GA LEILA CAVETT: Missing from Georgia - July 2020 - Age 21 - Son found wandering alone in Miramar, FL *ARREST*

1601940216179.png

1595883165746.png

Police search for family of little boy found wandering Florida neighborhood

Police in South Florida are asking for the public's help to find the family of a young boy who was found wandering alone in a Broward County neighborhood.

Miramar police said the child, who appears to be 2 to 3 years old, was seen walking near SW 68 Ave and 18th Street on Sunday morning.

Investigators said officers spent hours canvassing the area and knocking on doors, but said no one recognized the toddler.

Officers are asking anyone who recognizes the boy or has any information on who his parents or guardians are to call Miramar police at 954-602-4000.

Police are searching for parents of a Florida toddler who was found wandering around a neighborhood in a soiled diaper and without shoes

A toddler who was found wandering around a Florida neighborhood in a soiled diaper and without shoes over the weekend has still not been claimed by a parent or guardian, police said Monday morning.

Authorities said officers have been going door-to-door in a bid to locate someone who may know the toddler or his parents are.

She told the station that aside from his diaper being soiled, the toddler looked like he was in good health.

In an update Monday morning, police said: 'His family has NOT been located. Officers spent hours canvassing the area, knocking on doors, speaking w/ neighbors.

'No one recognizes the child,' police said.

Footage of the adorable toddler shows him interacting with police officers at the station and pushing around a chair.

The toddler is now in the custody of Child Protective Services as police continue their investigation.

1595883330115.png

MEDIA - LEILA CAVETT: Missing from Georgia or Alabama since July 2020 - Age 21 - Son found wandering alone in Miramar, FL

Last edited:
Lol don't take my word for it but I did take the actual addresses given and use my very poor mapping skills... I do think there are parts of Miramar to Hollywood that are closer to 15 miles... But this child as you say could not have walked that far, even the 2 miles, there could never be not one good samaritan that would have seen him and done something about it I would hope.

No I think you're right. I've seen that 2 miles elsewhere too. But also I've seen some sources say the vehicle was at the Walmart and some sources say that just SHE was seen there but the vehicle was found elsewhere. The reporting on this case is all over the place.

Investigators believe missing mom left Georgia ‘abruptly,’ her father says

The father of the woman who is still missing after her 2-year-old was wandering alone at a Miramar apartment complex tells Local 10 he is terrified for his daughter.

Curtis Cavett told Local 10 that he learned through investigators that his 21-year-old daughter, Leila Cavett, may have left her home in Georgia abruptly.

"Leila actually picked up in the middle of the night and just left which sounded strange," said Curtis Cavett, who lives in Ohio.

Cavett said he had a message for Leila and his grandson.

"Leila, I love you so much. Kamydn, your grandfather is coming to get you out of stage custody. We are going to fight for you and fight for your mom," he said.

No I think you're right. I've seen that 2 miles elsewhere too. But also I've seen some sources say the vehicle was at the Walmart and some sources say that just SHE was seen there but the vehicle was found elsewhere. The reporting on this case is all over the place.
It is all over the place and where Miramar was straightening some things out and giving clarification on their page at times, Hollywood PD's site has nothing and does not even look often updated in general. I haven't checked today but have many times. I even saw their one press release about taking over the case and went by the top of the letterhead and tried to find it on their City site, etc. and nothing... I actually found where they post press releases and it looks like it is not accessible at this time. So where to even look now for updates is a bit maddening... Imo.

Investigators believe missing mom left Georgia ‘abruptly,’ her father says

The father of the woman who is still missing after her 2-year-old was wandering alone at a Miramar apartment complex tells Local 10 he is terrified for his daughter.

Curtis Cavett told Local 10 that he learned through investigators that his 21-year-old daughter, Leila Cavett, may have left her home in Georgia abruptly.

"Leila actually picked up in the middle of the night and just left which sounded strange," said Curtis Cavett, who lives in Ohio.

Cavett said he had a message for Leila and his grandson.

"Leila, I love you so much. Kamydn, your grandfather is coming to get you out of stage custody. We are going to fight for you and fight for your mom," he said.

The middle of the night? Now this is her father and he lives in Ohio? Just trying to keep things straight because the brother's name is Curtis as well isn't it? Which would not be unusual but is confusing as he lives in Alabama I believe.

I give the family credit for wanting to be there for Kamdyn but unless there is any reason not to, and it does not appear there is, that child will go to his bio dad if she can't be found. He has the parental right. Jmo though.

OOooh okay. I thought I had heard 2 miles but then the articles I found said 15.

So @kdg411 I was not correct. Not 15 miles, closer to 2 miles. But yeah I still don't think he would have wandered that far without someone seeing him.
In speculation.... if she was followed and abducted, I could imagine her begging her abductor(s) to leave her child and agreeing to do anything to protect him. Perhaps she knew a toddler would be spotted quickly wandering alone and felt it was a more safe alternative than him being in the hands of her abductor(s).
Prayers that she is okay :praying:

The middle of the night? Now this is her father and he lives in Ohio? Just trying to keep things straight because the brother's name is Curtis as well isn't it? Which would not be unusual but is confusing as he lives in Alabama I believe.

I give the family credit for wanting to be there for Kamdyn but unless there is any reason not to, and it does not appear there is, that child will go to his bio dad if she can't be found. He has the parental right. Jmo though.
No, not necessarily. Bio dad's name isn't on the birth certificate.

In speculation.... if she was followed and abducted, I could imagine her begging her abductor(s) to leave her child and agreeing to do anything to protect him. Perhaps she knew a toddler would be spotted quickly wandering alone and felt it was a more safe alternative than him being in the hands of her abductor(s).
Prayers that she is okay :praying:
A lot of people or speculation, especially in the beginning, seemed to lean towards that, that she convinced a perp or had a chance herself to get the child free and away from the situation, if not herself, and did so...

