CA NAYA RIVERA: Missing from Lake Piru, CA - 8 July 2020 - Age 33 *Found Deceased*

1594274742808.jpeg
‘Glee’ actress Naya Rivera missing, feared dead; 4-year-old son found alone on boat, deputies say

Deputies in California will resume searching Thursday for “Glee” star Naya Rivera, who was feared dead after her young son was discovered alone on a boat on Lake Piru, multiple news outlets are reporting.

According to KCBS and KNBC, the 33-year-old actress rented a boat Wednesday afternoon and went swimming on the lake with her 4-year-old son, the Ventura County Sheriff's Office said. The boy, who was wearing a life vest, safely returned to the boat, but Rivera never did, deputies said.

Staffers with the boat rental company discovered the boy alone on the vessel and alerted authorities, who looked for the actress until suspending the search late Wednesday, KABC reported. The search will resume Thursday, officials said.

MEDIA - NAYA RIVERA: Missing from Lake Piru, CA since 8 July 2020 - Age 33

Last edited:

Rivera rented a pontoon boat at about 1 p.m. PT Wednesday and planned to go swimming with the little boy in the reservoir's recreation area, authorities said. Another boater found her son on the north end of the lake asleep on the boat and wearing a life vest.

"We're going on the belief that she did go in the water, and we have not been able to locate her. So this may well be a case of drowning," Capt. Eric Buschow said during a news conference.

Rivera's identification was found on the boat, and her vehicle was found in a parking area, authorities said. The boy was safe and healthy and with family members.

While I see no likely foul play here, it still seems a bit odd. Did she get off the boat to swim while her son was sleeping? If so, one would think she would stay close. It has always been said to me that the people most likely to drown are actually swimmers as they often do not see the need for a life jacket. Whatever happened, it does not look likely to have a good outcome. I have read a few reviews on this lake, lots of bushes in the water on the north end, etc. Someone else said very mucky stand in mud shore lines. These were various years though...

Investigators Release 911 Call Made After Boaters Found ‘Glee’ Actress Naya Rivera’s Son On Boat In Lake Piru

As the search for “Glee” actress Naya Rivera continued Thursday, Ventura County officials released the 911 call made after her 4-year-old son was found on a boat on the lake.

“The emergency is that we have a missing person,” an employee of the rental boat business said. “We found a little girl in one of the boats by herself, and her mom is nowhere to be found.”

The caller initially assumed Rivera’s child, a 4-year-old boy, was a little girl because of his long hair.

The Ventura County Sheriff’s Department also released security video of 33-year-old Rivera and her child getting into the boat together Wednesday afternoon. There was nobody else seen getting in the boat.

“We’ve had no indication, after talking to her son, that Ms. Rivera made it to shore,” Sgt. Kevin Donoghue, of VCSD, said.

Deputies said Rivera had experience navigating Lake Piru, but even the most experienced swimmers could succumb to the lake’s dangerous rip currents or get tangled up in debris.

Officials said Rivera was presumed dead Thursday and the search and rescue effort had turned into a search and recovery effort.

Investigators Release 911 Call Made After Boaters Found ‘Glee’ Actress Naya Rivera’s Son On Boat In Lake Piru

As the search for “Glee” actress Naya Rivera continued Thursday, Ventura County officials released the 911 call made after her 4-year-old son was found on a boat on the lake.

“The emergency is that we have a missing person,” an employee of the rental boat business said. “We found a little girl in one of the boats by herself, and her mom is nowhere to be found.”

The caller initially assumed Rivera’s child, a 4-year-old boy, was a little girl because of his long hair.

The Ventura County Sheriff’s Department also released security video of 33-year-old Rivera and her child getting into the boat together Wednesday afternoon. There was nobody else seen getting in the boat.

“We’ve had no indication, after talking to her son, that Ms. Rivera made it to shore,” Sgt. Kevin Donoghue, of VCSD, said.

Deputies said Rivera had experience navigating Lake Piru, but even the most experienced swimmers could succumb to the lake’s dangerous rip currents or get tangled up in debris.

Officials said Rivera was presumed dead Thursday and the search and rescue effort had turned into a search and recovery effort.

I guess I am going to have to rewatch this tomorrow as I truly do not see what it is supposed to show. I guess closeups maybe show it was just her and the boy leaving in the boat or pontoon? I sure can't tell from this. Only thing clear is the vehicle being parked and her and I gather her son getting out and crossing the lot. And then three utility atv vehicles driving off at some point and various times. I guess they have closer footage. I saw different dots of people walking around back and forth on the docks at a various time or two in between a whole lot of nothing. Again I suppose they have better footage than how we see it here...

