GEORGE FLOYD: Man killed, 4 Minneapolis Officers Fired - MN vs Derek Chauvin *GUILTY*

1660790683202.png
(CNN)Four Minneapolis police officers have been fired for their involvement in the death of a black man who was held down with a knee as he protested that he couldn't breathe, officials said Tuesday.

The FBI is investigating the incident, which drew widespread condemnation of the officers after a video showing part of the encounter circulated on social media.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Floyd case in the above starts about 14 minutes in and is not long. It sounds as if there is a bit more info coming out on the victim and the officer working security at the same club...

Well, of the four who've been arrested, I suppose if any were going to bond out, this is the least harmful guy? He'd been on the force 4 days... A prime example of why our cops need MORE TRAINING and MORE EDUCATION prior to being given badges and guns. (I am NOT excusing him. I really know nothing about his past. And he absolutely deserves to be charged just like the rest of them.)

Lane's attorney has said Lane, while Chauvin was pressing on Floyd's neck, suggested more than once that they roll the Floyd to his side, but Chauvin declined.

Lane had been on the police force for four days when Floyd died and was "doing everything he thought he was supposed to do as a four-day police officer," his attorney, Earl Gray, told CNN this week.

HOWEVER... who the hell is crowdfunding money to get these idiots out of prison? And no. He did not do "everything he could". That would have been actually stopping it from happening.

US George Floyd protests live: Rookie cop reportedly used crowdfunding money to pay $750k bail

A fundraising website on his behalf has since been taken down. The site solicited money through PayPal donations, while decrying the bail amount as unfairly high and also declaring that Lane "did everything he could" to save Floyd's life.

Well, of the four who've been arrested, I suppose if any were going to bond out, this is the least harmful guy? He'd been on the force 4 days... A prime example of why our cops need MORE TRAINING and MORE EDUCATION prior to being given badges and guns. (I am NOT excusing him. I really know nothing about his past. And he absolutely deserves to be charged just like the rest of them.)

Lane's attorney has said Lane, while Chauvin was pressing on Floyd's neck, suggested more than once that they roll the Floyd to his side, but Chauvin declined.

Lane had been on the police force for four days when Floyd died and was "doing everything he thought he was supposed to do as a four-day police officer," his attorney, Earl Gray, told CNN this week.

HOWEVER... who the hell is crowdfunding money to get these idiots out of prison? And no. He did not do "everything he could". That would have been actually stopping it from happening.

US George Floyd protests live: Rookie cop reportedly used crowdfunding money to pay $750k bail

A fundraising website on his behalf has since been taken down. The site solicited money through PayPal donations, while decrying the bail amount as unfairly high and also declaring that Lane "did everything he could" to save Floyd's life.
I will cut him, just imo, a bit more slack. He tried to say something and he was a newbie. If one is going to make bond, he is one that may have a chance of not being in quite as much danger, but he likely will still get targeted. I too think he should have stopped it or done something but can I really say that? I do think his attorney made a good point the other day, just like in the military, if you are a rookie/trainee/lower rank and you go up against your very superior officer, it is not generally going to work out for you in your favor. I am not saying it is right but I am saying it is not an easy thing to do when you need a job or your career. And it is an unwritten code and one sees what goes on if you do "rat"--that is the biggest problem in my opinion, is the overall attitude that way that allows this and punishes "whistle blowers" for instance. I would like to know, but I don't think you will see Chauvin with money raised for bond by donations? At least I would HOPE there are not too many that would do that. There shouldn't be ANY that would. Jmo.

I mean. This is good. Cops walking with, kneeling with, talking with protesters is good.
But it doesn't change anything. The system is still broken. This is no longer "just" about what happened to George. The system needs to be fixed.
If you're against it, wonderful. How are you going to work to change it?
JMO.

I mean. This is good. Cops walking with, kneeling with, talking with protesters is good.
But it doesn't change anything. The system is still broken. This is no longer "just" about what happened to George. The system needs to be fixed.
If you're against it, wonderful. How are you going to work to change it?
JMO.
IMO it shows that they acknowledge the system is broken & they hear this but they need specific things that can be improved. The protestors aren't unified with an agenda so what does LE have to work with?

Also, again jmo, it's a better approach than another city who abandoned their precinct and no longer have resources to keep people safe in that community.

Just with a quick google search, the Mpls PD had 873 officers in 2017. This should show something right here that only 14 officers signed this letter. They said more were willing to sign but wanted to showcase just a certain diverse spectrum (paraphrasing). I personally find this a bit odd myself--let all sign who want to, why not? The more, the better. Or is this just an attempt to show the department is diverse? I guess I agree it is great they did this and it looks good but it changes nothing and I sure hope they know it will take more than that. They were under fire during and after the Noor case and seemed to have changed little. And many of the same politicians were in power at that time for all they are paying lip service and using this incident now. I am not knocking the gesture but it is a just that, a gesture. Jmo.

Also, again jmo, it's a better approach than another city who abandoned their precinct and no longer have resources to keep people safe in that community.

Sorry, I just have to laugh about that. The police in Seattle are doing just fine without 6 blocks. The news media (on all sides) are blowing it WAY out of proportion with flat-out lies. News images show fires and riots and all sorts of stuff. Reports of protestors locking out and extorting businesses, checking IDs, patrolling the "borders" are all false.
In reality, it's like 6 blocks. They have a community garden. A co-op. A memorial. They are having "teach-ins" and discussions about changes that they want to see. The businesses there support them, allow them to use the bathrooms and charge their phones. It's not some hostile take-over scenario. At least a half-dozen people I know personally have been or currently are still there. (Is this a good long-term approach? No, probably not. But it's a million percent better than being tear-gassed at a peaceful protest every night.) Search #CHAZ on Twitter.

