Aruba MAX DEVRIES: Lost at sea in Aruba - 12 May 2004 - Age 14

zd7Acyt.jpg

Boy, 14, From Michigan Vanishes Off Coast Of Aruba

ORANJESTAD, Aruba -- Search teams are looking for a Michigan boy who disappeared when his rented watercraft stalled offshore, police said Friday. Max de Vries, 14, disappeared Wednesday afternoon. A family friend was with the boy and tried to help but his watercraft also stalled, police said. The pair, both wearing life jackets, tried to swim ashore but were separated.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/200 ... watercraft

Last edited:

Akoya

http://www.maxtothemillions.com/

UPDATE - April 1st 2009

I want to send a big heart felt thank you for all you have done. Thank you for being part of Max to the Millions. It is because of you and your kind, generous heart that we were able to help so many. Know that over the years your donations mattered and your help was appreciated. Without you and your help, so many great things would be left undone. It truly is magical when we reach outside ourselves to help others.

Max would have been 19 years old on April 18th, and May 12th will mark the 5th year being without him. I could never write or express what his loss has meant. I can only hope by extending to others it shows in some small way that Max was here and he was loved by me and so many others.
With sincere warmth and gratitude, thank you for sharing.

An update on Max… The FBI called in October 2008 and informed me they closed their investigation on Max. Never knowing what happened in the last moments of Max’s life will be forever hard. I can truly say our Government as well as the Aruban government did not do enough to find out what happened to my son. It is so sad when a child is lost, killed, missing, or taken. But when it happens in another country you have no help or paper work to fill out. Lose a piece of luggage though, and the paper work and calls never end.

Everybody knows of Natalee Holloway, few know of Max DeVries. Max was lost almost one year before Natalee went missing. With all the money and resources Natalee's family had they still have no answers. It is doubtful anything new will turn up about Max or Natalee.

I will always wonder if Max’s dad would have been by my side through all of this if there would have been more done to help this little boy and maybe a different outcome; his father died 18 months before Max. I will always feel cheated and abandoned by our government and those who had the power to do more. I am thankful for the friends who stayed by my side in my darkest days; the angels by my side.

It has been almost five years since the disappearance of Max. Time moves forward and waits for no one even if you’re lost in grief. The best thing you can do is appear that you’re moving forward and hope you doing something right when everything seems so wrong.

This is the time of year I normally do our annual fundraiser, Max To The Millions. Times are hard and seem to be especially hard in Michigan and therefore I am putting this year’s event on hold.

Max To The Millions has made a difference and has helped so many. The room created at Mott's Children Hospital is still there for all Moms of premature babies to use. The Tourette's Syndrome support group is still active and growing in strength. We will never know how many people we truly helped with our gifts of love given to those in the community. We give with an open heart in hopes that only good things happen.

To those who helped and were part of Max To The Millions, we thank you. For those who sent thoughts and prayers our way, we thank you. For those who were there for us, we thank you and those who were not we understand.

We hope you make wonderful memories with those you love to treasure for a lifetime.

With Angles Watching Over Us And Friends By Our Side We Are All Blessed.

Yvonne and Dominique DeVries.

Max to the Millions was created in hopes that Max's sister will always remember her father and brother. We want to give and to remember while someone else receives a gift of love. The money raised had been gifted to premature babies thru C.S. Mott's Children's Hospital each year at Max's birthday, April 18th.

Akoya

http://www.maxtothemillions.com/page2.html

Max to the Millions Story

"Max to the Millions" has been created in hopes that Dominique (Max's sister, age 12) will remember her father and brother. Dominique's Dad died of a heart attack two days before her parent's 13th wedding anniversary. Max died 18 months after his father died. He died in Aruba. We went there to celebrate our strength. The school year was ending and we made it!
Max went out on a jet ski and was lost at sea. Our family found so much comfort and laughter by the water. Now there is much sadness. Max died at sea on May 12, 2004. He was 14 years old.
Death is so lonely and sad for those left behind. It's private and public at the same time. People try to be there, but most stay away. They want to help out but don't know how. It's hard and difficult not only for us, but for all who knew George and Max.
Maybe I'm trying to hold on to a memory. Maybe I'm trying to parent my dead child just a little longer. Maybe I'm lost and trying to find my way without drowning myself. The true reason I'm doing this is to help Dominique. It gives not only Dominique and myself a chance to heal, it also gives friends and family a chance to do the same. We want to give and to remember while someone else receives a gift of love. The money raised will be gifted to premature babies. We will gift in the form of money to someone new each year at Max's birthday. Dominique was born a premature baby. She would like to help someone just like herself.
When George died it was so very hard for friends, co-workers and family to talk about him. It was difficult for people to know how to reach out to us. Most would look at us and see our outward smile, not our broken hearts. That's all we would allow others to see. Many fumble and say things like "you look like you're doing so well". Don't judge a book by its cover. I feel we deserve an acting award.
Death is sad, lonely, private and so painful. It's something we will face sooner or later. Then, only then, will you have a hint of understanding. You can't run or hide, that's why most are so afraid. They know that they will someday lose someone they love and hold dear.
I wish for you and for us, self-strength and self-confidence to push forward to love and to live the life we were gifted. Remember and appreciate all that you have. Enjoy your life and those around you. That will truly be your treasure to hold and guide you until you meet again.
That's why in George's and Max's memory I do this. I need Dominique to know that it's important for her to remember and talk of her father and brother in a warm and loving way when others stop talking and remembering. That's what our family was all about - giving to others while loving and enjoying each other!

With angels watching over us and friends by our side, we are blessed.

Akoya

http://arubanboycott.blogspot.com/2006/ ... aruba.html

JANUARY 20, 2006

ANOTHER MISSING AMERICAN IN ARUBA

Michigan Teen Missing in Aruba--Another Cold Case

For two months 7 Action News has been investigating the disappearance of boy from Brighton. Now the FBI is getting involved to find out what happened to a young teen on the island of Aruba.

Police in Aruba say Max Devrees’ disappearance was just an accident. But Action News has learned the FBI is now stepping in to investigate this case because it might be much more than just an innocent mystery in Aruba. The inviting ocean and sandy beaches of Aruba have proven dangerous for an American more than once recently.

Yvonne Devries took 14-year-old Max and his younger sister to Aruba in may of 2004. She wanted them to spend some healing family time together following the death of her husband. "I want to find out if this was truly an accident. Was my son set up to be taken in Aruba? Was I followed and stalked and my son purposely targeted? We went there as basically a memorial service, privately for the family, in honor of their dad," said Yvonne.

At their hotel the Devrees family ended up hanging out with another hotel guest. He was a fellow American, 56-year-old David Stacey Sr. Stacey offered to pay for Max to rent a wave runner so they could go out on the water together. "Max was jumping up and down, really excited, let me go, let me go. And I did," said Yvonne.

That was the last time she would see her son. "They didn’t come back in 45 minutes. They didn’t come back in an hour. Pretty much immediately, I had that sinking feeling something was wrong," explained Yvonne. The police launched a massive ocean search.

After several hours they rescued Stacey about four miles off the coast, but Max was never found. According to Aruba police reports obtained by Action News, Stacey told police Max’s wave runner stopped working. He said he tried to tow Max’s watercraft, but that stranded both machines.

Back on land Stacey told police Max somehow slipped away. But Stacey’s story seems to change, depending on who he spoke to. In one police interview, Stacey said "Max started swimming towards shore." But Yvonne said he told her something entirely different, "He said, 'I heard a thump and Max was floating away.' I said, 'was he hurt?' 'Well, I don't know, that was our said agreement between the two of us, to save our energy.' 'What do you mean an agreement?' If it was your son, floating away, you would yell out to him, are you okay?"

In his first interview with police, Stacey told detectives he didn’t have an agreement with Max. Stacey also told police, "I do not remember if I called [out to] Max. I don’t think I did." But in another statement 2 days later, Stacey said, "I called out to [Max], but he did not answer."

Corey Williams is a Michigan detective who is helping Yvonne learn the truth about what happened to Max. He said the statements to the police don’t add up, "The minute I started reading, I started seeing what I would describe as glaring inconsistencies."

Williams is also concerned about how quickly the Aruban police closed out the case without digging further into Stacey’s background. "It appears to me that there could possibly be foul play involved. It definitely appears to me that there needs to be more investigation done," said Williams.

In the Aruban police reports, David Stacey Sr. told detectives that he did not kill or do anything to hurt Max. As for the Aruba police, they have not returned our phone calls to tell us why they closed their case so quickly. Yvonne wants someone to find out how and why her son vanished, "Whatever you hold dear to you, just make sure you really realize what you do have, make sure you treasure it everyday, because when you wake up, you don’t know if that’s going to be your last day with them."

Akoya

Family wonders what happened to missing boy

By VALERIE WEST
Of The Oakland Press

A black scrapbook with a dried rose encased inside the cover holds photos, cards and memories of Max DeVries, a 14-year-old boy who was lost at sea in Aruba on May 12, 2004, one year before Natalee Holloway went missing. Nearly four years later, his mother, Yvonne DeVries of Brighton, still wonders what really happened to her son. "In the beginning, you want to believe it's an acci- dent," Yvonne said. "But then you think the worst."
Yvonne's husband died of a heart attack 18 months before Max's death. Still feeling the loss of her husband, the family - Yvonne, Max, daughter Dominique and Yvonne's sister-in-law - went to Aruba for a vacation. While at the hotel, they were befriended by a man and his adopted adult son.

On the day of Max's death, the father had invited Max to go out on personal watercraft with him. Yvonne, who said she was hesitant at first, gave in to Max's pleading.

The ride was supposed to last only 45 minutes, but when the two didn't show up after an hour, Yvonne knew something was wrong.

A few hours later, a rescue boat found the man floating without the watercraft four miles from shore, but not Max.

A three-day search ensued - with help from the Aruban Coast Guard, helicopters and a marine plane - but was eventually called off when nothing was found, according to police reports.

Both Yvonne and the man were questioned by the Dutch police in Aruba, but the man was never considered a suspect, according to transcribed reports.

