GEORGE FLOYD: Man killed, 4 Minneapolis Officers Fired - MN vs Derek Chauvin *GUILTY*

1660790683202.png
(CNN)Four Minneapolis police officers have been fired for their involvement in the death of a black man who was held down with a knee as he protested that he couldn't breathe, officials said Tuesday.

The FBI is investigating the incident, which drew widespread condemnation of the officers after a video showing part of the encounter circulated on social media.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so you think, based on his actions in this video, that Thao was deliberately aiding a 2nd degree murder. Wow.
From Tou Thao's charging documents in case you haven't seen them, and apparently you may not have.

"During this time, the defendant looked directly at how Chauvin was restraining Mr. Floyd, with Chauvin’s knee on Mr. Floyd’s neck area, and observed that the three officers had Mr. Floyd subdued in this manner. The defendant then became concerned about a number of citizens who had gathered and were watching the officers subdue Mr. Floyd, and potential traffic concerns, and so the defendant stood between those citizens and the three officers 3 27-CR-20-12949 Filed in District Court State of Minnesota 6/3/2020 restraining Mr. Floyd. When one citizen stepped off the curb, imploring Chauvin to get off of Mr. Floyd, the defendant put his hands on the citizen to keep him back."

I don't know what you consider aiding or abetting but it fits in my opinion and it was obvious on video how they moved to block view from cameras, etc.

F/Y/I. All the docs are here on all, read if you like. Let's also remember this is an unapproved hold and they knew it. And knew it for what? Something like at least 9 long minutes...???

You can also find the documents at the MN courts website.

I also said it is up to a jury, that's our system. It is up to the prosecutor to decide if there is enough for charges, the judge to decide whether there is enough to continue and a jury to convict or acquit. They may well think or decide it fits manslaughter rather than 2nd degree, who knows. That's our system. It isn't up to me or to you. I am however entitled to my opinion based on the facts. Note: I did not cite news articles but court documents that have the video and more to back them up. Civilian video even.

Thao was no rookie, he knew the rules and he helped hide what was going on as it was being filmed. What do you call it? Enabling? Thomas Lane, the rookie, was the only one who attempted to do the right thing or say something. I have no sympathy for Thao. He knew the rules and what was approved and okay and what was not and this hold was NOT allowed. So did Chauvin. If rookie Thomas Lane knew it, then veteran LE knew and Thao knew to try to hide it so it could continue.

Jmo.

"Police officers are trained that this type of restraint with a subject in a prone position is inherently dangerous"

Also from the charging documents as we have seen before... So they all knew it or were not trained... The Mpls PD does not train? The rookie seemed to know... And almost 3 minutes went by after he was non-responsive... What exactly was the goal here...? I would think to get him compliant no....? Well they had that and still it continued... And continued...

From Tou Thao's charging documents in case you haven't seen them, and apparently you may not have.
Of course I've seen them, but I was interested in your independent evaluation of the video, one not colored by the narrative offered in the charging documents. Thao's attention was largely to the crowd gathering on the sidewalk. The last time his bodycam was focused on Floyd, he was still breathing, talking and moving. There was certainly no indication that a murder was taking place.
Let's also remember this is an unapproved hold and they knew it.
What source are you relying on when you claim this was an "unapproved hold and they knew it"? Can you give me your source for that?
I also said it is up to a jury, that's our system. It is up to the prosecutor to decide if there is enough for charges, the judge to decide whether there is enough to continue and a jury to convict or acquit. They may well think or decide it fits manslaughter rather than 2nd degree, who knows. That's our system. It isn't up to me or to you.
Everyone here knows how the system works, GB. Not sure why you felt the need to state it to begin with, and then repeat it. You're like a master of the obvious... This forum exists so that we can discuss and share our opinions outside of the system.
Thao was no rookie, he knew the rules and he helped hide what was going on as it was being filmed. What do you call it? Enabling? Thomas Lane, the rookie, was the only one who attempted to do the right thing or say something. I have no sympathy for Thao. He knew the rules and what was approved and okay and what was not and this hold was NOT allowed. So did Chauvin. If rookie Thomas Lane knew it, then veteran LE knew and Thao knew to try to hide it so it could continue.

