PAUL & MAGGIE MURDAUGH: South Carolina vs. Alex Murdaugh for Double Homicide of wife & son *GUILTY*

1623728103817.png
This case is being kept pretty quiet, no major details released to speak of (other than it does say there were two different guns used), but no info regarding who found them, who called 911, very little else.

Of interest, the grandfather died just a few days after these murders and it sounds as if he was ill from various articles so probably not unexpected. I think of the typical motives, did grandpa have a big estate? How big in the overall family of grandpa's on down? They sound like a pretty well known family and a powerful one in their state, more on that in the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
South Carolina chief justice Donald Beatty has appointed a judge from outside the Palmetto State’s scandal-scarred fourteenth judicial circuit to handle preliminary matters related to the ‘Murdaugh Murders’ true crime saga – a move which raises serious questions about the proximity of multiple judges within the circuit to this rapidly unspooling drama.
According to multiple sources familiar with the situation, the court has chosen veteran S.C. circuit court judge Clifton Newman to preside over any initial Murdaugh-related proceedings.

In addition to hearing motions related to any charges filed in connection with these ongoing investigations, Newman would also be asked sign off on search warrants sought by investigators as they continue to probe this far-ranging criminal enterprise.

South Carolina chief justice Donald Beatty has appointed a judge from outside the Palmetto State’s scandal-scarred fourteenth judicial circuit to handle preliminary matters related to the ‘Murdaugh Murders’ true crime saga – a move which raises serious questions about the proximity of multiple judges within the circuit to this rapidly unspooling drama.
According to multiple sources familiar with the situation, the court has chosen veteran S.C. circuit court judge Clifton Newman to preside over any initial Murdaugh-related proceedings.

In addition to hearing motions related to any charges filed in connection with these ongoing investigations, Newman would also be asked sign off on search warrants sought by investigators as they continue to probe this far-ranging criminal enterprise.

Might want to try Washington State!:gavel:

SC Attorneys File Motion Asking Judge To Arrest Alex Murdaugh For Alleged Embezzlement

Attorneys Eric Bland and Ronald Richter — who are representing Satterfield’s two sons in a lawsuit alleging civil conspiracy and stolen funds in connection with Satterfield’s wrongful death settlement — filed the special motion Monday based on a South Carolina law that states a person can be arrested in a civil case without criminal charges in some circumstances.

Alex Murdaugh’s insurance company actually settled for more than $4.3 million — which included $2.8 million that was supposed to go to his clients.

The petition was not entered into the court record— which is a major violation of procedure. In fact, none of the documents essential to the settlement process were entered properly.

Alex Murdaugh opened up a bank account at Bank of America under the name of Forge, got the check cashed and walked away with the money,” Bland said.

SC Attorneys File Motion Asking Judge To Arrest Alex Murdaugh For Alleged Embezzlement

Attorneys Eric Bland and Ronald Richter — who are representing Satterfield’s two sons in a lawsuit alleging civil conspiracy and stolen funds in connection with Satterfield’s wrongful death settlement — filed the special motion Monday based on a South Carolina law that states a person can be arrested in a civil case without criminal charges in some circumstances.

Alex Murdaugh’s insurance company actually settled for more than $4.3 million — which included $2.8 million that was supposed to go to his clients.

The petition was not entered into the court record— which is a major violation of procedure. In fact, none of the documents essential to the settlement process were entered properly.

Alex Murdaugh opened up a bank account at Bank of America under the name of Forge, got the check cashed and walked away with the money,” Bland said.
Quite the soap opera. And I don't think we have heard it all yet. Jmo.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a very confusing Tweet? I know about the housekeeper and the first part of the Tweet clearly means "her" attorney for "her" estate/death. I have no idea what the rest of the Tweet means, are they still talking her estate, talking her attorney or are they talking about a Murdaugh attorney and what has a friend of Alex got to do with the death of the housekeeper?

It's probably me, it confuses me. Clearly a settlement was reached, that much I get.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a very confusing Tweet? I know about the housekeeper and the first part of the Tweet clearly means "her" attorney for "her" estate/death. I have no idea what the rest of the Tweet means, are they still talking her estate, talking her attorney or are they talking about a Murdaugh attorney and what has a friend of Alex got to do with the death of the housekeeper?

