WA LUCIAN MUNGUIA: Missing from Yakima, WA - 10 Sept 2022 - Age 4

1662953732421.png1662953640365.png

WSP needs help finding missing boy last seen in Yakima park​

Washington State Patrol needs help finding a missing and endangered 4-year-old boy, last seen in a park in Yakima.

Authorities say Lucian Munguia was at Sarge Hubbard Park with his parents, but walked off, heading southeast from the parking lot.

Statewide alert issued for missing 4-year-old in Yakima​

Lucian Munguia was reported missing Saturday evening. Sunday, Yakima Police issued a statewide alert for the missing 4-year-old.

The alert is similar to an amber alert, but does not meet the requirements to be considered an amber alert.

The alert is being issued so law enforcement agencies and communities of the missing child.

Lucian is 4-years old, 4' 0" tall, 40 pounds with black hair and brown eyes.

He was last seen wearing wearing a long sleeve shirts with a shark picture on it, blue shorts and black shoes.

He walked away from his parents and was last seen walking southeast from the Sarg Hubbard Park parking lot.

1662953711797.png

MEDIA - LUCIAN MUNGUIA: Missing from Yakima, WA - 10 Sept 2022 - Age 4

Last edited:

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member

Candlelight vigil held for missing Yakima boy, family, search turned over to county​

mbers of the community as well as law enforcement and first responders gathered at Martin Luther King Park Sunday to pray for missing 4-year-old boy named Lucian. Lucian has been missing since Saturday when his family reported they could not find him at Sarge Hubbard Park.

Nearly 100 people gathered near a pavillion at the vigil, which was organized by the Yakima City Council, to pray for Lucian and his family. Councilwoman Patricia Byers and Assistant Mayor Holly Cousens said wanted to host a vigil because many people wanted to do something to help.

Authorities have asked people not to come to Sarge Hubbard Park and assist in the search. People who are trained to find missing persons are the only people authorities are allowing to participate.

An officiant with the Yakima Valley Association of Faith Communities led the group in prayer. People could come and pray with the group or stand in support of the family and search and rescue teams.

At this time, there is a statewide alert associated with the missing 4-year-old, however, an AMBER Alert has not been issued in this case because it does not meet the criteria at this time.

Yakima Police Chief Matt Murray said the search and rescue has been turned over to the Yakima County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue team. Chief Murray said the police department will continue to work the case.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member

Missing Yakima boy’s mother says son loves fish, will come if called​

The parents of Lucian, the 4-year-old boy who has now been missing more than 24 hours, said they are desperate to find any clues as to where he may have gone.

Lucian went missing from Sarge Hubbard Park Saturday. Authorities said his family spent about 15 minutes looking for him before they called police.

Yakima Fire Deputy Chief DJ Goldsmith said there is more than 100 people searching for the boy; many of those crews include trained searchers from Yakima, Kittitas, Klickitat and Spokane counties. Goldsmith said authorities are using drones, helicopters, ATV and UTV teams as well as tracking dogs, boats and search and rescue teams.

Lucian, which is pronounced “Lu-shi-en”, isn’t nonverbal as previously reported on social media, according to his parents. His mother said he usually comes when someone calls out for him and does not have a history of wandering off. She said he also will answer to “Shooshi” or “Shooshen”, which are two of his nicknames. Lucian’s mother also said he also recognizes the word “Yoohoo!” because that’s how she greets him when she gets home from work. She said he usually says it back to her when she comes in the door.

“I want people to look out for him in any setting,” his mother said. “For his long beautiful hair and baby brown eyes.”

Goldsmith said searchers aren’t leaving any possibility out. “We also have had divers in local lakes and ponds to try and see if they could come up,” he said.

Volunteers with Camp Hope and the American Red Cross provided assistance to search teams by providing food and water on Sunday. One thing people shouldn’t do, Goldsmith said, is show up at the park and ask to help. Authorities need people to stay away from the search zone so they can work in a concentrated effort without interference.

“I know everybody wants to help but sometimes if we get too many people out here, it kind of throws things off,” Goldsmith said. He said they’re bringing out additional technology to help them search the ponds to hopefully rule them out as a possibility or locate the young boy who loves fish and singing the ABC song.

