KARISSA & BILLY FRETWELL: Oregon vs. Michael Wolfe for murder of mother & their son *GUILTY PLEA*

karissa.jpeg

A man accused of murdering a Salem mother and her toddler son is fighting for the dismissal of an aggravated murder charge — a change that would make him no longer eligible for the death penalty.

On Friday in Yamhill County Circuit Court, attorneys for Michael John Wolfe, 52, argued for dismissing the aggravated murder charge Wolfe faces for allegedly murdering 3-year-old William "Billy" Fretwell, his biological son.

One of the two aggravated murder charges Wolfe initially faced after Karissa Fretwell, 25, and Billy went missing in May was already reduced after a new law drastically narrowing the use of the death penalty went into effect in September.

Michael Wolfe, 52, appears in court as his attorneys argue for dismissing an aggravated murder charge he faces for allegedly murdering 3-year-old William "Billy" Fretwell, his biological son.

Previously, about 20 circumstances made a homicide qualify as aggravated murder, including murder for hire, murdering multiple people, torturing before killing, the murder of a child and murder during the course of a felony crime.

With Senate Bill 1013, Oregon legislators voted to limit these aggravating circumstances to only four:

• Terrorist killings of two or more people
  • The premeditated murder of police officers
  • Murder committed in a prison or jail by someone who was already convicted of murder
  • The premeditated murder of a child under the age of 14
The shift in the charge from aggravated murder to first-degree murder meant Wolfe would not face the death penalty if convicted of murdering Karissa.

But the aggravated murder charge for Billy's death remained in place following the amended indictment in October.

Much more at link: https://www.statesmanjournal.com/st...ly-fights-threat-of-death-penalty/2737327001/

The bodies of missing Oregon mom Karissa Fretwell and her 3-year-old son were found in a remote wooded area. Police had been searching for Fretwell, 25, and her son, Billy, when a family member discovered their Salem apartment unlocked, the television still on inside, and Fretwell’s glasses and credit card left behind. The state medical examiner determined that Karissa Fretwell died of a single gunshot to the head and ruled the death a homicide. Billy Fretwell’s cause of death has not been determined, according to authorities. Police had already arrested the boy’s father, Michael John Wolfe, 52, in connection with the disappearances. Wolfe was charged with aggravated murder and kidnapping in connection with the disappearances. Wolfe and Fretwell were in a child-support dispute prior to her disappearance. She had been awarded sole custody of their son, and Wolfe was ordered to pay $900 a month. Cellphone data placed Fretwell’s phone near Wolfe’s around the time of her disappearance, and video surveillance disputed Wolfe’s claim that he was at work during that time. He has denied any involvement.

The above is a summary of the case.

I want to follow as well. I agree. Old lecherous pig who killed his own child and stalked and terrified this woman in an attempt to both control her and not pay support imo. And then one has the Oregon law changes that may play into this case as mentioned too.

Court rules no death penalty for man accused of killing Karissa Fretwell, toddler son

The man accused of killing a Salem mother and her toddler son will no longer face the death penalty under a Yamhill County Court ruling issued Monday.

The lone aggravated murder charge against Michael John Wolfe was dismissed by Judge Cynthia Easterday after his attorneys argued over the constitutionality of the charge.

The aggravated murder charge for Karissa's death was dismissed and replaced with counts of first-degree murder and first-degree murder constituting domestic violence after Senate Bill 1013 became law last year.

Berry said Tuesday he has contacted the Oregon Department of Justice to appeal Easterday's ruling. If the appeal goes to the Oregon Supreme Court, it could delay the criminal case.

First-degree murder carries a sentence of life in prison with the possibility of parole after 30 years. But the court may sentence a murderer to life without the possibility of parole if the judge states the reasons for imposing a true life sentence.

Wolfe's next hearing is scheduled for May 4 at 2:30 p.m.

He remains in Yamhill County Jail, where he is being held without bail.

I'm glad to know they're still looking at life in prison, at least! The death penalty in Oregon hasn't meant anything for decades so it didn't really matter.

I was just scared that he was going to get 25 years with the way things have been talked about here lately.

Michael Wolfe, the man accused of killing his 3-year-old son and the boy’s mother, is no longer charged with aggravated murder in the boy's death. A Yamhill County judge dismissed the charge on Tuesday, however, the state is now appealing to the Oregon Supreme Court to overturn the ruling.

Michael Wolfe, the man accused of killing his 3-year-old son and the boy’s mother, is no longer charged with aggravated murder in the boy's death. A Yamhill County judge dismissed the charge on Tuesday, however, the state is now appealing to the Oregon Supreme Court to overturn the ruling.

I saw this this morning. Ughhhh.
I mean, on the positive side, at least he's still charged with first degree murder for both.

Per their new guidelines, "pre-meditated murder of a child under the age of 14" would still get him aggravated murder in my book. Doesn't this pos have a court date this month?
Does he? I know this case fairly well but it gets so quiet I have to remind myself and it is not one that is really focused on in the news or even by Youtubers. I wish it was quite honestly.

@Kimster sure knows far more about the changes and laws and the politics and such in Oregon which I know play into this case or some sure feel it does. I know I do.

Per their new guidelines, "pre-meditated murder of a child under the age of 14" would still get him aggravated murder in my book. Doesn't this pos have a court date this month?

Since the pandemic, I haven't heard much about this case around here. Last I heard, they were still going to be able to charge him for premeditated murder for one of them, and I think you might be right, it might be because of his son.

I was following this case in a previous "life" when they first found their bodies. He's slimy. 🐍
I am so sorry this girl ever encountered this freak. I want justice for all cases but this is one I really want to see it for in her case and that of her child. I refuse to call Billy their child as he cared less as his killer...

Been out of the loop for a bit so memory is not clear, is he still married and is he still in jail? I believe both are true aren't they?

If I was his wife, I would be long gone although she apparently knew of some things as I recall...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back