DE SMYRNA JANE DOE: W/HF, 2-5, found near ball fields in Symrna, DE - 13 Sept 2019 *EMMA COLE* *Guilty Pleas*

1603075754520.png

1582402133026.png

Investigators release facial reconstruction of unidentified girl whose remains were found in Delaware

Investigators from the Smyrna Police Department and members of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and the Delaware Division of Forensic Science to release forensic facial reconstructions they hope will lead to the identification of an unidentified girl whose remains were found near the Little Lass fields on Sept. 13.

Police say the girl was Caucasian or Hispanic, and likely between the ages of 2 and 5 years old. She had slightly wavy brown hair and may have suffered from a chronic illness, based on an anthropological examination of her remains. The child had slightly wavy brown hair, investigators say.

1582402199232.png

Last edited:
I joined this private Facebook group with some of her extended family in it. Facebook Groups

This is all "hearsay" from the group, but from what I'm understanding, when Emma was born, her mom did not want her. Emma lived with another family (unsure of the exact relationship, but I believe they are biologically related) for what seems to be at least the first year of her life. Then, supposedly, when Kristie got together with Brandon, he wanted a family, so she petitioned to get custody back and it was granted.

The last visit this family had with Emma was November of 2018, about 10 months before she was found dead. There may have been some FaceTime contact after that (some pictures were posted showing the poor girl with bruises on her face), but not too long after, Kristie cut off contact with them. The rest of her family assumed this was just a "custody battle" and that Kristie didn't want to let them see Emma anymore. They didn't realize she was "missing", just that they weren't being allowed to see her. Kristie cut off contact with everyone. The family lives in Indiana and hadn't seen the reconstruction images. Also, they are unaware of any "chronic illness" that was mentioned in the reports and other posts.

I joined this private Facebook group with some of her extended family in it. Facebook Groups

This is all "hearsay" from the group, but from what I'm understanding, when Emma was born, her mom did not want her. Emma lived with another family (unsure of the exact relationship, but I believe they are biologically related) for what seems to be at least the first year of her life. Then, supposedly, when Kristie got together with Brandon, he wanted a family, so she petitioned to get custody back and it was granted.

The last visit this family had with Emma was November of 2018, about 10 months before she was found dead. There may have been some FaceTime contact after that (some pictures were posted showing the poor girl with bruises on her face), but not too long after, Kristie cut off contact with them. The rest of her family assumed this was just a "custody battle" and that Kristie didn't want to let them see Emma anymore. They didn't realize she was "missing", just that they weren't being allowed to see her. Kristie cut off contact with everyone. The family lives in Indiana and hadn't seen the reconstruction images. Also, they are unaware of any "chronic illness" that was mentioned in the reports and other posts.
Well that makes sense as she looks like a happy child for a time. She petitioned to get custody back of Emma but weren't there other children as well? Any idea of the story there, or are they his?

This is so sad, leave the child where the child is if well cared for and you already chose not to be there in the child's life. Interesting that no chronic illness is mentioned there.

The family she lived with was Emma's biological father's aunt (+ her husband + 4 kids). They actually had her almost the first TWO years of her life.
I'm not sure about the other 3 children.

Under the spoiler is a sensitive picture of Emma with obvious bruising on her face.
1603076515270.png

The family she lived with was Emma's biological father's aunt (+ her husband + 4 kids). They actually had her almost the first TWO years of her life.
I'm not sure about the other 3 children.

Under the spoiler is a sensitive picture of Emma with obvious bruising on her face.
Oh man. I may have to back away from this one. Poor child. I am wishing he77 on the people that did this right now and more than that even.

Little Lass field to be dedicated to girl whose remains were found​

As cases continue against two former Smyrna residents arrested after a child’s remains were found at the Smyrna Clayton Little Lass Softball complex last year, there are plans to honor the girl’s memory later this month.

According to Little Lass Softball’s Facebook page, Emma Grace Memorial Field will be dedicated during a ceremony at 3 p.m. Nov. 21 at the complex at 887 Duck Creek Parkway.

While authorities have not disclosed many details about the case or the existence of Emma’s siblings, court records show their maternal grandmother has sought custody in the wake of Ms. Haas’ arrest.

According to the Delaware Department of Justice, Ms. Haas, 28, waived a preliminary hearing Friday in the Court of Common Pleas. She remained in custody at Baylor Women’s Correctional Institution in New Castle early Tuesday afternoon, according to VINELink. Her bail was set at $100,000 cash, according to court records.

Mr. Haas, 38, has a preliminary hearing scheduled Friday in the Court of Common Pleas, the DOJ said. The calendar for all cases that day is slated to begin at 8:30 a.m. Mr. Haas posted an $8,000 cash bond Oct. 9, according to court records, and is being represented by attorney John Deckers, the DOJ said. An attempt to reach Mr. Deckers for comment Monday was not successful.

