DAN MARKEL: Florida v Magbanua, Garcia, & Adelson in murder-for-hire *Magbanua & Adelson GUILTY*

220px-Dan_Markel.jpg

Leon Circuit Judge James C. Hankinson set an April 13 trial date for Katherine Magbanua, whose charges in the murder of Florida State law professor Dan Markel ended in mistrial earlier this month.

Magbanua, wearing a blue Leon County Detention Center jumpsuit, appeared in the courtroom with her attorneys, Chris DeCoste and Tara Kawass. Hankinson asked about her legal representation moving forward; DeCoste said he and Kawass intend to continue defending her.

To me, it's over for Donna and I think that's the reason my interest lately is focused solely on Wendi.
Speaking of such, I recently heard the testimony of Jeffrey Lacasse from one of Katherine Magbanuas's trials- I think it was the 2nd trial- and I, as did most of the courtroom- literally laughed out loud when, responding to something Wendi told him, he said something like "well, that's tricky because she may have lied about lying". Lol!
Anyway, I don't know if anyone here has seen the following video. It shows Wendi's route the day of the murder compared to what she said in her police statement and trial testimonies.

Wendi definitely needs to go down. I think she is the one most want to see face justice no doubt.

I ran into this yesterday. I didn't realize until I was into it that it was from back in March so even before Charlie's trial. It is long but they make a good case again Wendi with a LOT of points. Worth a watch imo. I'd say there is enough against Wendi. Of course she has some limited immunity but not for all. These people are sooo full of themselves that I don't even have words. Charlie was bad enough but watching Wendi testify was a total ick factor. The woman thinks she is very special and a prize and smarter than all and covered in this she thinks normal innocent "sweet" demeanor of she didn't do anything, isn't the type, calm, etc. She is a snake. They don't even realize their answers and behavior is telling and not normal and that all the evidence shows them for what they are despite their acting.

This isn't a case I followed closely over the years. Or got really into. I kind of fell into it more so when Charlie's trial was recently going on.

This video I share says Wendi was jealous of Dan's success and stature as a professor versus hers, and was competitive with him. I don't know how he was but whether both or even one is that way, that makes for a very bad relationship. I've seen such in my life and in fact seen an entire family like that and it extends to who is the parent's favorite, who is loved more, etc. and it is a sickening thing to watch and deal with for people or an unfortunate spouse who come from "normal" families and they then are also a "rival" to beat in what is supposed to be a marriage of partners. I've seen it extend to their own children who they become jealous of or compete with. A lot of control and battles for it. And a heck of a lot of "games". This seems to be the Adelsons to a T. I don't have the words for such but can only say if you've ever seen it or been around such, it is so dysfunctional it can't be explained, at least I can't explain it and so opposite of an imperfect but "normal" family... Anyhow, again I don't have the words and that's a rabbit hole all on its own I had better avoid and not sidetrack further into.

I plan to watch the video you posted next. when I get a chance. Here is the one I am talking of. These guys are new to me, it is the only one of theirs I have seen but it looks like they have a ton of videos on this case.

Well Donna is already complaining that jail is not the Ritz and her attys have filed what news is calling an emergency motion and asking for house arrest. FAT chance. Saw an STS live show. Lee also has a show on it.

Last edited:
I guess we will find out more at her hearing on Monday. Additionally, I can't imagine that the judge will grant her bail nor house arrest.
Nor can I, I mean, I think surely she requires more supervision than a house arrest could provide.
I agree. Any judge worth his/her salt or who wants to be re-elected or stay on the bench would never agree to that but then I could not believe it when in the Jennifer Dulos case, Fortis and Michelle were released on ankle monitors either...

Of course news/podcasts are hyping it.

And it is also no surprise she would claim things, whine and play it from the get go. I'd expect this throughout with her honestly. And her attorneys.

Listening to one by Lee. I guess at the time of arrest or thereabouts they not only took Donna's phone, etc but had a couple of Harvey's and his IPad. Sometime after they went for a warrant to get the right to search is and sounds as if that was granted.

She's unsure if the basis would be to look at his phones for evidence against Donna who is now in jail or if is because the have evidence against him and that was enough for cause to search his phones...

Interesting anyhow...

This part is in the begging minutes of the video if you wan to hear it and the dates of all but don't want to watch the entire video.

Jeff Burlew
Tallahassee Democrat
December 11, 2023

Donna Adelson pleaded not guilty Monday to charges of first-degree murder, conspiracy and solicitation in the 2014 murder-for-hire killing of her former son-in-law, Dan Markel.

