LIBBY GERMAN & ABBY WILLIAMS: Teens murdered in Delphi, IN - Feb 2017 *ARREST*

On February 14, 2017, the bodies of Abigail Williams and Liberty German were discovered near the Monon High Bridge Trail, which is part of the Delphi Historic Trails in Delphi, Indiana, United States, after the young girls had disappeared from the same trail the previous day. The murders have received significant media coverage because a photo and audio recording of an individual believed to be the girls' murderer was found on German's smartphone. Despite the audio and video recordings of the suspect that have been circulated and the more than 26,000 tips that police have received, no arrest in the case has been made.[1][2][3]

1581272168478.png

Police have not publicly stated nor released details of how the girls were murdered.[6] As early as February 15, 2017, Indiana State Police began circulating a still image of an individual reportedly seen on the Monon High Bridge Trail near where the two friends were slain; the grainy photograph appearing to capture a Caucasian male, with hands in pockets, walking on the rail bridge, head down, toward the girls.[4] A few days later, the person in the photograph was named the prime suspect in the double-homicide.[5]

On February 22, law enforcement released an audio recording where the voice of the assailant,[7] though in some degree muffled, is heard to say, "Down the hill." It was at this news conference that officials credited the source of the audio and imagery to German's smartphone, and, further, regarded her as a hero for having had the uncanny foresight and fortitude to record the exchange in secret. Police indicated that additional evidence from the phone had been secured, but that they did not release it so as not to "compromise any future trial." By this time, the reward offered in the case was set at $41,000.[5]

1581272119747.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing new in this really--we have heard the one more piece, one more tip before, but it is a current article.
The whole “one tip away” mantra bothers me a bit. It seems like we have so much with the footage and audio, and I’m sure there’s more that won’t ever be released. They hopefully have some physical evidence. And yet, it’s like they are saying “we have all the elements of the problem, now someone please just tell us the solution.”

They have surely been tipped with the identities of many who are NOT the killer. So - there’s no evidence that leads them toward someone?

This case troubles us because of these elements, as well as the thought that this guy is probably walking free.

Side note - this case has taken so many twists and turns, and had so many false leads that it’s probably good that the thread got a reboot with the move to new hosting. JMO.

The whole “one tip away” mantra bothers me a bit. It seems like we have so much with the footage and audio, and I’m sure there’s more that won’t ever be released. They hopefully have some physical evidence. And yet, it’s like they are saying “we have all the elements of the problem, now someone please just tell us the solution.”

They have surely been tipped with the identities of many who are NOT the killer. So - there’s no evidence that leads them toward someone?

This case troubles us because of these elements, as well as the thought that this guy is probably walking free.

Side note - this case has taken so many twists and turns, and had so many false leads that it’s probably good that the thread got a reboot with the move to new hosting. JMO.

It bothers me too. I swear since I started following cases, the first one said the same thing and just about every single one I have followed since have said that one more tip, that one piece of the puzzle. They are sometimes solved though. This one has gone nowhere.

I alternate on this one from thinking they have things to thinking they have absolutely nothing.

Like you said, it is almost like they are saying just tell us who it is or give us the solution. I sure hope they have more than that.

That's a very thorough write-up. I don't know if I remember the part about disturbed dirt or ground mentioned by Kelsi, not that it yielded anything. I also did not realize that almost immediately LE told the families that they did not believe it was social media related or that they arranged to meet someone that way. I wonder who determined that so fast and how, before they were even found.

The article sticks to the facts and leaves out most of the rumor and conjecture. Great recap.

I think they know who did it. It might be somebody is giving an alibi for that person and they want them to come forward and tell the truth.

I think they know who did it. It might be somebody is giving an alibi for that person and they want them to come forward and tell the truth.
On a good day when I’m feeling optimistic, I can see this too. That update they gave, when they said the killer might even be in the room, had a certain feeling to it. Like they wanted to shake the tree and see what came loose.

If that’s the case, it must be so stressful for the investigators, knowing he’s out there and all they can do is watch him from a distance because they don’t have enough to make an arrest.