The man told police that the two went for a ride on the personal watercraft and stopped at a sandbar. Max turned off his machine and dived into the water. He could not get the machine to start again. They made several attempts to tow the watercraft, but to no avail. There were, however, inconsistencies in the man's statements. On May 12, he stated that the two had agreed to float while holding onto their own craft with rope, and that Max let go and floated away. In a May 15 report, he said Max was sitting on the watercraft and, when he looked up, Max had jumped off and was swimming to shore.

Yvonne requested a polygraph and offered to pay, but the police did not find it necessary, she said.

Looking back, Yvonne believes they were targeted by the men, who she said had told her earlier in the week, "ÔWe were looking out of our bedroom window and we saw you playing with your kid and thought we had to meet you at the waterslide.'

"That's where it started. They stalked us out there," Yvonne said, adding that the police looked for the man's son, who did not show up until 10 minutes before he was brought to shore.

"At first you get these red flags, and these signals and instincts everyone talks about," she said. "And I ignored them."

Yvonne recalled that the men told her different stories of why they were in Aruba. Originally they said that the son's mother had died a year ago, but during a pool game, the son said his mother died when he was a baby.

"It was like they were trying to mirror our tragedy, so that I would believe and feel sorry for them and catch me off guard," she said, adding that they succeeded.

Yvonne was also disturbed that the man said he did not try to talk to Max as he floated out of sight, saying that they had made an agreement not to speak.

"When I saw Max for the last time, he was floating very calmly, moved now and then, but did not try to swim. We did not have any eye contact and we had not said anything to each other," he said in his statement.

It wasn't until 2005 that Yvonne found someone interested in her case.

Believing that the police in Aruba had not investigated thoroughly, she spoke with Lt. Cory Williams of the Livonia Police Department, who looked over the reports.

He believes the evidence suggests there is more to the story, he said.

"The first time I saw it, some of the things jumped out to me that didn't make sense," Williams said. "Based on what I found, they weren't being truthful or giving the full story."

Williams looked up information on the men, which he declined to comment on, but said if the police in Aruba had looked into their backgrounds, it would have prompted further investigation, he said.

Williams took the file to the FBI, which would not comment on the record. The case is still open, and Yvonne continues to hope that she will find an answer to her son's disappearance.

Through everything, Yvonne said traveling out of the country should still be a fun experience, but that travelers should not be naive and think they are as safe as they are in their own back yards.

"You just have to be always aware of your surroundings and who you're with. It's OK to be afraid. It's OK not to be friendly, not to be outgoing," she said. "And you know, you get lost, you want to have fun, and that's where we were. You want to not always have your guard up, and I should've, I should've."

Yvonne has taken her grief and made a positive contribution to the lives of families in need. She started fundraising in her husband's and son's memory, Max to the Millions. Each year, she plans at least one event and to give the proceeds to a family in need. The first year, the event aided a family who had two prematurely born boys. On March 15, a Sweet Sixteen Goes Mardi Gras event is planned at the Rock Financial Showplace in Novi. Dancing, snacks and a silent auction will be featured at 7 p.m.

Contact staff writer Valerie West at (248) 745-4633 or valerie.west@oakpress.com.

Akoya

Farewell at sea for Max de Vries

ORANJESTAD – The family of Max de Vries, the 14 year old who went missing at sea last Wednesday afternoon, will leave the island today. Police Commissioner Jan van der Straten confirmed that both the family and David Stacey, the man involved in the resent odyssey, have been given green light to leave the island as of yesterday.

Stacey, the man who was with de Vries when their fun ride turned sour, told Aruba Today just last Friday, that he was asked by local authorities to remain on the island during the course of the investigation. Stacey was to leave Aruba last week, but extended his stay until further notice.

The family of the young boy Max de Vries, held a memorial ceremony yesterday throwing flowers into the sea. Police confirmed that Stacey was never a suspect in the case, ‘He was never, and neither were the family members” police Commissioner Jan van der Straten told Aruba Today yesterday. This terrible ordeal, will be recorded in the police records, as “missing boy at sea”, the police commissioner said. Minister of Tourism Edison Briesen remarked to Aruba Today that stricter controls are currently in place on Watersports Companies. These guidelines will enforce greater safety procedures to help prevent any possible tragedies in the future. “This was a isolated incident on Aruba and we will continue to increase our safety procedures to give our visitors the safety and security needed to enjoy our island,” remarked Minister Briesen.

The search for young de Vries was the island’s most extensive ocean search operation ever. Hundreds of volunteers and staff, including planes, helicopters and boats of Search and Rescue, the Coast Guard, Warda Nos Costa, the Royal Dutch Marines, the Aruba Ports Authority, Valero, Sunshine Watersports, Rent-a-Boat, and the American FOL in Curacao spent 72 hours day and night searching for the boy.

De Vries, a 14 year old visitor, staying at La Cabana All Suite Beach Resort, never returned from what was supposed to be a fun trip on board a waverunner departing from Eagle Beach in front of the resort. His mom, Yvonne de Vries, sister Dominique, Aunt Pat, family friend Bob, also family acquaintances Ross & David Stacey were on the beach at sunset yesterday for a memorial ceremony where many concerned Arubans joined the family in prayer.

