1. Did DEANNE HASTINGS leave on her own, or was it foul play?
    You decide!
    Check out her story, airing on Investigation Discovery's "Disappeared" show
    next Sunday, June 25th, at 9/8c.
    Then come discuss the case with us!

Click Here to go to Deanne's case information

Dismiss Notice
  2. “Some quit due to slow progress,
    Never grasping the fact that slow progress is progress.”

See how you can identify someone and send them home!

Click here for more info!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CWadmin@crimewatchers.net

WI KAYLA BERG: Missing from Antigo, WI - 11 Aug 2009 - Age 15

Discussion in 'Missing 2000 to 2009' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Sep 20, 2015.

1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Kayla Berg has been missing from Wisconsin since 2009.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Kayla was last seen in Antigo, Wisconsin on August 11, 2009. She was last known to be with a friend, Kevin Kielcheski, 24. He says he dropped her off at her boyfriend's home in Wausau, Wisconsin between 9:00 and 11:00 pm. He said it looked like no one was home as all of the lights were off, and he never saw her go inside.

Authorities initially thought Kayla was a runaway. Her boyfriend denied having seen her at all that night. Kielcheski is no longer cooperating with the investigation.

The FBI is offering a $20,000 reward for information leading to the arrest(s) and conviction(s) of the individual(s) responsible for this crime.

NCMEC - http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/1129610/1

Charley Project - http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/berg_kayla.html

NamUs - https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/5239/0/

FBI - https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/kayla-may-berg/view

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/index.php?media/kayla-berg-missing-from-wisconsin.820/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2015
  2. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Family, friends mark Antigo teen's disappearance with vigil

6 years. That's how long Hope Sprenger has been waiting to find her daughter, Kayla Berg.

Duley says numerous interviews conducted and tips gathered haven't yet uncovered information that would get police any closer to finding where Kayla is.

"Those tips will continue to come in and at some point, something's gonna lead to the correct information."

In September 2009, police believed Kayla was with friends who were withholding her whereabouts, however due to the amount of time that has passed they no longer believe that is the case.

In October 2009, a charge of second degree reckless endangerment was filed against a now 30-year-old man who gave Berg the ride to Wausau. The Antigo Police Chief said by filing charge they hoped it would push those who know what happened to Kayla, to come forward.

In May 2011, Sgt. Dan Duley of the Antigo Police Department said “things of interest were found” were found on the man's property, but there was no indication that Berg was on his property. He declined to say what the items were. The case was dismissed in August of 2011.

http://www.wsaw.com/fox/home/headlines/6-year-mark-nears-as--321267281.html

3. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Where is Kayla Berg? 7 years pass since Antigo teen was seen

It's been seven years since Kayla Berg seemingly vanished into thin air. Berg, who will turn 23-years-old later this month, was last seen on August 11, 2009.

On Thursday, seven years later, 700 hundred balloons dotted the Antigo sky, filled with hope that Kayla will find her way home. Her family and friends said the anniversary gets harder each year.

http://www.wsaw.com/content/news/Wh...ass-since-Antigo-teen-was-seen-389911391.html

4. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Story of Missing Antigo Teen picked up by national TV show

The story of a missing Antigo teen is about to go national, as the case was picked up by Investigation Discovery for their series called Disappeared.

Friends of the family like Shanon Nahrath also believe the show will help break the case.

"I'm thinking somebody might finally come out and talk," Nahrath said. "I'm thinking it might help."

Sprenger hopes that the case going on a national level will help end the nightmare.

"It's really an emotional roller coaster that never goes away and never gets easier," Sprenger said.

Producers of the show did not want to comment on Kayla's case at this time.

http://www.waow.com/story/33295636/...ing-antigo-teen-picked-up-by-national-tv-show

Akoya, spike, walkie-talkie and 2 others like this.
  5. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Missing Wisconsin Woman maybe in a Youtube Video Yelling and Chained

Antigo Police Chief Eric Roller told NewsChannel 7 Monday they are aware of a Youtube video showing a man introducing his new girlfriend, that appears to be a young woman held captive.

Sunday, a blog was posted on social media site, Imgur attempting to make a connection to the disappearance of Kayla Berg.

The video, titled “Hi Walter! I got a new gf today!” shows a man talking to camera about how he met a girl and they went shopping. The minute long clip concludes as the man introduces the woman – yelling and chained in a bathroom.

This video was originally posted in October 2009, but now has more than 930,000 view --- most likely due to the suspicion of a Kayla Berg connection.

Chief Roller said they investigate any leads and tips about Kayla Berg.

He said they have not yet tracked down the man in the video. If anyone has any information about the video, or the case, you're asked to call the Antigo Police Department at (715) 627-6411.

http://www.cbs58.com/story/33358788...-scene-on-a-youtube-video-yelling-and-chained

YouTube video investigated as possible lead in Kayla Berg disappearance

People saying they’re friends of Kayla are leaving comments on the video saying they’re troubled by it. Because of it’s disturbing nature, Action 2 News is not providing a direct link to the video.

