MT MILDRED OLD CROW: Missing from Crow Reservation, MT - March 2019 - Age 6 *Found Deceased*

1606965261395.png
1606357207205.png 1606357282915.png

BIA, FBI Seeking Missing Child Mildred Old Crow​

The Bureau of Indian Affairs and the Federal Bureau of Investigation are asking for the public’s help locating Mildred Alexis Old Crow, age 8, of the Crow Indian Reservation.

The search for Mildred began on November 19, 2020, when Mildred’s non-custodial relatives notified BIA Law Enforcement at Crow Agency that they had not seen the child since July of 2018.

Subsequent investigation revealed that Mildred was last seen in March of 2019 on the Crow Indian Reservation, in the care of her Crow Tribal Court-appointed guardian.

Mildred has brown hair, brown eyes and is small in stature for her age.

MEDIA - MILDRED OLD CROW: Missing from Crow Reservation, MT since March 2019 - Age 8

Last edited:
The pics of her look well nourished
When were those from though? Is it from the guardians or the people who reported her missing and they are old pictures? I guess I mean we know so little and I doubt the missing people provided them. I also have to wonder did this child attend school and no one noticed her missing? I note the poster says "possible physical injury". I don't know that I have ever seen that before on a missing poster. It makes me think they may have found evidence of something maybe in the home...?

That's true and could be the reason. I would think they would add a few pounds and inches over the last time seen when it has been so long but I guess that would only be a guess. Sad in this case it was not known when she went missing, doesn't help anything at all. I wonder at the age in the photo as well.
It also could be in exactly how the question was worded when the info was given.

Two women investigated for disappearance of missing girl from Crow Reservation​

Almost two years after she was last seen, two women have made court appearances in connection to the disappearance of 8-year-old Mildred Old Crow.

Veronica Tierza Dust and Roseen Lincoln Old Crow, both 34, appeared in Big Horn County District Court on Tuesday for arraignment. Each faces a misdemeanor charge of endangering the welfare of a child.

Their arrests stem from the disappearance of Mildred Old Crow who was last seen in March of 2019. A Missing Endangered Person Advisory was issued for her on Nov. 25, 2020.

Dust and Lincoln Old Crow were arrested as fugitives from justice in Billings on Dec. 23.

The Crow Tribe issued warrants for their arrest on December 16 that state they “failed to produce the child nor was any proof of life provided.”

The relationship between the two women and the child is unclear, but the warrant states they were granted informal custodianship by the tribal court on or about March 14, 2017.

During their appearances Tuesday, Dust and Lincoln Old Crow did not waive extradition back to Crow Tribal Court and their bond was set at $1,000 with conditions of release.

Dust was being held at the Yellowstone County Jail and Lincoln Old Crow was detained in the Big Horn County jail. Both posted bond on Wednesday and must report to the Crow Tribal Court for arraignment within three days.

Any future arrests or additional charges depend on decisions made by the tribal court and investigation by the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

Two women investigated for disappearance of missing girl from Crow Reservation​

Almost two years after she was last seen, two women have made court appearances in connection to the disappearance of 8-year-old Mildred Old Crow.

Veronica Tierza Dust and Roseen Lincoln Old Crow, both 34, appeared in Big Horn County District Court on Tuesday for arraignment. Each faces a misdemeanor charge of endangering the welfare of a child.

Their arrests stem from the disappearance of Mildred Old Crow who was last seen in March of 2019. A Missing Endangered Person Advisory was issued for her on Nov. 25, 2020.

Dust and Lincoln Old Crow were arrested as fugitives from justice in Billings on Dec. 23.

The Crow Tribe issued warrants for their arrest on December 16 that state they “failed to produce the child nor was any proof of life provided.”

The relationship between the two women and the child is unclear, but the warrant states they were granted informal custodianship by the tribal court on or about March 14, 2017.

During their appearances Tuesday, Dust and Lincoln Old Crow did not waive extradition back to Crow Tribal Court and their bond was set at $1,000 with conditions of release.

Dust was being held at the Yellowstone County Jail and Lincoln Old Crow was detained in the Big Horn County jail. Both posted bond on Wednesday and must report to the Crow Tribal Court for arraignment within three days.

