DE SMYRNA JANE DOE: W/HF, 2-5, found near ball fields in Symrna, DE - 13 Sept 2019 *EMMA COLE*

1603075754520.png

1582402133026.png

Investigators release facial reconstruction of unidentified girl whose remains were found in Delaware

Investigators from the Smyrna Police Department and members of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and the Delaware Division of Forensic Science to release forensic facial reconstructions they hope will lead to the identification of an unidentified girl whose remains were found near the Little Lass fields on Sept. 13.

Police say the girl was Caucasian or Hispanic, and likely between the ages of 2 and 5 years old. She had slightly wavy brown hair and may have suffered from a chronic illness, based on an anthropological examination of her remains. The child had slightly wavy brown hair, investigators say.

1582402199232.png

Last edited:

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member
I joined this private Facebook group with some of her extended family in it. Facebook Groups

This is all "hearsay" from the group, but from what I'm understanding, when Emma was born, her mom did not want her. Emma lived with another family (unsure of the exact relationship, but I believe they are biologically related) for what seems to be at least the first year of her life. Then, supposedly, when Kristie got together with Brandon, he wanted a family, so she petitioned to get custody back and it was granted.

The last visit this family had with Emma was November of 2018, about 10 months before she was found dead. There may have been some FaceTime contact after that (some pictures were posted showing the poor girl with bruises on her face), but not too long after, Kristie cut off contact with them. The rest of her family assumed this was just a "custody battle" and that Kristie didn't want to let them see Emma anymore. They didn't realize she was "missing", just that they weren't being allowed to see her. Kristie cut off contact with everyone. The family lives in Indiana and hadn't seen the reconstruction images. Also, they are unaware of any "chronic illness" that was mentioned in the reports and other posts.

GrandmaBear

‘We Have Nothing to Fear Except Fear Itself'
I joined this private Facebook group with some of her extended family in it. Facebook Groups

This is all "hearsay" from the group, but from what I'm understanding, when Emma was born, her mom did not want her. Emma lived with another family (unsure of the exact relationship, but I believe they are biologically related) for what seems to be at least the first year of her life. Then, supposedly, when Kristie got together with Brandon, he wanted a family, so she petitioned to get custody back and it was granted.

The last visit this family had with Emma was November of 2018, about 10 months before she was found dead. There may have been some FaceTime contact after that (some pictures were posted showing the poor girl with bruises on her face), but not too long after, Kristie cut off contact with them. The rest of her family assumed this was just a "custody battle" and that Kristie didn't want to let them see Emma anymore. They didn't realize she was "missing", just that they weren't being allowed to see her. Kristie cut off contact with everyone. The family lives in Indiana and hadn't seen the reconstruction images. Also, they are unaware of any "chronic illness" that was mentioned in the reports and other posts.
Well that makes sense as she looks like a happy child for a time. She petitioned to get custody back of Emma but weren't there other children as well? Any idea of the story there, or are they his?

This is so sad, leave the child where the child is if well cared for and you already chose not to be there in the child's life. Interesting that no chronic illness is mentioned there.

GrandmaBear

‘We Have Nothing to Fear Except Fear Itself'
The family she lived with was Emma's biological father's aunt (+ her husband + 4 kids). They actually had her almost the first TWO years of her life.
I'm not sure about the other 3 children.

Under the spoiler is a sensitive picture of Emma with obvious bruising on her face.
Oh man. I may have to back away from this one. Poor child. I am wishing he77 on the people that did this right now and more than that even.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member

Little Lass field to be dedicated to girl whose remains were found​

As cases continue against two former Smyrna residents arrested after a child’s remains were found at the Smyrna Clayton Little Lass Softball complex last year, there are plans to honor the girl’s memory later this month.

According to Little Lass Softball’s Facebook page, Emma Grace Memorial Field will be dedicated during a ceremony at 3 p.m. Nov. 21 at the complex at 887 Duck Creek Parkway.

While authorities have not disclosed many details about the case or the existence of Emma’s siblings, court records show their maternal grandmother has sought custody in the wake of Ms. Haas’ arrest.

According to the Delaware Department of Justice, Ms. Haas, 28, waived a preliminary hearing Friday in the Court of Common Pleas. She remained in custody at Baylor Women’s Correctional Institution in New Castle early Tuesday afternoon, according to VINELink. Her bail was set at $100,000 cash, according to court records.

Mr. Haas, 38, has a preliminary hearing scheduled Friday in the Court of Common Pleas, the DOJ said. The calendar for all cases that day is slated to begin at 8:30 a.m. Mr. Haas posted an $8,000 cash bond Oct. 9, according to court records, and is being represented by attorney John Deckers, the DOJ said. An attempt to reach Mr. Deckers for comment Monday was not successful.

A group of prosecutors from the Felony Trial and Special Victims’ units have been working with law enforcement on the case, the DOJ said. Both the DOJ and Smyrna police declined further comment on the case this week.

Last month, judges accepted DOJ and police requests that certain records be kept under seal and not publicly available; therefore, little details are known about the case or what led to the arrests. No pleas had been entered by the defendants as of Tuesday, the DOJ said.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member

Haas child-endangerment case transferred to Delaware Superior Court​

Details remained sparse Friday as the case of a former Smyrna resident charged after a child’s remains were found last year was transferred to Superior Court.

After Brandon L. Haas, 38, waived his preliminary hearing in the Court of Common Pleas, a Delaware Department of Justice motion to close the courtroom was approved by Judge Anne Hartnett Reigle and a 30-minute hearing commenced behind closed doors.

Deputy Attorney General Kevin Smith emerged from the session and declined comment “due to the ongoing investigation.” Mr. Haas remained silent when asked for comment as he left the courthouse with his attorney John Deckers.

Ms. Haas waived a preliminary hearing last week, the DOJ said. She remained incarcerated at Baylor Women’s Correctional Institution in New Castle on a $100,000 bond as of mid-afternoon Friday, according to VINELink.

No future court dates were set in either case, the DOJ said Friday. Spokesman Mat Marshall said no pleas have been entered in the case.

Mr. Marshall also said that the DOJ does not generally comment on ongoing investigations.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member

‘She was the light of our lives’: Family, community rename Smyrna field for toddler​

Dozens gathered at a Smyrna softball field on Saturday to see it officially named in honor of 3-year-old Emma Grace Cole, whose body was found there in September 2019.

Dorothy Axsom traveled more than 700 miles from Bloomington, Indiana to be there Saturday to see people she had never met honor her great granddaugher.

“I was there when she was born,” she said. “I caught her. My granddaughter cut her cord. We were there for her first breath.”
Ms. Axsom said the dedication provided her with a sense of closure.

“We couldn’t have a burial, so basically this is like a little memorial thing for us,” she said.

The circumstances of Emma’s death remain a mystery. Smyrna Police identified the toddler in October, and her mother and stepfather were taken into police custody in Pennsylvania shortly after. Mother Kristie Haas and stepfather Brandon Haas, both former Smyrna residents, have been charged in Delaware with endangering the welfare of a child and tampering with physical evidence. Police and court records have been sealed to the public.

1606272838344.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindyvaughn71