Oxford, MI School Shooting *Ethan Crumbley GUILTY PLEA* - *Mom & Dad GUILTY of manslaughter*

Last edited by a moderator:

Ethan Crumbley's journal entries laid out teen's shooting plan, path toward his 'dark side'​

The teen's descent into what he described as his "dark side" was outlined in 21 pages of the 15-year-old's journal, which was found in the bathroom Ethan allegedly entered then exited before he started shooting others.

Some of the passages that were read during testimony in the late afternoon of Feb. 24, which was given by Lt. Timothy Willis of the Oakland County Sheriff's Office, elicited emotional responses from both James and Jennifer Crumbley. A judge ordered both parents to stand trial for involuntary manslaughter following closing arguments Thursday.

A passage from a page that's dated Nov. 29, it reads "FORGIVE ME" in big bold letters. From there, nearly every page afterwards discusses plans to commit mass murder, Willis said.

Oakland County Assistant Prosecutor Marc Keast: "Out of those 21 pages, how many discussed the Oxford High School shooting or his plan to shoot up Oxford High School?"

Willis: "Every single page"

Embedded within the pages are disturbing drawings and details about Ethan's mental state and a calculated plan to murder other students.

"First off, I got my gun. It's an SP2022 SIG Sauer 9mm. Second, the shooting is tomorrow, I have access to the gun and ammo," Willis said from the stand.

One page has a drawing depicting a girl with an ‘x’ replacing the eyes and a semi-automatic handgun firing into the person. The words written around the drawing say "the first victim has to be pretty girl with a future so she can suffer like me."

On page 19, it reads "I will kill everyone I f****** see." Another passage on the same page reads "I will cause the biggest school shooting in Michigan's history. I have fully mentally lost it after years of fighting with my dark side. My parents won't listen to me about help or a therapist."

On page 6, it has the word "help" with bold letters colored in. Next to that, it also reads "I have zero help for my mental problems and it's causing me to shoot up the f****** school."

In other passages, Willis asks for his parents to forgive him, saying he's "not trying to hurt you by doing this, I have to do this."

Ethan Crumbley's journal entries laid out teen's shooting plan, path toward his 'dark side'​

The teen's descent into what he described as his "dark side" was outlined in 21 pages of the 15-year-old's journal, which was found in the bathroom Ethan allegedly entered then exited before he started shooting others.

Some of the passages that were read during testimony in the late afternoon of Feb. 24, which was given by Lt. Timothy Willis of the Oakland County Sheriff's Office, elicited emotional responses from both James and Jennifer Crumbley. A judge ordered both parents to stand trial for involuntary manslaughter following closing arguments Thursday.

A passage from a page that's dated Nov. 29, it reads "FORGIVE ME" in big bold letters. From there, nearly every page afterwards discusses plans to commit mass murder, Willis said.

Oakland County Assistant Prosecutor Marc Keast: "Out of those 21 pages, how many discussed the Oxford High School shooting or his plan to shoot up Oxford High School?"

Willis: "Every single page"

Embedded within the pages are disturbing drawings and details about Ethan's mental state and a calculated plan to murder other students.

"First off, I got my gun. It's an SP2022 SIG Sauer 9mm. Second, the shooting is tomorrow, I have access to the gun and ammo," Willis said from the stand.

One page has a drawing depicting a girl with an ‘x’ replacing the eyes and a semi-automatic handgun firing into the person. The words written around the drawing say "the first victim has to be pretty girl with a future so she can suffer like me."

On page 19, it reads "I will kill everyone I f****** see." Another passage on the same page reads "I will cause the biggest school shooting in Michigan's history. I have fully mentally lost it after years of fighting with my dark side. My parents won't listen to me about help or a therapist."

On page 6, it has the word "help" with bold letters colored in. Next to that, it also reads "I have zero help for my mental problems and it's causing me to shoot up the f****** school."

