OR FINLEY CREEK JANE DOE: F, 14-18, found in a wooded hillside near La Grande, OR - 27 Aug 1978 - pregnant

Case File: 1258UFOR

1593885790127.png

Unidentified Female
Date of Discovery: August 27, 1978
Location of Discovery: Finley Creek, Union County, Oregon
Estimated Date of Death: Years prior
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
** Listed information is approximate

Estimated Age: 14-18 years old
Race: Unknown
Height: 5'1" to 5'3"
Weight: 115-125 lbs.
Hair Color: Light brown to blonde
Eye Color: Unknown

Distinguishing Marks/Features: She was pregnant, and likely in her 6th to 8th month of pregnancy.

Dentals: Available.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Not available.
Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: A halter/bra, red Catalina pants (size 15/16 - Juniors?) - which show evidence of possible length alteration, ankle-high lace up shoes, and remnants of clothing that consisted of red cloth, white cloth, and zippers.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Case History
The victim's body was found in a wooded hillside 18 miles north of La Grande.

Investigating Agency(s)
If you have any information about this case please contact;

Agency Name: Union County Medical Examiner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Dr. Veronica Vance
Agency Phone Number: 971-673-8220

Agency Case Number: ME: 78-1865
NCIC Case Number: N/A
NamUs Case Number: UP #11902
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Information Source(s)
NamUs

Last edited by a moderator:
La Grande, Oregon

msPfnrH.jpg

rqjO7bH.jpg

S9tvP7r.jpg

Hello everyone,

For the last few months, myself and others have been working on getting this case revitalized. It began in early 2018 when I was asked by a user on another forum board about taking on this case. I did and at first I got nowhere because of the little information to go on. Then from there, I decided to do newspaper research (as you all know), and found valuable details not mentioned on NamUs or anywhere else. Those newspaper clippings I found are now floating around the internet, thankfully.

Then about six months ago, after a year and a half of failing to obtain official records or get any cooperation from the Oregon State Medical Examiners Office, I met a woman named Mel. She is a local from La Grande that had just found out about this case based on my contributions and started a Facebook page on the Finley Creek Jane Doe. I reached out to her, and we began a group effort to have this woman identified. Soon after, a woman from John Day named Kether joined us followed by Gloria who runs the Pacific Northwest Missing page on Facebook. She was brought in because of her useful knowledge on Lance Voss, the suspected Lewis and Clark Valley Killer. Together, we have been trading information regarding this case and have been linking the murder of this woman to some serial killers in the area.

Then in January, after a long time to game plan, Mel came up with a great idea of sending numerous requests to the OSP based on a records request law we found. We sent letters to OSP La Grande, Salem and the Pendleton Crime Lab. Also that same month, Mel spoke to former District Attorney Dale Mammen, who was the DA at the time this was going on. A lot was learned from the meeting, and DA Mammen agreed to meet with Mel this spring to find the exact spot where FCJD was buried. Also, another former OSP detective named Bob Routt was interviewed by Mel and he gave some valuable information about the workings of OSP at the time, and discussed some of his knowledge of the case. We also learned that Dock Baker was still alive during Mel's conversation with DA Mammen. At the time, Dock was 94 and had initially refused to discuss the case. Mammen had agreed to speak with Det. Baker to try and get him to agree to a meeting; but early February came and Dock Baker passed away in La Grande.

Dale Mammen believes this woman was a hitchhiker, did not subscribe to the fact that the Jane Doe's remains were destroyed and lost, and is satisfied that the murder occurred somewhere other than the gravesite.

Then we got access to the files...two years later! The letter campaign worked out, and after paying a fee, we received over fifty pages of files from this case, as well as about 20 photos of the crime scene and autopsy. Because of the graphic nature, I do not intend to release these photos. However, the files I received will be available here! Attached is all fifty pages of this report. You will notice that ruleouts have been made on some individuals who are not in NamUs. Additionally, because OSP and the Medical Examiner's office do not believe they have sufficient photos for a facial reconstruction, we have brought on Anthony Redgrave of Redgrave Research to do a facial reconstruction on the Finley Creek Jane Doe! Thanks to the photos we received, we believe they are sufficient enough for one. We do not plan to release it until we get approval from OSP and the MEO.

Speaking of which, once we have everything together and all leads processed, we plan to have a face-to-face meeting with Dr. Nici Vance and the detective working this case.

Also, we discovered that all the evidence in this case was destroyed in 1990 by order of the Union County DA at the time. However, thanks to this information, we were able to locate FCJD's last known location; which was a crematorium in Walla Walla, WA. We believe her remains may be located at a graveyard or funeral home in Walla Walla, and Mel is following up on this. We will have more info on this later. Our goal is to see if there could be sufficient bones or teeth that would be usable for DNA processing. Anthony Redgrave believes he knows someone that could extract DNA from the cremains if possible. Also, we have been told to ask the MEO to have NCMEC involved in the case.

Our group is also following up on a lead that I found in the report involving a missing woman from Thurston County, WA. We are awaiting word back from the TCSO regarding this lead, you will find in the report.