The Yakima Police Department is asking the public to provide any pictures or video they may have taken last night at Sarg Hubbard Park between 6:45 p.m. and 9 p.m. via email to YPD@yakimapolice.org

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member

Submersible drones, Air Force called in to search for missing Yakima 4-year-old​

More than a half dozen agencies are continuing their search for a missing 4-year-old in Yakima Monday.

Remote submersible drones are being used to search waterways.

Investigators say more search technology is also being implemented.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member

“I just want to hold my baby again,” missing four-year-old’s mother prays son will be found safe​

Monday Yakima’s grey and rainy weather reflected the emotions looming in the air as the search for missing four-year-old, Lucian Munguia, entered it’s second full day.

The Yakima County Sheriff’s Office now taking the lead on searching for Munguia and investigating all possible leads alongside the Yakima Police Department.

YPD Patrol Division Captain Jay Seely said they can’t only focus on one possibility because they don’t know what happened to him.

“We’re looking at all aspects of this as far as maybe he’s just missing and hiding in the brush to maybe something drastic has really happened,” Captain Seely said.

Lucian Munguia was last seen Saturday evening playing with his older brother at Sarg Hubbard Park. He and his brother were rolling down a grass hill by the playground when his older brother couldn’t see him anymore.

Lucian’s dad called police after frantically searching for him for 15 minutes.

Monday the search focused on the south side of the greenway after reports that Lucian was seen going that way.

Sandra Munguia said she doesn’t think her son would hide this long and she believes he was kidnapped but she doesn’t have any proof. If he was taken, she asks that the person do the right thing and bring him back.

“If someone did, just let him go, bring him back to the park where he went missing, Sarg Hubbard or Kiwanis, his favorite park,” she said. “We just want him back home and safe. I just want to hold my baby again.”

If you see Lucian Munguia, his mom said he will respond to his name or if you ask him if he wants to go ‘bye bye in mommy’s new car.’

YPD is asking that tips be called into 911. There was also a party going on at Sarg Hubbard on Saturday. YPD is asking if you were at that party or at Sarg Hubbard between 6:30 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. on Saturday and took any video or pictures that may have caught Lucian in the background to email them to YP@yakimawa.gov.

Kimster

Administrator
Staff member
These autistic kiddos are so fascinated by water. I know I’ve told the story before about when my son was about two or three years old and he slipped away from me at a party and went straight for the water at a pond. Thankfully I was right behind him and he barely got his feet wet before I scooped him up.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member
Yakima police scaling back resources for missing 4 y/o
Yakima Police are continuing to search for the missing 4 year-old boy, Lucian.

As of Monday night, officials will be scaling back on their resources from around the state and the search and rescue team.

Officials say they have have been in water, on the river, through brush and trails, the park, nearby roads and businesses, and everything in between.

They also say detectives have visited nearby homes and businesses for video. They have visited homeless encampments, interviewed witnesses, and followed up on leads.

Police say there has been no indication of foul play.

To date, officials have been discouraging the public to help in the search for Lucian.

Now, they are asking the public to continue the search and let police know if they find Lucian or have a clue to his location.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member

‘Please don’t wait’: Missing Yakima boy’s parents speak out, plead for help with search​

His name is Lucian Munguia and he’s a 4-year-old boy with long, beautiful hair, who plays and laughs, loves fish and enjoys playing with his big brother. He’s also been missing for more than 72 hours.

“If you have him, just drop him off where he’s gonna be found and just let him go,” Lucian’s mother Sandra Munguia told KAPP-KVEW on Tuesday. “He wants to come home. My 2-year-old daughter misses him. My 6-year-old misses him. We miss him.”

Munguia said it started with a family trip Saturday evening to Sarg Hubbard Park in Yakima. Her husband, Juano, had just arrived with 4-year-old Lucian, their 6-year-old son and 2-year-old daughter.

Kids in tow, Munguia said her husband parked right next to the playground. He was changing their daughter’s diaper in the car as the boys got out to play on the hill, which she said is still within view of where they were parked.

“Within a minute, just a blink of an eye, he was gone,” Munguia said.

