee County, CO - 10 May 2020 - Age 49 *Found Deceased*

A Chaffee County woman is missing after a neighbor said she went out for a bike ride Sunday and never returned, sparking a search involving more than 100 emergency personnel.

The Chaffee County Communications Center received a report on Sunday at 5:46 p.m. regarding a missing woman in the area of County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Anybody who has information on Morphew’s whereabouts is asked to call the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office at 719-539-2596 or Chaffee County Crime Stoppers at 719-539-2599.

1589412136362.png

edited by staff to add media link

Last edited:
After watching Linda on It's a Crime's latest YouTube on this case, I think she was abducted. I think that the reason the neighbors were asked to keep a vigil was because something hinky was going on. Who was involved is up in the air, but I think that she thought she had a stalker or something.
I will have to check for her latest. That has occurred to me many times but it also seems to me if you thought you had a stalker would you go alone on a bike ride and particularly when alone and apparently without a phone?

yes, that one. I see no connection other than IF she had a stalker...
Aha, now I see what the connection is, the stalker yes. Sorry I needed it explained, I just couldn't see a connection to someone holding her in her own house is where my brain went lol. Sometimes I will admit to being slow, especially in the mornings... :)

I will have to check for her latest. That has occurred to me many times but it also seems to me if you thought you had a stalker would you go alone on a bike ride and particularly when alone and apparently without a phone?
Some people just don't take things super seriously and she could have mentioned it to the neighbors "just in case". Or, what if she wasn't taking it seriously at all and the neighbors urged her to promise them when she was leaving the house?

150 tips received about missing Chaffee County woman

State, local, and federal agencies are still searching for a mother who disappeared on Mother’s Day near Salida, Colorado.

Investigators reviewed and followed-up on tips reported to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office on Monday, May 18. There have been more than 150 calls to the tip line since the phone line was activated last week. However, there were no targeted searches conducted on Monday.

Also, the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office is asking residents to preserve any and all video footage from devices such as Ring doorbells, security cameras, game cameras, etc., from May 8th through May 12th. That is two days before and two days after Morphew was reported missing.

Citizens are only being asked to preserve the video at this time. The Sheriff’s Office is asking people to not send these videos to the sheriff’s office or call the sheriff’s office. As search areas are identified, investigators will contact residents in those locations to collect any camera footage within that May 8-12 window.

150 tips received about missing Chaffee County woman

State, local, and federal agencies are still searching for a mother who disappeared on Mother’s Day near Salida, Colorado.

Investigators reviewed and followed-up on tips reported to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office on Monday, May 18. There have been more than 150 calls to the tip line since the phone line was activated last week. However, there were no targeted searches conducted on Monday.

Also, the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office is asking residents to preserve any and all video footage from devices such as Ring doorbells, security cameras, game cameras, etc., from May 8th through May 12th. That is two days before and two days after Morphew was reported missing.

Citizens are only being asked to preserve the video at this time. The Sheriff’s Office is asking people to not send these videos to the sheriff’s office or call the sheriff’s office. As search areas are identified, investigators will contact residents in those locations to collect any camera footage within that May 8-12 window.
See? The asking of video prior to Sunday makes me wonder if there was a stalker or someone like that....

Some people just don't take things super seriously and she could have mentioned it to the neighbors "just in case". Or, what if she wasn't taking it seriously at all and the neighbors urged her to promise them when she was leaving the house?

True. In this case, I feel anything is still possible and most scenarios as we have so little information. I just feel if she was abducted they would have used media more with constant missing, asking the public more to keep an eye out for this woman, etc. I have absolutely no solid theory of any kind as this is not much info. They never even shared her height or weight? I don't know that I have ever seen that or at least an estimate.

True. In this case, I feel anything is still possible and most scenarios as we have so little information. I just feel if she was abducted they would have used media more with constant missing, asking the public more to keep an eye out for this woman, etc. I have absolutely no solid theory of any kind as this is not much info. They never even shared her height or weight? I don't know that I have ever seen that or at least an estimate.
Maybe they know a LOT more than we think they do.... I hope so, anyway!

