LIBBY GERMAN & ABBY WILLIAMS: Teens murdered in Delphi, IN - Feb 2017 *ARREST*

On February 14, 2017, the bodies of Abigail Williams and Liberty German were discovered near the Monon High Bridge Trail, which is part of the Delphi Historic Trails in Delphi, Indiana, United States, after the young girls had disappeared from the same trail the previous day. The murders have received significant media coverage because a photo and audio recording of an individual believed to be the girls' murderer was found on German's smartphone. Despite the audio and video recordings of the suspect that have been circulated and the more than 26,000 tips that police have received, no arrest in the case has been made.[1][2][3]

1581272168478.png

Police have not publicly stated nor released details of how the girls were murdered.[6] As early as February 15, 2017, Indiana State Police began circulating a still image of an individual reportedly seen on the Monon High Bridge Trail near where the two friends were slain; the grainy photograph appearing to capture a Caucasian male, with hands in pockets, walking on the rail bridge, head down, toward the girls.[4] A few days later, the person in the photograph was named the prime suspect in the double-homicide.[5]

On February 22, law enforcement released an audio recording where the voice of the assailant,[7] though in some degree muffled, is heard to say, "Down the hill." It was at this news conference that officials credited the source of the audio and imagery to German's smartphone, and, further, regarded her as a hero for having had the uncanny foresight and fortitude to record the exchange in secret. Police indicated that additional evidence from the phone had been secured, but that they did not release it so as not to "compromise any future trial." By this time, the reward offered in the case was set at $41,000.[5]

1581272119747.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I probably should work on my reading comprehension skills. I read "Lafayette" and immediately thought Louisiana and wasn't quite sure why they were so interested in this guy. But no, Lafayette, Indiana. 15 miles away. 🤦‍♀️ I understand more now why they're looking closely at him. Obviously there's a lot of scumbags out there, so him committing crimes against little girls unfortunately doesn't mean he's the guy. But definitely worth looking into.

James Brian Chadwell: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know​

James Brian Chadwell II is a 42-year-old Lafayette, Indiana, man who is accused of attempted murder after police found an injured, missing 9-year-old girl in his basement on April 19, 2021.

Authorities in nearby Delphi — only 15 miles away — are investigating him as a possible suspect in the notorious unsolved 2017 murders of Delphi teens Abigail Williams and Liberty German. “The information has obviously been shared with us, and our investigators are looking into him,” Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby told the Lafayette Journal & Courier.

1. The Affidavit Accuses Chadwell of Choking & Sexually Assaulting a Girl & Locking Her in His Basement

2. Some Have Noted That Chadwell Has Tattoos of Crying Girls’ Faces on His Arms

3. Chadwell, a Welder, Filled His Facebook Page With Angry Rants About Life, Saying That He ‘Wrecked’ Everything & Cries a Lot

4. Chadwell Has a Lengthy, Assaultive Criminal History in Indiana & South Dakota

Court records also show he used to live in Peru, Indiana. His father filed a notice of claim to evict him from that address in 2020.

He had an ongoing court case in 2017 for receiving stolen property and probation violation, but no hearings in February 2017. However, there were hearings in that case in the months after that time frame. At that time, his address was given as Kokomo, Indiana. That’s about 34 miles from Delphi.
The Delphi murders occurred in February 2017.

5. On TikTok, Chadwell Talked About People ‘Preying on the Little People’

What tattoo artist would agree to do girls crying?
Good question. It is "art" though ya know, anything goes in the name of "art" doesn't it? Been some strange art through the centuries...

Seriously though, what story would you give a tattoo artist for wanting such a thing permanently inked on your body or what story was told him or her as to what it represents and why you want such a thing?

I watched a video where they took a known picture of Libby in a pose that superimposed over one of the tattoos almost perfectly without any moving or adjusting it. Not sure how much weight to give it but it was interesting...

Good question. It is "art" though ya know, anything goes in the name of "art" doesn't it? Been some strange art through the centuries...

Seriously though, what story would you give a tattoo artist for wanting such a thing permanently inked on your body or what story was told him or her as to what it represents and why you want such a thing?

I watched a video where they took a known picture of Libby in a pose that superimposed over one of the tattoos almost perfectly without any moving or adjusting it. Not sure how much weight to give it but it was interesting...
The timing of getting it sure would be interesting

Last edited:
The tatoo is kinda freaky when the picture is cropped the right way, true.
I gotta say that having slept on it, and even reading social media (including his own FB) I’m a bit skeptical. Unless investigators find something concrete at his house that ties him to Delphi, this could all just be coincidence.

The sketches are notorious for resembling LOTS of men. It’s definitely eerie how this guy looks like both sketches, but just today I saw a friend’s Instagram post featuring her boyfriend (nowhere near Indiana) , and he resembles the sketches too.

I’ve heard this this guy apparently posted to FB all the time, then stopped posting right after the Delphi crimes, and didn’t start back up for a while. He’s also apparently a member of one of the Abby and Libby FB groups to which I belong, which is interesting but so are lots of folks from that region.
What I’m saying is that yeah, he’s pretty sus, but everything we know in the public sphere can easily just be coincidental. If he is BG, I hope that investigators can turn up concrete evidence.

The tatoo is kinda freaky when the picture is cropped the right way, true.
I gotta say that having slept on it, and even reading social media (including his own FB) I’m a bit skeptical. Unless investigators find something concrete at his house that ties him to Delphi, this could all just be coincidence.