Family of Delphi murder victims to appear on The Dr. Oz Show

5e54a598b66da.image.jpg

Family members are sharing new details about the case, including exclusive updates, in hopes of catching the killer, according to The Dr. Oz Show. German's grandparents Becky and Mike Patty, German's sister Kelsi German, and Abigail William's mother Anna Williams are appearing on the show.

Police first shared a sketch of an older man, who was also captured on one of the girl's cell phones. Two years later, a new sketch of the suspected killer was released by police, which the family will react to on today's show.

Delphi murders: John Walsh to spotlight 2017 case in Investigation Discovery show

Since February 2017, residents of Delphi, Indiana, have struggled with grief and uncertainty over the murders of teens Liberty German and Abigail Williams.

Three years have passed — and more than 40,000 tips have been pursued by the Indiana State Police and other law-enforcement agencies — with no arrests.

Now, Investigation Discovery is turning up the heat and asking for the public's assistance to help solve the horrific case. Its show, "In Pursuit with John Walsh," will air an episode on the murders of Libby, 14, and Abby, 13, at 10 p.m. EST on April 1.

Delphi murders: John Walsh to spotlight 2017 case in Investigation Discovery show

Since February 2017, residents of Delphi, Indiana, have struggled with grief and uncertainty over the murders of teens Liberty German and Abigail Williams.

Three years have passed — and more than 40,000 tips have been pursued by the Indiana State Police and other law-enforcement agencies — with no arrests.

Now, Investigation Discovery is turning up the heat and asking for the public's assistance to help solve the horrific case. Its show, "In Pursuit with John Walsh," will air an episode on the murders of Libby, 14, and Abby, 13, at 10 p.m. EST on April 1.

Set it to record. :thumbsup:

If history is repeating itself in regards to other cases, LE probably has the killer on a list of possible suspects, whether they realize it or not. I don't know how may "Forensic Files" shows I've watched where that has been the case. Not always, but most of the time. One thing's for sure, this info doesn't leak to the press!

Killer in Delphi Murders 'Knew Area Well' Ahead of Abductions, Callahan Walsh Says After Examining Case

Three years after the unsolved murders of two teen friends in Delphi, Indiana, the case is set to get a fresh look on the Investigation Discovery show, “In Pursuit with John Walsh.”

For the show’s season season finale, John Walsh’s son, Callahan Walsh, visits Delphi in hopes of uncovering more information about the case and keeping the girls in the forefront of people's minds.

The team on “In Pursuit With John Walsh” is hoping the episode will uncover some new leads for the case. Callahan said whoever the murderer is, he believes the man was familiar with the trail where the girls were found.

“Well, I went to the crime scene and I traversed that bridge, that railroad trestle myself. It's treacherous. It's very high off the ground. There's no handrails, there's planks missing,” Callahan said. “That is something that an individual would need to have experienced crossing to get over. And that person who followed Abby and Libby across the bridge made it across with no problem. It makes me believe that that person knew that area well, that (they) knew that terrain, because it's very difficult terrain, and had experience in that area.”

Callahan hopes that although the case has been highly publicized, the new episode will serve as a reminder to the public.

“I think it's just a matter of time. I think somebody will come forward… I believe somebody who knows who this individual is but possibly is holding back that information out of fear of this person. And so I think time weighs heavy on your conscience,” Callahan said.

"I think continue telling the story, keep hammering the public over the head with Abby and Libby's story, keep it alive. And I think somebody will make that right decision. They'll saddle up, they'll come forward and give us the information that we need.”

Haven't commented on this case anywhere in some time. I, like many, have thought of so many scenarios. I do though agree and at the parts of what I feel most strongly about, agree with John Walsh's son that this person knew this area. I would even go so far as to say he knew it like the back of his hand quite possibly. I believe he is a local right under their noses and if not, then not far away who has a home or parents who are long time locals. He had too much luck to not know the area. He was too determined crossing that bridge for it to be a first time. Now whether he knew they were going to be there that day or just hung around there himself is something I go back and forth on. The death of two in a short period of time AND a video and it can't be solved thus far. What I do not tend to believe is that this was just opportunistic by some stranger passing through the area who perhaps was there once or twice or never. Nope. Jmo though.