No, not necessarily. Bio dad's name isn't on the birth certificate.
True and every state is different and laws can be nitpicky but the one on the birth certificate was never married to her either and there seems to be a consensus that the bio dad knew he was the dad at a certain point anyhow, as did everyone else. You do have a good point though, there is someone else on the birth certificate. Could create some red tape issues and time to straighten out if nothing else... And then no one knows if she is alive and well or not. I still think he is more likely to receive the child, if clearly not involved in her disappearance, than her family members. The one on the birth certificate while probably meant well at the time with an intent to be together with her and the child forever, seems to have no interest in the child or in having the child.

You do make me realize though, yeah, they may have a bit of a big mess here, at least legally, red tape, etc...

I would hope they at least let the child spend time with those they can determine he knows and is used to seeing, even if it is WHILE in the presence of supervision or foster parents, just for his sake... :(

He was said to have kept in contact with her though 🤔 And he has pics with Kamdyn.. which leads me to believe that he was involved to some extent..
In 1 of the articles posted he stated that his relationship with Leila was a one night thing. Regardless, I hope someone in the family will be able to get this child out of the system and soon.

LE probably has subpoena's out for her social media which might help in this case especially.

In 1 of the articles posted he stated that his relationship with Leila was a one night thing. Regardless, I hope someone in the family will be able to get this child out of the system and soon.

LE probably has subpoena's out for her social media which might help in this case especially.

Not that it means anything either, but he is quite a bit older than Leila. She was clearly of age at least when she got pregnant but he was no youngster as she was just a very young woman...

It sticks out to me that in the two other places I have posted here that have a bit of info, a lot of the info seems to come from him so he seemed to have more contact with her and knowledge of what was going on with her recently than her family. That is not a knock on anyone, just an observation. That could show he was stepping up and she was leaning on him some or they were friendly or it could be looked at he was almost the last to hear from her before she disappeared and the one that could not reach her and tried on Sunday...

Again, no judgments, just observations. I guess they have reason to be careful with the care of this child, but I do feel badly for Kamdyn and would hope again that at least ones they can determine he "knows" and is used to could spend some time with him even supervised so he can have some "norm" being he does not have his mother.

Not sure why I am posting this since it is just almost entirely a repeat of things already in other articles, however, it does say they think she may have met someone she was communicating with online and that the person may have sent her money. This does match up with the somewhat odd text in the one site I posted. It also rings bells of the early rumors that she was kidnapped but managed to get Kamdyn free...

This is one of two pics posted on the Hollywood PD remarks area under their post. Since it was posted publicly, I assume there is no problem sharing it... Can anyone make out the other street name? Not Hollywood but the other one... I am not great with pictures... It is clearly up on a trailer or so it looks...

This is one of two pics posted on the Hollywood PD remarks area under their post. Since it was posted publicly, I assume there is no problem sharing it... Can anyone make out the other street name? Not Hollywood but the other one... I am not great with pictures... It is clearly up on a trailer or so it looks...

Hollywood BLVD & S Park Rd

‘I'm Searching for You': Dad of Mother Who Vanished in South Florida Holding Out Hope

The father of a young mother who disappeared in South Florida is holding out hope after he says she may have met a man online shortly before she vanished.

It's been more than a week since the disappearance of Leila Cavett. The search for the 21-year-old began on July 26, after her 2-year-old son Kamdyn, was found wandering alone in the parking lot of a Miramar apartment complex wearing nothing but a shirt and diaper.

Curtis Cavett, her father, said that after searching through her social media, he believes she met a man through an online dating website and could have been in South Florida to meet him. She had previously been living in Georgia and has family in Alabama.

“It’s on her Facebook. I have to meet with detectives tomorrow so we can see if we can go into her messages on her Facebook," Curtis Cavett said Monday.

He questioned how the child and truck were dropped off and said he's working with detectives following any leads but is concerned she may have been abducted.

"I want to let her know, 'listen, I love you. I’m here on the ground, me and my team is here searching for you,'" Curtis Cavett said. "We’re not gonna stop until we get some answers or justice. We want people to be vigilant of their surroundings.”

Kamdyn Cavett remained in child protective custody.

Boy found in Miramar will finally see his family, and the FBI involved in search for his mom

After seeing so many unfamiliar faces — police offers, social workers, foster parents — the 2-year-old found alone in Miramar last week will be excited to finally see his family Wednesday, Gina Lewis, an aunt, said Tuesday.

While police, and most recently the FBI, continued the search for Kamdyn’s mother, 21-year-old Leila Cavett, his aunts, uncle and grandmother hired a lawyer to begin a custody battle that could last months.

“They are only allowing Zoom calls,” Lewis said, “but I think he’ll be excited to see everybody.”

The family’s Chicago-based lawyer, Javaron D. Buckley Sr., said the judge granted the family visitation without a hearing Tuesday. But Buckely predicts that getting the boy back home to his family won’t be as quick.

“It will be a while before anybody can get custody of Kamdyn because there are multiple states involved: Florida, Georgia and Alabama,” Buckley explained.

On Aug. 14, Buckley will return to court to begin the legal process for custody, which he said will certainly run into more legal complications involving the man listed as Kamdyn’s “legal father” on Kamdyn’s birth certificate, Levi Arnol.

Daniel Lee West, 35, came forward last week as the biological father and tried claiming custody of Kamdyn himself. The Florida Department of Children and Families told him he might have to take a DNA test to prove that he is the father, he told the Miami Herald last Wednesday.

He has since joined the family in Florida, according to Buckley. However, it was unclear whether he had taken the DNA test Tuesday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back