SC KRYSTAL ANDERSON: Missing from Wagener, SC - 20 August 2022 - Age 30 *ARREST*

FcYEr4BXoAECgV0.jpg
COLUMBIA, S.C. — The family of a Midlands woman is pleading for answers after she went missing from her Aiken County home weeks ago. Krystal Anderson, a Columbia native, disappeared on August. 20.

The search has been an emotional one, her sister Shadira Smothers said, as the investigation stretches beyond its second week.

For some reason, I'm unable to copy and paste the article that I've linked below, but it has a lot more details in it that seem very concerning! I saw a tweet about this case and have to say, I'm surprised I haven't heard more about it, given the alleged circumstances.

Media link: Krystal Anderson has been MISSING from #SouthCarolina since August of 2022 under suspicious circumstances! WHERE IS KRYSTAL?

“We found out that she was missing from her oldest child’s father who suspected something was wrong because she never showed up to get her son for school,” said Anderson’s sister, Shadira Smothers. “I then received a call from her job and the school became worried.”

Smothers said she’d been told by her nephew that Anderson disappeared after an argument with boyfriend Tony Berry, outside on Saturday night.

“Tony came back in the house,” Smothers said. “No one has seen her since. Tony claimed she ran off. The school, her job, family, and friends know she would never abandon her four children.”

A Wagener police officer told deputies he’d spoken with several people, including to Berry by phone, about Anderson. The officer said Berry stated she had not been at the residence since Sunday and had left the children with him.

Three of the kids went to school on Monday but not Tuesday, according to deputies. By Wednesday, Sumter had found them and taken them to the sheriff’s headquarters.

Berry didn’t wish to report Anderson as missing and told an officer “Krystal often does this,” a deputy wrote in an incident report.

Smothers said the location of Berry is unknown now, too.

When Aiken County deputies have tried to call Anderson and Berry, the calls have gone directly to voice mail.

By Hallie Turner
Published: Sep. 28, 2022 at 11:18 AM EDT

Breaking​

The Aiken County Sheriff’s Office just issued this statement about missing mother Krystal Anderson:

Krystal C. Anderson, a mother of four (4), was reported missing by her family on August 23rd where they have not heard from her. Since the start of this investigation, it was believed that Krystal was in the company of Tony Lee Berry at her home on Seivern Road in Wagener. Krystal is approximately 4′11″ tall, 106 lbs, with black hair and hazel eyes. Results in this investigation has led investigators to obtaining an arrest warrant for Berry in relation to the disappearance of Krystal. Berry is currently wanted for Kidnapping. Community assistance is important with any investigation. We ask that if anyone has any information on the whereabouts of Berry or Krystal Anderson, we encourage them to contact the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office at (803) 648-6811. You can provide information anonymously through Midlands Crime Stoppers. Your tip could earn you a cash reward of up to $1,000 for information leading to the arrest of the person(s) responsible for any crime.

Tony Lee Berry

Tony Lee Berry(Contributed)

Man wanted in connection to missing Wagener woman in custody​

A man connected to a Wagener woman who has been missing for more than a month is in custody.

Man arrested after warrant in connection to missing Wagener woman​

The Aiken County Sheriff's Office says Tony Berry was arrested by the West Columbia Police Department Wednesday night. Authorities say Berry will be held pending his transfer to the Aiken County Detention Center.

Man wanted in connection to missing Wagener woman in custody​

A man connected to a Wagener woman who has been missing for more than a month is in custody.

Man arrested after warrant in connection to missing Wagener woman​

The Aiken County Sheriff's Office says Tony Berry was arrested by the West Columbia Police Department Wednesday night. Authorities say Berry will be held pending his transfer to the Aiken County Detention Center.
Glad they got him! Now I hope they get somewhere.

Bianca Moorman, Aiken Standard, S.C.
Mon, October 3, 2022 at 7:54 PM

Oct. 3—A man arrested and charged with kidnapping in the disappearance of a Wagener woman was denied bond Friday.