Yakima Police Chief Matt Murray told KAPP-KVEW in an interview Tuesday that investigators found video that shows Lucian leaving the park in a southeast direction by himself and that they do not suspect foul play.

“He left the park by himself. That’s what we know for a fact,” Murray said. “What happened after that? Well, that, we may still have to find but we’ve had detectives scouring this entire area, looking for people with video, businesses with video.”

Munguia said they feel in their hearts like someone may have taken their son, because they don’t believe he’s hiding. She said he doesn’t really understand the concept of hiding when they play hide-and-seek and comes out before he’s ever found.

“He won’t even go hide … He’ll follow my son to go play hide-and seek and then he gives away my son,” Munguia said.

Munguia said while Lucian does have autism, he isn’t nonverbal like has been posted in several places on social media.

“His English is broken up,” Munguia said. “It’s not full sentences, but he still talks. There is talking.”

Munguia said what they need right now, more than anything, is for volunteers from the community to help search for her son, especially now that authorities have scaled back on their resources.

Munguia is encouraging people to come meet with family members, who are stationed near the playground at Sarg Hubbard Park, 111 S. 18th St. in Yakima. They’re asking searchers to check in so they can direct them to the next area that needs to be covered.

She said businesses have discouraged volunteers from parking in the lots adjacent to the park, but that spots are available in the parking lot near the Yakima Greenway sign as you enter the park and up by the playground.

If people aren’t able to dedicate time to the search, they can come down to pick up missing person flyers with Lucian’s name and photo on it and distribute them across town, give them to local businesses or even tape them to their cars.

Munguia said they’ve received help with printing those flyers from Print Guys and other printing shops around town.

“They’re donating a lot of flyers every day,” Munguia said.

Munguia said they’ve received a lot of messages from people reporting seeing something or hearing something odd hours or even days prior. She said they want people to report things happening as they happen.

“Not two hours later … Just take a second to drop what you’re doing and call 911,” Munguia said. “Please don’t wait until two hours after it happens. We need to know that moment.”

If you want to help in other ways not mentioned here, family members said you can come talk to them at the Sarg Hubbard Park playground. At least one of them will be staying there 24/7 until Lucian is found, with some even sleeping in their cars to stay close to the search area.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member

Family members, volunteers conducting search for missing 4-year-old in Yakima​

Family members and volunteers are still searching day and night for Lucian Munguia, the 4-year-old boy who went missing Saturday at Sarg Hubbard Park in Yakima.

Grateful for the support they have already received, Lucian’s family asked that community members continue to look for the missing boy. Family members have come from as far as California and Hawai’i and started their own search operation with the help of local volunteers.

“We need people to walk the trails. We need experienced hikers,” Sandra Munguia, Lucian’s mother, said. “Until he is found, we’re not leaving.”

Some family members have not left the park, sleeping in their cars in the Sarg Hubbard’s parking lot. Several are staying at a nearby hotel.

“We haven’t lost hope,” said Norma Munguia, one of Lucian’s aunts.

“Until there’s actual proof, we’re out here and we’re solely (relying) on community to help,” Sandra Munguia said. “Listen for Lucian.”

GrandmaBear

Deputized Emu Slayer/Horse Thief Hunter
So far behind on the website.

I don't like this one.

Is this mom taliking throughout? I thought so but then she talks of "her son" which seems to not refer to him but a brother, "her son"...

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean anything by it, he was seen on camera or by people by himself heading away...

But there are some things I don't like in just skimming this one.

I doubt some stranger abducted him or did the stranger know he comes when called...

LE doesn't have or see any evidence apparently of an abduction either and halted searches.

I don't know...

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member
The family of Lucian Munguia is still out at Sarg Hubbard park in Yakima, hoping to find answers about what happened to the missing four-year-old.

Stations are set up for volunteers to help search, hand out flyers and to get any information they can.

Lucian's family has started a Facebook page named Finding Lucian to clear up misinformation they've seen online saying Lucian's been found, or rumors they don't want help finding him.

Lucian's Mother Sandra Munguia, said with the Facebook page "there is no miscommunication, you know what we're doing and what we know or are going to put out there. If he's found, we're going to tell you, I'm not going to come out here and waste my time and other people's time. I'm not out here to do that I'm out here to find my son."

