ID PATRICIA LEE OTTO: Missing from Lewiston, ID - 2 Sep 1976 - Age 24

394DFID - Patricia Lee Otto


Left: Otto circa 1976; Right: Age-Progression by Wesley Neville

Name: Patricia Lee Otto
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: September 2, 1976
Location Last Seen: Lewiston, Nez Perce County, Idaho

Physical Description

Date of Birth: August 4, 1952
Age: 24 yrs old
Race: White
Gender: Female
Height: 5'3"
Weight: 140 lbs
Hair Color: Blonde
Eye Color: Hazel
Nickname/Alias: Patty
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Scar on back


Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance

Otto was last seen in Idaho on September 2, 1976. She was reported missing on October 8, 1976. She disappeared after having a fight with her husband who was long suspected of having a hand in her death. He died several years later without being cleared of suspicion or charged with her death.

Investigating Agency(s)

Agency Name: Lewiston Police Department
Agency Contact Person: Chief Christopher Ankeny
Agency Phone Number: 208-746-0171
Agency E-Mail:
Agency Case Number: C91654

NCIC Case Number: M007993243
NamUs Case Number: 2064

Information Source(s)

Idaho Missing Persons Clearinghouse
Lewiston Morning Tribune

*Click the Report button on a case if you'd like it to be moved to the general discussion area to be opened for commenting.*

MEDIA - PATRICIA LEE OTTO: Missing from Lewiston, ID - 2 Sep 1976 - Age 24
Last edited by a moderator:


Staff member

She left behind her rings​

May 19, 2014

It was a warm summer night, Aug. 31, 1976, when Patty Otto disappeared.

No trace has been found since, except for her wedding rings, which were discovered in a pocket of her husband's suit and eventually turned over to his attorney.
They also have since disappeared.

Of all the missing persons cases in the 1970s and '80s, this may be the one that haunts Lewiston's law enforcement community the least because most are convinced her husband killed her.

Ralph Otto, 18 years older than his 24-year-old wife, was the primary suspect, recently retired Lewiston Police Capt. Tom Greene said. "There was no indication anybody else was involved."

Otto was never charged with her death. He died of natural causes while being held in the Clearwater County Jail on an unrelated charge a few years later. But belief in his guilt intensified when he attempted less than a year after Patty's death to hire someone to kill a Lewiston police officer, Duane Ailor, who was pushing hard to find evidence against him.

His conviction on that charge was overturned in 1981 because Idaho didn't have a law on the books saying hiring someone to pull the trigger was the equivalent of attempted murder. That has since changed, but at the time, it meant Otto was a free man until shortly before his death.

"After Ralph died, it's just kind of gone away," Greene said of the case.

That wasn't true for Patty's family, especially her two daughters who were 5 and 3 when their mother disappeared.

And it's not true for one officer, Tom Saleen. Saleen was maybe the first policeman to arrive at the Otto home off of 29th Street at Lewiston's eastern edge to investigate a missing person report filed by Patty's sister. The neighborhood was sparsely populated then. The house stood by itself. Saleen remembers a wet tarp on the ground where it had just been sprayed off. A shovel leaned against a wall. It wasn't enough to get a search warrant, and Saleen doubts that there would have been much to find.

Ralph was intelligent, everyone seems to agree.

His sister, who raised the two little girls, remained almost certain he was innocent, as did the older of the children, Natalie. Suzanne, as an adult going through her own marital problems, said in a past interview that she grew less sure with the years.

According to various accounts, Ralph believed Patty was cheating on him. The night she disappeared, she arrived home late from visiting her parents. She and Ralph argued and he told family and police she stormed out of the house, taking nothing, leaving her daughters in their beds.

The next day he took the girls to one of Patty's sisters, saying he was going to look for her. It was the sister, Alice Mills of Lewiston, who called police.

The family has said good things and bad about the investigation that followed. It was treated for too long as a missing persons case, they believe.

As it progressed, there wasn't enough evidence to get warrants to search the house and other land that Ralph had access to, Saleen said. Only when someone told police years later about a "secret room" in the house were they able to get a warrant. Behind paneling in the basement they found a small area, a few feet square, containing two jet pumps that had been reported stolen from Valley Boat and Motor, but nothing else.

Patty's oldest sibling, Vickie Schaffer of Coeur d'Alene, believes she may know where Patty finally came to rest - someplace near Winchester. She and her husband would drive that way going to Elk City, she said, and she always had bad feelings in a certain place. "So we quit going that way."