It's just them pulling up, walking to the boat, and leaving in the boat. I don't think it's supposed to show anything significant. Just reiterating that they believe she drowned, and not some crazy scenario with kidnappers, a third person, or someone loading up the boy on his own.

It's just them pulling up, walking to the boat, and leaving in the boat. I don't think it's supposed to show anything significant. Just reiterating that they believe she drowned, and not some crazy scenario with kidnappers, a third person, or someone loading up the boy on his own.
Yeah, it appears likely to be drowning. I can only think of one way foul play could be a factor and it seems highly unlikely so I won't even voice it. I do wonder if she had a phone with, not that reception would maybe be great, but as a mother, I would think it would go with. My only reason for wondering that is normal thoughts like was she lost as to how to get back, pontoon become stuck or mechanical breakdown?

The most likely scenario to me is son was sleeping and she went for a swim near the pontoon (close to him to see) to enjoy herself and cool off and got into trouble...

A few things in this article, here is part:

"Lake Piru has been the site of several drownings over the years due to its dangerous conditions. Park officials have previously noted that strong winds, chilly waters and the lake’s depth (160 ft) are often to blame in such incidents. "This area is notorious for the winds," Donoghue said of the lake."

A few things in this article, here is part:

"Lake Piru has been the site of several drownings over the years due to its dangerous conditions. Park officials have previously noted that strong winds, chilly waters and the lake’s depth (160 ft) are often to blame in such incidents. "This area is notorious for the winds," Donoghue said of the lake."

Which means the wind could have made the boat drift away from her faster than she could swim back to it.

Which means the wind could have made the boat drift away from her faster than she could swim back to it.
I have wondered that too... She was trying to catch up with it with her son on it...? Perhaps...? Maybe thought she had it secured or anchored well or the wind came up...?

I have wondered that too... She was trying to catch up with it with her son on it...? Perhaps...? Maybe thought she had it secured or anchored well or the wind came up...?
We see people at the lake we go to get in trouble all the time thinking that keeping a pool noodle will keep their kids safe "in case they need it", but when even a breeze comes up, off goes the pool noodle and then they place their kids in danger even more when they have to swim further out to retrieve it and/or get back to shore exhausted without it.

We see people at the lake we go to get in trouble all the time thinking that keeping a pool noodle will keep their kids safe "in case they need it", but when even a breeze comes up, off goes the pool noodle and then they place their kids in danger even more when they have to swim further out to retrieve it and/or get back to shore exhausted without it.

I don't swim and wish I could (made sure my children can because I never learned) so I am more cautious than many by far... In my lifetime, think I said it earlier here too, it is generally the people who can who assume too much or they could save someone easily, etc. Not a judgment just tends to be true. I know someone whose first wife drowned and she was well past lifeguard status in her own abilities.

I agree, pool noodles, even cheap little arm floaties, etc. I would never put enough security in anything like that, does it help, of course, to save your life security, no! And as you said they can float away, etc.

I was on a smallish boat way out in the ocean once and I was more than a bit nervous about it. Several of us on this thing, a fishing trip and each person I knew and trusted and ALL assured me I was safe, etc. they would do nothing to risk anything. They see a sea tortoise and every single one of them rushed to one side of this small boat and about capsized us. One of them, I won't go into more detail, knew how to swim but probably had not in decades and I doubt at his weight he could have saved himself had we ended up in the middle of the damned ocean capsized.

I won't go near deep water and if I am on a boat as much as I hate a lifejacket when I want some sun, I keep it on... I have on very rare occasion taken one off on a flat floor pontoon with just a person or two I trust on a small lake on a calm day but it is never out of my hand... I am not even truly comfortable with that.

i don't know what happened here but it appears she herself did not have a lifejacket on... I don't know that it would have saved her but I do think they would have found her by now...

I don't swim and wish I could (made sure my children can because I never learned) so I am more cautious than many by far... In my lifetime, think I said it earlier here too, it is generally the people who can who assume too much or they could save someone easily, etc. Not a judgment just tends to be true. I know someone whose first wife drowned and she was well past lifeguard status in her own abilities.

I agree, pool noodles, even cheap little arm floaties, etc. I would never put enough security in anything like that, does it help, of course, to save your life security, no! And as you said they can float away, etc.

I was on a smallish boat way out in the ocean once and I was more than a bit nervous about it. Several of us on this thing, a fishing trip and each person I knew and trusted and ALL assured me I was safe, etc. they would do nothing to risk anything. They see a sea tortoise and every single one of them rushed to one side of this small boat and about capsized us. One of them, I won't go into more detail, knew how to swim but probably had not in decades and I doubt at his weight he could have saved himself had we ended up in the middle of the damned ocean capsized.

