LA NEVAEH ALLEN: Missing from Baton Rouge, LA - 24 Sept 2021 - Age 2 *Found Deceased*

LMN36PIW7FBVZKAP33EBM4XERU.jpg

Search underway for 2-year-old who disappeared at apartment complex​

Detectives with the Baton Rouge Police Department are searching an apartment complex for a missing toddler on Friday, Sept. 24.

Neveah Allen, 2, was last seen around noon at an apartment complex on West La Belle Avenue, which is off Florida Boulevard, according to BRPD.

Helicopters are assisting in the search.

According to Lanaya Cardwell the mother of the Neveah, she was at work when she got a call the baby wandered off from the apartment.

Cardwell says the baby was asleep on the couch for a nap when the mom’s boyfriend woke up and saw Neveah was gone.

She was last seen wearing a yellow dress with pineapples.

According to the mom, the door was left open when she left but that “she (Naveah) is not the type to wander off,” said Cardwell.

MEDIA - NEVEAH ALLEN: Missing from Baton Rouge, LA since 24 Sept 2021 - Age 2

Last edited:
What I listed are just precautions and things to think about. The breakdown of the nuclear family is wreaking havoc on a lot of children. I’m just going to leave it at that because I don’t have any magic solutions.
Yep, I do agree, not arguing. There aren't any solutions and the big one/large part of the problem is the lack of nuclear families in my opinion too. Also, back in the day, grandma could often watch the grandchildren, etc. or help but as generations have went on, both parents often have to work and many grandmothers do. I always did for instance and am a grandma.

I don't need to say more either, just wish the right support could be there to help the ones that are trying at least. Many don't of course.

Mothers, don’t leave your babies with boyfriends and step-fathers unless they are non-violent and not prone to getting wasted, and have NO history of harming other living beings.

The End.

Two posts in and I knew what happened. 😢
I'll add my 2 cents .. stay single & raise the child yourself.

Fully agree as I know you do it and I did the same. Not an easy road though and these women with several kids, maybe no family support and more, even harder I am sure. It is sad, and there is no real answer. Everyone's boat is different. I guess though I am even more upset at the men/fathers.

These cases just get to me. Obviously. To us all. I do hope the mother is not involved in any way other than trusting the wrong person. I seriously should not look at cases like this right now. I need to get a tougher hide. Quickly.

Missing child was homicide victim, coroner's office says; no charges filed over killing​

The East Baton Rouge Parish coroner’s office said Monday that Neveah Allen, a toddler whose body was recovered Sunday in southern Mississippi, was the victim of a homicide.

The coroner’s office said it needs 60-90 days to conduct a complete examination that would include toxicology reports and other laboratory tests, but that an immediate assessment indicated she was killed.

“Preliminary autopsy findings are as follows: `Manner – Homicide; Cause of Death – pending further studies (histology and toxicology)’,” the office of Dr. William “Beau” Clark reported.

The girl’s stepfather, Phillip Gardner, 30, was arrested Sunday on counts of unlawful disposal of remains and obstruction of justice. No one has been implicated in her death.

After initially telling police that the girl disappeared while he took a nap Friday afternoon, he told investigators Saturday night that he woke up Friday to find the girl “unresponsive and lifeless” and that he "disposed of the remains without notifying authorities."

An Advocate source said Monday that investigators knew early on that Gardner’s initial story wasn’t true. By Saturday, they knew that he had traveled to Mississippi the day before the source said on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about an ongoing investigation. Separately, the FBI entered the case because whatever crime occurred involved crossing a state line, the source said.

Family members said the relationship between Gardner and the toddler's mother was marked by violence, sometimes involving the child. BRPD said Gardner has no previous arrests.

Mother has now been arrested.

I really believed her initial plea too. She seemed truly distraught.
(I guess she still could have been, just at the death of her child instead of her being “missing”.)

GRAPHIC: New details released about Nevaeh Allen death​

According to the arrest information from the 19th JDC, Phillip Gardner told authorities that mother Lanaya Cardwell was getting ready for work when Allen walked into the bathroom and grabbed the mother’s contact lenses.

Cardwell became upset and punched Allen with a closed fist in the stomach causing her to fall and hit her head on a cabinet.

According to reports Gardner said, Cardwell, the mother took 2-year-old Allen into another room and described hearing what sounded to be two adults fighting.

Gardner observed Allen crying and noticed a bruise on her forehead.

He then took Cardwell to work and returned home with Allen.

Allen refused to eat and complained of stomach pain to Gardner.

Later Allen laid down on the couch and was found unresponsive.

According to Gardner, he attempted to give Allen CPR, but she was cold and lifeless. He did admit to not calling 911 and leaving his cell phone at home so police could not track it.

Gardner, then went on to state that he put the remains of Allen in a suitcase and loaded her into his car and drove to Mississippi to dispose of her remains, and then disposed of the suitcase and Allen’s clothing in a trashcan.

According to police Gardner confessed to making a false missing person report.

According to authorities, the forensic pathologist stated that while the victim had severe trauma causing brain swelling, it cannot be ruled out that the victim was still alive at the time that Gardner placed her in the suitcase and suffocated to death prior to succumbing to the other injuries.

Can't hardly deal with this one. I will just say this is probably a partial truth story, they usually are, IF even partial. Determining a skull fracture and the severity can take some time, that is of course, if they have reason to think she has one. That's as much as I am going to let myself think about it.

Closed fist??!!

No word on what her story is.

