1. DAISY CHAINS SENDS NEDDRA ANTHONY HOME AFTER 19 YEARS!

Click HERE to learn more!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. “Some quit due to slow progress,
    Never grasping the fact that slow progress is progress.”

See how you can identify someone and send them home!

Click here for more info!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CWadmin@crimewatchers.net

ELIZABETH MEMBREY: Missing (presumed murdered) from Ringwood, VIC - 1994

Discussion in 'Australia: Cold Cases' started by Lily, May 21, 2015.

1. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

This a bit of a strange one.

[​IMG]

• Date Of Birth: June 6, 1972
      • Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 years old
      • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5"-5'6" (166 cm)
      • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; gray eyes.
      • AKA: Elizabeth
    Elisabeth was last seen when she left her job at the Manhattan Hotel, Ringwood, Victoria at approximately 23:45 on Tuesday, 6 December, 1994.

Forensic evidence indicates Elisabeth was murdered at her house, her body driven away in her red Mazda, which was later returned to the unit.

Police believe a known visitor was let in. Sometime later she was attacked in the hallway and killed.
    The killer spent hours trying to conceal the crime. The hallway wall was washed and a deep bloodstain on the carpet was attempted to be cleaned.
    Police believe the killer wrapped Membrey's body in her doona and put it in the back seat of her Mazda. They believe she is located along dirt roads within 100 kilometers of the Ringwood unit. They believe the car was returned 3 hours later.

The car showed dust and soil consistent with the Kinglake and Silvan areas, that was wedged in the wheel trims and doors.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases-int/1452dfvic.html

Shane Andrew Bond was arrested for her murder and faced trial in 2012:
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/ju...lisabeth-membrey/story-e6frf7jo-1226277085009

However, he was acquitted:

The case against him was circumstantial. No physical evidence linked him to Membrey. No fingerprints. No DNA. And there were unknowns, like the three sets of unidentified fingerprints and an unidentified shoe print in the flat. The case rested on 17-year-old memories, some of which, in legal terms, were of dubious reliability.

And there was the fingernail found amid the hallway bloodstain that couldn't be tied to anyone. Iddles thinks the prosecution erred in not pointing out that the fingernail was clipped: "We did not point out that it was not a torn fingernail. It looked bad for the prosecution but it was not as bad as it looked. Who stands in the middle of a fight clipping their nails? Perhaps it was shifted there in the clean-up that followed Membrey's killing, but we did not address it."

The jury deliberated for eight days and found Bond not guilty. He sobbed and fled the court on April 28, behind sunglasses and within the defensive clutch of his family.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/the-membrey-files-20120608-1zqrp.html

^ This a really good overview of the case, very worth reading.

Elizabeth is still missing. Like the police, I tend to consider this a murder case, rather than a missing persons.

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...embrey-missing-from-australia-since-1994.239/

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2015
    spike, MarlyWings and MissyMoo like this.
  2. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

3. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Terribly sad wasn't it, MissyMoo? Just heartbreaking.

I think Elizabeth's killer was somebody who knew her intimately, and for some reason went to a great deal of effort and risk to make it appear as though she'd simply vanished rather than leaving her to be found in her home.

Here's my thinking:

- The killer spent a long time cleaning up what sounds like copious amounts of blood from her home. He/she also removed Elizabeth from the house in her own car, drove her somewhere out into the mountains, then returned her car to her driveway. WHY? Well, I think this indicates somebody with a powerful and very unhealthy obsession with Elizabeth. Usually, this sort of cleanup happens when the killer lives at home with the victim. In this case, he (or she) did not. So why risk the hours to clean, why risk moving her car and back again?

I thought perhaps he'd left evidence of himself on her, hence taking her body away to hide it. But why clean house? It makes little sense. Perhaps he cut himself, and his blood was all over the place too. But why bring her car back? That was enormously risky behaviour - and indeed, there were witnesses to the car having been moved. Why take that risk?

One scenario that makes sense of this, is that it was all about wanting to "possess" her, have control of her life and death, utterly. He (the odds very much are that it's a 'he') was not satisfied with having killed her (and god knows what else). He took her away, somewhere private, somewhere only he knew or would ever likely know, rather than allowing her to be found at home and then be out of his hands forever.

In the absence (that I can see) of anyone in that home or around it having reason to want ot hide the blood, move the car, bring it back, make her look 'vanished', I am inclined to think her killer wanted to keep Elizabeth all to himself. And her being simply "missing" rather than "murdered" (which the blood and missing car would point to rather quickly) I think he was hoping for time wasted in police/family assuming she was gone of her own free will, or in a missing persons search, to give him more time to move/visit her body without an immediate heavy police eye on the case. And/or himself (but not being an experienced killer, and I think he was not, he got a lot of it wrong).

Perhaps he's visited her from time to time, wherever she is.

spike, MarlyWings and MissyMoo like this.
  4. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

http://www.news.com.au/national/jur...lisabeth-membrey/story-e6frfkvr-1226277522247

More detail on Shane Bond in link. I'm with you on the 'if I can't have you no body can'. She was a beautiful girl and would have caught the eye of many, both welcomed and not so welcomed attention. I remember her hair was the look of the time, everyone wanted long curls like that. i can't find any info on MSM regarding other suspects, only him.

5. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

The only traces left behind when Elisabeth Membrey disappeared were bloodstains in her house and a half-finished letter.

More than 22 years later the body of the young Melbourne woman has never been found and no-one has been imprisoned for what police believe is a murder.

After the night of December 6, 1994, it appeared someone had tried to clean her Ringwood apartment of bloodstains and her doona was missing, The Herald Sun reported.

\
    Ms Membrey, a 22-year-old aspiring journalist, had intended to spend the night she went missing with her boyfriend, but she was called in to her work at a pub and finished about midnight.

She was never seen again.

They believed her body was wrapped in her doona and the car used to dispose of it.

According to The Herald Sun, red dirt was found in the tyres of Me Membrey's red Mazda and forensics indicated the car had been driven for about four hours at 60-70 kilometres per hour.

She only drove her car on sealed roads, leading police to believe the killer drove the vehicle.

And in 2015, internet sleuths tried their hand at helping with the investigation.

One proposed Ms Membrey's body was on a property less than an hour from where she lived.

On it, a track of red soil - similar to that in the victim's car's tyres - led directly to a dam.

Police searches at numerous locations turned up nothing.

<snip>

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...h-Membrey-body-never-found.html#ixzz4vzGJxftH
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WARNING: Graphic photos at above link ^^^^^

spike likes this.
  6. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Jeez.. looks like he's dragged her down the hall.. and omg, the amount of blood in the underside of the carpet. :(

Glad she's still getting media attention. Poor girl.. this is one of the cases that's always in my thoughts.

spike likes this.
  7. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

crime scene video.. first thing that struck me was how neat and tidy her little home was. Just reflects what sort of person she was, I guess..

spike likes this.
  8. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

in depth story.... just heartbreaking

spike likes this.