Jmo.
At what minute and second in that video do you see Thao trying to hide anything? Tell us, please. I could be wrong, and I'll watch it again, but I don't see him hiding anything. And again, cite me your source that this hold was unapproved.

Of course I've seen them, but I was interested in your independent evaluation of the video, one not colored by the narrative offered in the charging documents. Thao's attention was largely to the crowd gathering on the sidewalk. The last time his bodycam was focused on Floyd, he was still breathing, talking and moving. There was certainly no indication that a murder was taking place.What source are you relying on when you claim this was an "unapproved hold and they knew it"? Can you give me your source for that?Everyone here knows how the system works, GB. Not sure why you felt the need to state it to begin with, and then repeat it. You're like a master of the obvious... This forum exists so that we can discuss and share our opinions outside of the system. At what minute and second in that video do you see Thao trying to hide anything? Tell us, please. I could be wrong, and I'll watch it again, but I don't see him hiding anything. And again, cite me your source that this hold was unapproved.
Sorry, I am not going to go research for you. Why don't you supply me with using a neck hold like that for nine minutes, almost three past when he quit responding and for most of the time after taken down and in cuffs, what was the need at that point. And show me the training manual for that? Gee, not like this was some one minute thing until they had control that FOUR cops were part of and/or watched or let happen against one downed man...

Watch all the videos... Watch this one more than once... Watch the vehicles even be moved to block views...

Coming from someone who in another thread said almost all LE are dirty and crooked, you certainly change your tune, goodness sakes.

I am just am not into playing this game with you, very sorry. :( Maybe on your other account with someone else you might do better... Sorry Master. Signed Jeannie, heading back into my bottle now where I belong...

Have a good one, I really don't plan on responding again. There is no point. As I said in Epstein's thread repeatedly. Why? 🤷‍♀️ Rest assured though, no offense and at times it has been humorous.

Sorry, I am not going to go research for you. Why don't you supply me with using a neck hold like that for nine minutes, almost three past when he quit responding and for most of the time after taken down and in cuffs, what was the need at that point. And show me the training manual for that? Gee, not like this was some one minute thing until they had control that FOUR cops were part of and/or watched or let happen against one downed man...

Watch all the videos... Watch this one more than once... Watch the vehicles even be moved to block views...

Coming from someone who in another thread said almost all LE are dirty and crooked, you certainly change your tune, goodness sakes.

I am just am not into playing this game with you, very sorry. :( Maybe on your other account with someone else you might do better... Sorry Master. Signed Jeannie, heading back into my bottle now where I belong...

Have a good one, I really don't plan on responding again. There is no point. As I said in Epstein's thread repeatedly. Why? 🤷‍♀️ Rest assured though, no offense and at times it has been humorous.
I'm not asking you to go research anything for me. It's your claim, not mine. You made the claim that the hold used by these officers was "unapproved". Maybe that's actually true, I'm just asking you to explain why you think that. Where did you get that information?

I'm not playing any kind of game with you, and it's unfortunate that you think this might be any sort of game. It isn't. These are real men, with real lives, with real families, and the consequences they face are certainly real.

Darned right there are real life consequences. There is a man dead that is as real life consequence as one can get!! But the poor other guys. Who cares, he is dead, can't fix it why should their lives be affected???? Do some never feel for the dead one?? I won't even deny wrong choices may have been made by the victim but the consequences and reaction????

I won't be on the jury, nor will anyone else here, I am sure. It is up to our system and the jury. He is dead! Sympathy for those involved or those non-doers more than a victim? Wow!! Do some even care?? The citizens had more guts than the officers and the officers could have done the same to them and they risked saying something throughout... But not the officers except for Lane. That's sad, shows where the real guts are.

I don't know what is deserved but that is our system and people are upset about what happened. We also have 3 officers that managed to bail out on what was it $750,000 in bail? Could most other people do that? Who paid that...?

Maybe the three other than Chauvin don't deserve long term sentences, I don't know, but they must have been complicit or more chicken sh*t to say something than citizens! They sure shouldn't be cops. AND again, they had less nerve to say a word or do a thing other than join in and help cover it... Again a jury can decide. They at least can fight it, THEY are alive, have a chance and Floyd does not. He is dead. If one of them deserves a break it would be Lane.