Maybe they know a LOT more than we think they do.... I hope so, anyway!
I hope so too, I truly do. I would think since there was home surveillance they would even know what she was wearing. These odd little things that are somewhat routine and not giving away big investigative info that are not being shared just bother me I think.

Interesting...

Authorities cordon off home of missing Chaffee County woman

Authorities have cordoned off the home of Suzanne Morphew, a Chaffee County woman who has been missing since May 10.

Her family is not being allowed to enter the house.

According to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, the home “is being held as part of the investigation.”

BREAKING: Police prohibit Suzanne Morphew’s family members from entering home

A Fox 21 reporter has updated an earlier report that indicated police were searching Suzanne Morphew’s home.

The reporter said in a tweet that the home was being “held” by authorities, but police are not actively searching the residence at this time.

KDVR reports that family members are not allowed access to the home during the active investigation.

Interesting...

Authorities have cordoned off the home of Suzanne Morphew, a Chaffee County woman who has been missing since May 10.

According to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, the home “is being held as part of the investigation.”

A Fox 21 reporter has updated an earlier report that indicated police were searching Suzanne Morphew’s home.

The reporter said in a tweet that the home was being “held” by authorities, but police are not actively searching the residence at this time.

KDVR reports that family members are not allowed access to the home during the active investigation.
Not actively searching...waiting for a search warrant?

Interesting...

Wow. I in maybe the first day or maybe two of knowing of this case did not go there and even now, we don't know, it may just be routine but after a day or so, my mind started thinking how odd it was with what they will not and would not say nor confirm. Just guessing but I am guessing perhaps it was refused, the home, for an agreed to search but now they have enough cause and agreement for a search warrant issued by a judge. I am not accusing anyone and won't, but what investigators don't say I always have to remind myself to try to realize as our brains (at least mine) naturally go to the things we are told and focus on them. This still could be a stranger, acquaintance, neighbor or anyone so I won't say much more other than one would think the house would be searched immediately in an investigation and family would agree. I hope I am voicing my thoughts without accusation towards anyone.

I saw another theory...I think it was a Twitter comment.

Perhaps the neighbors were driving home and are actually the ones who saw her bike on/near the road? Maybe they've seen her bike before or she has a distinctive bike so they know it's hers. Having that bike abandoned and her not home would certainly lead to the immediate response and searches like we saw, IMO. (But that doesn't necessarily mean the bike was left there that morning. That's just when they might have seen it.)

Wow. I in maybe the first day or maybe two of knowing of this case did not go there and even now, we don't know, it may just be routine but after a day or so, my mind started thinking how odd it was with what they will not and would not say nor confirm. Just guessing but I am guessing perhaps it was refused, the home, for an agreed to search but now they have enough cause and agreement for a search warrant issued by a judge. I am not accusing anyone and won't, but what investigators don't say I always have to remind myself to try to realize as our brains (at least mine) naturally go to the things we are told and focus on them. This still could be a stranger, acquaintance, neighbor or anyone so I won't say much more other than one would think the house would be searched immediately in an investigation and family would agree. I hope I am voicing my thoughts without accusation towards anyone.

BBM. Exactly. It's just odd. If you have a suspicion, or EVEN just to cover your bases, you don't wait more than a week to do this. It's almost like, "Well she hasn't turned up. Let's take a look at the house."
Yes yes, I know. Small jurisdiction. BUT they have the dang FBI working the case with them!
Same thing with the videos... "We want you do save your videos. We don't actually want you to send them to us. Just save them." Okay..... "We are going to 'hold' the house. Not search it, just hold it and you can't go in anymore more than a week later."

I saw another theory...I think it was a Twitter comment.

Perhaps the neighbors were driving home and are actually the ones who saw her bike on/near the road? Maybe they've seen her bike before or she has a distinctive bike so they know it's hers. Having that bike abandoned and her not home would certainly lead to the immediate response and searches like we saw, IMO. (But that doesn't necessarily mean the bike was left there that morning. That's just when they might have seen it.)

