IN NAKOTA KELLY: Missing from Indianapolis, IN - 19 July 2020 - Age 10 *GUILTY PLEA*

1595364362255.png
'Don't expect me to come home.' Horrific details emerge in death of 10-year old; father arrested

Indianapolis police on Tuesday afternoon released horrific details in the death of a 10-year-old Wabash boy whose father has been arrested and charged with his murder.

Police have not yet recovered the remains of Nakota Kelly. Officers conducted a search for him on Sunday at a west-side apartment complex and in the woods near Eagle Creek.

His father, 37-year-old Anthony Dibiah, is in custody at the Macon County Jail in Missouri.

The tragedy unfolded over the weekend, according to a probable cause affidavit and social media posts from the child's mother, who said on Facebook Monday that Nakota was missing after "his dad ran with him."

But it was so much worse than that.

Search for Nakota Kelly begins with 911 calls

According to IMPD, officers received a 911 call around 11:45 a.m. Sunday. The caller said they had received a call from Dibiah, who said he had killed his son.

Subsequently, officers went to check on the welfare of the child in a unit at an apartment complex near West 10th Street and I-465 and found a "crime scene," IMPD said.

Neither Dibiah nor his son were at the apartment.

About 4 p.m. Sunday, Missouri State Highway Patrol officers found Dibiah in his white Jeep Patriot and detained him. IMPD detectives drove to Missouri Sunday night to speak to him.

Court records say Dibiah used a plastic bag to suffocate his his 10-year-old son, and then called a relative.

“I just killed my son!” Dibiah cried Saturday during a telephone call with a distant relative from Texas, according to a probable cause affidavit filed in Marion Superior Court.

“I just killed my son! I just killed my son!”

When the relative asked why, Dibiah began talking about ongoing custody issues.

Dibiah, court records say, called another friend on Sunday and asked to borrow a suitcase.

The friend said sure. The affidavit said Dibiah then told the friend he had "killed his son."

"Anthony said he used a bag to suffocate his son until he stopped breathing," Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Detective Jonathan Schultz wrote in a probable cause affidavit filed in Marion Superior Court. "Anthony told (the friend) he then took his son to the bathroom to make sure he was dead and he has now dumped the body."

MORE AT LINK

MEDIA - NAKOTA KELLY: Missing from Indianapolis, IN since 19 July 2020 - Age 10

Last edited:
‘Don’t expect me to come home’: Court docs say slain 10-year-old boy feared going to father’s home

An Indianapolis boy who police believe is dead feared going to his father’s house for the weekend, telling his mother that his father was angry with him and would kill him.

Investigators also said the boy’s father called at least two people and confessed to killing his son.

The startling revelations come from court documents filed this week accusing 37-year-old Anthony Dibiah of killing 10-year-old Nakota Kelly.

The case led to a large search Monday on the west side. Dibiah is charged with murder, although police are still looking for the boy’s remains.

According to the probable cause affidavit filed in the case, investigators found what appeared to be “blood spatter, blood smears and brain matter” in the apartment’s bathroom. There was also a small amount of blood in the apartment’s entrance.

Surveillance video obtained by police showed Dibiah leaving and returning to his apartment several times between 2:27 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. At 8:30 a.m. Dibiah was seen opening the hatchback and putting items inside. He also put a bag in the community dumpster, court documents said.

A detective also spoke to a DCS worker managing Nakota’s case.

The case worker said the boy’s mother reported a “concerning statement” her son had made on July 14. Nakota asked her if he was going to his father’s house that weekend; when she told him he was going to see his father, the boy said, “Oh, I’m dead. Don’t expect me to come home.”

When his mother asked him what he meant, Nakota said, “My dad is going to kill me,” and said his father was angry with him because Nakota had hung up on him during a phone call when he “did not want to speak to him.”

The case worker said the boy’s mother received a text message from Dibiah around 2 p.m. Sunday that said, “Sometimes I hear voices. My son is in Heaven,” according to court documents.

Docs: Son warned that father was going to kill him

Days before his death, a child warned his mother that his father was going to kill him. His father has been charged with his murder while investigators try to find his body.

Anthony Dibiah, 37, is charged with the murder of Nakota Kelly, his 10-year-old son.

Court documents indicate that Kelly was fearful to visit his father after being told he would be spending the weekend with him.

Officers are continuing to search for Kelly’s body. Investigators say Dibiah’s phone has been pinged around the 4500 block of W. Vermont Ave., near Eagle Creek.

Online court listings do not have a future appearance listed for Dibiah at this time.

The Marion County Prosecutor’s Office says the death penalty may be sought.

How sad. Too late now but it sounds like this man "father" should have already been long since in jail for other things and/or deported. Not a political statement, simply fact, identity theft and more, federal charges...

How is it that killing his son fixed anything for him?? But then I guess that is trying to apply logic to a type that does not think that way... I should know better by now...

RIP Nakota.

What is going on in this world lately?? All murder is beyond my understanding and completely horrific but there's a special place in "he double hockey sticks" for anyone who can hurt any child but specifically their own child!