I am done because this is not my cup of tea anyhow, I seem to be the target here and no one else engages so I will just add this last comment that these cases are not my cup of tea, they have plenty of attention, plenty of politicians, protests, ramifications, and you name it. I am more into the ones that do not get the attention they deserve. I care but this one is covered nationally with attention. Others get no attention.

The three other cops do have something and someone to blame--his name is Chauvin... And perhaps the overall Mpls system or perhaps a part of it... I also said previously, I don't envy their jobs nowadays and I would not choose such a job. It is just like a teacher, you had better be careful and know darned well what you are doing and have witnesses. I wouldn't go into that profession either nowadays.

The two rookies at minimum could have taken their badges off, laid them down and joined the crowd and called in an officer doing wrong.

If I were them, I would make the best deal I could, I honestly do not think at least Lane deserves what the rest do. Thao is not new and he was off on "lay off" for two years as well, I am sure there is some "pretty" reason for that. If Lane knew the hold for that long was not right, then Thao certainly knew...

I don't generally do the mass shootings or the killings that become a race thing and I think I will go back to that. I care, however, again they have many that do and I would rather spend my times on crimes that do not have that attention.

Just like Arbery, I don't get into whether a black man has a right to run in "someone's neighborhood" that thinks it is "THEIR" neighborhood...

Floyd was resisting arrest as far as I can see, and Arbery may have been up to no good hard to say. But the reactions? Neither one was endangering a SOUL or pushed it to deserving death.

Last post here. And jmo.

I actually came across this after a video in another case just prior to it:

Darned right there are real life consequences. There is a man dead that is as real life consequence as one can get!! But the poor other guys. Who cares, he is dead, can't fix it why should their lives be affected???? Do some never feel for the dead one?? I won't even deny wrong choices may have been made by the victim but the consequences and reaction????

I won't be on the jury, nor will anyone else here, I am sure. It is up to our system and the jury. He is dead! Sympathy for those involved or those non-doers more than a victim? Wow!! Do some even care?? The citizens had more guts than the officers and the officers could have done the same to them and they risked saying something throughout... But not the officers except for Lane. That's sad, shows where the real guts are.

I don't know what is deserved but that is our system and people are upset about what happened. We also have 3 officers that managed to bail out on what was it $750,000 in bail? Could most other people do that? Who paid that...?

Maybe the three other than Chauvin don't deserve long term sentences, I don't know, but they must have been complicit or more chicken sh*t to say something than citizens! They sure shouldn't be cops. AND again, they had less nerve to say a word or do a thing other than join in and help cover it... Again a jury can decide. They at least can fight it, THEY are alive, have a chance and Floyd does not. He is dead. If one of them deserves a break it would be Lane.

I am done because this is not my cup of tea anyhow, I seem to be the target here and no one else engages so I will just add this last comment that these cases are not my cup of tea, they have plenty of attention, plenty of politicians, protests, ramifications, and you name it. I am more into the ones that do not get the attention they deserve. I care but this one is covered nationally with attention. Others get no attention.

The three other cops do have something and someone to blame--his name is Chauvin... And perhaps the overall Mpls system or perhaps a part of it... I also said previously, I don't envy their jobs nowadays and I would not choose such a job. It is just like a teacher, you had better be careful and know darned well what you are doing and have witnesses. I wouldn't go into that profession either nowadays.

The two rookies at minimum could have taken their badges off, laid them down and joined the crowd and called in an officer doing wrong.

If I were them, I would make the best deal I could, I honestly do not think at least Lane deserves what the rest do. Thao is not new and he was off on "lay off" for two years as well, I am sure there is some "pretty" reason for that. If Lane knew the hold for that long was not right, then Thao certainly knew...

I don't generally do the mass shootings or the killings that become a race thing and I think I will go back to that. I care, however, again they have many that do and I would rather spend my times on crimes that do not have that attention.

Just like Arbery, I don't get into whether a black man has a right to run in "someone's neighborhood" that thinks it is "THEIR" neighborhood...

Floyd was resisting arrest as far as I can see, and Arbery may have been up to no good hard to say. But the reactions? Neither one was endangering a SOUL or pushed it to deserving death.

Last post here. And jmo.