Lucian's mother is grateful for all the help they've received so far, but asks that anyone willing to help reach out to the group on Facebook or to visit them down at the park to help with the search.

FACEBOOK GROUP - FINDING LUCIAN

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member
While Yakima Police Department detectives continue to investigate, they’ve pulled back resources from other agencies assisting in the search for missing 4-year-old Lucian Munguia.

That includes trained search and rescue teams with the Yakima County Sheriff’s Office, according to spokesperson Casey Schilperoort, who said this case is an outlier among all the other missing children they’ve recovered over the years.

However, Schilperoort said he couldn’t think of any cases within the past decade where YCSO search and rescue teams were unable to find a missing child — except for Lucian, who remains missing despite the unprecedented response from authorities and the community.

“We don’t normally get, you know, 100, 200 or 300 search and rescue volunteers or community members to come out and help,” Schilperoort said. “It’s almost unheard of, at least for us in the last 10 years.”

Summer_Breeze

"Blowing through the jasmine in my mind"

Posted: September 19, 2022 8:04 PM
Updated: September 19, 2022 8:08 PM
by Emily Goodell, Erin Wencl

<snip>

Bodies of water near where Lucian went missing like Buchanan Lake have been double checked by River Runners from a kayaking club and private dive team. The area was covered more than once by trained search and rescue teams and volunteers, who have expanded the search.

“They are very positive they didn’t see anything, but the GoPro — they are going to review it and see if there’s something that could possibly be [there],” Bailey said. “But as of right now, we have no reason to believe that he is in any of the ponds or lakes in the surrounding area.”

Adding to the stress are the constant comments on social media in reference to the search. Bailey said many people are weighing in with their own ideas and that’s harming the family.

Unfounded comments, gossip and especially, tips, are also harming the search efforts, by periodically sending searchers on wild goose chases and taking up valuable time and resources.

“There was a false tip that he was found deceased and I mean, you know, that’s going to hit that hinder our search because we’re not getting any volunteers from the community,” said Kyle Cameron with the Yakima County Sheriff’s Office. “I think it’s a little cruel, and I think that it definitely hinders our search efforts.”

Kimster

Administrator
Staff member

Posted: September 19, 2022 8:04 PM
Updated: September 19, 2022 8:08 PM
by Emily Goodell, Erin Wencl

<snip>

Bodies of water near where Lucian went missing like Buchanan Lake have been double checked by River Runners from a kayaking club and private dive team. The area was covered more than once by trained search and rescue teams and volunteers, who have expanded the search.

“They are very positive they didn’t see anything, but the GoPro — they are going to review it and see if there’s something that could possibly be [there],” Bailey said. “But as of right now, we have no reason to believe that he is in any of the ponds or lakes in the surrounding area.”

Adding to the stress are the constant comments on social media in reference to the search. Bailey said many people are weighing in with their own ideas and that’s harming the family.

Unfounded comments, gossip and especially, tips, are also harming the search efforts, by periodically sending searchers on wild goose chases and taking up valuable time and resources.

“There was a false tip that he was found deceased and I mean, you know, that’s going to hit that hinder our search because we’re not getting any volunteers from the community,” said Kyle Cameron with the Yakima County Sheriff’s Office. “I think it’s a little cruel, and I think that it definitely hinders our search efforts.”
Why do people torment agonized families? Pisses me off.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Administrator
Staff member
Lucian case detectives get about 5 tip calls every day, YPD says
It’s been more than a week since 4-year-old Lucian went missing.

Today, we’re finding out from police what they’re doing in their investigation right now.

Police say they continue to investigate tips and leads they’ve received from the Sheriff’s Office and from community members.

Yvette Inzunza with the Yakima Police Department says detectives have gotten about 5 calls every day, along with numerous emails on potential leads in this case that they are tracking down.

“Again, we are continuing to follow any information that we have, if there was a kidnapping, if there was any foul play, and again, as of now, we don’t have any information or anything breaking on that side,” Inzunza said.

Although Yakima County Sheriff’s Office officially pulled back their search and rescue resources, they tell us volunteers with their search and rescue team have since gone back outside of work hours to help in the search for Lucian.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thefelonfiles