It seems not a day goes by lately that I don't hear of one of these cases and it fills me with such anger.......how do you make yourself believe your child is better off dead than living with his mother full time or sharing custody ??

RIP sweet Nakota.

What is going on in this world lately?? All murder is beyond my understanding and completely horrific but there's a special place in "he double hockey sticks" for anyone who can hurt any child but specifically their own child!

It seems not a day goes by lately that I don't hear of one of these cases and it fills me with such anger.......how do you make yourself believe your child is better off dead than living with his mother full time or sharing custody ??

RIP sweet Nakota.
While so many, like this father, survive AFTER killing family... They can bring themselves to kill their OWN flesh and blood and child but then try to save their own rear and want to live I guess.... I will never understand that... Most people, just knowing their child is gone, even in an ACCIDENT, just want to die themselves! Of course, most would never kill their child. This man sounds just from the surface of the article, as if he was a case to begin with... Pretty sad that the boy even said he would end up dead if he had to see dad...? And he did... He is dead. Poor child.

I agree with you 💯.

His statements are just so heartbreaking. Mom, don't expect me to come home, dad's going to kill me. :( How horrible.

It looks like mom did report these statements to DCS, which was the smart thing to do. Likely, she thought her son was overreacting. How many of us messed up as a child and thought "Ohhh no my parents are going to kill me?" :sigh: Never ever was a reality though.

Father charged in slaying of 10-year-old Nakota Kelly: What we know

The father of a 10-year-old Wabash boy was arrested and faces charges in his son's death Tuesday, according to the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department.

While the remains of Nakota Kelly have not yet been found, his father Anthony Dibiah, 37, is currently in custody in Macon, Missouri.

The phone calls

On Saturday night, a distant relative of Dibiah called 911 saying Dibiah had just called and said he killed his son, according to a probable-cause affidavit.

When officers went to Dibiah’s apartment near West 10th Street and I-465 and knocked on the door, they received no answer, but found no reason to force entry, so they left.

Then, on Sunday morning, a different officer spoke with a friend of Dibiah who said Dibiah called them asking to borrow a suitcase. After agreeing, the affidavit states, the friend said Dibiah called back and said he killed his son.

Officers returned to the apartment and forced entry. Dibiah and his son were not there.

Instead, IMPD said, officers found a “crime scene.”

The crime scene

When officers entered Dibiah’s apartment, according to the affidavit, they found blood spatter and smears covering numerous surfaces of the bathroom. They also found blood in the entryway.

Surveillance video from Sunday morning showed Dibiah make three trips to load something into his Jeep and throw a bag into the complex’s trash bin.

The arrest

Around 4 p.m. Tuesday, Dibiah was detained by Missouri State Highway Patrol officers. Police searched his Jeep and found multiple areas of possible blood stains in the back of the vehicle.

That night, IMPD detectives drove to Macon County Jail, according to the affidavit, to speak with Dibiah who declined to comment.

Dibiah has been formally charged in Marion County with one count of murder.

The days before

On July 14, according to the affidavit, Nakota’s mother called the Department of Child Services about a concerning statement he had made.

When Nakota learned that he would be spending the weekend with Dibiah, Nakota responded, “Oh, I’m dead. Don’t expect me to come home.”

Nakota explained to his mother that Dibiah would still be upset with him for hanging up the phone because he did not want to talk with his father and stated “My dad is going to kill me,” according to the affidavit.

It is unclear if any action was taken after Nakota's mother made the report, as Noelle Russell, deputy director of communications, said DCS is prohibited from commenting on its involvement with a family.

The current status of the case

Police are still searching for Nakota’s body and are asking the public for assistance.

Dibiah has a bond reduction hearing slated for 10 a.m. Friday in Macon County. He is currently being held without bond.

Anyone with information is urged to call Crime Stoppers of Central Indiana at 317-262-8477.

1595545355572.png

Did mother's report about son's safety go unheeded? DCS, citing confidentiality, won't say

Nakota Kelly, the 10-year-old Indiana boy police say was killed over the weekend by his father, was the subject of a Department of Child Services case at the time of his death, according to court records.

Because of confidential laws governing child abuse and neglect cases, it is not known why the Wabash boy was involved with the state's child protection agency. But investigators say Nakota told his mother on July 14 that he feared his father was going to kill him if he was sent for a weekend visit — and his mother reported that to a caseworker.

A DCS spokeswoman said in an email to IndyStar that "confidentiality laws prohibit us from commenting" on the agency's involvement with children and families, including Nakota and his parents.

But Debbie and Phil Bogue of Greentown also confirmed there was an active DCS case involving Nakota. They said his mother, Hayley Kelly, had made numerous complaints to the child protection agency and the court about Dibiah's treatment of their son. The Bogues said they previously served as Kelly's foster parents, and viewed Nakota as their grandson.

They said there were many red flags about Dibiah's treatment of Nakota — from failing to properly feed the boy to ignoring him during visits to worse things they weren't able to speak about — that Kelly shared with the court and DCS workers.

"The court system always just didn't have enough information. 'There's not enough. We have to drop the case,'" Phil Bogue complained.

