Portugal RUI PEDRO MENDONCA: Missing from Lousada, Portugal - 4 March 1998 - Age 11

1581993437719.png

On 4th March 1998, Rui Pedro took his bicycle and, around 14.00 he went to his mother's office, to ask her for permission to go on a drive with a 22 year-old male. His mother refused and told him to ride his bicycle behind her office. In the afternoon, around 17.00, Rui Pedro's teacher phoned the parents because Rui was late, which was unusual.
Immediately his parents started to look for him. During their search, they found out that a neighbor had found his bicycle around 15.00. It was hidden in the wood where Rui Pedro was seen riding his bicycle. Rui Pedro has yet to be found, despite an intensive search and international appeal.

His mother believes her son was abducted by a pedophile ring. A few months after his disappearance, police showed her a photograph from a global pedophile website. The picture was not clear but it showed a boy who looked like Rui Pedro. His mother believes it was Rui.

edited by staff to add media link

Last edited by a moderator:

Scorpio

Last known activities
On March 4, 1998, around 2pm, Rui Pedro took his bicycle and cycled to his mother's workplace, located near the family home. He asked his mother for permission to spend the afternoon riding in a car "with his friend Afonso" (Afonso Dias), aged 22. Rui Pedro's mother denied the request, and told him to go play in an abandoned lot outside her office.

Investigation
Rui Pedro's tutor called his parents because the child had not turned up for his 5pm lesson, and they quickly initiated a search for him. Because Rui Pedro had told his mother that he was planning to meet up with his friend Afonso, the police questioned the latter. Afonso Dias was in an emotional state while being questioned, and simply replied that he did not know the boy's whereabouts, but that the police "should close the borders". Rui Pedro's cousin, Andre, recounted to the police that him, Rui Pedro and Afonso had had a conversation where Afonso had invited them to go meet up with a prostitute. Andre said he had not joined Rui Pedro and Afonso that afternoon because his mother would not let him leave the house.

Sightings
The investigation into the child's disappearance slowed down due to the lack of credible leads. Nevertheless, the case had sparked public interest to a degree that sightings of Rui Pedro were numerous over the years since his disappearance. The prostitute Alcina Dias confirmed that Afonso Dias had taken Rui Pedro to see her on the day he disappeared. Afonso Dias allegedly drove up to see her in his car and asked her if she was working. When she assented, he offered to pay her to have sex with Rui Pedro. Alcina Dias said that Rui Pedro was extremely nervous and crying by the time he exited the vehicle, reportedly saying that Afonso had forced him to meet her. Alcina Dias added that she tried to calm the boy down and asked him if his mother knew he was there, to which the boy replied no. Rui Pedro then allegedly drove off in Afonso Dias' vehicle. Alcina Dias allegedly tried to give her deposition to the authorities, but could never identify Afonso Dias by name. In 2011, she finally identified him in a court of law.

In April 1998, the political commentator Nuno Rogeiro traveled to Disneyland Paris with his family. During the trip, the Rogeiro family snapped several photographs whilst on a ride; one of these photos depicts a boy sitting behind the family who reportedly looks remarkably like Rui Pedro. Sat beside the boy is a man in his 40s wearing a red jacket. The Portuguese police did confiscate the photographs for further analysis, but no further progress was made regarding this sighting

Prison sentence for Afonso Dias
Dias was acquitted in the first trial in 2012 due to a lack of evidence, but was subsequently convicted in a new trial in 2014 to three years in jail for corruption of a minor, as a result of trying to make Rui Pedro have sex, but not for his abduction or any other charge related to the disappearance itself. Following an appeal by Rui Pedro's family. Despite Dias's appeal, this second ruling was upheld by the Supreme Court of Portugal. On October 3, 2014, Afonso Dias was sentenced to three years in prison. On March 18, 2015, Afonso Dias was taken to prison by his lawyer, after the warrant for his detention was issued by the police. He was released in March 2017, having served two thirds of his sentence. Dias maintains his innocence in the matter.

Last edited:

Scorpio

http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/index.php?showtopic=21201

Rui Pedro Mendonca vanished in 1998, when he was 11 while walking home from school in the northern Portuguese town Lousada. A month later, hopes were raised when he was sighted with a middle-aged man in Disneyland in Paris. Then three years later, his mother’s worst fears were realised. Horrific images of Rui Pedro being sexually abused were reportedly uncovered during an international police operation that cracked a global paedophile network. More than 200 paedophiles in 13 countries had exchanged more than 750,000 images of children through a private internet club called Wonderland.

Rui Pedro has never been found, the trail has gone cold and investigators fear that may have been murdered to cover up the abuse.

Let’s hope, and pray, that is not the case. He was 20 in January.