I actually came across this after a video in another case just prior to it:

I am maybe not eloquent enough to be part of the discussion, but I am with you, gbear. Floyd didn't deserve this, all the other victims of racism didn't deserve death. Not in the US or anywhere around the world.

I am maybe not eloquent enough to be part of the discussion, but I am with you, gbear. Floyd didn't deserve this, all the other victims of racism didn't deserve death. Not in the US or anywhere around the world.
Thank you. I don't think every case is due to race. However, news and politics use them and pick them up and they get by far, for instance, more attention than some missing children. And more than that, I am not into someone who just wants to pick one part of something apart to argue. I love discussion however and learning about different areas both geographically and in thoughts.

But yes, Floyd was not a danger to anyone and he certainly was not after 9 minutes nor was he ever a danger prior to that. I mean I don't see anything to suggest he was whatsoever. He allegedlly passed a counterfeit bill at a gas station and now is dead. No high speed chase, no gun, no armed robbery... WTH?

No one needs to be particularly eloquent to participate in this discussion; everyone is welcome here. But what indication do you have that Floyd's death was due to "racism"? Keep in mind that two of the officers charged, including Thao, are "people of color". Are we to believe that if Floyd was White and had acted in exactly the same manner, the result would've been different? Why? There's no evidence I've seen that suggests Floyd was approached/handled differently because of his color.

Thank you. I don't think every case is due to race. However, news and politics use them and pick them up and they get by far, for instance, more attention than some missing children. And more than that, I am not into someone who just wants to pick one part of something apart to argue. I love discussion however and learning about different areas both geographically and in thoughts.

But yes, Floyd was not a danger to anyone and he certainly was not after 9 minutes nor was he ever a danger prior to that. I mean I don't see anything to suggest he was whatsoever. He allegedlly passed a counterfeit bill at a gas station and now is dead. No high speed chase, no gun, no armed robbery... WTH?
Well then you didn't pay much attention to the previous video. Floyd's behavior was quite strange, very unpredictable, and likely disconcerting to the officers on the scene. He was obviously on something and/or having a mental issue of some sort. Again, that makes him a danger to himself, his passengers and others. It is the responsibility of the officers on the scene to protect all of those people. These comments you've made, and previous ones, reveal a total lack of understanding of police work on your part.

And here again, you claim that I'm being contrarian simply for the sake of argument. That's not true. You're stating as fact(repeatedly) that the hold used on Floyd was "unapproved" and the officers "knew it". I've followed this case and never heard that. Maybe it was and maybe they did, I'm just asking you to tell me where you got that information. If you can't, then just retract it. It's simple.

If you "love discussion" as you claim, then this is a great opportunity for you; there's a lot to dissect and discuss here. You've been the most active poster on this thread, and on Arbery, but now you say "these cases are not my cup of tea". WTH? It appears you only like discussion when you hold the majority opinion and have others to chime in and agree with you.

Well then you didn't pay much attention to the previous video. Floyd's behavior was quite strange, very unpredictable, and likely disconcerting to the officers on the scene. He was obviously on something and/or having a mental issue of some sort. Again, that makes him a danger to himself, his passengers and others. It is the responsibility of the officers on the scene to protect all of those people. These comments you've made, and previous ones, reveal a total lack of understanding of police work on your part.

And here again, you claim that I'm being contrarian simply for the sake of argument. That's not true. You're stating as fact(repeatedly) that the hold used on Floyd was "unapproved" and the officers "knew it". I've followed this case and never heard that. Maybe it was and maybe they did, I'm just asking you to tell me where you got that information. If you can't, then just retract it. It's simple.

If you "love discussion" as you claim, then this is a great opportunity for you; there's a lot to dissect and discuss here. You've been the most active poster on this thread, and on Arbery, but now you say "these cases are not my cup of tea". WTH? It appears you only like discussion when you hold the majority opinion and have others to chime in and agree with you.

I honestly do not know why I am even responding. You do not want to discuss where we both or all may learn something. You look for one thing... To pick something out and ignore the rest. I said if you READ what I said that that he clearly was resisting arrest, I think I said it in at least two posts if not three.. For whatever reason.... Heck the rookies probably wanted to prove themselves and Floyd was possibly on something... However trying to drag him out of the car versus holding him in the car and surrounding it is arguably as inherently dangerous if there was any danger at all to begin with. Then the rookies who likely as newbies want to prove themselves and can't quite handle it or maybe don't have the authority to, have to have two senior officers show them how it is done. Chauvin and Thou, the SENIOR officers.