Tony Lee Berry, 49, of Wagener was denied bond in relation to the disappearance of Krystal Channel Anderson, 30, of Wagener, according to Aiken Central Bond Court.

Berry has been arrested and charged with kidnapping in relation to Anderson's disappearance.

Family seeks answers for missing Aiken County mother​

A man accused of kidnapping a Wagener woman now sits behind bars without bond. The Lexington County Sheriff’s Office arrested 49-year-old Tony Berry on September 29. Berry is accused of kidnapping Krystal Anderson. Authorities believe Anderson was with Berry when she disappeared from her home on Seivern Road. Her family reported her missing on August 23. Despite an arrest, Anderson has not yet been found.

Anderson's family feels the Aiken County Sheriff's Office initially brushed off her disappearance. The family knows time is of the essence and wants to see more from investigators.

“My thing is, people don’t just abandon their four children, their vehicle, their home and their job.” said Shadira Smothers, Krystal Anderson's Sister.

"If anyone knows something, I just pray that you find a soft spot in your heart to say something. This could be anybody’s family member. Krystal is not the first missing person, and she won’t be the last.” said Smothers.

A $10,000 reward is being offered for information on Anderson. If you know something, contact the Aiken County Sheriff's Office.

By Hallie Turner
Published: Dec. 12, 2022 at 11:05 PM EST

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) - The family of a missing mom from Aiken may start to get some closure.

In court on Monday, they learned the state is moving forward with murder and arson charges, in addition to kidnapping.

In August, Krystal Anderson was reported missing from her home in Aiken County. Since then, her boyfriend, Tony Berry, was arrested and charged with her disappearance.

The judge denied Berry’s bond again.

<snip>
The arson charge is connected to a car deputies found burned in Newberry County related to the case.

By Hallie Turner
Published: Dec. 12, 2022 at 11:05 PM EST

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) - The family of a missing mom from Aiken may start to get some closure.

In court on Monday, they learned the state is moving forward with murder and arson charges, in addition to kidnapping.

In August, Krystal Anderson was reported missing from her home in Aiken County. Since then, her boyfriend, Tony Berry, was arrested and charged with her disappearance.

The judge denied Berry’s bond again.

<snip>
The arson charge is connected to a car deputies found burned in Newberry County related to the case.
Another boyfriend.

by: D.V. Wise
Posted: Dec 15, 2022 / 12:17 PM EST
Updated: Dec 15, 2022 / 12:20 PM EST

AIKEN COUNTY, S.C. (WJBF)Tony Lee Berry’s 23-year-old son, Darius Berry, was arrested Thursday morning by Aiken County Sheriff’s Office.

Darius has been charged with Accessory After the Fact in the disappearance and murder of Krystal Anderson, a missing mother of four from Wagener who was dating the older Berry and disappeared in August.

Slain woman’s sister says suspect’s son had her fooled​

It’s been a long road for the family of Krystal Anderson, an Aiken County mother who’s been missing since August.

Now investigators believe she is dead. Her boyfriend Tony Berry was arrested and charged with murder and kidnapping, while his son Darius this week was arrested on a charge of accessory to murder after the fact.

Authorities believe Tony Berry killed Anderson on Aug. 20 and stuffed her body into the trunk of his car. Authorities believe Darius helped his dad conceal the evidence by burning the car in Newberry County on Aug. 28.

When all of this started and Anderson was thought to have been kidnapped, her sister Shadira Smothers was leaning on family members like Darius for any leads on where Anderson might have been.

She never imagined he may be connected to it all.

“I’m sitting here like, ‘OK, well, you know, this, this sounds like he really is innocent.’ And then a day later, I find out that he’s arrested and tied into it, which my gut told me from the beginning,” she said.

She’s referring to messages sent by Darius this week on the day his father would be charged with Anderson’s murder.

When Darius was arrested the next day, Smothers was speechless

“I was completely shocked because, like I said, like, the day that Tony received the murder charge. He inbox me and, and was just telling me that you know, his prayers was with me and, you know, he hoped my family gets the closure that they deserve,” she said.