Scorpio

Rui Pedro Teixeira Mendonca vanished from his home town of Lousado, near Porto in the north of the country, in March 1998. Detectives believe he was kidnapped while walking home from school and taken to a prostitute who was paid to have sex with him. Shortly after he was snatched there was also an unconfirmed sighting of the boy at Disneyland in Paris with a middle-aged man, suggesting he could have been moved around Europe by a paedophile gang.

In 2001 his mother was flown to Switzerland to see if a child sex video seized in that country contained footage of her son. A breakthrough in the case was made when the prostitute allegedly confessed that she had been with the boy. She confirmed the suspect was seen with Rui Pedro on the day he vanished.

Former British detectives working as private investigators for Kate and Gerry McCann will now try to discover the movements of the suspect over the past 13 years.

Madeleine McCann vanished in 2007.

After Madeleine disappeared, Filomena [Rui Pedro’s mother] said: “When I saw the news about the disappearance of the English girl I was terrified. I immediately thought of my son, even though the cases are different, and I thought of Madeleine’s parents, the anguish they are suffering.”

We do not know what happened to Rui Pedo. But the man in the frame says: “As far as Rui Pedro is concerned, the thing I want most in the world is that he appears. I never denied being with him. But I never saw him again after we parted company that day and I haven’t a clue what happened to him.”

Madeleine McCann is missing. Still missing…

Scorpio

1581994387931.png
PtmylXU.png

Photograph taken at Disneyland Paris in April 1998 with a boy closely resembling Rui Pedro in the back.

In April 98, Inês Rogeiro appeared in the photo taken at Eurodisney in which Rui Pedro is thought to appear and 13 years later, she is a lawyer for the boy's parents.

There are those who do not believe in coincidences, but there are things that make you think ... CARAS discovered that the trainee lawyer who accompanies Ricardo Sá Fernandes in the case of Rui Pedro 's disappearance is the daughter of Nuno Rogeiro and was on the trip that the family of the political commentator made it to Eurodisney in April 1998, at the invitation of our magazine, and during which photographs were taken in which the hypothesis of seeing the missing boy from Lousada on March 4, 1998 was taken.

Thirteen years after those photographs were confiscated by the Judiciary Police for investigation, Inês Rogeiro , who has been interning since last April at the office of the well-known Lisbon lawyer, appears again related to Rui Pedro, this time trying to find out what happened to him. “ When I arrived at the office of Dr. Ricardo Sá Fernandes [who was unaware that Inês appeared in the photos] , this was the first job he gave me. At the time, I thought it was a very interesting coincidence , ”says Inês, adding:“ I was very young, but the situation marked me because Rui Pedro was behind us. ” Received with open arms by Filomena Teixeira and Manuel Mendonça , Inês Rogeiro, now 22, considers Rui Pedro's family“ very special .They are very close, despite this whole disgrace. They are one of the friendliest people I have met and it is a privilege to be able to contribute to help take all the steps we can to find out what happened that day ”, he says.

In April 1998, the political commentator Nuno Rogeiro traveled to Disneyland Paris with his family. During the trip, the Rogeiro family snapped several photographs whilst on a ride; one of these photos depicts a boy sitting behind the family who reportedly looks remarkably like Mendonça.[3] Sitting next to the boy was a man in his 40s wearing a red jacket. The Portuguese police did confiscate the photographs for further analysis, but no further progress was made regarding this sighting.[10]

Last edited:

Scorpio

Madeleine 'abducted to order by an international child sex gang'
May 10, 2007

It would not be the first time that a child taken from Portugal has ended up in the grip of a paedophile ring. In 1998, an 11-year-old boy, Rui Pedro Mendonça, vanished while walking home from school in Lousada, a town in northern Portugal. Three years later, horrific images of Rui Pedro being sexually abused were uncovered during an international police operation that cracked a global paedophile network.

More than 200 paedophiles in 13 countries had exchanged more than 750,000 images of children through a private internet club called Wonderland. Analysis showed that 1,236 children had been subjected to abuse that officers described as “unimaginable”.

Some were abused live, to order, online. Officers said that they had wept as they catalogued the pictures and that they had been haunted by them for years. The Portuguese boy’s mother, Filomena Teixera, flew to Switzerland to view the pictures and was apparently able to identify her son. But he was never found. Investigators fear that he may have been killed to cover up the abuse.

“When I saw the news about the disappearance of the English girl, I was terrified,” Ms Teixera told the newspaper 24 Horas. “I immediately thought of my son, even though the cases are different. And I thought of Madeleine’s parents, the anguish they are suffering.” Ms Teixera said that she had had psychiatric treatment for eight hours a day for the past four years, since her father died. She still refuses to believe that her son, who would now be 20, could have died.

