PA EDGEMONT TOWNSHIP JANE DOE: WF, 25-45, found in Ridley Creek State Park in Edgemont Township, PA - 1 Jan 2016 *IDENTIFIED*

1628763924097.png1628763946005.png1628763953963.png

Reconstructions of the decedent (clay rendering by the University of South Florida); decedent's rings and clothing.

Date of Discovery: January 1, 2016
Location of Discovery: Edgemont Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Estimated Date of Death: 1-2 years prior
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Undetermined

Physical Description

Estimated Age: 25-45 years old
Race: White
Height: 5'3" to 5'10"
Weight: 120 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers

Dentals: Available. Evidence of unspecified dental work.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Blue winter jacket, blue jeans, size 9 black Totes boots, size 9 pink and gray Sketchers running shoes.
Jewelry: Gold Irish Claddagh ring, gold initial ring bearing the initial “C”, and gold ring with the engraved initials of “C.A. or C.R." on the interior.
Additional Personal Items: Near the body were two backpacks, a box cutter, a blanket and two empty pill bottles.

Circumstances of Discovery

The woman's remains were discovered by hikers in Ridley Creek State Park in Delaware County, Pennsylvania on January 1, 2016.

Chemical isotope analysis indicated she was native to Pennsylvania or a neighboring state.

Investigating Agency(s)

Agency Name: Pennsylvania State Police
Agency Contact Person: Trooper Andrew Martin
Agency Phone Number: 215-452-5216
Agency E-Mail: amartin(at)ps.gov
Agency Case Number: K02-2106302

Agency Name: Delaware County Medical Examiner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Mark Gibble
Agency Phone Number: 610-558-7077
Agency Case Number: 16-006

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 14642

Information Source(s)

NamUs
Pennsylvania Crime Stoppers
University of South Florida
The Philly Inquirer

CrimeWatch PA

Last edited by a moderator:
I know there is some debate about what is on the gold signet ring and what is inscribed on the inside of the 'wedding engagement' ring.
I would like to suggest that the police photo of the signet ring is upside down.
I believe it reads "Jo" and the wedding inside inscription is also "JO".

Attachments

• Jo Signet Ring - blue.jpg
    Jo Signet Ring - blue.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Jo Signet Ring.jpg
    Jo Signet Ring.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Jo Wedding Ring.jpg
    Jo Wedding Ring.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 9
The rings were found in a clothing pocket, not on the skeleton or close by...like a ring would potentially fall off a thinner, bone finger. Which suggests that either the victim took them off and put them in her pocket OR the rings aren't the victims and were placed by the perp. I'm suggesting we should be looking for a victim or link to a "Jo".

Last edited:
The rings were found in a clothing pocket, not on the skeleton or close by...like a ring would potentially fall off a thinner, bone finger. Which suggests that either the victim took them off and put them in her pocket OR the rings aren't the victims and were placed by the perp. I'm suggesting we should be looking for a victim or link to a "Jo" or "Josephine".
Whoa! I never even looked at it that way! I'm really glad you chimed in! VERY interesting!

The signet gold ring also looks like it has lost a stone...in the 2 o'clock position, above the "o" in "Jo".
The signet gold ring also has a inscribed, "P 10K". The "P" means Plumb, and is a certified gold quality. Only able to be used by certified jewelers.
This is quality gold.

The medical examiner says
Estimated Date of Death: 1-2 years prior

I'm familiar with this park. No way that body was in the park undetected for 1 year. Too many dog walkers would have found that decomposing body.
That skeleton was probably moved and placed in the park, sometime around Christmas 2015, and found on January 1, 2016.

Last edited:

According to NamUs the estimated date of death is 4 months before she was found, which would put her death around late August or early September of 2015 if I am figuring that correctly. Also just wondering about signet rings is just one initial common and would it be more likely to be initial of first name or last? Those rings and deciphering the inscriptions are most likely going to be key in solving this one. I just wish we knew for sure what the letters are.

by Michael Donegan
Thursday, January 19th 2023

DELAWARE COUNTY, Pa. (WHP) — The Pennsylvania State Police are investigating unidentified human remains found in January of 2016 by hikers at Ridley Creek State Park in Delaware County.

According to the Pennsylvania Crime Stoppers (PCS), the body was found fully clothed in winter wear.

After a full anthropological examination, officials say the remains are believed to be from a white female, 5'2 to 5'10, ranging between 25 and 45-years-old.

174adaff-8db3-46a3-bd5c-f3758db4a191-medium16x9_troop_k_unidentified_remains_k022106312_2.jpg
b78a332d-ce5f-449f-a503-edf3a76f732a-medium16x9_troop_k_unidentified_remains_k022106312_3.jpg
f3102826-b719-437e-a4b1-9d02ded0dc2e-large36x25_troop_k_unidentified_remains_k022106312_4.jpg

Max Bennett,Patch Staff​

Posted Mon, May 1, 2023 at 10:37 am ET

RIDLEY CREEK, PA — State authorities are expected to announce a break in the 2016 death investigation of an unidentified woman.

The body of a woman was found Jan. 1, 2016 in Ridley Creek State Park by hikers.

The woman's identity has not been discovered, but Pennsylvania State Police are planning to provide an update on the woman's identity on May 17.

According to state police, genealogy testing led authorities to identify the woman.

BY MADELEINE WRIGHT, TOM DOUGHERTY
MAY 17, 2023 / 11:16 AM / CBS PHILADELPHIA

MEDIA, Pa. (CBS) -- A woman who was found by a hiker in the woods of Ridley Creek State Park in January 2016 has been identified, Pennsylvania State Police said Wednesday. It's the first case state police's new forensic genealogy unit has ID'd.

Investigators are not releasing the woman's name, citing the family's request for privacy.

According to state police, they've previously had to hire third-party contractors for DNA testing. Then, in 2022, several troopers went to Connecticut to get certified in forensic genealogy to create their own in-house unit.

In a news conference Wednesday, state police said they extracted DNA from the woman's bones and entered it into a database. The database led them to the woman's sister and other family members who still live in the Philadelphia area.

Investigators said the woman's family had lost track of her over the years but never reported her missing.

While she has been identified, the cause of her death remains unknown.

State police are asking anyone with information about what happened to the woman to contact them at 717-783-5556.

They are asking people to call if they have information, but they can't release the name of the doe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiPolarBear
Back