In other passages, Willis asks for his parents to forgive him, saying he's "not trying to hurt you by doing this, I have to do this."
I haven't followed this very closely but I do generally read it quickly when I see a post pop up. I know the parents are charged in this one and that brought some controversy in the public but am not up on all details.

I think it is a slippery slope to hold parents accountable, for a teen's actions particularly, BUT that there MAY be reasons to and each case is different... In general I would want to see ample and factual reason as I think most parents do their best and some teens can be truly uncontrollable and parents not even know where to turn with few resources.

HOWEVER, the bolded statement bothers me and if this is true, I think it very important. If THIS teen actually knew he needed help, asked for it, was willing to seek it and wanted a therapist (and it wasn't just a game), AND said as much to his parents, well then they should have been doing all possible to get him one (money and other factors can be issues but they should have been making an effort even if a pastor, friend or whatever they could do)...

I'm not saying it "clinches" anything because he could have just been using that or saying it to his parents to get away with something, make excuses, etc.. but IF he did say it, mean it tried seriously to talk to his parents about it, it is pretty significant imo and worth looking into relating to responsibility on their part...

In his opinion, Oakland County Circuit Judge Kwame Rowe noted that he reviewed text messages and journal entries by Ethan that showed the teenager had made Molotov cocktails and contemplated that he "may use the Molotov cocktails during the school shooting."

In his journal, Ethan also wrote that he had once started a small fire in the woods, and that he killed eight baby birds "by slowly torturing them," the judge wrote, noting that he also saw a video of Ethan torturing a baby bird to death.

Rowe wrote that these "prior delinquent acts are of grave concerns to this court."

These factors, among others, helped convince Rowe that Ethan should remain in the Oakland County Jail, despite pleas from his lawyers that he be moved to Children's Village - a juvenile detention center in Pontiac.

"This court cannot find that the juvenile would be safely detained at Children's Village," Rowe wrote in his decision. "It is clear that Children's Village is incapable of safely housing this defendant because of the unique circumstances this case presents."

Prosecutor wants accused Oxford shooter's name excluded from court filings, hearings​

The Oakland County prosecutor wants the name of the accused Oxford High School shooter removed wherever possible from court filings and for participants in hearings to refrain from saying his name, according to court records.

Prosecutor Karen McDonald is expected to ask the judge presiding over his parents' case to rule on her "no notoriety" request next week. Prosecutors have referenced writings in his personal journal where he said he wanted to be known as responsible for one of the nation's worst school-shooting crimes so his name would live on.

“Shooters want to be famous,” said McDonald in a statement about her request. “It’s one of the key motivators for most shooters, and it was definitely a motivator for the Oxford shooter. He wanted to be famous, and he wanted to be remembered.

“What the experts tell us, and what more than a decade of data shows, is that making one shooter famous and repeating his name and constantly showing his picture will motivate future shooters,” McDonald said. “Each shooter wants to be as famous, or even more famous, than the last shooter. So when we repeat the Oxford shooter’s name and continuously publicize his photo, we’re contributing to future shootings.

“I’m not going to be a part of that,” McDonald continued. “That’s why we do not repeat the shooter’s name in court or in our briefs, and that’s why we are asking the court to order that this shooter’s name not be used in open court or in public filings.”

McDonald’s position is that there are other terms – including “Oxford couple's son,” “teenager” or simply “the shooter” – that can be used instead of his name. She believes excluding his name could deter other people with similar tendencies.

Prosecutor wants accused Oxford shooter's name excluded from court filings, hearings​

The Oakland County prosecutor wants the name of the accused Oxford High School shooter removed wherever possible from court filings and for participants in hearings to refrain from saying his name, according to court records.

Prosecutor Karen McDonald is expected to ask the judge presiding over his parents' case to rule on her "no notoriety" request next week. Prosecutors have referenced writings in his personal journal where he said he wanted to be known as responsible for one of the nation's worst school-shooting crimes so his name would live on.