Hundreds ride to raise money for Abby and Libby Memorial Park in Delphi

Hundreds of people took a journey Saturday from Indianapolis to Johnson County to help raise money and honor Abby Williams and Libby German.

The park in Delphi will include softball fields and a place for people to enjoy music and other artistic events.

Work well underway at Abby and Libby Memorial Park

Work is well underway on the Abby and Libby Memorial Park, built in memory of the two teens who were killed in February 2017. Still, no one has been arrested.

Until recently the Abby and Libby Memorial Park was basically a field, with hopes of becoming ball fields, an amphitheater, picnic areas, playgrounds and more. That is now becoming a reality, and the public can help finish it.

”We’ve literally had thousands of people that have contributed to this park project,” said Eric Erskin, grandfather of Abby Williams. “It’s overwhelming and humbling.”

It’s a project started by the families: Libby’s grandparents, Abby’s mom, and Abby’s grandparents, Eric and Diane Erskin. In the years since Abby and Libby died, the project has been embraced by thousands.

Over the last few months, noticeable work was done. The amphitheater is built, bathrooms will be finished this month, and lights are up.

“They can imagine a daughter, a granddaughter, a niece, a neighbor or something and they just want to do something to help, and we sincerely appreciate all of it,” said Diane Erskine of the public’s help.

1595735264218.png

New clues in chilling murders of girls who filmed their killer

New clues have emerged in the double murder of two schoolgirls who filmed and then recorded their killer make the chilling order “down the hill” which police have described as the “voice of evil”’.

One investigator into the as yet unsolved 2017 murders of Abby Williams, 13, and Liberty German, 14, in rural Indiana, has revealed the girls’ killer left several “strange … signatures” at the kill site.

It has not been revealed if these odd signatures were part of the murder method or done post mortem.

He told podcast Down The Hill (DTH) that the killer – who police have now confirmed they believe is the man Libby captured on her phone – left “a lot of evidence” at the crime scene.

Indiana State Police Superintendent Doug Carter, who is in charge of the case, also told the podcast he believes the guttural command “down the hill” was the voice of the devil coming through the killer.

“It’s amazing we have a video, we have a still photograph, we have sound and we don’t know who this person is,” he said.

How the girls were murdered has still not been released, as Supt Carter says, “because only the killer knows”.

He said someone knows who the killer is but was keeping quiet because of “extreme fear”.

“Please, please, come forward and let us know what you know,” Carter said.

“There is obviously someone withholding information,” Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby told the conference.

“It could very well be somewhere along the lines someone was even threatened not to reveal the identity of the killer.”

The DTHpodcast theorises that one person with considerable knowledge of the area committed the crime and had been planning it for some time.

The Monon High Bridge trail attracts hunters, fishers, campers and kids hiking or just taking photos of the popular spot.

DTH said the killer likely grew up walking those woods, or spends a lot of time outdoors and had come to see the bridge as the perfect trap

After anyone visiting the bridge crosses the creek, the rest of the bridge is obscured on all sides by woodland, creating privacy for anyone committing a crime.

Ans once you are there you can only go forward to the point where the bridge ends and private property begins.

DTH speculates the man rehearsed his plan, walked the route and was ready to act whenever suitable victims appeared.

He passed the girls on the bridge, then turned back and when the girls noticed him walking back in their direction, Libby started recording.

Gaining control of them with a knife or gun, he forced them to turn northward – and down the hill.

They walked through the wood and across the creek until they reached the spot where they were found and likely murdered there.

Supt Carter said that the Monon High Bridge is now considered by some in Delphi as “hallowed ground”.

He said despite no arrests to date the case is not cold, but active and has vowed to catch the girls’ killer.

Libby’s grandmother, Becky Patty who with husband Mike have been her legal guardians since she was three years old, said her granddaughter “wanted to work with the FBI, she wanted to solve crimes, she wanted to help people”.