Close family members went out in a speed boat to spread flowers on the water and launched a bottle containing a personal prayer: “Max, when I wished upon the stars for you, you came to me; you were all I ever could have wanted and more. Of all the moms in the world, I was truly the lucky one, because God gave you to me to love. Your time on earth was too short. I love you baby, and I miss you so much. May god bless you and keep you, I pray that you and Daddy will continue watching over Dominique and I. I’ll love you forever and always my baby you’ll be, Mom.”

Also present, tug boat Captain Alex Werleman who stayed awake for 72 hours of the search, Efrem Boekhoudt of the Aruba Port Authority, La Cabana Resort General Manager Lou Roelofsen, who spared no resources including housekeepers, a local pastor and members of La Cabana’s security department.

May Max rest in peace. Our sincere condolences to Max’s family and friends from our staff and on behalf of the readers of Aruba Today.

Akoya

David Stacey Sr was found in possession of both Jet Skis roughly six miles out and off shore and six miles down from La Cabana. This would be off the southern coast of Aruba in the area of Savenata. The Jet Skis were not tied in the proper fashion

http://www.maxtothemillions.com/

BXSZUFa.jpg

Akoya

David Stacey, Sr took Max six miles away from LaCabana when they only were allotted a 45 minute time frame. Max was basically an inexperienced jet skier. They were six miles from La Cabana and six miles into the ocean. This was completely irresponsible. Sr took Max to an area of the coast off of Oranjestadt and the airport. This is a busy harbor and marina area. It's not a location that would be desirable for a young jet skier. Because of a higher volume of vessel traffic in that area, it might have been easier for a yacht with kidnappers to blend in.

Akoya

Max had already done the majority of the water activities when David Stacey Jr asked Max to go Jet Skiing. Yvonne said no. He had already gone and she didn't want to pay. DS Jr said he would pay. Yvonne reluctantly agreed. When Max returned from the Jet Skiing he told his mom that they had broken the rules of the Jet Ski company and had gone beyond a sand bar. Yvonne was disappointed that Max had broken the rules but glad he had told her the truth. Max always told the truth according to Yvonne and she was glad to know he had that character.

A few days later (could be even the following day) David Stacey SR. asked Max to once again to go Jet Skiing. Max said he could not. He had already been twice and he said no way would his mother allow it after he had broken the rules and she would never pay for it.

David Stacey Sr said he would ask Yvonne and he would pay for it. Yvonne was approached by David Stacey Sr. and she reluctantly agreed to keep from disappointing Max. She did not want Max to go again, but did agree.

www.maxtothemillions.com/

Akoya

05/12/2004 – Max DeVries, 14, was traveling with his mother and younger sister. His father was recently deceased. Reportedly Max drowned, but his body was never recovered. David Stacey Sr. (56, U.S.) is the older man Max went windsurfing with. Max’s mother was not satisfied with the investigation and she was suspicious of Stacey. She started a foundation in Max’s memory to benefit a hospital in their hometown. Meanwhile, some on Aruba claim it was an insurance scam, and/or that the foundation was a fraud, and that Max & his family are living well somewhere in S. America.

Akoya

PRO-JUSTITIA
ARUBA POLICE FORCE
Department: Surveillance Section
Sub-department: District 2
Section: Beach Police Station
Update no.: 204017011-13
Adm. No.
Witness:
OFFICIAL REPORT
We, Aster Regina MARQUEZ, police sergeant first class with the Aruba
Police Force and assigned to the Beach Police Station and Mike Alexander
GOELOE, police officer with the Aruba Police Force and assigned to the Beach
Police Station and Paul Brian SEUTE, police officer with the Aruba Police Force
and assigned to the Beach Police Station, declare the following.
On May 15, 2004, at approximately 14: 17 hours, we, MARQUEZ,
GOELOE and SEUTE interrogated the witness named:

--------------David Russel STACEY JR, ---------------------------
born in the United States of America on October 27, 1967, mechanic, residing at
1621 Ten Oaks Way Knowville TN 37914 and temporarily staying at La Cabana
in room 3578F in Aruba.
His declaration made in English was translated into Dutch and put down in
writing byrne, MARQUEZ and reads as follows.
"On Tuesday Max and I rented two wave-runners on the beach along the
front of Amsterdam Manor Resort. Both wave-runners were yellow. I don't
remember the numbers on the wave-runners. If I am not mistaken, one was
numbered 5. We took to sea together and went for the waves. The water was
clear and we could see the bottom ofthe sea well. We stopped to rest a while. We
went as far as we had gone para-sailing yesterday. It was as if you could touch
the bottom of the sea. I took off my life jacket and dived, touched the bottom of
the sea and swam back to the wave runner. I saw a man coming in our direction
on another wave-runner. This man was not wearing a life jacket. He did not say
anything to us and went away. I sat on my wave-runner and put on my life jacket
again. Max had not gone into the sea and had not taken off his life jacket either. I
did not have any watch on me, but I think that the trip lasted 40 minutes. Each
time I stepped on the gas, my machine was OK, but if I let go it would not
function that wen. This was the first time that I was on a wave-runner. I rather
liked it . I had several boats where i grew up. I am a good swimmer. I grew up in
California, near the sea. According to me, Max was a good swimmer. I saw him
swirr\rning in the swimming:pool. Max told me that they have a swimming-pool
at home. Max swims better than I do, he is much faster. When Max and I were at
sea, we did not talk much to each other. The view was difficult, because the
water was beating our eyes. The man who came in our direction when I was
diving did not say anything to us and did not tell us either that we had to return to
the shore. From where we were, I could see the beach.
On Saturday, I met Yvonne at the reception desk, when I went to fetch some pool
balls there. I was waiting there when Yvonne came up to me and asked me
whether there was a pool table here. I told her that there was a pool table on the
second floor. Yvonne told me that she would be going there with her son. My
father was waiting for me upstairs at the pool table to play with me. I saw neither
universal Traraslations
\
Max nor the rest of the family. I don't know Yvonne. I met her here in Aruba. I
stick to my first declaration. I don't think that my father knew Yvonne, because I
introduced Yvonne to my father Sunday evening. The relationship between my
father and me is good. I have never been married. My father is a good father to
me. I am going with two girlfriends. I have two incomes. I am a mechanic by
profession and I repair motorcycles beside my work. In the evening hours I go to
school. My father is a good swimmer. My father invited me to go on vacation
together with him. This is the first time that I am on vacation outside the United
Stats. My father told me that we would be going to Aruba. I didn't know where
Aruba was. May 25 is our anniversary, because I was adopted and this vacation is
to celebrate my adoption. My father is a lawyer. r can't remember how long. My
father was in the Navy. I don't remember anymore for how many years. My
father is not married and was never married either. We were always only the two
of us. When I was growing up, there never used to be a female person with us.
The •eason why I did not take to sea on the wave-runners with my father and
, Max :the next day was because I was very stiff from the day before. I told my
father that he should go, so that he would also remain stiff. .
I did not specifically . look. out for Max in order to have contact with him. I
thought he was IS orl6 years of age and he looked older. He was very mature. I
have young and old friends. Max and I spoke aboilt cars and motorcycles.
In the past, I was arrested for drunkenness. I was 2 I at the time. This happened in
front of my house. My father was never arrested. I am a hundred percent hetero. I
have never had intim.ate contacts with boys or men.
This is a sad and bad tragedy. This is the first time that I am experiencing such a
tragedy. I don't know whether my father had rented the wave-runners from the
same company where I rented my wave-runner.
: aforementioned declaration was read by me, MARQUEZ, In
witness, he declared that he persisted in it and signed this draft .
. this official record, drawn up, closed and signed under oath of
VlARQUEZ, GOELOE and SEUTE, on May 15, 2004 at ~alm
The reporting officers,
EZ M.A. GOELOE P.B. SEUTE
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
'y certify the above to be a true translation of the Dutch text.
July 16, 2005.
Universal Translations
Kaya Cederela 1# 13
Tel.: 868-123~ /560-8458
Curatrao, N.A.

