UT DYLAN ROUNDS: Missing from Lucin, UT - 28 May 2022 - Age 19 *Found Deceased*ARREST*

1654822383468.png

Family offering $20,000 reward for man who disappeared after ‘weird run-in’ with stranger​

Katie Wells of Rigby tells EastIdahoNews.com her nephew, Dylan Rounds, was last seen Saturday in Lucin, Utah, on the farm where he is working. Rounds apparently called several family members last Wednesday after having a “weird run-in” with a guy on a gravel road.

“The man was walking down the gravel road barefoot. He flagged Dylan down, who was in his truck. He asked to use Dylan’s phone and was acting erratically. Dylan felt the man was dangerous and may have been high. When he asked Dylan for a ride, (Dylan) did not give him a ride,” Wells explains.

Wells says the man was spotted in Montello, Nevada several days later asking about Dylan and there are reports that the man got a ride to Dylan’s trailer on Saturday.

“We don’t believe anything was ransacked,” Wells explains. “Dylan is missing, his phone is missing and his wallet.”

Noting Dylan’s age, Wells says some people seem to think Dylan ran off, but she suspects foul play.

“He is an old soul, farm boy at heart. All he wants to do is get up and work all day every day. He isn’t interested in partying, he isn’t interested in travel. He never dated in high school. He’s not your typical 19-year-old,” Wells says.

Dylan’s mom, Candice Cooley, lives in Twin Falls and his dad, Justin Rounds, lives in Ucon. They are actively involved in the search and are offering a $20,000 reward to anyone who finds him or knows where he might be.

MEDIA - DYLAN ROUNDS: Missing from Lucin, UT since 28 May 2022 - Age 19

Last edited:
So, someone owed D. H. money and that person lived in the trailer and left their gun there. Then Brenner moved in and gave the gun to D. H. and D. H. was going to keep it since the original owner (we don't know that person's initials, right?) owed him money.

The riff raff surrounding this kid is making the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

IDAHO FALLS — The family of a missing man from eastern Idaho is demanding a private investigator stop his involvement in the search for their son.

Dylan Rounds, 19, vanished over a month ago while farming in the rural town of Lucin near the Utah/Nevada border. He last spoke with his grandmother on May 28. Since then, nobody has heard from him, and other than a pair of Rounds’ boots on the property, there has been no sign of him anywhere.

James Terry with Gulf Coast Investigation in Florida has been investigating the case, but on Thursday, Idaho Falls-based attorney Ronald Swafford sent Terry a cease-and-desist letter on behalf of Rounds’ parents, Justin Rounds and Candice Cooley.

“My office has been retained by the Rounds and Cooley families to send this letter to you and demand that you immediately cease and desist your continued nonauthorized involvement in the Dylan Rounds case,” Swafford wrote. “You have made malicious, unfounded and incorrect statements and have made verbal and written attacks on the Rounds and Cooley families.”

Terry has spoken about the case on videos posted online, and Swafford wrote that Terry’s words are “damaging the integrity and effectiveness of the entire investigation.”

Since Rounds disappeared, multiple searches have been conducted in the Lucin and Montello, Nevada, areas. The FBI is assisting the Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office with the investigation, and people who knew Rounds have been interviewed by law enforcement.

Rounds’ parents say they are focused on finding their son and don’t want Terry’s private investigation to be a distraction.

“Your actions are diverting the focus from finding Dylan Rounds to what appears to be your own personal vendetta and/or to promote yourself at the expense of the truth,” Swafford wrote. “The family of Dylan Rounds do not want to waste their time, resources and energy with any further action against you in this matter and therefore request your immediate compliance.”

IDAHO FALLS — The family of a missing man from eastern Idaho is demanding a private investigator stop his involvement in the search for their son.

Dylan Rounds, 19, vanished over a month ago while farming in the rural town of Lucin near the Utah/Nevada border. He last spoke with his grandmother on May 28. Since then, nobody has heard from him, and other than a pair of Rounds’ boots on the property, there has been no sign of him anywhere.