A group of prosecutors from the Felony Trial and Special Victims’ units have been working with law enforcement on the case, the DOJ said. Both the DOJ and Smyrna police declined further comment on the case this week.

Last month, judges accepted DOJ and police requests that certain records be kept under seal and not publicly available; therefore, little details are known about the case or what led to the arrests. No pleas had been entered by the defendants as of Tuesday, the DOJ said.

Haas child-endangerment case transferred to Delaware Superior Court​

Details remained sparse Friday as the case of a former Smyrna resident charged after a child’s remains were found last year was transferred to Superior Court.

After Brandon L. Haas, 38, waived his preliminary hearing in the Court of Common Pleas, a Delaware Department of Justice motion to close the courtroom was approved by Judge Anne Hartnett Reigle and a 30-minute hearing commenced behind closed doors.

Deputy Attorney General Kevin Smith emerged from the session and declined comment “due to the ongoing investigation.” Mr. Haas remained silent when asked for comment as he left the courthouse with his attorney John Deckers.

Ms. Haas waived a preliminary hearing last week, the DOJ said. She remained incarcerated at Baylor Women’s Correctional Institution in New Castle on a $100,000 bond as of mid-afternoon Friday, according to VINELink.

No future court dates were set in either case, the DOJ said Friday. Spokesman Mat Marshall said no pleas have been entered in the case.

Mr. Marshall also said that the DOJ does not generally comment on ongoing investigations.

‘She was the light of our lives’: Family, community rename Smyrna field for toddler​

Dozens gathered at a Smyrna softball field on Saturday to see it officially named in honor of 3-year-old Emma Grace Cole, whose body was found there in September 2019.

Dorothy Axsom traveled more than 700 miles from Bloomington, Indiana to be there Saturday to see people she had never met honor her great granddaugher.

“I was there when she was born,” she said. “I caught her. My granddaughter cut her cord. We were there for her first breath.”
Ms. Axsom said the dedication provided her with a sense of closure.

“We couldn’t have a burial, so basically this is like a little memorial thing for us,” she said.

The circumstances of Emma’s death remain a mystery. Smyrna Police identified the toddler in October, and her mother and stepfather were taken into police custody in Pennsylvania shortly after. Mother Kristie Haas and stepfather Brandon Haas, both former Smyrna residents, have been charged in Delaware with endangering the welfare of a child and tampering with physical evidence. Police and court records have been sealed to the public.

1606272838344.png

Smyrna couple indicted for child death case​

Attorney General Kathy Jennings announced Tuesday that two people have been charged with multiple felonies over the abuse and eventual death of Emma Cole, a child whose remains were found at a Smyrna softball field in 2019.

Brandon Haas, 39, and Kristie Haas, 28, were each indicted Monday afternoon on charges including first-degree child abuse and endangering the welfare of a child. A release about the indictment noted that additional charges were possible.

“The road ahead is still long, but this indictment is a major step toward justice for Emma,” Attorney General Jennings said in a prepared statement. “No crime is more heinous, more offensive to all we hold dear, than the abuse of a child; and in a community as tight-knit as Smyrna, I know how deeply shocking and disturbing this case has been. Nothing we can do will bring Emma back, but we owe it to her, to her community, and to every child in this state to hold the defendants accountable for their actions. Thanks to the tireless work of law enforcement, our state and federal partners, and the dedicated staff of the Department of Justice, we are one step closer.”

If convicted on all charges, Brandon Haas could face a prison sentence of 45 years. Kristie Haas — who is further charged with second-degree assault, abusing a corpse and reckless burning — faces a maximum sentence of 55 years.

Smyrna couple indicted for child death case​

Attorney General Kathy Jennings announced Tuesday that two people have been charged with multiple felonies over the abuse and eventual death of Emma Cole, a child whose remains were found at a Smyrna softball field in 2019.

Brandon Haas, 39, and Kristie Haas, 28, were each indicted Monday afternoon on charges including first-degree child abuse and endangering the welfare of a child. A release about the indictment noted that additional charges were possible.

“The road ahead is still long, but this indictment is a major step toward justice for Emma,” Attorney General Jennings said in a prepared statement. “No crime is more heinous, more offensive to all we hold dear, than the abuse of a child; and in a community as tight-knit as Smyrna, I know how deeply shocking and disturbing this case has been. Nothing we can do will bring Emma back, but we owe it to her, to her community, and to every child in this state to hold the defendants accountable for their actions. Thanks to the tireless work of law enforcement, our state and federal partners, and the dedicated staff of the Department of Justice, we are one step closer.”