I won't go near deep water and if I am on a boat as much as I hate a lifejacket when I want some sun, I keep it on... I have on very rare occasion taken one off on a flat floor pontoon with just a person or two I trust on a small lake on a calm day but it is never out of my hand... I am not even truly comfortable with that.

i don't know what happened here but it appears she herself did not have a lifejacket on... I don't know that it would have saved her but I do think they would have found her by now...
Arm floaties at least don't blow away from you. I would rather they use those instead of the pool noodles for that very reason.

Arm floaties at least don't blow away from you. I would rather they use those instead of the pool noodles for that very reason.

I agree but I think both are far better for a pool than a lake. Just my opinion. And when one looks at like 99c cheap arm floaties at Walmart, I am not so sure how much I would trust them to stay inflated... Just me...

I agree though that they are more apt to stay with the child but a child is not going to lay on them like a tube or noodle to try to keep their head out of water...

I guess I agree entirely, just mean they are not lifejackets... And they do not mean a parent can turn their attention away...

I agree but I think both are far better for a pool than a lake. Just my opinion. And when one looks at like 99c cheap arm floaties at Walmart, I am not so sure how much I would trust them to stay inflated... Just me...

I agree though that they are more apt to stay with the child but a child is not going to lay on them like a tube or noodle to try to keep their head out of water...

I guess I agree entirely, just mean they are not lifejackets... And they do not mean a parent can turn their attention away...
Neither should be used at a lake in place of a life jacket. I've seen it way too many times with the pool noodles that they get away way too easily. Those things also get slippery when playing in the water and shoot right away from you. We take them with us to the lake, but for recreation, not for life saving and not if we are out on a boat on the water. Where we go they provide life jackets for free for those that need/want to use them, so there is absolutely no excuse for it there. At least she had one on her little one, as it should be.

Neither should be used at a lake in place of a life jacket. I've seen it way too many times with the pool noodles that they get away way too easily. Those things also get slippery when playing in the water and shoot right away from you. We take them with us to the lake, but for recreation, not for life saving and not if we are out on a boat on the water. Where we go they provide life jackets for free for those that need/want to use them, so there is absolutely no excuse for it there. At least she had one on her little one, as it should be.
Yes, she definitely did. Thank goodness he was found safe.

I can even think to tubes and air mattresses. They are all great toys but a child can end up past water depth in a lake on one or it can float away and a child try to retrieve it and go under. That part I guess all comes down to parental supervision at all times. Or a beach ball even.

This case in no way do those things seem to apply, I agree. The boy was fully in a life jacket and safe. I do wish she had done the same for herself which apparently she did not. We may never know what happened but her son was taken care of and she never put him at risk quite clearly.

Friday's search for 'Glee' star Naya Rivera 'much more technological'

The search effort to recover the body of "Glee" actress Naya Rivera, 33, resumed at daybreak Friday in Lake Piru.

As of 3 p.m., no remains had been found, according to the Ventura County Sheriff's Office. Teams had resumed efforts at first light.

Sheriff's officials investigating the incident say there was no evidence of foul play or any indication of a suicide. The death appears to be the result of an accident of some sort.

Friday's search effort was different than Thursday's attempt, which ultimately had close to 100 people in the water, said Ventura County Sheriff's Sgt. Kevin Donoghue, a spokesman for the agency.

"Today, we put fewer divers in the water," he said, "but more technology."

Specialized equipment had arrived at the scene Friday, including side-scan sonar, that would allow dive teams to search "smarter and more efficiently," Donoghue said.

About 50 people were expected to search the lake Friday, he said, including dive teams from Los Angeles and Tulare counties along with the local agency's unit.

The lake bed beneath the water has almost no visibility, which meant human divers had to basically search by feel, he said. The side-scan sonar allows crews to target, and search for, objects with a specific size profile.

When objects are located, a remote drone can be sent to look at what the sonar sees or divers can get in the water to look at those targets.

"It is a much more technological search," Donoghue said Friday morning.

Helicopter crews returned Friday along with cadaver dogs and an aerial drone.

In addition, sheriff's personnel spoke with Rivera's son.

"The interview with her son was key," Donoghue said. "We received enough specific details from him to lead us to conclude that she disappeared in the water and did not come back."

That's why the search effort is now entirely in the water, he said. Authorities are not releasing additional details about their interview with the boy out of respect for the family, he said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkusSimo
Back