James Terry with Gulf Coast Investigation in Florida has been investigating the case, but on Thursday, Idaho Falls-based attorney Ronald Swafford sent Terry a cease-and-desist letter on behalf of Rounds’ parents, Justin Rounds and Candice Cooley.

“My office has been retained by the Rounds and Cooley families to send this letter to you and demand that you immediately cease and desist your continued nonauthorized involvement in the Dylan Rounds case,” Swafford wrote. “You have made malicious, unfounded and incorrect statements and have made verbal and written attacks on the Rounds and Cooley families.”

Terry has spoken about the case on videos posted online, and Swafford wrote that Terry’s words are “damaging the integrity and effectiveness of the entire investigation.”

Since Rounds disappeared, multiple searches have been conducted in the Lucin and Montello, Nevada, areas. The FBI is assisting the Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office with the investigation, and people who knew Rounds have been interviewed by law enforcement.

Rounds’ parents say they are focused on finding their son and don’t want Terry’s private investigation to be a distraction.

“Your actions are diverting the focus from finding Dylan Rounds to what appears to be your own personal vendetta and/or to promote yourself at the expense of the truth,” Swafford wrote. “The family of Dylan Rounds do not want to waste their time, resources and energy with any further action against you in this matter and therefore request your immediate compliance.”
these cases sure bring out the crazies! Very familiar with a case that had a rouge investigator that made things sooooo much worse, too, and that is just one of the crazies that came out. He couldn't even get anybody to hire him for a penny! :rofl:

Sorry if I glossed over someone else's observation, but I was surprised to read in the court document that Brenner is friends with "D. R. and his family". I'm confused - was he ever employed by them? Am I missing the obvious?
No, I wouldn't say it's obvious!
The way I understand it, Jim rarely helped on the farm and even Don only helped when Dylan needed help with things he didn't know, such as mechanical work, or, when the work required more than one person.

Box Elder County asks public to stop searching area for missing Dylan Rounds
The Box Elder County Sheriff's Department is giving some insight into their search for Dylan Rounds.

The sheriff's office said there are no organized searches planned, and they are asking the public not to search the area.

They said searching the area has the potential to "compromise the investigation."

The sheriff's office also released a statement from the Rounds family who echo the request for the public to let law enforcement conduct their search in peace.

As a family, we are not asking for, or requesting any additional public searches for Dylan Rounds at this time. We request that everyone allow law enforcement to continue their organized investigation without any hindrance or interference, in order to avoid jeopardizing the investigation. We thank everyone for their continued support in finding Dylan Rounds.

New person of interest named in disappearance of Dylan Rounds​

A new person of interest has been named in the disappearance of 19-year-old Dylan Rounds on Thursday.

In an unsealed indictment from the Utah District Court, Chase Venestra has now been added to the list of suspects being questioned in the missing person case.

So far, at least three people have been questioned — one person was indicted on unrelated charges, another is in custody on an outstanding warrant and the third remains a free man.

The new person of interest, Venestra, is a man who authorities say asked Rounds for a ride just a few days before he disappeared. Authorities say Venestra was seen bloodied and barefoot while walking along a road near Lucin when he approached Rounds for a ride.

Venestra is a convicted felon and has been held in the Davis County Jail since June 4. He was indicted on unrelated firearms charges and violations.

Another suspect, James Brenner, who is also Rounds’ neighbor, has also been arrested and charged with weapons violations.

Second person tied to missing northern Utah man faces federal charge​

A second person who is believed to have had contact with Dylan Rounds shortly before he disappeared now faces federal weapons charges.

Chase Montgomery Venstra, 41, was charged in federal court on July 1 with being a restricted person in possession of a firearm. That complaint was unsealed on Tuesday when Venstra made his initial appearance in federal court. A judge ordered him to remain in custody pending his next hearing on July 19.