“Shooters want to be famous,” said McDonald in a statement about her request. “It’s one of the key motivators for most shooters, and it was definitely a motivator for the Oxford shooter. He wanted to be famous, and he wanted to be remembered.

“What the experts tell us, and what more than a decade of data shows, is that making one shooter famous and repeating his name and constantly showing his picture will motivate future shooters,” McDonald said. “Each shooter wants to be as famous, or even more famous, than the last shooter. So when we repeat the Oxford shooter’s name and continuously publicize his photo, we’re contributing to future shootings.

“I’m not going to be a part of that,” McDonald continued. “That’s why we do not repeat the shooter’s name in court or in our briefs, and that’s why we are asking the court to order that this shooter’s name not be used in open court or in public filings.”

McDonald’s position is that there are other terms – including “Oxford couple's son,” “teenager” or simply “the shooter” – that can be used instead of his name. She believes excluding his name could deter other people with similar tendencies.
Wholeheartedly agree and it is our world that has made infamy a GOOD thing in the eyes of youth and other generations younger than most of us. All went to be a "someONE" and known. Infamy used to be almost a death sentence in Hollywood, to types like Pamela Anderson or Lindsey Lohan and school shooters or serial killers were BAD things. You were a pariah. Now you have kids online too doing the stupidest things when they don't have any maturity or nasty things like killing a dog or beating someone up all for "likes". I'm not excusing it but I am saying our world has made it that way where they think I'll be known. No one notices me. They will now. The Lohan etc. kind of thing is any press is good press when you aren't being noticed. And some of these kids it is like well I'll be known for something.

It is like that other what's his face that stabbed that girl over 100 times in Florida. I don't remember his name. He is filth and evil. She is the victim. HER name was Trystin Bailey. What were they 13, 14?

And he's making a sign in the cop car like a big man and his mom washed his jeans to keep him out of a murder charge...

WOW. I love that they are going for this in this case. I hate these kids think this way.

Accused Oxford High School shooter to remain in jail​

Ethan Crumbley, the student accused of killing four students at Oxford High School in November, appeared in court Thursday.

Crumbley’s defense team has said in January they will pursue an insanity defense. Earlier in March, they requested he be moved to Oakland County Children’s Village -- a juvenile facility -- but that was denied by a judge.

It was revealed Thursday that Crumbley’s psychiatric evaluation has been completed and that the results will be available in 45 days.

Regarding Crumbley’s education, the judge said prosecution and defense teams are working on a plan. He will be presented with several options, including online classes.

Education behind bars is typically the parents’ responsibility, but James and Jennifer Crumbley are also in jail on Involuntary manslaughter charges connected to the case.

On Tuesday, Judge Cheryl Matthews assigned independent counsels to each parent due to concerns of potential conflicts of interest. Because each is represented by an attorney from the same law firm, the potential for a conflict exists, Matthews said.

Accused Oxford High School shooter to remain in jail​

Ethan Crumbley, the student accused of killing four students at Oxford High School in November, appeared in court Thursday.

Crumbley’s defense team has said in January they will pursue an insanity defense. Earlier in March, they requested he be moved to Oakland County Children’s Village -- a juvenile facility -- but that was denied by a judge.

It was revealed Thursday that Crumbley’s psychiatric evaluation has been completed and that the results will be available in 45 days.

Regarding Crumbley’s education, the judge said prosecution and defense teams are working on a plan. He will be presented with several options, including online classes.

Education behind bars is typically the parents’ responsibility, but James and Jennifer Crumbley are also in jail on Involuntary manslaughter charges connected to the case.

On Tuesday, Judge Cheryl Matthews assigned independent counsels to each parent due to concerns of potential conflicts of interest. Because each is represented by an attorney from the same law firm, the potential for a conflict exists, Matthews said.
Here we go with not only options for a defendant again but "several options". Why?

James and Jennifer Crumbley request for lower bond denied; judge mulls Oct. 24 trial date​

A judge denied the Crumbley parent's motion requesting a lower bond during another preliminary hearing in the Oxford High School shooting case.