If convicted on all charges, Brandon Haas could face a prison sentence of 45 years. Kristie Haas — who is further charged with second-degree assault, abusing a corpse and reckless burning — faces a maximum sentence of 55 years.
Good on the prosecutors!

Mom charged with murder in death of little girl in Smyrna​

The mother of a child whose remains were found in a burned section of Little Lass softball fields in Smyrna in 2019 now faces murder charges.

Kristie Haas, 28, the mother of 3-year-old Emma Cole, was indicted last month on charges of child abuse and child endangerment along with abuse of a corpse and reckless burning.

Tuesday, May 4, 2021, inside Smyrna Police headquarters, Attorney General Kathy Jennings announced upgraded charges of murder by abuse and neglect against Kristie Haas. The Delaware DOJ said evidence shows a pattern of abuse and neglect.

The little girl's stepfather, Brandon Haas, 38, was charged with child abuse and child endangerment. He does not face upgraded charges.

Kristie Haas could face life in prison if convicted. Brandon Haas faces up to 45 years in prison for his alleged role in Cole's death, if convicted. Both remain behind bars.

1645577776509.png

In September 2019, a dog walker found the remains of a young girl in a Smyrna softball complex. For about a year, she remained nameless until her grandfather identified her from a forensic sketch, leading to the arrests of her mother and step-father.

In the 16 months since Emma Grace Cole was publicly identified, her family members and close family friends have kept her memory alive, reminiscing over the happiness her short life brought to those who loved her deeply.

Now for the first time, they are sharing many of these memories publicly. They hope she is remembered for the joyous life she led, rather than the horrific circumstances of her death.

This is the story of how Emma Grace lived.

MUCH MORE AT LINK

View attachment 14072

In September 2019, a dog walker found the remains of a young girl in a Smyrna softball complex. For about a year, she remained nameless until her grandfather identified her from a forensic sketch, leading to the arrests of her mother and step-father.

In the 16 months since Emma Grace Cole was publicly identified, her family members and close family friends have kept her memory alive, reminiscing over the happiness her short life brought to those who loved her deeply.

Now for the first time, they are sharing many of these memories publicly. They hope she is remembered for the joyous life she led, rather than the horrific circumstances of her death.

This is the story of how Emma Grace lived.

MUCH MORE AT LINK
The story is worth reading. It is nice to know the child knew love for much of her life. One can read a lot and then I hit a paywall. So I am left wondering who the girl ended up back with her mother. I guess it doesn't matter but I do wonder.

The story is worth reading. It is nice to know the child knew love for much of her life. One can read a lot and then I hit a paywall. So I am left wondering who the girl ended up back with her mother. I guess it doesn't matter but I do wonder.
This is all unofficial via a private Facebook group.

By RANDALL CHASE The Associated Press
55 minutes ago

DOVER, Del. (AP) — A Delaware woman is facing decades in prison after pleading guilty to killing her 3-year-old daughter and dumping her burned remains on a softball field.

Kristie Haas, 31, pleaded guilty Thursday to murder by abuse or neglect, abuse of a corpse, and three counts of endangering the welfare of a child. Prosecutors are recommending a sentence of 50 years in prison on the murder charge, suspended for non-custodial supervision after 30 years behind bars. The murder charge carries a maximum sentence of life in prison. Prosecutors are recommending probation for the other counts and will drop several other felony and misdemeanor charges.

“Yes, your honor,” Haas repeatedly intoned softly as Superior Court Judge Noel Primos asked whether she understood the nature of the charges and the consequences of entering a guilty plea.

At the request of attorneys, Primos, who is not bound by the sentencing recommendation, deferred sentencing until July 10, the date on which a trial for Haas was to begin.

Prosecutor Kevin Smith said the delay will allow time for relatives of the victim, Emma Grace Cole, to make arrangements to travel from out of state to attend the sentencing.

'We've all been left out': Family not told prior to toddler's mother taking murder plea​

The mother of Emma Grace Cole, the 3-year-old girl whose charred remains were found in a Smyrna softball field in September 2019, had pleaded guilty to murder, though the Delaware Department of Justice did not notify numerous family members ahead of the plea.

Tanya Axsom, who cared for Emma Grace for much of her life before an Indiana judge remanded the toddler back to Kristie Cole Haas' custody, said she learned of the Thursday morning plea through an acquaintance. She said she was shocked and angry.

"I feel like I'm being hit by a bus all over again," she told Delaware Online/The News Journal. "I am so mad that they didn't even bother to say a damn thing to any of us."

She added that given she is Emma Grace's great aunt and that she was the little girl's legal guardian for a little more than a year, she feels "we should have had the right to know, in case we wanted to be there."

Similarly, Emma Grace's grandfather − the father of Kristie Cole Haas − said he was shocked to learn of the plea. He was informed of the news by a Delaware Online/News Journal reporter. He said Kristie Cole Haas' sister Kelsey Cole Navarro, was also not informed until after the plea occurred.