She said she’d been receiving messages from Darius since Anderson disappeared.

She said Darius’ shared theories on Anderson’s whereabouts, how his father allegedly harmed her, the reason behind the burned car and where her body might be.

“I think throughout the process, he started realizing the person that his father really was,” she said. “He started believing the things that people were saying that his father has done to other victims. But at that point, it was too late. It was too late, whatever was done was already done.”

Smothers says she wanted to believe he was sincere

“My heart was believing that, hey, Darius just got caught up in something that his father did. You know, this kid, maybe he really didn’t have anything to do with it. You know, he started being sincere. That’s what I thought,” she said. “And it turned out that I was misled the whole time by him.”

Slain woman’s sister says suspect’s son had her fooled​

It’s been a long road for the family of Krystal Anderson, an Aiken County mother who’s been missing since August.

Now investigators believe she is dead. Her boyfriend Tony Berry was arrested and charged with murder and kidnapping, while his son Darius this week was arrested on a charge of accessory to murder after the fact.

Authorities believe Tony Berry killed Anderson on Aug. 20 and stuffed her body into the trunk of his car. Authorities believe Darius helped his dad conceal the evidence by burning the car in Newberry County on Aug. 28.

When all of this started and Anderson was thought to have been kidnapped, her sister Shadira Smothers was leaning on family members like Darius for any leads on where Anderson might have been.

She never imagined he may be connected to it all.

“I’m sitting here like, ‘OK, well, you know, this, this sounds like he really is innocent.’ And then a day later, I find out that he’s arrested and tied into it, which my gut told me from the beginning,” she said.

She’s referring to messages sent by Darius this week on the day his father would be charged with Anderson’s murder.

When Darius was arrested the next day, Smothers was speechless

“I was completely shocked because, like I said, like, the day that Tony received the murder charge. He inbox me and, and was just telling me that you know, his prayers was with me and, you know, he hoped my family gets the closure that they deserve,” she said.

She said she’d been receiving messages from Darius since Anderson disappeared.

She said Darius’ shared theories on Anderson’s whereabouts, how his father allegedly harmed her, the reason behind the burned car and where her body might be.

“I think throughout the process, he started realizing the person that his father really was,” she said. “He started believing the things that people were saying that his father has done to other victims. But at that point, it was too late. It was too late, whatever was done was already done.”

Smothers says she wanted to believe he was sincere

“My heart was believing that, hey, Darius just got caught up in something that his father did. You know, this kid, maybe he really didn’t have anything to do with it. You know, he started being sincere. That’s what I thought,” she said. “And it turned out that I was misled the whole time by him.”
Son helped. That's great. Nice family values.

Deputies search for body of missing Aiken Co. mother of 4, following recent arrests
Aiken County deputies are looking for a missing piece of a critical puzzle.

Right now, a man is in jail charged with murder in the death of a mother of four.

But, authorities haven’t found the woman’s body since she vanished in August.

“We still got a lot of leg work to do on this investigation because it is still ongoing," explained Captain Eric Abdullah, Aiken County Sheriff's Office.

Captain Abdullah is talking to WACH FOX News about the challenging disappearance of Krystal Anderson, an Aiken County mother of four.

Abdullah gives the latest details about the search for Anderson's body.

We have searched in Newberry County and have come up empty at the moment we have still some other places that we need to look into.
The search comes just days after deputies charged Tony Berry with murder in the case.

According to arrest warrants, Berry had an argument with Anderson near her home on Seivern road in Wagener, three days before she disappeared.

Authorities say Berry was later seen putting her in the trunk of his 2007 Cadillac, Berry’s car was found burned up in Newberry County.

By Hallie Turner
Published: Apr. 26, 2023 at 6:15 PM EDT

WAGENER, S.C. (WRDW/WAGT) - It’s been eight months since an Aiken County mother disappeared.

Her ex-boyfriend and his son are now charged with her murder. We are learning the son charged with accessory to murder is no longer required to wear an ankle monitor.

