CA JULIAN SANDS: Missing from Mount Baldy, CA - 13 January 2023 - Age 65 - Hollywood actor *Found Deceased*

19xp-sands-01-phlk-articleLarge.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

By Zoe Delaney
Showbiz Reporter
07:41, 20 Jan 2023

Police have revealed they believe Julian Sands was still on the move twos days after going missing 'in an extremely dangerous mountain range', thanks to phone pings obtained by officers

Julian Sands: Police resume air search for missing British actor​

Authorities in California have resumed the air search for British actor Julian Sands, who disappeared last Friday while hiking.

But the ground search for Mr Sands remains on pause due to poor road conditions.

The British actor was last seen a week ago in the Baldy Bowl area of the San Gabriel Mountains, north of Los Angeles.

Police said they had found his car near where he was reported missing.

"There has been no new update or witness information about his whereabouts since then," Gloria Huerta, Public Information Officer for the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department told the BBC on Friday.

He was reported missing at about 19:30 local time on Friday 13 January.

"The air search is being resumed, but we have not been able to resume a ground search yet due to icy conditions and a threat of avalanches," said Ms Huerta.

Police had previously said that they plan to continue looking for Mr Sands, and there is "no hard deadline" for ending their search mission.

They initially said phone pings appeared to show he was on the move two days after he was reported missing. They later clarified that these alerts were delayed and showed his movements on the day he went missing.

Police said they had responded to 14 calls from Mount San Antonio, known to locals as Mount Baldy, in the last four weeks and had warned hikers to "stay away" from that area.

"It is extremely dangerous and even experienced hikers are getting in trouble," police said. They are also searching for another hiker, an American, who went missing in the same mountains.

Last week, a mother of four whom friends described as an experienced hiker died after sliding more than 500ft down Mount Baldy.

Fellow actors have taken to social media to express their concern for Mr Sands' well-being, and his family has assisted authorities in their search.

Mr Sands has spoken previously about his love for hiking and mountain climbing, and said in 2020 he was happiest "close to a mountain summit on a glorious cold morning".

(Mt. Baldy summit)
1200x0.jpg

Julian Sands – live: British actor still missing after 10 days as dangerous weather hampers search​

A weather warning of strong winds and gusts of up to 70mph has been issued, as the search for missing British actor Julian Sands enters its 10th day.

On Monday 23 January, the National Weather Service reported high winds affecting the Santa Ana mountain region and San Bernandino, close to the San Gabriel mountains where Sands is believed to have gone missing.

An alert warned of possible power outages, travel disruption and a risk of falling trees: “The strongest winds will be along the south-facing slopes and foothill areas, below the Morongo Pass, and through and below the Santa Ana Mountain canyons,” the report said.

On Friday, ground crews were forced to halt the search for Sands due to the avalanche risk in the area.

“The air search is being resumed, but we have not been able to resume a ground search yet due to icy conditions and a threat of avalanches,” said Gloria Huerta, Public Information Officer for the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.

The chances of him being alive are slim. Going by yourself is a bad idea. So sad. I hope he didn't or isn't suffering. You would know no one is around to help. How awful.

The chances of him being alive are slim. Going by yourself is a bad idea. So sad. I hope he didn't or isn't suffering. You would know no one is around to help. How awful.
Many people hike alone all the time. Not everyone is lucky enough to have someone that shares their passion. If it's either go alone, or don't go...I'm going alone.
That being said, having a personal locator beacon and/or satellite communication is essential, as is an avalanche beacon in avalanche territory. An avalanche beacon won't do much good if you're alone, but it may make it easier to find you. A PLB won't do much good if an avalanche takes you out suddenly, but it is great for most other situations, such as being lost or injured.

Many people hike alone all the time. Not everyone is lucky enough to have someone that shares their passion. If it's either go alone, or don't go...I'm going alone.
That being said, having a personal locator beacon and/or satellite communication is essential, as is an avalanche beacon in avalanche territory. An avalanche beacon won't do much good if you're alone, but it may make it easier to find you. A PLB won't do much good if an avalanche takes you out suddenly, but it is great for most other situations, such as being lost or injured.
I know they do. I know it's hard to find someone who shares the passion.i don't know if there are groups or clubs for that. It just seems so dangerous. I worry about you going alone. And I know you're experienced.

I know they do. I know it's hard to find someone who shares the passion.i don't know if there are groups or clubs for that. It just seems so dangerous. I worry about you going alone. And I know you're experienced.
OT .. a lot of people prefer the solo aspect for self reflection/meditation. In my experience it's running. When Mollie Tibbetts was abducted & murdered in a small Iowa town my comfort disappeared. There are many reasons we could debate about 'why' someone would choose a solo hike however there really isn't a right/wrong answer; very subjective.