A number of people posted their own YouTube videos claiming to debunk the “Hi Walter!” video as a hoax, based on their observations that Patrick’s excited talk sounds scripted and the woman doesn’t begin screaming until he opens the door.

http://wbay.com/2016/10/10/youtube-video-investigated-as-possible-lead-in-kayla-berg-disappearance/

Akoya, spike, walkie-talkie and 3 others like this.
  6. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Here's the video, if you want to watch it...

Akoya, spike, DaisyChains and 2 others like this.
  7. Paradise

Paradise Bronze Member

8. fran

fran Administrator Staff Member

I hope someone who knows this guy comes forward.

:(
    fran

Akoya, spike, walkie-talkie and 2 others like this.
  9. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

hm... it could be real. part of me thinks it is a sick internet prank, but it is important to suss out just in case it is not a prank. She does bare a reasonable enough resemblance to Kayla that it should be looked into.

10. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

its interesting that people are theorizing that maybe the video was intended as communication to a serial killer:

"Some Redditors have suggested that the message might be directed to Walter E. Ellis, a Milwaukee serial killer apprehended four days before Berg went missing.

The Milkwaukee Journal Sentinel writes:

Ellis’ DNA has been found on at least nine females killed between 1986 and 2007, Flynn said. Police officials have said they think someone else killed one of those victims, a white 16-year-old runaway whose throat was slashed. The other victims, all prostitutes and African-American, were strangled. And at least two were also stabbed.

But if Ellis is indeed “Walter,” they are still looking for “Patrick,” the man in the video.

Police have descended on a home in Marathon County, Wisconsin, but were unable to locate anyone.

The official Facebook page of the Antigo Police Department has turned to the public for help."

I also hate that her mother says it sounds and looks like her daughter, even down to possibly wearing the same type of clothing.

http://heavy.com/news/2016/10/who-is-walter-patrick-kayla-berg-kidnapping-video-suspects/

Berg’s mother, Hope Sprenger, told ABC News affiliate WAOW Wisconin 9 that the video could be her missing daughter. “[It] sounded like her, looked like her, it gave me chills… Disturbing. It made me sick to my stomach. The clothing could be a big possibility. We do believe she was wearing that type of shirt, we know she had jeans. I thought it looked a lot like her. I pray to God it’s not.”

Antigo Police confirmed that the girl in the video does look like Berg.

Police Chief Eric Roller told ABC 2 WBAY News about the people in the video, “We’ll do whatever we can to find out who’s in there and identify them. Sometimes that’s hard on the web because of wherever this stuff may originate from [but] we’re going to do everything we can to get to the bottom of it.”

However, some YouTube commenters believe the video is a hoax because the man, who calls himself Patrick, sounds scripted.

Watch the video above. Viewer discretion is advised.

Akoya, spike, Kimster and 3 others like this.
  11. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I haven't seen the video but if her mom thinks it could be her, then they really need to get to the bottom of it.

Akoya, spike and Paradise like this.
  12. walkie-talkie

walkie-talkie Can you hear me now?

Antigo Police Department
    27 mins ·
    October 12, 2016

The Antigo Police Department was able to verify that the Youtube.com video, Hi Walter! It’s me Patrick! Was a fake video and does not relate to an actual abduction or any illegal activity.

The Antigo Police Department was able to make contact with the producer of the short clip and the two actors in the video. We determined that they produced the video as a series of videos and posted this one in October 2011. They did not intend to depict any reference to our missing Kayla Berg.

We will continue to investigate all tips and leads that we receive regarding our missing Kayla Berg and will do whatever possible to find clues to Kayla’s disappearance.

Our thoughts and prayers remain with the family and friends of Kayla as they had to endure many different emotions over the last few days as we investigated the source of the video.

We appreciate all the cooperation we received from the media and outside sources that assisted us in determining the video origin.

Chief Roller
    Antigo Police Department

https://www.facebook.com/AntigoPoliceDepartment/posts/1147658891970474

13. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Glad it's a fake. Kind of figured it was. But still beyond creepy. Especially that people think that kind of stuff is funny.

Akoya, spike, Paradise and 1 other person like this.
  14. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

New Kayla Berg sign to be displayed in Antigo

Soon anyone who drives through Antigo will see a new reminder that Kayla Berg is still missing.

The 15-year-old disappeared in August 2009. Police still have not solved the case.

They're hoping a new sign will catch people's attention and maybe prompt someone to come forward with new information.

Antigo police were on their way to Madison last spring to take Kayla's mom, Hope Sprenger, to a memorial for missing children. On the way, they stopped in Lodi at Belco Vehicle Solutions, LLC, which is the company that helps Antigo police with their cars. They introduced Sprenger to the workers at Belco. Then, the company's leaders felt compelled to make new signs to remind people of Kayla.

Antigo Police received the signs earlier this month. They are made of aluminum. Police want to put the signs on Highway 45 near the Country Market signs. That's where the old Kayla Berg sign was, but police took it down last fall when weather wore it out.