Judge Cheryl Matthews also considered a date for the eventual trial of James and Jennifer Crumbley on charges of involuntary manslaughter, narrowing on Oct. 24. She said she would wait until expected motions were filed by defense to officially schedule it.

James and Jennifer Crumbley had requested another bond reduction in hopes of having a chance to be released from jail, asking for a $100,000 cash surety bond. It will remain at $500,000 per defendant.

"The defendants indicate they were devastated when they heard about the alleged actions of their son, felt unsafe in their home, felt hounded by the press, and found it necessary to leave," Matthews said, referring to the Crumbley's fleeing after a warrant was issued for their arrest. "However, the chronology of events that occurred subsequent to the defendants leaving their home is not consistent with cooperation of law enforcement."

Based off of the actions taken by the Crumbleys the day they were charged, Matthews said she believed they were fleeing the jurisdiction.

Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald agreed.

"I don’t think there is a lawyer, jurist, or member of the public who thinks that that was not an attempt to flee. It absolutely was. It wasn’t a close call," she said.

Defense Attorneys Shannon Smith, who is representing James Crumbley, and Mrielle Lehman, who is representing Jennifer Crumbley, also said they planned to file "around 10 motions" pertaining to medical records, evidentiary hearing information, and other minor issues.

Both said they planned to work out any problems with the prosecution before filing anything.

Tentative trial date set for Oxford shooting suspect Ethan Crumbley​

Oxford High School shooting suspect Ethan Crumbley appeared for a pretrial hearing via Zoom on Thursday that also served as a review of his jail status.

Crumbley, 15, is currently housed in the Oakland County Jail, but Oakland County Circuit Judge Kwame Rowe must review his jail status every 30 days under federal law that protects the rights of incarcerated juveniles.

Rowe decided Crumbley will remain in the adult jail.

Rowe also set a tentative trail date for 8:30 a.m. Sept. 6.

Crumbley will appear in court again at 9 a.m. May 19 for the next review of his jail status.

Families of Oxford High School shooting victims react after board again rejects independent investigation​

The parents of two victims of the Nov. 30, 2021, shooting at Oxford High School in Michigan are demanding more transparency from the school district after the board voted against moving forward with an independent investigation into the tragedy last fall.

The Oxford Board of Education on Tuesday announced that the district has, for the second time, declined an offer from Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel to conduct a third-party investigation into the school shooting with the goal of determining how shooting suspect Ethan Crumbley, 15, managed to kill four students and injure seven others last fall.

"To me, this is an admission of guilt," Buck Myre, father of deceased 16-year-old Tate Myre, said during a Thursday press conference. "They know that things didn't go right that day, and they don't want to stand up and fix it. They're going to hide behind governmental immunity and they're going to hide behind insurance and the lawyers. What's this teach the kids? They're in high school. … This is horrible leadership."

"We just want accountability," he added later when asked why an independent investigation is important to parents.

Oakland County Prosecutor: 'No reason' to delay independent probe of Oxford School shooting​

The Oakland County Prosecutor said there was "no reason" to delay an independent review of the Oxford School shooting that took place last November when four teens were killed and several others were injured.

In a statement, Prosecutor Karen McDonald said such probes of other mass shootings had "been conducted promptly" following the incident and there was no reason one shouldn't go forward at Oxford.

"The Oxford victims and the entire Oxford community want such an independent review, and they deserve it. The lessons we learn will benefit all of us," she said.

"After Sandy Hook, an Advisory Commission was formed consisting of experts in the fields of mental health, law enforcement training and response, designing secure schools, and public policy implementation. The Sandy Hook Commission then issued a 277-page report making recommendations in all of those areas."

The school board rejected state Attorney General Dana Nessel's offer to probe the shooting on Tuesday, opting instead for "more holistic third-party reviews" that will also assess the district's three-year plan. Three companies are being considered for the probe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back