Akoya

Department: District - 2
Sub-department: Uniformed Police
Update no.: 204017011- 4
Adm. No.
OFFICIAL REPORT
I, Ryan Franklin ANTHONY, police officer with the Aruba Police Force and
assigned to the Beach Police Station. declare the following.
On May 13,2004, at approximately 19.01 hours, I, ANTHONY, interrogated
the witness named:
David Russel STACEY Jr.,
born in the United States of America on October 27, 1967, (staying temporarily)
at La Cabana Resort 3578 -F in Aruba.
His declaration made in English was translated by me, ANTHONY, into Dutch
and put down in writing, and runs as follows.
"On Thursday, May 6, 2004, at approximately 12:00 hours my father and 1
arrived in Aruba. My father and 1 had decided to come to Aruba, because we
were no longer going to Hawaii. We thought that Aruba was a nice place to go to.
My father STACEY Sf; had bought the airline tickets. Until now 1 don't know
where he bought these tickets. As we had arrived here in Aruba a day too early,
we spent one night at the Holiday Inn Hotel. We intended to stay a week in
Aruba. On May 7, 2004, at approximately 15:00 hours, we went to La Cabana to
stay, as we had made reservations with La Cabana a month earlier. 1 don't live
with my father. My father lives in Illinois and I live in Tennessee. On Saturday,
May 8, 2004, I went to the second floor of the lobby in the evening; There, I
found a pool table that I wanted to play. I noticed that the pool balls were not on
the table. On account of this, I went to the front desk to ask for the pool balls.
When I got the pool balls at the front desk, a lady who was unknown to me at
that moment asked me where the pool table was, because she and her son also
wanted to play pool. I pointed out to her where the pool table was. I went upstairs
where my father was waiting for me to play pool. After a few games, my father
and I went to have dinner. When we were finished, my father went back to our
room 3578-F. I walked back to the pool table to go on playing. After 1 had been
playing for about an hour, the lady whom I had seen at the front desk came up to
me. She was with a boy who later turned out to be her son. She began talking
with me and asked me if 1 had been playing all by myself all the while. I had
never seen this woman in my life. I did not know that woman at all. She told me
that her name is Yvonne and that her son's name was Max. 1 then started playing
pool with Max. Max and 1 had played pool until a security guard of La Cabana
informed us that we had to stop. 1 walked to my room and I saw Max walking
away too. Max went away by himself as his mother Yvonne had gone to their
room earlier. In the evening of Sunday, May 9,2004, I saw Max again. We went
to play pool again on the same spot, but we did not play very long as Max had
said that he would have to wake up early the next morning to go for a tour. On
Monday, May 10, 2004, I went to the pool table in the evening and found my
father near the bar next to the pool table. While I was talking with my father, I
Universal Translations
Kaya Cederela II 13
Tel.: 868-1238 I 560-tMe8
Cur:!lc;an. N·.&
V
II
saw Yvonne and Max. According to me, Max was playing and Yvonne was at a
table. I then introduced Yvonne and Max to my father. We continued talking and
playing pool there. At that moment I did not know whether my father already
knew Yvonne and Max, but-we had built up a good friendship together. There,
Yvonne informed us that Max had a ticket to go para-sailing the next day. My
father and I then made an appointment with them to meet at the swimming-pool
at approximately 10:00 hours, because I also wanted to have a para-sailing trip.
Max and I went to a water sports enterprise situated in front of La Cabana. I
don't remember the name of the water sport enterprise any more. My father had
paid for the para-sailing trip. When Max and I had finished para-sailing, Max, my
father, Yvonne, Yvonne's sister-in-law, Yvonne's daughter and I went to a
restaarant at La Cabana where pizzas are sold. When we finished eating pizza,
Max and I went to the same water sports enterprise to rent wave-runners. We got
the wave-runners at $ 45 for a 40-minute ride. Yvonne had given Max pennission
to go riding on wave-runners with me. When we arrived at the water sports
enterprise, the man who was working there asked Max how old he was. Max told
him that he was 16. They did not ask for any ID cards. They did not ask me
either. We walked about without any ID, as we were constantly wet from the sea
or the swimming-pool. Everything went O.K. with the ride on the wave-runners.
It was the first time for me on a wave-runner. I saw that Max did not have any
difficulty in steering the wave-runner, as he had told me earlier that this was not
the first time for him. When we were finisbed :with the. wave-runners, Max and I
went back to the swit~1ming-pool to meet my father and his mother. I was a bit
tired and went to fetch ' a beer at the pool bar. I saw Max jump into the
swimming-pool and started playing with his sister. They were playing with a ball.
Max then asked me if I also wanted to play with them. I agreed and also jumped
into the pool. When I got out of the pool, I told them to meet me later at the pool
table. I went to my room to take a bath and rest a while. After I had rested a
whitt:, I was dropped at the Holiday Inn by my father. On the first day thaH was
at the Holiday Inn, I met a woman whom I wanted to see again. I also w€mt to the
internet cafe at the Holiday Inn. I went back to La Cabana by bus ' and at
approximately 00:30 hours. I immediately went to the pool table and met nobody
there. The bar tender asked me if I was lost, as Max, Yvonne and my father had
already left. I asked for a drink and went to my room. My father was already
sleeping when I entered the room. On the morning of May 12, 2004~ my father
and I were talking. I told him that my legs were hurting due to riding the waverunners.
I told my father that he should try the wave-runners, as Max and I
enjoyed it. My father went to the swimming-pool and said that if Max wanted to
go with him, he would give it a try. After this, I stayed in our room for about an
hour. I did not know that Max and my father had gone on the wave-runners,
because I saw my father with a bOok and he said that he was going to do some
reading at the pool. I went downstairs to see if my father was in the vicinity. As I
had not met him at the pool, I thought that he had gone with Max to rent the
wave-runners. I went to the beach in front of La Cabana Hotel and lay a while on
a chair waiting for my father. I was not sure that Max and my father were on the
wave-runners. I waited there for about 45 minutes. As I did not see my father and
Max, I decided to go to my room to rest for a while. I was sleeping when I was
awakened by the phone. I had a conversation with a man who asked me if I was
missing. I answered that I was not. He asked me about the wave-runners. I told
him that I had ridden a wave-runner yesterday. He asked we if my room number
was 3578-F. I answered that this was correct. He asked me if my name was
Universal Translations
KliVII eAderels" 13
David STACEY. I answered him that my father's name and my name are the
same. Then the man told me to go to the beach where the wave-runners are to
meet the police. When I got there, you informed me that my father and Max were
missing at sea. I was told later on that my father had been found. When he came
ashore on a boat, I was told by the police to take dry clothes to the police station
for my father".
w.s.
D.R. STACEY jr.
After J, ANTHONY, had read the declaration above, translated into English, to
the witness, he declared that he persisted in it and signed this draft.
Whereof this official record was drawn up, closed and signed by me,
ANTHONY, under oath of office on May 14, 2004 at Oranjestad.
The reporting officer,
R.F. ANTHONY
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:xxx.xx.x.xxx