Any future arrests or additional charges depend on decisions made by the tribal court and investigation by the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
Light charge, light bond, they find them but no child? "Informal" custodianship?

"Informal" custodianship?
I did a bit of searching on this. I found "informal custodianship" which seems to be the same thing.

"[...] when you need when you give short-term care of your child to another adult. [...] establishes a temporary “informal guardianship,” which is different from a formal, court-approved guardianship.

So it basically sounds like these people were supposed to be Mildred's guardians, take care of her, have her in their care, etc. They probably didn't have formal, legal custody of her (because of the "informal" wording), but they were taking care of her. Likely her actual, legal guardians were unable to care for her for whatever reason, so she was placed with these two.

I did a bit of searching on this. I found "informal custodianship" which seems to be the same thing.

"[...] when you need when you give short-term care of your child to another adult. [...] establishes a temporary “informal guardianship,” which is different from a formal, court-approved guardianship.

So it basically sounds like these people were supposed to be Mildred's guardians, take care of her, have her in their care, etc. They probably didn't have formal, legal custody of her (because of the "informal" wording), but they were taking care of her. Likely her actual, legal guardians were unable to care for her for whatever reason, so she was placed with these two.
So this for instance could be just Mildred's mother for instance leaving her with a grandmother or aunt or sister, etc... Nothing relating to agencies or courts at all necessarily?

So this for instance could be just Mildred's mother for instance leaving her with a grandmother or aunt or sister, etc... Nothing relating to agencies or courts at all necessarily?
Yes. One of the POIs has the same last name, so it likely is something exactly like that. I don't want to speculate too much at this time, because it could literally be for hundreds of reasons. And it doesn't have to be anything nefarious like child abuse. It could be something as simple as them having to travel extensively for work. But for some reason or another, someone was "temporarily" taking care of Mildred in the place of her actual legal guardian.

or not related at all, but in this case probably so. We had informal custody of one of my kids friends when her mom went in for long term medical treatment. We had nothing on paper, but she was my responsibility for quite some time.

Yes. One of the POIs has the same last name, so it likely is something exactly like that. I don't want to speculate too much at this time, because it could literally be for hundreds of reasons. And it doesn't have to be anything nefarious like child abuse. It could be something as simple as them having to travel extensively for work. But for some reason or another, someone was "temporarily" taking care of Mildred in the place of her actual legal guardian.
I did not even pick up on the same name thing.

I hope it's nothing nefarious either but having to order them to produce her is not a good sign. Let's hope they do so.

The thought crossed my mind that perhaps the mother or whoever left the child with them now wants her back and they have her hidden? Just trying to come up with a scenario where she might be alive and okay.

Oh. Yeah. I meant nothing nefarious as to why her actual legal guardian didn't have her.
The two that did have her, there's definitely something going on there.
I took it entirely the other way and thought you were being very nice and giving the benefit of the doubt to the caretakers. Thanks for clarifying.

Honestly, I hope she is okay but I seriously doubt it.

It's probably my computer but I can only pull up a blank page. Do I take it they found this poor child? Darn it!
*Turn off adblocker.

The body of an eight-year-old girl missing for more than a year has been found on the Crow Indian Reservation.

The Big Horn County Coroner has not officially released the identity of the person found on Wednesday near Garryowen.

Crow Chairman Frank White Clay wrote in a statement, identifying Mildred as the person discovered Wednesday, that he hoped she receives justice.

"Our hearts ache for the family and I lift them up in prayer. The entire community felt the loss when Mildred went missing and we feel it again today. My hope is that we can find closure, grieve together, and work to ensure that children are protected and supported on the Crow reservation and beyond. We want justice for this child and for all of the victims of the epidemic of people missing from reservations across the country," White Clay wrote.

Details surrounding Mildred's recovery are unclear. Calls to the Big Horn County Sheriff's Office were not immediately returned Thursday.

A spokesperson with the FBI declined to comment and would not say if the agency was investigating the death.

The Bureau of Indian Affairs did not respond to an email or phone call requesting additional information on Mildred's death or circumstances surrounding her discovery.

Relatives of Mildred informed the BIA at Crow Agency in mid-November that they had not seen her since July 2018, the FBI said last year.