Thank you all for continuing to follow this case....as you can tell, we have been busy! Oh, and HAPPY READING REGARDING THE FILES! ;)

Jason

Attachments

• SP78752103.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 23
Hello everyone,

For the last few months, myself and others have been working on getting this case revitalized. It began in early 2018 when I was asked by a user on another forum board about taking on this case. I did and at first I got nowhere because of the little information to go on. Then from there, I decided to do newspaper research (as you all know), and found valuable details not mentioned on NamUs or anywhere else. Those newspaper clippings I found are now floating around the internet, thankfully.

Then about six months ago, after a year and a half of failing to obtain official records or get any cooperation from the Oregon State Medical Examiners Office, I met a woman named Mel. She is a local from La Grande that had just found out about this case based on my contributions and started a Facebook page on the Finley Creek Jane Doe. I reached out to her, and we began a group effort to have this woman identified. Soon after, a woman from John Day named Kether joined us followed by Gloria who runs the Pacific Northwest Missing page on Facebook. She was brought in because of her useful knowledge on Lance Voss, the suspected Lewis and Clark Valley Killer. Together, we have been trading information regarding this case and have been linking the murder of this woman to some serial killers in the area.

Then in January, after a long time to game plan, Mel came up with a great idea of sending numerous requests to the OSP based on a records request law we found. We sent letters to OSP La Grande, Salem and the Pendleton Crime Lab. Also that same month, Mel spoke to former District Attorney Dale Mammen, who was the DA at the time this was going on. A lot was learned from the meeting, and DA Mammen agreed to meet with Mel this spring to find the exact spot where FCJD was buried. Also, another former OSP detective named Bob Routt was interviewed by Mel and he gave some valuable information about the workings of OSP at the time, and discussed some of his knowledge of the case. We also learned that Dock Baker was still alive during Mel's conversation with DA Mammen. At the time, Dock was 94 and had initially refused to discuss the case. Mammen had agreed to speak with Det. Baker to try and get him to agree to a meeting; but early February came and Dock Baker passed away in La Grande.

Dale Mammen believes this woman was a hitchhiker, did not subscribe to the fact that the Jane Doe's remains were destroyed and lost, and is satisfied that the murder occurred somewhere other than the gravesite.

Then we got access to the files...two years later! The letter campaign worked out, and after paying a fee, we received over fifty pages of files from this case, as well as about 20 photos of the crime scene and autopsy. Because of the graphic nature, I do not intend to release these photos. However, the files I received will be available here! Attached is all fifty pages of this report. You will notice that ruleouts have been made on some individuals who are not in NamUs. Additionally, because OSP and the Medical Examiner's office do not believe they have sufficient photos for a facial reconstruction, we have brought on Anthony Redgrave of Redgrave Research to do a facial reconstruction on the Finley Creek Jane Doe! Thanks to the photos we received, we believe they are sufficient enough for one. We do not plan to release it until we get approval from OSP and the MEO.

Speaking of which, once we have everything together and all leads processed, we plan to have a face-to-face meeting with Dr. Nici Vance and the detective working this case.

Also, we discovered that all the evidence in this case was destroyed in 1990 by order of the Union County DA at the time. However, thanks to this information, we were able to locate FCJD's last known location; which was a crematorium in Walla Walla, WA. We believe her remains may be located at a graveyard or funeral home in Walla Walla, and Mel is following up on this. We will have more info on this later. Our goal is to see if there could be sufficient bones or teeth that would be usable for DNA processing. Anthony Redgrave believes he knows someone that could extract DNA from the cremains if possible. Also, we have been told to ask the MEO to have NCMEC involved in the case.

Our group is also following up on a lead that I found in the report involving a missing woman from Thurston County, WA. We are awaiting word back from the TCSO regarding this lead, you will find in the report.

Thank you all for continuing to follow this case....as you can tell, we have been busy! Oh, and HAPPY READING REGARDING THE FILES! ;)

Jason
Thanks for the new info, Jason- and, especially, for caring enough to invest so deeply in this woman...I'll be looking forward to your updates!❤

Hello everyone,

Jason
WOW! You've gone above and beyond the regular "armchair sleuth". Thank you for being so kind as to sharing the information, too! :yourock:

I keep looking at it and thinking it is. What else could it be? Just some kind of mud?

I get what you mean in the sense it almost looks like a brooch or broach someone would put on their shoulder or scarf, a pin or something. I honestly did not know there was a term for something like that on a shoe. When I saw the pics I thought the same, I thought some kind of buckle or something. It isn't clear that's for sure, like a lot of photos the public gets although I would hope investigators know. The shape reminded me of a turtle. But I also did wonder if it was mud or some such as nothing in the details says it was anything else.

I am not sure, I'm looking close, but can't see it.

I thought too it looked like some embellishment either on this footwear it came with or something she added to one shoe/boot. Just saying I thought the same but did not know there was a term for it. Of course we never get the closeups or pics or first hand site quite often LE gets or knows about. But it's an old case. Maybe that is the best pic they have. I even thought but didn't say it that if it is mud and only on that part, that may tell a bit of the story too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back