I do not envy the cops in a big city, it cannot be easy, have I not said that and can you admit that I have, REPEATEDLY??????????????? Or can you? No, you will do as you do and ignore that and center on something else. You do not want to discuss, you want to argue.

Can you admit that once they had this hold on him with four officers there that nine minutes, several helping to hold and hide it from view at a certain point, was overkill and three minutes non-responsive was definitely overkill? Imo it became a pissin' match cops versus citizens... I can even understand that to a point.... It is a day and age where that is an issue all on its own. I do think cops need to have some power if they don't abuse it. That would be a good discussion in itself but just in my humble opinion and I truly doubt you would want to discuss that.

I don't have to be right or wrong and I don't give a flying sh*t if I am. And here is a rare example that you keep ignoring from me that protestors would probably never admit--Floyd did apparently pass a counterfeit bill and he apparently was on something and did RESIST arrest... That was clear in the video... He did resist.

Discussion that is worthwhile yah. Otherwise no. I have no problem dropping right off of these threads at all. I do get bored and I am not fan of JT so I do see these cases when looking for new posts. Or on checking for new breaking news on crime so I will share a link. I am more than happy to stay away from them. They are NOT MY CUP of tea as I said... You are the one that keeps asking me, not the other way around--exaggeration but 29,000 flippin' times on Epstein and Prince Andrew... What do you do, just pop in and on a certain type of case and go after people? It's too bad as I learn a lot when people discuss.

The Justine Diamond case in Mpls even though I am from the midwest I never even heard of until the trial was about over.

And to be honest, if you want to put it out there, you don't seem to get involved in a case unless it is controversial. I have never seen you on a missing or murdered child yet!! Not that people need to be prayerful or sobbing, but have yet to see you have sympathy for a victim in Arbery, Floyd, Masterson or Epstein or even a POSSIBLE victim.

Have at it. I care about George Floyd but I honestly probably got more involved in caring about the boy thrown off the balcony at the MOA. I don't need to be right. I will have and have often voiced an unpopular non-PC opinon Ms. Howell...

I would love to have a real conversation though... Oh well...

Last edited:
I honestly do not know why I am even responding. You do not want to discuss where we both or all may learn something. You look for one thing... To pick something out and ignore the rest. I said if you READ what I said that that he clearly was resisting arrest, I think I said it in at least two posts if not three.. For whatever reason.... Heck the rookies probably wanted to prove themselves and Floyd was possibly on something... However trying to drag him out of the car versus holding him in the car and surrounding it is arguably as inherently dangerous if there was any danger at all to begin with. Then the rookies who likely as newbies want to prove themselves and can't quite handle it or maybe don't have the authority to, have to have two senior officers show them how it is done. Chauvin and Thou, the SENIOR officers.

I do not envy the cops in a big city, it cannot be easy, have I not said that and can you admit that I have, REPEATEDLY??????????????? Or can you? No, you will do as you do and ignore that and center on something else. You do not want to discuss, you want to argue.

Can you admit that once they had this hold on him with four officers there that nine minutes, several helping to hold and hide it from view at a certain point, was overkill and three minutes non-responsive was definitely overkill? Imo it became a pissin' match cops versus citizens... I can even understand that to a point.... It is a day and age where that is an issue all on its own. I do think cops need to have some power if they don't abuse it. That would be a good discussion in itself but just in my humble opinion and I truly doubt you would want to discuss that.

I don't have to be right or wrong and I don't give a flying sh*t if I am. And here is a rare example that you keep ignoring from me that protestors would probably never admit--Floyd did apparently pass a counterfeit bill and he apparently was on something and did RESIST arrest... That was clear in the video... He did resist.

Discussion that is worthwhile yah. Otherwise no. I have no problem dropping right off of these threads at all. I do get bored and I am not fan of JT so I do see these cases when looking for new posts. Or on checking for new breaking news on crime so I will share a link. I am more than happy to stay away from them. They are NOT MY CUP of tea as I said... You are the one that keeps asking me, not the other way around.