The sketches are notorious for resembling LOTS of men. It’s definitely eerie how this guy looks like both sketches, but just today I saw a friend’s Instagram post featuring her boyfriend (nowhere near Indiana) , and he resembles the sketches too.

I’ve heard this this guy apparently posted to FB all the time, then stopped posting right after the Delphi crimes, and didn’t start back up for a while. He’s also apparently a member of one of the Abby and Libby FB groups to which I belong, which is interesting but so are lots of folks from that region.
What I’m saying is that yeah, he’s pretty sus, but everything we know in the public sphere can easily just be coincidental. If he is BG, I hope that investigators can turn up concrete evidence.
I know what you mean. My initial gut instinct on reading was this is not him and that it is just another bunch of tips, a recent arrest, etc. urged them or required them to look at him which I guess is as it should be. The crime seems so very dissimilar. And I agree, I have seen all of the people that have been compared from other arrests to people in Delphi and I could look at some of them again and think they could be him too by similarities to the sketch(es).

On seeing his comparison though, I was struck I think more than in almost any I have seen. with the similarities.

Gut instinct, however, if I go with my initial one, is that it is not him. Unsure enough though that I would not bet much on it.

I know what you mean. My initial gut instinct on reading was this is not him and that it is just another bunch of tips, a recent arrest, etc. urged them or required them to look at him which I guess is as it should be. The crime seems so very dissimilar. And I agree, I have seen all of the people that have been compared from other arrests to people in Delphi and I could look at some of them again and think they could be him too by similarities to the sketch(es).

On seeing his comparison though, I was struck I think more than in almost any I have seen. with the similarities.

Gut instinct, however, if I go with my initial one, is that it is not him. Unsure enough though that I would not bet much on it.
If LE has DNA, then they'll know fairly quickly. jmo

If LE has DNA, then they'll know fairly quickly. jmo
I agree but there's a lot of debate about the DNA LE may have and what type it is if they do have any. Libby's mom in an interview talked like it was you know, when someone touches or brushes up against something and then that item or person touches someone else (paraphrasing) so like touch DNA. People were suggesting or asking or pushing for a genetic thing or match with the success had in some cases, like the Golden State Killer, and more recent ones, even with unidentifieds.

I am not sure what I think re the DNA. I don't see much other reason for LE to refuse the genetic option unless they have so little or it is not the right kind of DNA?

I agree but there's a lot of debate about the DNA LE may have and what type it is if they do have any. Libby's mom in an interview talked like it was you know, when someone touches or brushes up against something and then that item or person touches someone else (paraphrasing) so like touch DNA. People were suggesting or asking or pushing for a genetic thing or match with the success had in some cases, like the Golden State Killer, and more recent ones, even with unidentifieds.

I am not sure what I think re the DNA. I don't see much other reason for LE to refuse the genetic option unless they have so little or it is not the right kind of DNA?
well, if his dna was found in any way, shape or form at their crime scene, then I would say that would be too much of a coincidence.

well, if his dna was found in any way, shape or form at their crime scene, then I would say that would be too much of a coincidence.
If his was found at the scene yes, that would be close to a slam dunk, but not sure what they have is able to rule 100 percent a perp out... Listening to the touch DNA transfer comments from Abby's mom is one of many things that make me doubt it is a sure thing. LE has also danced around the question of DNA more than once. The touch thing is what some use the example of the inspector who packages your underwear in China can leave such a thing...

I don't see much other reason for LE to refuse the genetic option unless they have so little or it is not the right kind of DNA?
Many DNA research companies are not able to help with criminal cases for legal reasons. Obviously there are exceptions, but that's one reason DNA Doe Project does not do familial DNA for unidentified children. The most likely suspect in those cases is the mother, so a match would lead directly to a suspect, which is not allowed. They can work to identify the VICTIMS of a crime, but not to identify the SUSPECTS of a crime. Obviously it has happened (Golden State Killer). However, it's a very sticky area legally and they probably have to meet additional requirements to use that as an option.

Many DNA research companies are not able to help with criminal cases for legal reasons. Obviously there are exceptions, but that's one reason DNA Doe Project does not do familial DNA for unidentified children. The most likely suspect in those cases is the mother, so a match would lead directly to a suspect, which is not allowed. They can work to identify the VICTIMS of a crime, but not to identify the SUSPECTS of a crime. Obviously it has happened (Golden State Killer). However, it's a very sticky area legally and they probably have to meet additional requirements to use that as an option.
I didn’t know that! That’s really interesting and it makes a lot of sense.

This week, Kelsi German’s mission to help find the killer of her sister, Libby German, and Libby’s friend Abby Williams became harder when she started seeing social media posts of the police sketch in the girls case placed side by side with photos of James Chadwell.

“Our family sees every single person that’s put out there, and they’re sent to us every day, and that’s just another person we think could be him, and we find out he’s not and are just heartbroken again,” German said.

Asked about claims that Chadwell may be connected to Abby and Libby’s murders, Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby said in a statement, “The information (regarding Mr. Chadwell) has been shared with us and our investigators are looking into him.”

German hopes more of quality information ends up in the hands of police … instead of a social media post.

Chadwell has been in and out of jail since he was a teenager. His body is covered in tattoos. One across his chest says “Rebellious,” but it's another tattoo of a face on his upper arm that's drawing a lot of attention, because some see an uncanny resemblance to the slain Libby German.

Ashley Chadwell said he thinks it’s a relatively new tattoo. “I really don't think he had that tattoo when he got out of prison,” Ashley said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back