Adelson, 73, of Miami, appeared before Leon Circuit Judge Stephen Everett for arraignment and a hearing on a motion filed by her defense last week to move her off suicide watch at the Leon County Detention Facility.

It was the first time Adelson, who was arrested Nov. 13 in Miami and transported to the Leon County Detention Facility on Nov. 20, appeared in person in a Tallahassee courtroom.

Wearing a purple jail jumpsuit, handcuffs and leg shackles and appearing gaunt, Adelson was at times animated in the courtroom as officials discussed her incarceration. She sat with her attorney, Marissel Descalzo of Miami, at the defense table in Courtroom 3G, where her son, Charlie Adelson, was tried and convicted last month.

Donna Adelson audibly scoffed, saying "Oh my God" — prompting Everett to admonish her — after an attorney for the Leon County Sheriff’s Office said she had made statements about killing herself before her arrest and later during her arrival at the jail.

“Mrs. Adelson, please keep your comments to yourself and let your lawyer argue on your behalf,” Everett said.

“I’m sorry,” she told the judge.

Everett also shot down a request by Descalzo to intervene in Adelson’s incarceration and order an independent psychological evaluation of Donna Adelson designed to move her off suicide watch. Descalzo complained in court filings last week that her client had been denied medicine, eating utensils and the ability to communicate with her except for one monitored phone call.

<snip>

Meanwhile, Everett set Donna Adelson’s next court appearance for Jan. 9. Assistant State Attorney Georgia Cappleman said she had already provided discovery to the defense.

I've read criticism directed at her attorney but she comes across to me as pretty darn good.
You think so? I guess it depends on what your' looking at. I agree she made good points, was fairly quick thinking and showed her client I guess he was worth the $$ she is being paid bu doing and saying as asked to by Donna.

I'm a bit surprised the judge didn't come down a bit harsher on them both but maybe knowledge of live coverage does that or maybe he's truly that nice, not been what I've seen generally in life considering the claims did not belong in front of him and Donna had no respect for the court nor behaved as would be wise.

The judge made it clear it was not his power or right to interfere in the decisions of the sheriff and jail and they weren't attempting to resolve this in the correct forum. An attorney would or should know this and so I don't know if I'd call her good in that respect or if a "show" was wanted and she sure didn't win. Half the claims they had made per news and filings were not even argued. Furthermore, she made it clear and had to admit most of what she did argue she had no firsthand knowledge of and had not seen herself and so Donna was on her own as to whether such were even true. So overall, all of that makes her look inexperienced and starting right out wasting the Court's time without much foundation. Additionally she had never asked for Donna's medical file from the jail and more before proceeding with this and couldn't confirm things from it. Oh she did make it a mini trial questioning a jailer was it who isn't the one to know all she was asking.

At best it was a show for her client or TV and at worst she isn't very good and hadn't done her homework or tried with the correct avenues first and wasted the Court's time.

The judge made it clear with his questioning of what they tried to sn*w, that she is being treated no differently when someone has threatened self harm than anyone else would be. She had a few good arguments against some of it or tried to get there but she hadn't done her homework and again she couldn't back it up, hadn't inquired, claimed she had tried to make contact but couldn't back that up with an email to the jail or anything else. Or again Donna's medical file.

And so I can see what you mean that she did not lie down and argued well and was quick on her feet to a point and represented her client but overall she was in the wrong, without basis and either is inexperienced or did this for show, some big emergency basis per the news they gave it, etc. She could not back up almost a single claim by her client nor say she knew such to be true or that she was being treated differently and so on.

Imo the judge could have come down harsher on her and he didn't but he very quietly and effectively pointed out repeatedly without even having to point it out that she was in the wrong, he has no power to interfere and wouldn't do so, that court is not the right way to handle it and the other side quietly without show pretty much showed she had not done her homework. So I wouldn't call that a good attorney in summary.

And again the judge was nice and could have come down a lot stronger in the fact she wasted the court's time, they had no basis and she had not done her homework and this gained them nothing and certainly did nothing for public perception either.

Donna was sneery and spoke out as you don't do at court like some spoiled rich woman who doesn't realize she's under arrest and not at the Ritz or even the Hilton.

Boy this entire family really is something else.