“When I stop believing he is alive, I lose all my strength,” she said. “My brain doesn’t allow me to think he is dead.” Child protection campaigners have alleged that a culture of corruption and complacency in Portugal allows such kidnappings to continue. The founder of the Swiss-based group Innocence in Danger has said that she had tried to set up an office in Portugal but gave up because of the reluctance of the authorities. Homayra Sellier said after Madeleine’s disappearance that Portugal was a country in which “the corruption has gone so high that there’s nothing we can do”.

“The fact that the girl [Madeleine] was kidnapped from her bed shows how bad things are,” she said.

Scorpio

Rui Pedro: Who is Rui Pedro? What happened to him?

Who is Rui Pedro?

Rui Pedro Teixeira Mendonça is a Portuguese child who went missing 21 years ago. Rui disappeared on March 4, 1998, from Lousada, Portugal.

He was 11-years-old at the time he went missing. Rui was close to his home riding his bike in the afternoon but sadly did not return home.

Following his disappearance, Rui’s bicycle was found but his case remains unsolved. In episode three of the Netflix documentary, The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann, the case of Rui is mentioned as an example of a missing child case that did not receive the same monetary investment and media coverage as Madeleine's disappearance.

What happened to Rui Pedro?
It was uncovered that Pedro was one of the child victims of the Wonderland ring, which, at the time, was considered the biggest cyber pedo-criminal network. In September 1998, over 1,000 police and child protection officers in 13 countries simultaneously raided 105 Wonderland members.

After the raids, police uncovered over 750,000 different images of paedophilia. From the seized CD-Roms, 16 portraits of anonymous children were extracted and kept in files in Geneva, Switzerland. Rui Pedro’s mother visited Geneva to access the files and her son was identified. Footage of Rui's mother accessing the files features in the Netflix documentary.

The Telegraph reported that it is feared Rui was murdered by his abductors following the abuse. One man has been found guilty of offences relating to the case of Rui Pedro.

Portuguese press reported that, on the day Rui disappeared, he had asked for his mother’s permission to go for a drive with his friend Alfonso Dias, who was 21-years-old at the time and working as a lorry driver. Rui’s mother did not let her son go with Alfonso and instead told him to play on his bike around her office. However, Rui did not turn up to his tutor session which was scheduled to take place at 5pm.

Afonso was immediately questioned by police but denied knowing Rui’s whereabouts. According to Portuguese news outlet TSF, which was reporting on the 2011 investigation, Afonso had arranged for Rui to meet a prostitute.

The prostitute, Alcina Dias, confirmed in court that Rui had visited her on the day he disappeared. During Afonso Dias’s first trial, she identified him as the man who brought Rui to her. Dias was acquitted in 2012 due to lack of evidence but was convicted in 2013 in a new trial.

According to Journal de Notícias, a Portuguese news outlet, Afonso was sentenced to three years for corruption of a minor in relation to taking Rui to a prostitute.

Scorpio

Rui Pedro's case: Court condemns Afonso Dias to 3 years and 6 months in prison

1581996386105.png
Afonso Dias

Rui Pedro Teixeira Mendonça disappeared on the 4th of March 1998. He was eleven years old. Fifteen years later to that day, the man who took Rui Pedro was condemned for his kidnap, and sentenced to 3 years and 6 months in jail.

Background
In an interview given to RTP in 1998, Afonso Dias, 21 years old at that time, confirmed that he was the last person to be with Rui Pedro. On March 3, the day before the disappearance, Afonso, reportedly had arranged a meeting for the following day in the afternoon, between a prostitute, Rui Pedro and another child, Rui Pedro's cousin. However, on the 4th, the cousin’s mother didn’t allow the boy to go out with his friends. Filomena, Rui Pedro's mother, had already forbidden her son of playing with Afonso Dias.

Filomena thought that Rui was riding his bike in the usual safe place, near Lousada's junior high school. Instead, Rui was in Afonso's car. They travelled together in the regional road 106, in Lustosa direction.

Upon arriving to Lustosa, Afonso contacted a local prostitute, Alcina, and asked her to have sex with the child. Alcina hesitated, and Rui Pedro obviously distressed, started trembling and cried. Alcina ended up refusing the service, but kept a small conversation with Rui Pedro. After that, the child entered in Afonso Dias's car and was never seen again.

The reconstruction of that day was made in 2002, by the Judiciary Police with the help of, the then and now, primary and only suspect, Afonso Dias.

Rui Pedro suffered epilepsy seizures, one of the hypotheses that was advanced was that Rui Pedro suffered a severe convulsion which caused memory loss or his premature death.

KareBear

Small victories... are huge.
Why a 21 year old man is hanging out with an 11 year old, unrelated, boy is beyond me.. then dropping him off to a prostitute!?? I am suspicious, pretty much convinced, that he got a payoff for luring in that young boy..
Please let him still be alive out there somewhere and returned to his family:praying:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deweypridy