“If anybody wants to honour her, please, help solve her crime,” Ms Patty told ABC News America.

New clues in chilling murders of girls who filmed their killer

New clues have emerged in the double murder of two schoolgirls who filmed and then recorded their killer make the chilling order “down the hill” which police have described as the “voice of evil”’.

One investigator into the as yet unsolved 2017 murders of Abby Williams, 13, and Liberty German, 14, in rural Indiana, has revealed the girls’ killer left several “strange … signatures” at the kill site.

It has not been revealed if these odd signatures were part of the murder method or done post mortem.

He told podcast Down The Hill(DTH) that the killer – who police have now confirmed they believe is the man Libby captured on her phone – left “a lot of evidence” at the crime scene.

Indiana State Police Superintendent Doug Carter, who is in charge of the case, also told the podcast he believes the guttural command “down the hill” was the voice of the devil coming through the killer.

“It’s amazing we have a video, we have a still photograph, we have sound and we don’t know who this person is,” he said.

How the girls were murdered has still not been released, as Supt Carter says, “because only the killer knows”.

He said someone knows who the killer is but was keeping quiet because of “extreme fear”.

“Please, please, come forward and let us know what you know,” Carter said.

“There is obviously someone withholding information,” Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby told the conference.

“It could very well be somewhere along the lines someone was even threatened not to reveal the identity of the killer.”

The DTHpodcast theorises that one person with considerable knowledge of the area committed the crime and had been planning it for some time.

The Monon High Bridge trail attracts hunters, fishers, campers and kids hiking or just taking photos of the popular spot.

DTH said the killer likely grew up walking those woods, or spends a lot of time outdoors and had come to see the bridge as the perfect trap

After anyone visiting the bridge crosses the creek, the rest of the bridge is obscured on all sides by woodland, creating privacy for anyone committing a crime.

Ans once you are there you can only go forward to the point where the bridge ends and private property begins.

DTH speculates the man rehearsed his plan, walked the route and was ready to act whenever suitable victims appeared.

He passed the girls on the bridge, then turned back and when the girls noticed him walking back in their direction, Libby started recording.

Gaining control of them with a knife or gun, he forced them to turn northward – and down the hill.

They walked through the wood and across the creek until they reached the spot where they were found and likely murdered there.

Supt Carter said that the Monon High Bridge is now considered by some in Delphi as “hallowed ground”.

He said despite no arrests to date the case is not cold, but active and has vowed to catch the girls’ killer.

Libby’s grandmother, Becky Patty who with husband Mike have been her legal guardians since she was three years old, said her granddaughter “wanted to work with the FBI, she wanted to solve crimes, she wanted to help people”.

“If anybody wants to honour her, please, help solve her crime,” Ms Patty told ABC News America.

I think they know who is keeping secrets for the killer and are probably afraid. I hope they come forward.

Central Indiana best-selling true crime author releases book about unsolved murders​

A best-selling Hoosier book author has just released a book that includes forensic science efforts about the unsolved murders of two girls from Delphi, Ind.

The Clue at the Haunted Bridge of the Monon Trail is written by Carol Sissom, the author of 15 published crime novels, including The LaSalle Street Murders (books one, two and three), Hand over Heart: Love Letter from a World War II Soldier, Banking with Dillinger, Who Murdered Chynna? (books one and two) and Miracles Really Do Happen (books one and two).

The Clue at the Haunted Bridge of the Monon Trail uncovers evidence about who may have killed 13-year-old Abigail “Abby” Williams and 14-year-old Liberty “Libby” German. On Feb. 13, 2017, the two friends walked along Monon High Bridge, an abandoned railway bridge in Delphi. The next day their bodies were discovered near the trail. Thousands of tips were apparently sent to police after a still image of a man seen walking on the Monon High Bridge was released; in addition, a male’s voice can distinctly be heard on an audio recording from one of the girl’s cell phones that said, “down the hill.” The case, however, remains unsolved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back