Akoya

Department: Surveillance Section
Sub-<iepartment: District 2
Update no.: 204017011- 2
Adm. No.
Witness
OFFICIAL REPORT
I, Aster Regina MARQUEZ, police sergeant first class with the Aruba Police
Force and assigned to the Beach Police Station, declare the following.
Ofl May 13, 2004, at approximately 19:02 hours, I, MARQUEZ, interrogated
the witness named:
David Russel STACEY,
born in the United States of America on AprilS, 1949, residing at 1010
Sweettlower Dr., Hoffman Estates IL., 60194 and temporarily staying at La
Cabana Resort in room 3578 in Aruba.
His declaration, made in English, was translated into Dutch by me,
MARQUEZ, and put down in writing, and runs as follows.
[Translator's statement: "The EnSlish text, forming part of the Dutch
document, has not been included here"}
W.S.
D.R. STACEY
Observations Right upper palm:
reporting
Thumb
ring finger
middle finger
- small wound
- small wound
officer: - red spot
Left upper palm: middle finger - 2 small cuts
under the ring finger - small wound
The Inside of both hands had a redlblue/purple color and the inside of the right
little finger had a small cut.
After the above declaration had been read in English to the witness by me,
MARQUEZ, he declared to persist in it and signed this draft.
Whereof this official record, drawn up, closed and signed by me, MARQUEZ,
under oath of office on May 13, 2004 at Oranjestad.
The reporting officer,
A.R. MARQUEZ
x~xxx~x~~x~xoaxvo~ax~~ax~~~
Translator's statement: I hereby certify the above to be a true translation of the Dutch text.
Curafao, Netherlands Antilles, July 16, 2005.
Universal Translations
I ! .
saw Yvonne and Max. According to me, Max was playing and Yvonne was at a
table. I then introduced Yvonne and Max to my father. We continued talking and
playing pool there. At that moment I did not know whether my father already
knew Yvonne and Max, but-we had built up a good friendship together. There,
Yvonne informed us that Max had a ticket to go para-sailing the next day. My
father and I then made an appointment with them to meet at the swimming-pool
at approximately 10:00 hours, because I also wanted to have a para-sailing trip.
Max and I went to a water sports enterprise situated in front of La Cabana. I
don't remember the name of the water sport enterprise any more. My father had
paid for the para-sailing trip. When Max and I had finished para-sailing, Max, my
father, Yvonne, Yvonne's sister-in-law, Yvonne's daughter and I went to a
restaarant at La Cabana where pizzas are sold. When we finished eating pizza,
Max and I went to the ~e water sports enterprise to rent wave-runners. We got
the wave-runners at $ 45 for a 40-minute ride. Yvonne had given Max permission
to go riding on wave-runners with me. When we arrived at the water sports
enterprise, the man who was working there asked Max how old he was. Max told
him that he was 16. They did not ask for any ID cards. They did not ask me
either. We walked about witho,ut any 10, as we were constantly wet from the sea
or the swimming-pool. Everything went O.K. with the ride on the wave-runners.
It was the first time for me on a wave-runner. I saw that Max did not have any
difficulty in steering the wave-runner, as he had told me earlier that this was not
the first time for him. When we were. finished .with the wave-runners, Max and I
went back to the swimming-pool to meet my father and his mother. I was a bit
tired and went to fetch a beer at the pool bar. I saw Max jump into the
swimming-pool and started playing with his sister. They were playing with a ball.
Max then asked me if I also wanted to play with them. I agreed and also jumped
into the pool. When I got out of the pool, I told them to meet me later at the pool
table. I went to my room to take a bath and rest a while. After I had rested a
while, I was dropped at the Holiday Inn by my father. On the first day that I was
at the Holiday Inn, I met a woman whom I wanted to see again. I also went to the
internet cafe at the Holiday Inn. I went back to La Cabana by bus and at
approximately 00:30 hours. I immediately went to the pool table and met nobody
there. The bar tender asked me if I was lost, as Max, Yvonne and my father had
already left. I asked for a drink and went to my room. My father was already
sleeping when I entered the room. On the morning of May 12, 2004, my father
and I were talking. I told him that my legs were hurting due to riding the waverunners.
I told my father that he should try the wave-runners, as Max and I
enjoyed it. My father .went to the swimming-pool and said that if Max wanted to
go with him, he would give it a try. After this, I stayed in our room for about an
hour. I did not know that Max and my father had gone on the wave-runners;
because I saw my father with a book and he said that he was going to do some
reading at the pool. I went downstairs to see if my father was in the vicinity. As I
had not met him at the pool, I thought that he had gone with Max to rent the
wave-runners. I went to the beach in front of La Cabana Hotel and lay a while on
a chair waiting for my father. I was not sure that Max and my father were on the
wave-runners. I waited there for about 45 minutes. As I did not see my father and
Max, I decided to go to my room to rest for a while. I was sleeping when I was
awakened by the phone. I had a conversation with a man who asked me if I was
missing. I answered that I was not. He asked me about the wave-runners. I told
him that I had ridden a wave-runner yesterday. He asked we if my room number
was 3578-F. I answered that this was correct. He asked me if my name was
Universal Translations
David STACEY. I answered him that my father's name and my name are the
same. Then the man told me to go to the beach where the wave-runners are to
meet the police. When I got there, you informed me that my father and Max were
missing at sea. I was told later on that my father had been found. When he came
ashore on a boat, I was told by the police to take dry clothes to the police station
for my father".
w.s.
D.R. STACEY jr.
After I, ANTHONY, had read the declaration above, translated into English, to
the witness, he declared that he persisted in it and signed this draft. :,
Whereof this official record was drawn up, closed and signed by me,
ANTHONY, under oath of office on May 14, 2004 at Oranjestad.
The reporting officer,
R.F. ANTHONY
x.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Translator's statement: I hereby certify the above to be a true translation of the Dutch text.
Curar;ao, Netherlands Antilles, July 16,2005.
Universal Translations
Kaya Cederela II 13
Tel.: 868-1231/5&0-8458
Curac;ao, N.A.