In this particular case, my hope is Mr. Sands has simply lost his way or is choosing to remain off grid.

The 65-year-old Sands, a resident of North Hollywood, is an experienced hiker and has climbed in the Andes and the Swiss Alps. He has appeared in such films as Warlock, Ocean’s Thirteen, The Killing Fields, A Room with a View, Arachnophobia and Leaving Las Vegas.

The actor told The Guardian in 2020 that he was happiest when “close to a mountain summit on a cold morning” and had aspirations of climbing “a remote peak in the high Himalayas, such as Makalu.” He said the closest he had ever come to dying was “In the early 90s, in the Andes, caught in an atrocious storm above 20,000ft with three others. We were all in a very bad way. Some guys close to us perished; we were lucky.”

OT .. a lot of people prefer the solo aspect for self reflection/meditation. In my experience it's running. When Mollie Tibbetts was abducted & murdered in a small Iowa town my comfort disappeared. There are many reasons we could debate about 'why' someone would choose a solo hike however there really isn't a right/wrong answer; very subjective.

In this particular case, my hope is Mr. Sands has simply lost his way or is choosing to remain off grid.

The 65-year-old Sands, a resident of North Hollywood, is an experienced hiker and has climbed in the Andes and the Swiss Alps. He has appeared in such films as Warlock, Ocean’s Thirteen, The Killing Fields, A Room with a View, Arachnophobia and Leaving Las Vegas.

The actor told The Guardian in 2020 that he was happiest when “close to a mountain summit on a cold morning” and had aspirations of climbing “a remote peak in the high Himalayas, such as Makalu.” He said the closest he had ever come to dying was “In the early 90s, in the Andes, caught in an atrocious storm above 20,000ft with three others. We were all in a very bad way. Some guys close to us perished; we were lucky.”
I've learned that we can't stop doing everything we love to do just because of some minuscule percentage that something "might" happen.

Julian Sands' family praise 'heroic' rescue effort as search for actor enters 11th day​

Julian Sands' family have praised the "heroic" efforts of search teams braving "difficult conditions" to try to find the missing actor.

The 65-year-old star was last seen in the Mount Baldy area of California, and as the search entered its 11th day the 'Room with a View' actor's family admitted they have been "deeply touched" by the love and support they have received.

They said in a statement: "Our heartfelt thanks to the compassionate members of the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department who are coordinating the search for our beloved Julian, not least the heroic search teams listed below who are braving difficult conditions on the ground and in the air to bring Julian home.

"We are deeply touched by the outpouring of love and support."

The San Bernardino Sheriff's Department shared the statement, and added: "As we enter day 11 of the search for Julian Sands on Mt. Baldy, we are reminded of the sheer determination and selflessness of all of the people who have aided in this search. We will continue to utilize the resources available to us. (sic)"

Deputies Search for Second Hiker on Same Mountain Where Julian Sands Disappeared​

A second search for a missing hiker is underway on Mt. Baldy, where actor Julian Sands was reported missing earlier this month.

On Sunday, the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department received the report of the second missing hiker on the snow-covered mountain northeast of Los Angeles. Jin Chung, a 75-year-old North Hollywood man, was last seen around 6 a.m. on Sunday, the sheriff's department said.

Deputies Search for Second Hiker on Same Mountain Where Julian Sands Disappeared​

A second search for a missing hiker is underway on Mt. Baldy, where actor Julian Sands was reported missing earlier this month.

On Sunday, the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department received the report of the second missing hiker on the snow-covered mountain northeast of Los Angeles. Jin Chung, a 75-year-old North Hollywood man, was last seen around 6 a.m. on Sunday, the sheriff's department said.
And people were getting on my case because I voiced concern about going alone. Now 2 people are missing that went alone.

Search for missing actor Julian Sands continues by air, California sheriff says
A search for missing British actor Julian Sands in treacherous conditions on Mount Baldy will continue by air only, a California sheriff’s department reported.

After extensive ground and air searches, efforts to find Sands will continue by air only, the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department reported on Twitter.

A California Highway Patrol helicopter based in Auburn, equipped with a special device that can detect electronics and credit cards, will be utilized, the post said. Rescuers hope the device will help pinpoint an area for additional searches.

Search for missing actor Julian Sands continues by air, California sheriff says
A search for missing British actor Julian Sands in treacherous conditions on Mount Baldy will continue by air only, a California sheriff’s department reported.

After extensive ground and air searches, efforts to find Sands will continue by air only, the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department reported on Twitter.

A California Highway Patrol helicopter based in Auburn, equipped with a special device that can detect electronics and credit cards, will be utilized, the post said. Rescuers hope the device will help pinpoint an area for additional searches.
Did not know a device that can detect credit cards was available :thinking: It must be the ones that have the tap feature on them. Electronics I can understand though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back