1. Zoe Campos disappeared from Lubbock, Texas in 2013.

Check out her story, "Into the Night", airing on Investigation Discovery's "Disappeared" series Sunday, April 30th at 9/8c.
    Then come back here and discuss with us!

Click Here for Zoe's thread!

Dismiss Notice
  2. “Some quit due to slow progress,
    Never grasping the fact that slow progress is progress.”

See how you can identify someone and send them home!

Click here for more info!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CWadmin@crimewatchers.net

CHERYL GRIMMER, 3yo missing/abducted, Fairy Meadow beach, NSW, 1970 *ARREST 2017*

Discussion in 'Australia: Cold Cases' started by Lily, Apr 15, 2016.

1. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Main Stream Media

24th March 2017

Some details of the re-enactment -VIDEO AT THE LINK also:
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...0/news-story/4129a82d4ade67e1dbb52e97c87af117

The two veteran policeman, both with decades of experience, were relentless in chasing down every possible lead.
    Last year they did a detailed re-enactment of events with the three brothers and two other men who, as children, were also at the shower block on the day.
    The re-enactment unearthed new information about exactly where Cheryl was, with police believing she was grabbed near a water bubbler.

TIMELINE -
    Parents died not knowing

January 12, 1970: Cheryl disappears from shower block at Fairy Meadow beach

Jan 14, 1970: Cheryl’s parents and three brothers plead for information

Jan 15, 1970: Police get a note claiming Cheryl is safe and demanding $10,000 but no kidnapper ever turns up at the meeting point

2008: A woman comes forward to say she believes she could be Cheryl but there is no DNA match

May 2011: More than 40 years after the disappearance, Coroner Sharon Freund rules Cheryl is dead

2013: Cheryl’s brothers make a deathbed promise to their mother Carole to never stop looking for her little girl. Both Cheryl’s parents died not knowing what happened to her

Nov. 2016: Police and Cheryl’s brothers re-enact the day Cheryl disappeared

Dec. 5, 2016: Police announce they have uncovered a potential new suspect

Jan 2017: Detectives announce they want to speak to pupils and staff from the former Mount Penang Training School near Gosford

March 22, 2017: Police arrest a 63-year-old man in Melbourne

upload_2017-3-24_15-15-6.png upload_2017-3-24_15-15-31.png

Lily, MissyMoo and Kimster like this.
  2. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

In hindsight now, its interesting you said that way back then Kimster - he is alive.
    And I hope there is no more that we'll find out about.

Lily, MissyMoo and Kimster like this.
  3. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Main Stream Media
    24th March 2017

Brother of murdered toddler Cheryl Grimmer robbed of chance to look alleged killer in the eye
    http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...d-of-chance-to-look-alleged-killer-in-the-eye
    *[My additions]
    The brother of three-year-old Cheryl Grimmer, who was allegedly abducted from a NSW beach and murdered 47 years ago, has missed out on looking her accused killer in the eye
    after *he [the accused] elected not to appear in court today.
    -----
    [the arrested man]... *He elected not to appear in the docks at Wollongong Local Court this morning, where his lawyer Laura Fennell made no application for bail and it was formally refused.
    Ms Fennell requested the court provide the accused with urgent psychiatric attention.
    -----
    Cheryl’s brother Stephen attended the court proceeding in the hope of being able to set eyes on the man charged with allegedly killing his sister.
    “We were expecting to see him in court today, yes, but that’s not to be,” he told reporters outside court.
    “We’re going to have to wait (until the next court date) and that’ll only be a video link.”
    Mr Grimmer became emotional as he spoke, admitting he was wearing sunglasses to hide his tears.
    “It’s a bit upsetting,” he said.
    -----
    The accused is set to appear in court again on May 24.

Lily, Kimster and MissyMoo like this.
  4. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

@MULDER dodgy times in SA in that era for sure.
    Kirste Gordon and Joanne Ratcliffe, i know they still suspect Hart for that one but creeps have that sick way of crossing paths and sticking together.