Mother and boyfriend at odds over how toddler died, other kids in state custody​

The WBRZ Investigative Unit learned Thursday the mother of 2-year-old Nevaeh Allen is telling a different story than her boyfriend involving the death of her daughter.

WBRZ also learned from sources that four other children who were living with Lanaya Cardwell and her boyfriend were taken into state custody.

In arrest documents first reported by WBRZ Wednesday, Phillip Gardner told investigators Nevaeh's mother, Cardwell, punched the child in the chest after she grabbed her contact lenses. The child hit her head on a cabinet, and went "lifeless" after Gardner took Cardwell to work. The child was unresponsive, and Gardner admitted to stuffing her in a suitcase and driving her to Mississippi where he buried her.

"Right now, the physical and scientific evidence are what's going to be what drives things," Moore said. "In addition to statements people made."

Moore said he expects a judge to make a ruling on Cardwell and Gardner's bonds soon. The coroner expects to have more information about the cause of death in a few weeks when toxicology and other tests are completed.

No word on what her story is.

Mother and boyfriend at odds over how toddler died, other kids in state custody​

The WBRZ Investigative Unit learned Thursday the mother of 2-year-old Nevaeh Allen is telling a different story than her boyfriend involving the death of her daughter.

WBRZ also learned from sources that four other children who were living with Lanaya Cardwell and her boyfriend were taken into state custody.

In arrest documents first reported by WBRZ Wednesday, Phillip Gardner told investigators Nevaeh's mother, Cardwell, punched the child in the chest after she grabbed her contact lenses. The child hit her head on a cabinet, and went "lifeless" after Gardner took Cardwell to work. The child was unresponsive, and Gardner admitted to stuffing her in a suitcase and driving her to Mississippi where he buried her.

"Right now, the physical and scientific evidence are what's going to be what drives things," Moore said. "In addition to statements people made."

Moore said he expects a judge to make a ruling on Cardwell and Gardner's bonds soon. The coroner expects to have more information about the cause of death in a few weeks when toxicology and other tests are completed.
I am not surprised. Didn't want to say too much when both arrested and with his story but something about the story does not sit right with me. Not saying mom was perfect but I picture a two year old first, not real tall. What? Mom bends over and hits her in the chest with a fist, seems strange to me. And then I think of cabinet height and a two year old. The child may have fell or hit a cabinet, maybe the side, the edge, I guess...

Then I guess things can take time but the child rides with to work and is apparently alive and okay but only when back with the bf, she complains and doesn't want to eat. Then is lifeless allegedly.

I lean towards him. I didn't want to say much but now with the stories allegedly different, I just don't think what he says adds up... And of course our case is in my head and what they find with injury is going to really tell (hopefully) if his story fits the injuries... That's as far as I can go with that right now...

Judge sets bond amount for mother of Nevaeh Allen​

Lanaya Cardwell, the woman accused in the death of her two-year-old daughter, appeared in court for a hearing Friday morning.

However, the hearing, which was set to review her bond amount and other issues related to her case, was postponed until Monday, October 4, to give her court-appointed attorney more time to review the case.

Cardwell’s bond is currently set at $300,000. That amount could be changed, or bond denied altogether, during next week’s hearing. She remains incarcerated and appeared in court in handcuffs Friday.

Cardwell’s boyfriend, Phillip Gardner, is accused of disposing of the girl’s body. Both are charged with second-degree murder. He also remains incarcerated.

Mother of slain toddler Nevaeh Allen won't be allowed to bond out of jail for now​

A couple accused of beating a toddler to death and then faking the child's disappearance is jailed in East Baton Rouge.

On Friday, WBRZ learned Lanaya Cardwell was being held on a bond of $300,000. However, a judge put a hold on the bond later that same day, meaning she'll stay in jail at least until a hearing scheduled for Monday.

No bond has been set for Gardner as of Friday afternoon.

The WBRZ Investigative Unit learned Thursday that Gardner and Cardwell have told police conflicting stories about how Nevaeh died. As of Friday, police said it's unclear whether Cardwell knew her child was dead when the missing person report was filed.

I think there is going to be some reading between the lines here of the stories of each as to what the likely truth is. IF we hear it all and they don't stop talking/lawyer up, etc.

New bonds set for mother, boyfriend accused in Nevaeh Allen’s death​

19th Judicial District Court Judge Christopher Dassau set bond for both Lanaya Cardwell, the girl’s mother, and Cardwell’s boyfriend, Phillip Gardner, at $375,000.

Both are facing second-degree murder charges for Nevaeh Allen’s death.

Cardwell was appointed a private attorney just before Monday’s hearing, since the Public Defender’s Office is representing her boyfriend Gardner. This was done because the same office cannot represent the couple because of a potential conflict of interest.

Cardwell and Gardner told Judge Dassau they do not have the money to pay the current bond amount. If they do, they will be under house arrest with several conditions, including no contact with each other or any minors.

Ray said Cardwell is 8 months pregnant and should not be considered a flight risk.

Their next court appearance is set for Monday, Nov. 8.

The Nevaeh Allen case: How a fatal blow, coverup led to the 2-year-old's death, police say​

When the 3-year-old girl told relatives that her 2-year-old sister Nevaeh Allen was “in the forest,” no one knew what to make of it.

Days later, law enforcement revealed their narrative about Nevaeh’s disappearance, and it became clear what the girl meant.

Despite the coroner’s initial findings, East Baton Rouge District Attorney Hillar Moore III cautioned that final autopsy results can take weeks, adding that details known about the case may change as police continue their investigation.

“There are a lot of other pieces of potential evidence still out there,” Moore said. “We still have a long way to go.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back