2 weeks after dramatically reduced bail, suspect murders 25 year old walking his dog

One of two suspects arrested in Philadelphia in connection to the death of a 25-year-old Temple University graduate shot while walking his dog had been freed just two weeks earlier on bail dramatically reduced in part because of coronavirus pandemic-related court closures.​

District Attorney Larry Krasner said in a statement Sunday night that his office had argued in two separate cases last year that 20-year-old Davis L. Josephus be held in jail, "yet bail was lowered by judges over our objections." Josephus is facing several charges, including murder, conspiracy, robbery and illegal firearm offenses after allegedly shooting Milan Loncar in Brewerytown Wednesday.

Davis L. Josephus's bail was reduced from $200,000 to $12,000.​

Josephus – who had been arrested five times since January 2019 -- was charged on Feb. 19, 2020, with 11 counts, including kidnapping for ransom, robbery, car theft, firearms violations and other charges, in connection to an incident that previous July. The victim, in that case, was an Uber driver, Jane Roh, a spokesperson for Krasner, told The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Bail was initially set at $100,000, but months later Senior Municipal Court Judge Teresa Carr Deni lowered that amount to just $20,000 after the eighth time authorities scheduled and then failed to hold a preliminary hearing for the case, partially due to pandemic-related courthouse closures.
1610988445384.png
On Dec. 29, Josephus again posted the required 10% – just $1,200. Sixteen days later, on Jan. 13, Loncar was killed.

kdg411

Administrator
Staff member
38117344-9159279-Milan_Loncar_was_a_25_year_old_Temple_University_graduate-a-5_1610972981014.jpg

Davis L. Josephus, has been charged with murder, first-degree conspiracy, second-degree robbery and illegal firearms offenses, Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner announced Sunday.

✂️

Court records show Josephus has been arrested five times since January 2019. He was charged last February with kidnapping for ransom, robbery and car theft, and remained in prison for most of 2020.

Krasner, whose bail policies have drawn criticism, said that his office argued that Josephus's bail was lowered by judges over prosecutors' objections.

"So we are clear, the District Attorney's Office does not set bail," Kranser said. "The judiciary sets bail, after hearing arguments from the prosecution and the defense. We will have more to say on this matter as more information from our partners in the criminal justice system becomes available."

Kimster

Let's Find Michael Bryson!
Staff member
This kind of thing is scaring me. In Oregon, they are planning to close down three prisons! Our state is not that big And they’ve already complained about overcrowding. Where do they think these people are going to go? I know where they’re going to go! On our streets!

GrandmaBear

Deputized Emu Slayer/Horse Thief Hunter
This kind of thing is scaring me. In Oregon, they are planning to close down three prisons! Our state is not that big And they’ve already complained about overcrowding. Where do they think these people are going to go? I know where they’re going to go! On our streets!
I tell you I am not one to protest but people really need to start getting upset about this happening and saying something about it. We all just think there is nothing we can do any more with what they keep doing in this country but murderers or several time felons released is ridiculous.

Mel70

Detention expert.
Exactly. Great plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KLH