MULDER, Lily and Kimster like this.
  5. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

6. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

MissyMoo, Lily, spike and 1 other person like this.
  7. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

I'm with you there - totally strange reaction reported.
    But Im glad the Police found them.

@MissyMoo
    Police have found the British family who may have witnessed Cheryl Grimmer abduction

Police said today inquiries through Interpol and media outlets had led investigators to the family in Nottinghamshire, England.
    Mavis Goodyear spoke to police along with her husband and daughters all those years ago. She told the Daily Mail she would help any way she could.

“I thought it was all behind us, well in the past. I didn’t think it would be brought back up again but you know what they say, your past will always come back to bite you.”
    At the time Peter Goodyear told police he saw a man running away from the shower changing rooms with a limp, blond girl in his arms.

Mrs Goodyear was shocked to see her family were on the TV news in relation to the case, which was one of Australia’s most enduring mysteries.
    “It’s not nice to come in from the garden and see yourself on the telly, not nice at all,” she told the Mail.
    One of her daughters lives close to her, while another lives in Inverness.

After the breakthrough last month, Detective Inspector Brad Ainsworth said the circumstances of the case were horrific.
    He said it’s believed Cheryl was taken from the front of the surf club, not the back as originally thought, and that her death occurred within an hour or so after that.

As a teenager he was interviewed by police after Cheryl’s disappearance but charges were not laid.
    The man, who cannot be named, will next appear in court on May 24.

MissyMoo, Lily and spike like this.
  8. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

As he should be, just for the mere fact he let the family suffer for DECADES.

MissyMoo, MULDER and Lily like this.
  9. TripleA

TripleA Zoo Keeper

So, I am confused. Did he confess? Did he give them the details?

MissyMoo and MULDER like this.
  10. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

I don't know - I sounded like there was some details the Police obtained that no one knew about, for examples that Cheryl was murdered 1 hour after she disappeared.
    But since there has been the mental health aspect of the case, and the man being charged with the murder as an Adult - and searching further for witnesses.
    It sounds like his lawyer may be putting up some walls around the accused, so the police are going all out to get the conviction necessary over Cheryl's murder.

Some more details and info re: Witness search
    upload_2017-4-18_23-56-15.png upload_2017-4-19_0-1-45.png

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...er-goodyear-key-witness-to-grimmer-abduction/
    Calling Peter Goodyear, crucial witness to Grimmer cold case
    Angela Thompson and Glen Humphries
    13 Apr 2017, 10:30 a.m.

Peter William Aubrey Goodyear, then aged 37, his wife, Mavis, and daughters, Karen, aged six, and Jannette, aged five, were living at the Fairy Meadow Commonwealth Hostel at the time.
    According to reports from the day, Mr Goodyear told police he saw a man running from the area with a motionless, fair-haired girl under his arm, the day Cheryl vanished.

“I saw a little, dark man carrying a limp, blond-haired girl to the car. My daughter said to me, ‘Daddy, why is that man carrying that little girl?’,” Mr Goodyear told reporters.

Mr Goodyear worked as a labourer at the John Lysaght Springhill metal works in the Illawarra before he moved his family to the ‘Biabi’ plantation on Kar Kar Island, Madang, Papua New Guinea in late 1970.
    The Goodyears later returned home to England and were last believed to be living in Oxton in Nottinghamshire.
    Late last month, officers attached to Strike Force Wessel charged a 63-year-old Melbourne man with the abduction and murder of three-year-old Cheryl.

MissyMoo and Lily like this.
  11. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

What really irritates me is the suppression order, i get that he was under 18 at the time, but COME ON that was 47 years ago, its such BS.

Lily, MULDER and Cupcake like this.
  12. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Maybe now that he will be tried as an adult, this might change - and in light of the upcoming court dates, his name will be released.
    It may also help to jog other peoples memory if they have a name attached to this case.

Lily likes this.