The action comes on the heels of a complaint being filed against James Brenner, 58, in the U.S. District Court of Utah for being a felon in possession of a firearm. On Wednesday, an indictment was filed against Brenner on the same charge. An indictment is obtained after a case is reviewed by a grand jury.

A judge on Wednesday ordered Brenner to remain in custody pending his arraignment on Friday. According to a petition filed by prosecutors requesting that Brenner remain in custody, he is considered a "suspect" in Rounds' disappearance.

Last edited:
So it seems like nothing we didn't know. Just officially named as a POI.
Three people questioned...

Indicted on unrelated charges - Chase, the barefoot guy who got a ride from Dylan.
In custody on warrant - James "Jim" who lived/squatted on the property near where Dylan kept his grain truck.
Free / Questioned and released - Owner of bar?

So it seems like nothing we didn't know. Just officially named as a POI.
Three people questioned...

Indicted on unrelated charges - Chase, the barefoot guy who got a ride from Dylan.
In custody on warrant - James "Jim" who lived/squatted on the property near where Dylan kept his grain truck.
Free / Questioned and released - Owner of bar?
more like "son of" owner of bar, isn't it?

Well, doesn't he sounds like mighty fine neighbor material

He does seem like a "better" suspect than Chase, IMO. Literally lives at Dylan's last-seen location.
I wonder what type of physical evidence and forensics they have.

The current totality of information gathered from the many interviews and searches, along with the analysis of both physical evidence and forensic data, has identified James Brenner as a suspect.

New person of interest named in disappearance of Dylan Rounds​

A new person of interest has been named in the disappearance of 19-year-old Dylan Rounds on Thursday.

In an unsealed indictment from the Utah District Court, Chase Venestra has now been added to the list of suspects being questioned in the missing person case.

So far, at least three people have been questioned — one person was indicted on unrelated charges, another is in custody on an outstanding warrant and the third remains a free man.

The new person of interest, Venestra, is a man who authorities say asked Rounds for a ride just a few days before he disappeared. Authorities say Venestra was seen bloodied and barefoot while walking along a road near Lucin when he approached Rounds for a ride.

Venestra is a convicted felon and has been held in the Davis County Jail since June 4. He was indicted on unrelated firearms charges and violations.

Another suspect, James Brenner, who is also Rounds’ neighbor, has also been arrested and charged with weapons violations.

Second person tied to missing northern Utah man faces federal charge​

A second person who is believed to have had contact with Dylan Rounds shortly before he disappeared now faces federal weapons charges.

Chase Montgomery Venstra, 41, was charged in federal court on July 1 with being a restricted person in possession of a firearm. That complaint was unsealed on Tuesday when Venstra made his initial appearance in federal court. A judge ordered him to remain in custody pending his next hearing on July 19.

The action comes on the heels of a complaint being filed against James Brenner, 58, in the U.S. District Court of Utah for being a felon in possession of a firearm. On Wednesday, an indictment was filed against Brenner on the same charge. An indictment is obtained after a case is reviewed by a grand jury.

A judge on Wednesday ordered Brenner to remain in custody pending his arraignment on Friday. According to a petition filed by prosecutors requesting that Brenner remain in custody, he is considered a "suspect" in Rounds' disappearance.
Both here ordered to remain in custody pending their next court appearances. Both on weapons charges. Both charged federally. Both knokwn to have had contacta with Dylan not long before he disappeared.

i wonder if or hope they are waatching them while in custody, who knows what they will say or might shake at if both in the same jail...?

So this Brenner doesn't sound like a very nice man and recently Chase had been barefoot and bleeding and looking for a ride. I wonder how he came to be that way out there and wheher he too "lost" his shooes or boots as Dyaln maybe did...

Does someone have aa thing for attacking or fighting, taking weapons and leaving men without shoes to walk back, walk back to town, walk home, etc. Maybe someone took Dylan further out into the desert and did this and something happened from there where Dylan didn't get back. Maybe someone leaves them shoeless and beat up and some make it and some don't... All JUST thoughts and my speculation...