In the first day or maybe second that we knew of this, I read a ton of comments on the sheriff's department page. Now people can be stupid but one would think anyone commenting on an LE page would wisely tell the truth and if they want to lie would do it elsewhere like on social media or at most would think it was someone wanting to lead in a direction. Someone said a daughter called the neighbor to check on mom when she couldn't reach her, another said they knew her from church, and another said she saw them both at the gym together and knew of or knew them and they seemed like the nicest people/couple. Yet LE would not confirm his cooperation... I won't accuse because I have no idea but that is odd as is the lack of confirmation of searching the home early on, etc. They also though have never confirmed how the neighbor knew about the bike ride nor her not returning home... Just thoughts/jmo.

BBM. Exactly. It's just odd. If you have a suspicion, or EVEN just to cover your bases, you don't wait more than a week to do this. It's almost like, "Well she hasn't turned up. Let's take a look at the house."
Yes yes, I know. Small jurisdiction. BUT they have the dang FBI working the case with them!
Same thing with the videos... "We want you do save your videos. We don't actually want you to send them to us. Just save them." Okay..... "We are going to 'hold' the house. Not search it, just hold it and you can't go in anymore more than a week later."

Yes, the entire thing is odd. They know things they are not sharing imo which hopefully is a good thing although it does not mean she is alive imo sadly. The immediate response here many people would wish for even with a missing child or teenage child and sometimes don't get that kind of response and do not get it, but this case had an immediate response, small department or not. I again am not accusing anyone but I just do not like that everyone in the family was gone... Did a neighbor know this, that she was alone, did a stalker, did a "friend", or was it as in many cases someone in the family or at least known to them but not enough to bring charges yet? I certainly would let my house be searched if I had a loved one missing and from what it looks like here, that may not have been allowed. However, I am just reading between the lines and not accusing a single person.

The approach by law enforcement on this case is very different, isn't it? Do we have any other cases where CBI was leading the team?
I have a few thoughts on that. Colorado did have some leaks in the Gannon case. CBI was brought in with the Kelsey Berreth case but missed noting anything at the murder scene/her home. For some reason Colorado has a LOT of attention on their crimes and have no shortage of crimes these past few years. It has occurred to me that they are being ultra careful/secretive because of some of the prior cases and perhaps even thought it would bring less attention (which did not work)?

On the other hand, they probably just know what we do not. I would almost have to guess they have a warrant now and did not prior possibly. The family cannot go into the house and that has to be, imo, by a judge's order or something like that. It also hints to me the husband did not allow it to be searched previously? Not an accusation, just an observation.

I am wondering if something in the initial searches whether her bike, the personal item or surveillance gave them enough to request a warrant...?

All just my speculation and opinion at the moment.

This woman missed her calling. She catches things so well. I caught most of what she mentioned when I watched the PC and the husband's short video but I did not catch the sheriff's very first slip which fits so well in with questions many of us have. DID she go missing Sunday or is that simply when she was reported missing...?

*take this information with caution due to the source*

DailyMail.com has learned it was her daughters Mallory and Macy who first raised the alarm after they were unable to get hold of her on Mother’s Day as they made their way back from a camping trip in Idaho.

Friends said they asked neighbor Jeanne Ritter, 70, to check on Suzanne when they couldn’t get hold of her and it was Ritter who later called the police to report her missing.

Ritter declined to comment when approached by DailyMail.com.

Summer Stehle, 43, the stepmother of 17-year-old Macy’s best friend, said: ‘The neighbors up there are spread pretty far apart but the only reason they found out [she was missing] is because the girls called the neighbors and said, ''we never heard from Mom – can you go check on her?''

‘Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle, sadly.’

Suzanne’s husband Barry Morphew, 52, has said he was away on a training course for his job as a volunteer firefighter in Denver, Colorado, when she vanished.

On Sunday, he made an impassioned plea for his wife’s safe return in a video released via social media. He has also offered a $200,000 reward.

But DailyMail.com can now reveal that Morphew, 52, has not been allowed to enter the home he shared with Suzanne since he returned from his trip to Denver.

Police also have his car and his cell phone – leaving the businessman and volunteer firefighter to communicate through his close friend George Davis, 33.

Davis declined to comment when approached by DailyMail.com, saying he is too busy ‘with stuff’ to talk.

Morphew’s fire department colleagues have been ordered not to take part in the search by police, although locals said Morphew and his friends have been out looking for Suzanne.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back