Akoya

~I:a ~ PRO-JUSTITIA ~i' .. ~ ,~~~ ARUBA POLICE FORCE
~~
Department: Uniformed Police
Sub-department: Surveillance
Update DO.: 204017011- 1
Adm. No.
/1/ of 7 f cft...._
OFFICIAL REPORT
We, Humphrey Flaviano KOOLMAN, and Mike Alexander GOELOE,
respectively senior police officer first class and police officer with the Aruba
Police Force, respectively assigned to the Section Surveillance District 2 and
Beach Police Station, declare the following.
On Wednesday, May 12, 2004, at approximately 21 :30 hours we interrogated
the man named;
David Russel STACEY,
born in the U.S.A. on April 5, 1949, residing at 1010 Sweet Flower Drive,
Hoffman Estates, Illinois, 60194 in the U.S.A. and temporarily staying in room
3578 of La Cabana Hotel in Aruba.
He made a declaration in English which was translated into Dutch and put
down in writing by me, KOOLMAN.
"This day, at approximately 13:45 hours, I went riding with the boy Max on
two wave-runners. By coincidence I made the acquaintance of this bpy together
with his mc;>ther and sister in La Cabana Hotel. Yesterday my son had already
gone riding with the boy. I offered to pay for him, if he would go with me. We
rented the two wave~runners at Sunshine Water Sports. So, we leftat about 13:45
hours. We wen.t straight to a sandbank that Max wanted to go tQ and btnie a look
at. He had been there the day before. I did not see any sandbank, but after about
10 minutes Max stopped his wave-runner. He jumped into the water and then
dived under water. I remained on my wave-runner with the engine running.
When Max surfaced, he got onto his wave-runner. He tried to start it, but he did
not manage. The boat started once, but then stalled. After this, the wave-runner
did not react at all. The battery had probably died. Subsequently, we tried to tie
the two wave-runners to each other to return to the shore with both boats. We tied
the boats together at the rear side, but we did not manage to make headway. We
tried in every possible manner to reach the shore with both wave-runners, but we
did not succeed. We remained seated on the wave-runners for a while, as,
according to Max, it is known that the enterprise will send a boat to look for you,
if you stay away too long. This did not happen, however. It is also very difficult
to remain seated on a wave-runner, because a wave-runner will immediately
capsize if it is not moving. So, we waited for about an hour with the waverunners
without anybody coming to pick us up. After this, we decided to float on
the water while holding the wave-runners with a rope. At a given moment, Max
started swimming towards the shore. We had not agreed anything with each
other. He started swimming and I stayed back with the wave-runners. At a given
moment I looked in his direction and saw that he was drifting away in the
direction of the big hotels. He was no longer swimming. He was drifting by
means of his life jacket. I tried to swim to him, but I couldn't. The moment I let
go of the wave-runners and started swimming in Max' dir' th wave-
~GO V€ ,..
Iv'> "1<
~W'l--...... Universal Translations
", __ ._ "._ ... _ ~_._ ..1.1. .aA
Cor:
Seen:
runners drifted away. I could reach neither Max nor the wave-runners. After
about 15 minutes, I lost sight of Max. As far as I could see, Max was drifting
from my position in a northerly direction, in the direction of open sea. I could see
him drifting and on his right I could see the big hotels. As far as I could assess,
he was drifting to open sea. From my position, I could still clearly see La Cabana
Hotel. I estimate that I was found after about an hour and a half after we had let
. go ofthe wave-runners.
The above-mentioned declaration was recorded immediately after the man
D.R. STACEY had been fished up from the water and is therefore not signed.
Whereof this official record was drawn up, closed and signed by us, under
oath of office on May 14, 2004 at Oranjestad.
The reporting officers,
M.A. GOELOE H.F. KOOLMAN
xxxxxxxxx :xxx.xxxn:n:xxx
Curafao, Netherlands Antilles, July /6,2005.
Universal Translations
Kaya Cederel, , 13
Tel.: 868-12351 560-8458

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LookingforSabrina