The FBI could not comment on where exactly the girl was staying with her guardian when she went missing in 2019.

Two women were arrested in December in Billings in connection with the missing girl.

Veronica Tierza Dust, 34, and Roseen Lincoln Old Crow, 34, were charged in January in Crow Tribal Court with a misdemeanor charge of endangering the welfare of a child, which holds a maximum sentence of 6 months in jail and a $2,500 fine.

Both were granted informal custodianship over Mildred in March 2017, according to the charges filed in January.

On Dec. 6, 2020 a formal petition was filed with the Tribal Court requesting a hearing because the two guardians had “breached their fiduciary duty to the child.”

On Feb. 12, the two were both charged with an additional count of custodial interference and remain in custody on a $5,000 bond, said Crow Tribal prosecutor David Sibley. The two are scheduled to appear in court in April.

It is unclear what the relationship is between Mildred and the two women, but Mildred had stayed at their residence, according to court docs.

Mildred was one of 18 Indigenous people who have been missing in Montana for more than a year, according to data from the Montana Department of Justice.

In Montana, Native Americans go missing at a rate disproportionately higher than non-Natives.

Despite making up less than 7% of the population, Indigenous people consistently account for more than a quarter of the state's missing persons cases.

A little more than half of the 53 missing Indigenous people were age 21 or younger and of that nine are believed to be living with a non-custodial relative or went missing after custodial interference, according to the DOJ.

*Turn off adblocker.

The body of an eight-year-old girl missing for more than a year has been found on the Crow Indian Reservation.

The Big Horn County Coroner has not officially released the identity of the person found on Wednesday near Garryowen.

Crow Chairman Frank White Clay wrote in a statement, identifying Mildred as the person discovered Wednesday, that he hoped she receives justice.

"Our hearts ache for the family and I lift them up in prayer. The entire community felt the loss when Mildred went missing and we feel it again today. My hope is that we can find closure, grieve together, and work to ensure that children are protected and supported on the Crow reservation and beyond. We want justice for this child and for all of the victims of the epidemic of people missing from reservations across the country," White Clay wrote.

Details surrounding Mildred's recovery are unclear. Calls to the Big Horn County Sheriff's Office were not immediately returned Thursday.

A spokesperson with the FBI declined to comment and would not say if the agency was investigating the death.

The Bureau of Indian Affairs did not respond to an email or phone call requesting additional information on Mildred's death or circumstances surrounding her discovery.

Relatives of Mildred informed the BIA at Crow Agency in mid-November that they had not seen her since July 2018, the FBI said last year.

The FBI could not comment on where exactly the girl was staying with her guardian when she went missing in 2019.

Two women were arrested in December in Billings in connection with the missing girl.

Veronica Tierza Dust, 34, and Roseen Lincoln Old Crow, 34, were charged in January in Crow Tribal Court with a misdemeanor charge of endangering the welfare of a child, which holds a maximum sentence of 6 months in jail and a $2,500 fine.

Both were granted informal custodianship over Mildred in March 2017, according to the charges filed in January.

On Dec. 6, 2020 a formal petition was filed with the Tribal Court requesting a hearing because the two guardians had “breached their fiduciary duty to the child.”

On Feb. 12, the two were both charged with an additional count of custodial interference and remain in custody on a $5,000 bond, said Crow Tribal prosecutor David Sibley. The two are scheduled to appear in court in April.

It is unclear what the relationship is between Mildred and the two women, but Mildred had stayed at their residence, according to court docs.

Mildred was one of 18 Indigenous people who have been missing in Montana for more than a year, according to data from the Montana Department of Justice.

In Montana, Native Americans go missing at a rate disproportionately higher than non-Natives.

Despite making up less than 7% of the population, Indigenous people consistently account for more than a quarter of the state's missing persons cases.

A little more than half of the 53 missing Indigenous people were age 21 or younger and of that nine are believed to be living with a non-custodial relative or went missing after custodial interference, according to the DOJ.
I don't think it's an adblocker as I can see all other articles w/o problem.

This is so sad, I did not hold out much hope but I must have had some because hearing this bites.

There still seems to be some confusing info on how long she has been missing. They say a year but then mention not seen since 2018, etc.

RIP sweet child.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back