The most interesting thing really out of all of it and I'm not sure I think such should be allowed to go on IS Charlie's attorney went to see Charlie but instead used his time or part of it and his access to the jail to see Donna. All in all showing a working together and then he reported apparently to Donna's attorney, etc. And I'd say too probably to Charlie, etc. Mom and son in the same jail, how convenient. Charlie's atty is able to work with and see his client and has access and clearly Donna's atty and Donna were yelling within a couple of days of her being jailed and hadn't even done the work to set up access or waited until she was decided not to be a risk to herself and nothing was urgent and again half of the claims had no substance or weren't brought up nor argued. And she couldn't back up anything.

Her best argument was that Miami was it? Cleared her and had her in gen pop but that held no weight either for a few reasons I don't have time to go into and again she was addressing it in the wrong place and in the wrong way. And had not done her homework.

She made a show at the end when the other side said there was no attempted contact with them of asking for their business cards and email, etc. I guess so she could show in the future she had tried, etc. and to cover herself.

I have no idea what people were saying about her but all in all for these reasons, I don't think she's very good. She WAS good in arguing on her feet and staying the course but she also was not admonished or come down on hard and allowed to make it a mini trial to a point, a lot of leeway imo the other side humored with as did the judge. She wasn't made a fool of but she could have been.

So I did watch it as I'm sure one can tell and that's my take on it.

I've been trying to wrap my head around the reason why Wendi would have told Charlie's joke to the TV repairman and then tell the police that she'd told the TV repairman the joke and I think this YouTuber's nailed it!
(Beginning at about 25:00.)

I've been trying to wrap my head around the reason why Wendi would have told Charlie's joke to the TV repairman and then tell the police that she'd told the TV repairman the joke and I think this YouTuber's nailed it!
(Beginning at about 25:00.)

There is a special place in He!! reserved for Wendi. Reservation confirmed!

There is a special place in He!! reserved for Wendi. Reservation confirmed!
I think so too. I haven't been able to watch the full video above and am just starting to but throughout, this is one messed up family but Wendi no doubt is the leader/reason. Donna is close and helped create Wendi but I think Wendi is the most manipulative, self serving one in the bunch imo. lDonna though is close and their dynamic is part of it. Wendi learned to get her mom to e the one to take the lead ...

This is only 9 minutes. We all probably know of most of the calls and many have probably heard all or some butt this has no podcaster video, just one full call of her playing Charlie and Mom\s call (dad once or twice in it) right after his conviction/day of.
I find it VERY interesting. Now if none of us knew the things we know in this case, one would feel sorry for this family. Someone thinking all defendants are falsely charged would feel for this family.

Charlie thought he was going to go free that day. So did mom apparently. And they are trying to realize that did not happen and deal with it.

I think in this one it is very obvious they know they are recorded, especially with Charlie. Ma pretty much follows his lead and pa says something once or twice.

If we didn't k know the things we know, I think my heart would break for them. But that isn't the case.

Amazing he is low on funds, first mention almost, with the money for fleeing and more, I don't think Donna and Harvey are broke. Again if I didn't know sh*t about this family and the behavior, my heart would break for them all. But I do and it doesn't. I do think there is true devastation.

And as always uhm where is Wendi...

Florida law professor Dan Markel’s murder on ‘Dateline’​

Friday on “Dateline,” a report on the stunning new twist in the murder-for-hire plot involving a prominent Florida family that left law professor Dan Markel dead and a grandmother arrested.

The two-hour special features the latest details following the dramatic trial of Markel’s former brother-in-law Charlie Adelson and newly obtained police bodycam footage of the arrest of Markel’s former mother-in-law Donna Adelson.

By CBS Miami Team
February 13, 2024 / 6:53 AM EST / CBS/AP

FORT LAUDERDALE - A judge has set a September 30th trial date for Donna Adelson who is accused in a murder for hire plot.

Adelson is charged with first-degree murder, conspiracy, and solicitation in what prosecutors allege was a murder-for-hire killing of Florida State University law professor Dan Markel, her former son-in-law, in 2014.

Adelson allegedly conspired with her son Dr. Charlie Adelson to kill Markel who was in the middle of a nasty custody battle with her daughter.

According to prosecutors, Charlie Adelson arranged the killing so his sister could move back to the Fort Lauderdale area from Tallahassee with her two children. Wendi Adelson had been unable to return to South Florida because Markel had joint custody of their young children after a highly contentious divorce.

During Charlie's trial, Wendi was asked about a million-dollar offer to Dan to allow her to relocate and she testified that though there was an idea of the offer, it wasn't made because she didn't want to (what?!), however, Charlie's testimony was that he was on-board with the idea and thought the offer was made but refused and I believe that and so I can only imagine what Charlie was thinking as he sat there having learned otherwise!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migueljum
Back