Sprenger hopes the sign will bring some sign of Kayla.

http://www.wjfw.com/email_story.html?SKU=20170216191542

[​IMG]

Akoya, spike and walkie-talkie like this.
  15. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

EXCLUSIVE: Unmasked – the internet's cruelest hoaxer. Man behind creepy Hi Walter! video which led to false hopes of solving mystery of missing girl is revealed – and says he has no remorse for traumatizing her mother

It was a viral video which raised the hopes of a mother that her missing daughter could still be alive, eight years after she vanished.

The clip, which came to be known as Hi Walter! featured a portly man who appeared to have a girl captive and chained.

It was so convincing that police mounted a lengthy investigation into whether the girl was Kayla Berg, last seen alive in 2009 when she was 15, in her hometown of Antigo, Wisconsin.

But they concluded the video was a hoax, and its perpetrators were a mystery.

Now DailyMail.com can reveal the hoax was perpetrated by two men and a woman from upstate New York, led by a single 36-year-old computer sci-fi fan, Michael Maton.

Confronted over his part in the hoax, Maton initially called it 'slander', but then admitted he was the man on screen – and blamed the 'media' for not understanding the 'fictional web horror' movie.

At his shabby house close to Utica, he emerged at 1pm apparently just having been woken up, and claimed the film was 'artistic' and that the film was meant to be part of 'a web series about the Zodiac killer.'

He said: 'We who created the video did so with no intention of harming any one or to correlate to any actual event.

'There was no intention of causing emotional harm to any persons.

'It was not a hoax or a prank which would have the connotations of causing harm or malice, it was at the time something we considered harmless and meant to be part of a fictional web horror miniseries.

'We didn't continue the series as it lacked the interest from our small circle of viewers at the time and was forgotten about.

'We apologize that the internet and media took an internet fictional video and via misinformation, bad research, and conclusion jumping caused any emotional distress to anyone.

'However, as said before we had no intention when making the video, which was years ago, in causing any emotional harm or correlation to any actual event or persons. It was a work of fiction.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4286854/Unmasked-internet-hoaxer-Hi-Walter-viral-video.html

Akoya and spike like this.
  16. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Transport Company Unveils Kayla Berg Trailer, Hopes for New Leads

Thursday, Hope Sprenger, Kayla Berg's Mom, got to see a 53-foot-long trailer with information on her missing daughter.

The trailer will be traveling the country as part of Karl's Transport's fleet of trucks. The company makes deliveries all over the United States.

Detective Sergeant Dan Duley says this is a way to get more eyes on the case that the Antigo Police Department wouldn't have been able to afford.

http://www.cbs58.com/story/34938234/transport-company-unveils-kayla-berg-trailer-hopes-for-new-leads

[​IMG]

Akoya, spike and Kimster like this.
  17. Kimster

Kayla Berg was dropped off at her boyfriend's house in 2009, never to be seen again.

Check out her story, airing on Investigation Discovery's "Disappeared" show this Sunday, June 4th, at 9/8c, and then come back to discuss her case!

TripleA, Akoya and Paradise like this.
  18. Takeitfromme

Takeitfromme Professional Journalist/News Reporter

Watching it now. Catching bits and pieces of it.

Kimster likes this.
  19. Kimster

I watched. I feel so terrible for the family. They were going through so much. 2009 was rough on me, too. I understand why it took awhile to grasp that Kayla was in danger. :tears:

20. TripleA

TripleA Zoo Keeper

Kayla had no idea that she was in danger - she was just having fun and getting away with whatever she could. Given the fact of how close she was to that specific group of friends and boys, I don't feel like she was meeting up with or running off with a stranger from the internet or anything like that, it feels to me like the most likely person involved is Kevin. Miguel is not out of the realm of possibility IMO, but he is secondary.

The old phone of Miguel's may have been in Kayla's possession - maybe he gave it to her to keep in contact with him without her parents knowing. The issue in the show is the investigators say "the cell phone pings...3 hours after" and "two short calls are received" but I can't figure out who received the calls. Did the old phone receive the calls from someone else calling in, or did the old phone make the calls and if so, WHO received the two short unanswered calls?? Did Miguel's current phone receive the calls? Was she calling him for help? Did Kevin find the phone on her when he was harming/burying Kayla and figure he could use it as an alibi to show that his own phone did not ping up there? Did Miguel meet her at his old house for privacy and something went wrong and so he made those calls figuring they would not check his old number? Why won't Miguel just tell them who had his old phone if he is not involved? I went back and rewatched that part of the show several times and still can't get the answer to that question. Does anyone know?

When I think back to being close to Kayla's age (maybe just a year or so older), I realize how lucky I am to be alive. I also remember feeling safe and invincible, even though I was putting myself in horrible and unsafe situations. I had no idea how dangerous my choices were at the time. I am not blaming Kayla's mom at all, but I do wonder how Kayla was getting away with staying out so much and for several days at a time. I understand teens staying at a friends' houses during the summer months, but I never send my kids anywhere without talking to the other's teens' parents to confirm where they will be. I think that Kayla's mom was a bit naive about Kayla being out and about with friends and also naive about older boys spending so much time with these young girls, even if they were family friends.

IMO, Kayla is buried out there somewhere and there are no strangers involved. My heart breaks for her family and friends.