"The system failed Nakota. That's the bottom line," Phil Bugue added. "The system failed Nakota and it cost him his life."

1. Police Arrested Dibiah After Two Investigating 2 Tips From People Who Said He Called Them & Confessed to Killing His Son

According to the probable cause affidavit reviewed by Heavy, the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department got two tips by phone on July 18 and 19 by friends of Dibiah, both of whom said he had called them confessing to murdering his son, Nakota.

2. Police Found a Great Deal of Disturbing Evidence Inside Dibiah’s Apartment & Saw Him Making Multiple Trips Back & Forth in the Wee Hours of July 19

1595545654033.png

Reviewing surveillance footage from the apartment complex, police also found that Dibiah left around 2:30 a.m. on July 19, returning at 3:15. He left again at 4:20, returning 25 minutes later. He then left again, returning at 7:45. Police saw Dibiah open the Jeep’s hatchback and make three trips loading unidentified items into the back. He also was seen putting a bag of some sort into the complex’s community dumpster, according to the affidavit.

3. Police Say Nakota Told His Mother the Day Before He Was Likely Killed That She Wouldn’t See Him Again: ‘My Dad Is Going to Kill Me,’ He Said

After Dibiah was arrested, an Indianapolis detective learned that Nakota was the subject of an open Department of Child Services case. In speaking with the assigned caseworker, he learned some disturbing information: Nakota told his mother days before that his father would kill him.
4. Child Welfare Advocates & Relatives of Nakota Say, ‘The System Failed’ Him, Because He Was the Subject of a Child Services Case When He Was Killed

Per the police affidavit, the state’s Department of Child Protective Services had an open case on Nakota, and documented the disturbing statements his mother said he made about Dibiah.

5. Nakota’s Body Still Has Not Been Found & Dibiah Is Still at the Macon County Jail

On July 20, police met with Dibiah and his court-appointed attorney at the Macon County Jail, but he refused to say anything, according to the affidavit.

“Detectives have information and evidence to believe 10-year-old Nakota Kelly is deceased,” police said. “They continue to search for the remains … We are asking the community for assistance in this case.”

On July 20, officers and detectives investigated a wooded area where Dibiah’s cellphone pinged the day before, searching for Nakota’s body, according to the affidavit, but apparently nothing was found.

Definitely!
I agree as well, and this poor child seemed to know. It is a really tough area though. There are many parents who want the other parent out of the child's life entirely (look at custody cases hot and heavy all over the place) and will do anything almost to achieve that so they have to watch for the possibility that one parent is coaching the child or influencing the child's opinion of the opposite parent, it is pretty common.

Honestly, what I don't understand is why a parent like this, Nakota's father, even bothered to see his child if he cared so little and/or had such anger towards him.

I suspect there is much to this one we may never know as the records are private. What we do know is the "father" is where he belongs and he apparently senselessly murdered his own child.

Imo.

I agree as well, and this poor child seemed to know. It is a really tough area though. There are many parents who want the other parent out of the child's life entirely (look at custody cases hot and heavy all over the place) and will do anything almost to achieve that so they have to watch for the possibility that one parent is coaching the child or influencing the child's opinion of the opposite parent, it is pretty common.

Honestly, what I don't understand is why a parent like this, Nakota's father, even bothered to see his child if he cared so little and/or had such anger towards him.

I suspect there is much to this one we may never know as the records are private. What we do know is the "father" is where he belongs and he apparently senselessly murdered his own child.

Imo.
it's all about control

Father to be brought to Indianapolis to face murder charge in son's death

A judge in Missouri on Friday ordered Anthony Dibiah to be extradited to Indiana, where he will face a charge of murder in the death of his 10-year-old son.

Dibiah, 37, has been held in a jail in Macon, Missouri, since Missouri State Highway Patrol officers arrested him on July 19.

Indiana authorities must pick up Dibiah before Aug. 3, online records show. If they don't, the judge ordered him to be released.

Father to be brought to Indianapolis to face murder charge in son's death

A judge in Missouri on Friday ordered Anthony Dibiah to be extradited to Indiana, where he will face a charge of murder in the death of his 10-year-old son.

Dibiah, 37, has been held in a jail in Macon, Missouri, since Missouri State Highway Patrol officers arrested him on July 19.

Indiana authorities must pick up Dibiah before Aug. 3, online records show. If they don't, the judge ordered him to be released.

I need to train myself not to pick out one sentence sometimes. That last one bothers me... If they don't pick him up he would be released per the judge's orders?? It is just what my brain does on reading things sometimes...

I need to train myself not to pick out one sentence sometimes. That last one bothers me... If they don't pick him up he would be released per the judge's orders?? It is just what my brain does on reading things sometimes...

Well, they don't really have any reason to hold him. He was "wanted" out of Indiana, with no charges or warrants from Missouri. Missouri has no reason to hold him or charge him, and they're not gonna have him taking up their space for someone else. This is common in the United States.

• An agent of the executive of the state demanding extradition must appear to receive the prisoner, which must occur within 30 days from time of arrest, or the prisoner may be released. Some states allow longer waiting periods, of up to 90 days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back