The Delaware Department of Justice said the case has been under a "still-active gag order that limits the state’s ability to discuss sensitive elements of the case, including the existence of a possible plea, with anyone who is not next of kin as defined in the Victims’ Bill of Rights."

ByRANDALL CHASE Associated Press
May 26, 2023, 2:32 PM

DOVER, Del. -- The stepfather of a 3-year-old girl whose burned remains were found on a softball field several years ago has pleaded guilty to child endangerment charges, according to a plea agreement unsealed Friday by a Delaware judge.

Brandon Haas, 41, pleaded guilty in March to one felony count and three misdemeanor counts of endangering the welfare of a child. None of the offenses carries mandatory prison time, although the felony count carries a maximum sentence of five years behind bars. Probation is the presumptive sentence for each of the four counts.

<snip>

Sentencing for Brandon Haas, who has been cooperating with prosecutors, is expected to be held sometime in the fall.

<snip>

Authorities alleged the couple withheld food and medical care from Emma and subjected her to “torture or maltreatment,” while also subjecting her and her siblings to excessive forced exercise and inappropriate physical discipline.

As part of his plea deal, Brandon Haas agreed to have no contact with the couple's other three children for eight years. He was also ordered to undergo substance abuse and mental health evaluations.

'We've all been left out': Family not told prior to toddler's mother taking murder plea​

The mother of Emma Grace Cole, the 3-year-old girl whose charred remains were found in a Smyrna softball field in September 2019, had pleaded guilty to murder, though the Delaware Department of Justice did not notify numerous family members ahead of the plea.

Tanya Axsom, who cared for Emma Grace for much of her life before an Indiana judge remanded the toddler back to Kristie Cole Haas' custody, said she learned of the Thursday morning plea through an acquaintance. She said she was shocked and angry.

"I feel like I'm being hit by a bus all over again," she told Delaware Online/The News Journal. "I am so mad that they didn't even bother to say a damn thing to any of us."

She added that given she is Emma Grace's great aunt and that she was the little girl's legal guardian for a little more than a year, she feels "we should have had the right to know, in case we wanted to be there."

Similarly, Emma Grace's grandfather − the father of Kristie Cole Haas − said he was shocked to learn of the plea. He was informed of the news by a Delaware Online/News Journal reporter. He said Kristie Cole Haas' sister Kelsey Cole Navarro, was also not informed until after the plea occurred.

The Delaware Department of Justice said the case has been under a "still-active gag order that limits the state’s ability to discuss sensitive elements of the case, including the existence of a possible plea, with anyone who is not next of kin as defined in the Victims’ Bill of Rights."
Sounds much like the deal with the Woodcocks as to WHO is defined as a victim's family member, etc. It shocks me that grandparents aren't considered such.

Inside the plea deals for mom, stepdad of toddler found dead in Smyrna softball field​

“I thought I was about to have a stroke,” she told a reporter later that afternoon, laughing ruefully. “I am so pissed off. I am so mad that they didn't even bother to say a damn thing to any of us.”

“There was a part of me that was hoping that it was (Haas’ husband) Brandon or there was some sort of extenuating circumstance that led to Emma’s death,” Navarro said. “But I’m also angry because it just didn’t have to happen.”

As the news sank in – for Conley, that Haas might one day be free; for Cole, that he’d “never know the truth” of what happened to his granddaughter; and for Navarro, that her sister had killed Emma Grace – the toddler’s family only had more questions.

How had the plea come about? After almost three years behind bars, what was the catalyst for it? What was the status of Brandon Haas’ charges, who’d been out on bail despite also facing murder and child abuse charges for Emma Grace’s death?

While the family may never get some of these answers, court documents show that Brandon Haas negotiated a deal with prosecutors long before Conley, Cole and Navarro even had an inkling that Kristie Haas might plea.

As the group met via Zoom that Thursday in late February, Brandon Haas’ attorneys explained that in exchange for a recommendation of probation and the removal of a GPS ankle bracelet he’d been wearing for about two years, the 41-year-old would “cooperate and testify truthfully” against his wife.

They now know when the plea occurred and some of the reasons for it not being disclosed earlier. But they may never know how Smith and Brandon Haas’ attorneys came to an agreement to recommend probation – or what his exact role in Emma Grace’s death was.

“I think it’s atrocious,” Navarro said of the deal. “Maybe he didn’t kill her, but he was with Kristie for a whole year after and didn’t say anything.”

Navarro added that while she doesn’t believe probation is enough for abusing and neglecting Emma Grace and the other three children − none of whom are biologically related to Brandon Haas − it’s even more upsetting given “the aiding and abetting with Kristie and hiding information from police.”

MUCH MORE AT LINK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back