It's probably me, it confuses me. Clearly a settlement was reached, that much I get.
This was the Murdaugh's housekeeper that died in their home. See post #144 for background. ;)

This was the Murdaugh's housekeeper that died in their home. See post #144 for background. ;)
That part I get. It is clear a settlement was reached with the housekeeper's estate/attorney. The rest of the Tweet is confusing as to who and what. Not a big deal, I get the gist that it is settled.

In early September 2021, PMPED discovered that Alex Murdaugh had a bank account with Bank of America in the name of “Alexander Murdaugh d/b/a Forge”, a fictious entity that provides no services and makes no products for sale. It was further learned that Alex Murdaugh used this account to convert monies owed to PMPED and its clients to his own personal use.PMPED has determined that Alex Murdaugh was able to covertly steal these funds by disguising disbursements from settlements as payments to an annuity company, trust account or structured settlement for clients or as structured attorney’s fees that he had earned when in fact they were deposited into the fictious account at Bank of America.

In a Friday ruling by the South Carolina Supreme Court, Cory Fleming was placed on interim suspension, pending an investigation, under a statute that states “upon receipt of sufficient evidence demonstrating that a lawyer poses a substantial threat of serious harm to the public or to the administration of justice” the court may suspend an attorney.

The suspension is the latest legal snag for Fleming, a criminal defense lawyer for Moss, Kuhn, & Fleming, who has been accused in at least two lawsuits filed against Murdaugh.

“Cory Fleming is Alex Murdaugh’s best friend, his former college roommate, and his closest confidant,” Eric Bland, an attorney representing the sons of Murdaugh’s former housekeeper, told The Daily Beast last month. “There is a history of Murdaugh referring people to Fleming.”

VERY INFORMATIVE ARTICLE:

Attorneys for the heirs of the deceased Murdaugh housekeeper Gloria Satterfield are seeking a court order to force the Hampton banker who oversaw the distribution of $4.3 million in insurance proceeds to explain why none of the money reached the heirs. A civil lawsuit filed last month in state court already alleges banker Chad Westendorf participated in a scheme with attorneys Alex Murdaugh and Cory Fleming to deprive Satterfield’s heirs of their inheritance. But a new motion in that case by attorneys Eric Bland and Ronnie Richter lays out fresh details about the money Westendorf was supposed to oversee for the heirs and how that money was handled.

Westendorf served as personal representative for the heirs, Tony Satterfield and Brian Harriott. In that position, Westendorf was responsible for overseeing the distribution of four insurance checks totaling $4.3 million flowing into Satterfield’s estate, the new motion says.

The new motion, which questions whether Westendorf acted properly in fulfilling his role as personal representative, said the four checks were:

▪ A BB&T check dated Dec. 4, 2018, for $505,000, payable to “Chad Westendorf, as Personal Representative of the Estate of Gloria Satterfield, and Moss Kuhn & Fleming, PA, (and) endorsed by Westendorf.”

▪ A Jan. 7, 2019, BB&T check for $10,000, made payable to “Chad Westendorf” and endorsed by Westendorf. ▪ An April 18, 2019, BB&T check for $3.8 million, made payable to “Chad Westendorf, as Personal Representative of the Estate of Gloria Satterfield, and Moss Kuhn & Fleming, PA as Attorney” and endorsed by Westendorf. ▪ A May 13, 2019, BB&T check for $20,000, made payable to “Chad Westendorf” and endorsed by Westendorf.

Westendorf was supposed to keep the heirs up to date on money he handled, but the two heirs were never informed of any of the four checks, the motion alleges. Under a court order signed by S.C. Judge Carmen Mullen in May 2019, the heirs were supposed to be paid $2.765 million of the $4.3 million, according to the motion. “They were not paid one dime,” the motion says. The motion also says that Westendorf received $30,000 in fees from the insurance proceeds, money that he wasn’t supposed to take.

MORE:

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article254964022.html#storylink=cpy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back