He does seem like a "better" suspect than Chase, IMO. Literally lives at Dylan's last-seen location.

The current totality of information gathered from the many interviews and searches, along with the analysis of both physical evidence and forensic data, has identified James Brenner as a suspect.
We don't see people called POIs and suspects very often and especially suspect and they do come right out and identify him as one...

I wonder, too; not the type to charge, apparently, or not strong enough...
That's bothersome, but also bothersome to me is the fact that they've actually named two people, one's a suspect and one's a POI. I mean, unless there's some sort of association between the two that I'm not aware of and LE believe they conspired, I'm at a loss as to how evidence can point to both, yet is enough to name anyone anything.

Btw, at this point, (to my mind, anyway) Jim wasn't squatting because info from Kurt is that one of those three parcel owners, (SH, I believe) "put" him (Jim) out there as a "watchdog". The issue re squatting appears to be the fact that the 5th wheel isn't on S.H.'s parcel, but the same parcel as the grain truck shelter, owned by JC..
Anyway, that's the situation and to me it's plain silly, but whatever.
As for the owner of the 5th wheel, it was my impression that Don owned it, but right now, I'm not so sure about that.

I wonder, too; not the type to charge, apparently, or not strong enough...
That's bothersome, but also bothersome to me is the fact that they've actually named two people, one's a suspect and one's a POI. I mean, unless there's some sort of association between the two that I'm not aware of and LE believe they conspired, I'm at a loss as to how evidence can point to both, yet is enough to name anyone anything.

Btw, at this point, (to my mind, anyway) Jim wasn't squatting because info from Kurt is that one of those three parcel owners, (SH, I believe) "put" him (Jim) out there as a "watchdog". The issue re squatting appears to be the fact that the 5th wheel isn't on S.H.'s parcel, but the same parcel as the grain truck shelter, owned by JC..
Anyway, that's the situation and to me it's plain silly, but whatever.
As for the owner of the 5th wheel, it was my impression that Don owned it, but right now, I'm not so sure about that.
I was bothered by the "squatter" comments when it seemed he had permission to be there. Just because one isn't paying any rent, doesn't necessarily make them a squatter.

I was bothered by the "squatter" comments when it seemed he had permission to be there. Just because one isn't paying any rent, doesn't necessarily make them a squatter.
It appears to me that he actually did have permission, and now that I think about it, that doc describes the parcels as open and used by all owners (something to that effect), which to me, negates the fact that the 5th wheeler is parked on one parcel rather than another...
Perhaps it's a matter of who owns the 5th wheel, although I think Kurt's impression (or he possibly misspoke or I misunderstood, lol!) is that Jim owned it...

She acknowledges that the key to solving Dylan’s disappearance is with Brenner.

“He has the answers,” she said.

During Brenner’s detention hearing, prosecutors said he is a danger to the community and should not be back out on the streets.

He currently has an outstanding warrant from Box Elder County where he allegedly beat up a man using a law chair. And he also served time for attempted murder.

“Oh he has a lengthy history of violence,” said Carlos Esqueda. “He had a shoot-out before. He has a history of shooting at people and despite that, he’s a convicted felon he continues to carry firearms.”

Brenner’s attorney Tessa Hansen said the attempted murder in Maryland happened 30 years ago and the charge was dropped to malicious shooting. She said he has only had two gun violations over the past 30 years.

Hansen said she was unaware of the outstanding warrant in Box Elder County.

After hearing of his criminal past, Dylan’s mother was even more convinced that Brenner was more than a suspect.

“I think James did something to him,” Cooley said. “I think he snapped and especially hearing more of it in court.

Brenner was denied bail and returned to the Weber County jail. His trial was set for September. But he will return to state court Monday in Box Elder County. He’s facing more gun violations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JuniorTova
Back