1. “Some quit due to slow progress,
    Never grasping the fact that slow progress is progress.”

See how you can identify someone and send them home!

Click here for more info!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CWadmin@crimewatchers.net

NY CANARSIE PARK JANE DOE: BF, 16-25, found in Brooklyn, NY -Sept 1998 *Identified! Neddra Anthony*

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by Kimster, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

1998 - Brooklyn, New York

On September 10, 1998, the skeletal remains of this unknown female was found by sanitation workers in a wooded area of Canarsie Park, near Seaview Avenue in Brooklyn. The woman's body was covered with garbage.

The body was of a black female with hair described only as "curly".(the length of her hair was not disclosed). Anthropological analysis resulted in an estim...ated age of 16-25 years old.

The woman stood approximately 5 feet 6 inches tall. No weight estimate was provided, No clothing description has been disclosed, and since weight estimates of skeletal remains are often based on clothing sizes, the illustration below is based only on the average normal weight for a woman of her age range.

17 years after the discovery of this woman's remains, she is still UNIDENTIFIED.

(Note: This depiction is based on a skull, and a one-word written description of her hair ("curly"). Fine details, such as the shape of her eyes, and lips, the hair length and hairstyle, etc. are not intended to be exact depictions.) by Carl Koppelman

brooklyn2.jpg

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...mber-1998-unidentified-brooklyn-newyork.1043/

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    DaisyChains, Akoya, Scorpio and 2 others like this.
  2. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

possibles:

Neddra Anthony missing from Brooklyn NY about 3 months prior to this UID being found. http://www.nampn.org/cases/anthony_neddra.html

Jacqueline Ellis, though missing from Louisiana a few months earlier, is a similar height to the jane doe. http://www.nampn.org/cases/ellis_jacqueline.html

Michelle Eason who was murdered by a serial killer in NY in 1997 yet her body never found http://www.nampn.org/cases/eason_michelle.html

Brenwanda was last seen at approximately 7:00pm by co-workers outside her place of employment, the Septa depot on the corner of Old York Road and Luzerne Avenue in Philadelphia, PA. She had gotten off work earlier that day and was seen back out in front of her job and told co-workers that she was waiting for a ride when they offered to take her home. http://www.nampn.org/cases/smith_brenwanda.html

thats all i have so far for 1998 and 1997 that interested me as possible matches. since she was skeletal remains im guessing the post mortem interval was at least a month or longer.

STEADFAST, Akoya, Scorpio and 3 others like this.
  3. DaisyChains

It's looking like Neddra Anthony is the best match thus far. Missing from near where the body was found. An accurate postmortem interval. Height and age are pretty spot on.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/anthony_neddra.html

Going to send Neddra in as a potential match later today.

4. DaisyChains

Just sent Neddra in to the Chief Med Examiner's office. took me a minute to find the contact. Let's hope there can be a match and finally some closure and possibly even justice.

STEADFAST, noZme, Steve and 5 others like this.
  5. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

You did it! you brought Needra back to her family. :happydance:

http://www.doenetwork.org/closed2017.php
    Neddra Anthony (2334DFNY) has been identified as 1328UFNY through DNA testing per NYPD. No further information is available.

6. Kimster

Oh my gosh! A MATCH!

This is absolutely wonderful! I'm so proud of you, Daisy! :cheering::cheering::cheering:

7. Kimster

From the North American Missing website:
    Anthony was last seen on July 3, 1998 in the vicinity of Linden Boulevard and East 51st Street in Brooklyn, New York.

8. Kimster

I have to say, I'm truly surprised that a woman missing from Brooklyn in July 1998 wasn't looked at more closely when remains were found in Brooklyn in Sept 1998.

What happened?

9. Kimster

Better load up Neddra's picture before it disappears from the internet.

May God bless her family during this time of loss. :vigil:

anthony_neddra.jpg

10. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Rest in Peace, Neddra.

11. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

12. Kimster

Thank you for that side by side. Carl did a great job on those cheeks and nose. I wish Neddra's picture showed her smile and she didn't look like she's squinting.

13. FlandersFields

FlandersFields Well-Known Member

High five to Daisy Chains! Thank you for being so dedicated to this effort. You did a great deed to the world, there is one less Jane Doe out there, and Needra Anthony has made it home! God Bless! :sunburst:

14. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

15. DaisyChains

We stand with you Neddra Anthony! You finally are going home. <3

16. DaisyChains

I am wondering the same thing! I sent the submission in straight to the coroner - not via NamUs. I remember having a hard time finding the contact info for the coroner - there was a new email or something? Maybe there was just an issue with contacts between the coroner with the NYPD and NamUs but that is just a wild guess. I would think someone in LE would have thought Neddra was the best match when her remains were discovered, but I’m not sure when Neddra was reported missing. If it was long after the case of her unidentified remains went cold maybe that could account for why it wasn’t caught?

I’ve kind of found a bit more luck directly contacting the coroner’s office instead of relying on NamUs bc I think NamUs has a lot of submissions coming in that they follow up on. Lots of work for those good people.

17. DaisyChains

I am seeing on the other site that Neddra was being looked into long before advocates began posting about her remains and such. It seems that they were running her DNA for some time - and that it can takes months to years to get it processed if it’s a cold case (at least in Neddra’s case). So I think NYPD thought of this match for a while. Why it took multiple advocates and years of waiting for DNA to process I don’t know.

18. DaisyChains

“FYI I did submit Neddra Anthony as a potential match and was informed OCME had already been exploring this possibility and are looking for DNA from Neddra to test. Hopefully this will be a match!“. This is from a member at the other site in October of 2015. I guess they finally found a source for her DNA?

Again - I do like contacting the coroner directly myself. I feel it puts a fire under their you know what or at the very least reminds them.

19. Kimster

Thank you for the great advice! I know the State medical examiner in Oregon is very attuned to solving unidentifieds in this state. If I had any submissions here, I'd certainly send them straight to her first.