I had no clue about the Justine Diamond case until trial was about done.

And to be honest, if you want to put it out there, you don't seem to get involved in a case unless it is controversial. I have never seen you on a missing or murdered child yet!! Not that people need to be prayerful or sobbing, but have yet to see you have sympathy for a victim in Arbery, Floyd, Masterson or Epstein or even a POSSIBLE victim.

Have at it. I care about George Floyd but I honestly probably got more involved in caring about the boy thrown off the balcony at the MOA. I don't need to be right. I will have and have often voiced an unpopular non-PC opinon Ms. Howell...

I would love to have a real conversation though... Oh well...
OK, so you have no source on the "unapproved hold" question? Fair enough, I'll let it go. We'll accept your unspoken retraction.

You've certainly said, repeatedly, that you don't envy big city cops. I've ignored that until now because, like so much of what you have to say, it has little to do with the topic at hand.

I believe Chauvin should've released his neck-hold much earlier, after Floyd stopped resisting. However, I don't believe Thao was intentionally aiding a 2nd degree murder. These are very different questions, yet you keep trying to conflate the two.

Again, that's just not true, GB. I've posted extensively on the Arbery, Floyd, Masterson, and Epstein threads. We just differ on who the "victims" are.

Now I have been accused of that overused big arse conflate word that so many use these days in their posts online like it is some just big important word, trendy ain't it? Conflating. Lol. Is it related to inflate, deflate, Deflate-gate with the all time Patriotic heroes, Brady and Belichick? Whoa, I am digressing though... Sorry ;)

Yah, we don't agree on who the victims are. Honestly I think in this case there are a few that might be victims, however, of what? Of Chauvin and unspoken PD code and admin higher up bosses? Far cry from being dead though, they still have their LIVES. The rookies deserve a break. Thao not so sure. He has his own record and seems to enjoy his power and humiliating people. But it ain't up to me.

Have at it. Ain't my cup of tea just like Andrew is not my prince in shining armor... Or a toad ya kiss that turns into one....

I pray for all of them. It makes me ill to think of anyone in jail or prison. Yet when someone is dead it is different. It is not some minor violation they shackle you over... You are darned right there are real life consequences and Thao as second long term veteran knew there could be, he became concerned about the attention and videos and comments.... So he tried to help cover the sight line and yet SAID AND DID NOTHING. If Lane said something about the hold, and knew, then Thao certainly did.

That's a no brainer Ms. H..

George Floyd Officers Want Case Dropped After Minneapolis Police Training Manual Comes To Light
By
Carlos Christian
-
September 4, 2020

A document alleged to be the Minneapolis police training manual appears to show that the “knee on the neck” tactic to subdue suspects is standard operating procedure.
<snip>

So the knee on the neck is S.O.P huh? For 8 minutes? SMH.:nono::angry:

Judge Denies Use Of 2019 George Floyd Arrest Video At Trial​

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A Hennepin County judge has denied the use of body camera footage from a 2019 arrest of George Floyd to be used as evidence in the trial of the former Minneapolis police officers accused in his death.

Judge Peter Cahill denied attorney Earl Gray’s request to use the body camera footage as evidence in court, according to documents filed late Friday. However, the judge says that a transcript of the video may be presented. <snip>

Judge Denies Use Of 2019 George Floyd Arrest Video At Trial​

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A Hennepin County judge has denied the use of body camera footage from a 2019 arrest of George Floyd to be used as evidence in the trial of the former Minneapolis police officers accused in his death.

Judge Peter Cahill denied attorney Earl Gray’s request to use the body camera footage as evidence in court, according to documents filed late Friday. However, the judge says that a transcript of the video may be presented. <snip>
I am not sure I understand that article. They are talking about body cam footage in court but later in the article they touch on the public release of video, etc. prior.

I looked for the judge's reasoning for no body cam in court and did not see it. The man died, there is a case and there is body cam footage. I fail to see why this would not be allowed at trial?

I am not sure I understand that article. They are talking about body cam footage in court but later in the article they touch on the public release of video, etc. prior.

I looked for the judge's reasoning for no body cam in court and did not see it. The man died, there is a case and there is body cam footage. I fail to see why this would not be allowed at trial?
No. They are referring to his arrest last year that was on body cam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back