ETA: I'm not claiming this is some idealistic, utopian state. I'd concede that there's also some pretty weird things going on there. I just find it funny when people get soooo worked up and yell at people to protest peacefully. And when they literally do, that's not okay either.

Last edited:
Just with a quick google search, the Mpls PD had 873 officers in 2017. This should show something right here that only 14 officers signed this letter. They said more were willing to sign but wanted to showcase just a certain diverse spectrum (paraphrasing). I personally find this a bit odd myself--let all sign who want to, why not? The more, the better. Or is this just an attempt to show the department is diverse? I guess I agree it is great they did this and it looks good but it changes nothing and I sure hope they know it will take more than that. They were under fire during and after the Noor case and seemed to have changed little. And many of the same politicians were in power at that time for all they are paying lip service and using this incident now. I am not knocking the gesture but it is a just that, a gesture. Jmo.

I missed that it was only 14 on my first read. Wow. I'd be interested in those names and stats. That means next to nothing then, IMO. It would have been a stronger statement to have more sign. Not just, hey look we had some black people sign this letter! We're so diverse! They also say "we're not the union" -- Well maybe it should have come from them. At least those are elected leaders who CAN actually speak for the group.

I missed that it was only 14 on my first read. Wow. I'd be interested in those names and stats. That means next to nothing then, IMO. It would have been a stronger statement to have more sign. Not just, hey look we had some black people sign this letter! We're so diverse! They also say "we're not the union" -- Well maybe it should have come from them. At least those are elected leaders who CAN actually speak for the group.
Yeah, 14 stuck out to me immediately I guess too because I know it is the largest PD in MN and I thought wow, with the headline, that is a big department, this says something, until I read how many signatures there were. Why would you stop others that are willing to sign?? Is it true others were willing? I am also curious out of such a big department how many would have been unwilling? Just reading between the lines, it does not seem as big of a thing as the headline portrays... I don't know. Not saying it is a bad thing, at least someone did this but it is a sprinkle of a number of the overall department...

Sorry, I just have to laugh about that. The police in Seattle are doing just fine without 6 blocks. The news media (on all sides) are blowing it WAY out of proportion with flat-out lies. News images show fires and riots and all sorts of stuff. Reports of protestors locking out and extorting businesses, checking IDs, patrolling the "borders" are all false.
In reality, it's like 6 blocks. They have a community garden. A co-op. A memorial. They are having "teach-ins" and discussions about changes that they want to see. The businesses there support them, allow them to use the bathrooms and charge their phones. It's not some hostile take-over scenario. At least a half-dozen people I know personally have been or currently are still there. (Is this a good long-term approach? No, probably not. But it's a million percent better than being tear-gassed at a peaceful protest every night.) Search #CHAZ on Twitter.

ETA: I'm not claiming this is some idealistic, utopian state. I'd concede that there's also some pretty weird things going on there. I just find it funny when people get soooo worked up and yell at people to protest peacefully. And when they literally do, that's not okay either.
Perhaps the scenarios are different. I just believe the officers were extending an olive branch to the community by writing that letter.

I keep hearing about the broken system however no one has any solutions.

Perhaps the scenarios are different. I just believe the officers were extending an olive branch to the community by writing that letter.

I keep hearing about the broken system however no one has any solutions.
In a perfect world, people and attitudes and the system would change. However, when politics, special interests, unions and other things are involved, good luck with that imo. One thing that is not a change in attitude that I think would be a help is that all officers wear body cam (AND audio) while on duty, period. It also protects them if someone tries to accuse them of brutality when there was none. If there already isn't, there also should be full coverage in the LE vehicle that is on.

IMO it shows that they acknowledge the system is broken & they hear this but they need specific things that can be improved. The protestors aren't unified with an agenda so what does LE have to work with?

Ours quelled much of the shenanigans when they decided to take a much calmer stance. Once they stood down and took a knee and started marching alongside the protesters, things took a dramatic change for the better. The real protesters were then willing to call out the trouble makers before much trouble even began.

In a perfect world, people and attitudes and the system would change. However, when politics, special interests, unions and other things are involved, good luck with that imo. One thing that is not a change in attitude that I think would be a help is that all officers wear body cam (AND audio) while on duty, period. It also protects them if someone tries to accuse them of brutality when there was none. If there already isn't, there also should be full coverage in the LE vehicle that is on.
I can't find any GOOD reason of why they wouldn't want to wear a body cam at all times.

I can't find any GOOD reason of why they wouldn't want to wear a body cam at all times.
Agree. The only reasons would be bad ones. Imo as well. Any officer that resists I would let go and any that had more than one incident where it ideally was forgotten or did not work, should be looked seriously at if not let go. Jmo. Bystanders are learning to video and security cameras are doing nothing but becoming more common. It is past time body cams be a requirement in such jobs.

I think if the union refuses to let the city fire a cop after he does something really bad, the mayor should hold a press conference. They should say that the city thinks this cop should be fired, but the union is protecting him. It would probably be best not use the cops name in the press conference. This would put pressure on the union if the guy does something more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back