The family consulted with psychics, each of whom told them in separate meetings that Patty was dead and they could see water and wet wood. It fit with the Winchester Lake area, Schaffer said.

Part of the problem, Saleen said, was he couldn't find enough gaps in Ralph's alibis for him to have gone far from Lewiston, perhaps not even to the land he had access to near Weippe or Goat Island on the Clearwater River.

Cops say every officer has a case that defines his or her career. This was Saleen's.

A few years ago, he sat with a reporter on the street looking at what had been the Otto home and recited from memory the more than three-decades-old case number, names, dates, facts, suspicions.

He was given Patty's driver's license a couple days after she disappeared, he said, and for eight years, until the day he retired, it set face up in his desk drawer "so that I'd see it every time I opened the drawer, so I'd think about how to solve it."

Even after he left the department, he would call occasionally with suggestions for follow-up.

He wanted to solve the case and find Patty for her parents, Tom and Ardys (Toots) O'Malley and for the two little girls, one of whom died in 2006 with her husband, son and her son's friend when carbon monoxide flooded the boat in which they were sleeping.

The case remains alive to Saleen, and if there was ever to be a break, he would be among the first called, Lewiston Capt. Roger Lanier said.
It's a small, close-knit department in many ways, and people who have left are living archives with the kind of knowledge that is all but impossible to type into reports.

Soon, said Lanier of the group of unsolved and missing persons cases 30 to 40 years old, "there will be no employees here from when these cases started, but there will be employees who have done extensive review. They are familiar with the cases."

On all the missing persons cases, including Patty Otto, the department will get occasional notifications from the National Crime Information Center when remains are found.

They always follow up, hoping someday to find something that will provide closure for family, and also to the officers who have pursued every clue, no matter how old.


Staff member


Staff member

Walla Walla woman believes Finley Creek Jane Doe is her mom​

Suzanne Timms was looking at a Facebook page that lists missing persons when she thought she saw someone familiar — herself.

“I said, ‘Why am I there? I’m not a missing person,’” the Walla Walla, Washington, woman said.

A moment later Timms became convinced that the picture, which she first saw in July, was not of herself but of her mother, Patty Otto, who has been missing since Sept. 1, 1976. What Timms saw was not a photograph but an image created in May by a forensic artist in Massachusetts, Anthony Redgrave, the operator of Redgrave Research Forensic Services. Redgrave was assisting a local group trying to identify a woman found in a shallow grave 10 miles northwest of Elgin in August 1978.

“I am certain she is my mother,” she said.

Timms is sure of Finley Creek Jane Doe’s identity not only because of the forensic image but also the red pants and white blouse a medical examiner’s report photo shows she was wearing.

“That was exactly what my mom had on the last time I saw her,” Timms said.

A Sept. 8, 1976, story in the Lewiston-Morning Tribune also said that Otto was wearing red pants and a white blouse before she disappeared from Lewiston.

Other similarities include the light brown or blond hair the article described, the same color Timms’ mom had. Size is another common characteristic. Finley Creek Jane Doe’s estimated height was 5 feet, 2 inches to 5 feet, 4 inches, the same height as Timms’ mother.

Timms now wants to get DNA to verify that Finley Creek Jane Doe is her mother, which might prove challenging — Timms said Finley Creek Jane Doe was cremated in 1990 because her case had been closed by the state.

Still, Timms is not giving up hope. She knows precisely where Finley Creek Jane Doe was found because her father-in-law, then a child, was with the two hunters, including his father, when they found her in 1978. He has taken Timms to the precise site and they have searched the area for human bone fragments, but none have been found.

She hopes to return later with dogs trained to pick up the scent of human bones. Timms also hopes to be aided by someone trained in the science of scatter analysis who might be able to determine how the bones were spread out.

Another avenue that may be pursued involves attempting to get what are believed to be the ashes of Finley Creek Jane Doe.

It is not known for certain where the ashes of Finley Creek Jane Doe are because they were never returned to La Grande after being sent to Walla Walla to be cremated, Timms said. However, Timms believes her ashes may be those at a mortuary in Walla Walla in a box marked miscellaneous. She said that a Canadian company will be attempting to get DNA from the cremains in the box.


Staff member

Walla Walla women found Facebook post of her missing mom, brining her one step closer to finding her body​

Patricia Lee Otto has been missing for more than four decades, last seen in Lewiston, Idaho on August 31, 1976. Her daughter, Suzanne Timms, has been investigating her mom's disappearance since her adulthood.

"Because my whole life, my dad and his side of the family told me that she left but she would not have left me." said Timms.

Forum statistics

Latest member
Jose rodriguez