“I don’t know what happened with Aiken County, but it’s like we fell through the cracks,” said Shadira Smothers, Anderson’s sister.

<snip>
The latest development in the case leaves the sister feeling one suspect is getting to walk freely now.

“I received a call from the solicitor. Well, first of all, the bond hearing was like two weeks ago, and we were given the impression that the judge will make a decision in one day. Here we are two weeks later,” she said.

In March, Darius requested a motion to amend his bond. In April, court documents show Darius told the judge he is not a danger to the community or a flight risk.

<snip>
He says he did not violate the terms of his bond, and he’s helping law enforcement in the investigation into his co-defendant by providing multiple statements since he was arrested in December. Darius is also expecting his first child in May and told the judge he couldn’t afford to pay for the ankle monitor.

“I think is a total slap in the face because we have experienced so many financial hardships. I feel as though $75 a week should actually go to my sister’s children. But I don’t have that type of control. For him to even have a choice is very disappointing,” said Smothers.

And that they will never get the punishment they deserve.

“By them, allowing this, Krystal is not going to be the last person that will be murdered by the hands of an abuser. There are no real consequences for what they’re doing,” she said.

<snip>
Darius is to return to Orangeburg County where he lives and is not allowed to be in Aiken County while on bond except for court appearances and meetings with his attorney.

The families of Krystal Anderson, a 30 year old mother of four, and 41-year-old mother of three, Deidra Reid are still distraught. Reid's family says it brought back terrible memories of what happened to their family member.

Shadira Smothers also knows the pain of dealing with a missing person in her family. She says she is experiencing what she calls a never-ending sadness she feels not knowing what happened to her sister Krystal Anderson.

"I Thought they say that time heals wounds," Shadira Smothers said. "But when you have a missing family member it just gets worse."

According to authorities Anderson vanished in August of 2022 after witnesses say she was seen being put in the trunk of her boyfriend Tony Berry's car.

That same car was later found burned in Newberry County and deputies say Berry bought several items that could be used to get rid of a body.

Right now, he’s charged with murder in Anderson’s death.

Smothers says it wasn't until she connected with Cleveland that things started to move forward in the case.

"They did not take it seriously, they just assumed she was just some young woman.... that she just would abandon four children, her new home and her car without contacting family," said Smothers.

These are the real stories of families of missing women who are struggling to keep hope alive and get closure. These families say they will be living a nightmare until justice is served and their loved ones are found.

Krystal Anderson’s family continues search 1 year after death​

A local family still grieving a year after a mother of four disappeared without a trace.

Krystal Anderson’s missing person’s case turned into a death investigation last August, but her body still hasn’t been found.

Anderson went missing, last seen outside her home in August 2022. Her boyfriend’s car was found burned in a wooded area, and her remains have yet to be found.

After we dug deeper and pressed Aiken County for answers, Anderson’s longtime boyfriend Tony Berry was arrested and charged with her disappearance. His son, Darius Berry, was arrested as an accessory to murder.

The family feels like this has been an injustice all along. A judge refused to set a bond for Tony. The judge did allow Darius to be out on bond with the condition he wear an ankle monitor.

Anderson’s family feels Tony nor his son cooperated with the investigation.

Anderson’s four children had just started the 2022 school year when investigators believe Berry kidnapped her.

Now they are starting school this year for the first time without her.

Meanwhile, investigators are still keeping hope alive, for any kind of development.

It all hinges on DNA testing. In the past few months, investigators swabbed Anderson’s sister, Shadira Smother, and their mother for DNA, to hopefully help identify Anderson’s remains if they’re found.

But even with testing and Tony Berry behind bars facing a murder charge, the family says the pain runs even deeper.

“People get whatever sentencing they get. It still doesn’t make the pain go away. To me, there’s no complete justice. It’s never going to bring back Krystal,” said Smother.

On August 20, the family will be hosting a balloon release and candlelight vigil in Columbia, S.C. in Anderson’s honor. News 12 plans to be there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back